web analytics

Forgotten Man Determined To Prove He Can Play At Newcastle

The Chronicle have an excellent report on Rolando Aarons and his struggle to get back into the fold at Newcastle United.

We all know of Rolando’s struggle with fitness at Newcastle which has not only hampered his development but led to him being left out of the squad recently.

He was ready to breakthrough three years ago when Rafa Benitez had him in the first-team in Rafa’s first full season in charge.

It all went terribly wrong as he broke a bone in his foot just four games into that season. Then when he was about to return from his foot injury, he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in training.

He has featured sparingly for Newcastle since those injuires and has had three separate loan spells at Hellas Verona, Slovan Liberec, and most recently under Steve Bruce at Sheffield Wednesday.

He has been interviewed by the Chronicle and this is what he has said about his optimism for this coming season:

“I want to be back to the way I was.

“I’m just the same (as well-wishing fans), I go into another season feeling optimistic and this season is the same for me.

“I want to play Premier League and I think I am good enough to play Premier League.

“I am fit for a shirt at Newcastle. I am buzzing.

“I only ever just wanted to play for Newcastle United and now I’m back.”

We certainly hope Rolando can get back to the way he was when we thought we had a possible superstar at the club. He’s had some outstanding performances like the 3-3 draw at St James Park against Crystal Palace in August of 2014.

However, he would suffer a thigh injury after that game that kept him out until he had a shock start against Manchester City in the League Cup towards the end of October where he was outstanding only to be withdrawn at half-time.

He was possibly brought back too soon in that thrilling win against Manchester City and would make a start the following game at Liverpool only to suffer a hamstring injury that kept him out until May.

Now he hopes this is all behind him and he can get back into form. He feels now is the perfect time to resurrect his career at Newcastle.

Steve Bruce recently said that all players will have a clean slate under him. It looks like Aarons will take this new opportunity and run with it.

This is what he has said about Steve Bruce and his new chance at Newcastle:

“I know Steve Bruce really well.

“He took me on loan last season and he gave me that chance.

“So it’s nice to get that chance to play for him again.”

“It’s the clean break I have been waiting for.

“In the last few years I haven’t been playing as much I wanted.

“The year before last I did my ACL.

“Hopefully now I get the game time I have thrived and start playing for the club week in, week out.”

We hope Aarons can stay fit and earn a place in the team. If he can find any consistency and remain injury-free, he may just be able to have an impact this season.

• G

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:43 AM

I hope he does get a chance, and I also hope he starts to fulfil his potential.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:46 AM

He must look at atsu and Murphy and Ritchie (when he was a winger) and think I’m just as good as them. If we had decent wingers though he’d struggle to get in

• toon22

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Two small roundabouts in Shirebrook

😉

• toon22

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:48 AM

After reading that post last thread we can really hurt him there

• geordietom

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:50 AM

repost …

i hope his tat empire goes bust …

• RobLeenio

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:51 AM

I honestly don’t know how good this lad can be. I really hope he can be amazing and I think he might have had that potential at one point, but I think big chunks of his normal development process have been wrecked by injury.

I guess whether he stays or goes is Bruce’s call and probably depends on who else comes in or out over the next couple of weeks.

• G

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:53 AM

I’m all for giving him the chance RobLeenio. Certainly in our remaining friendlies.

• RobLeenio

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:56 AM

Chi Onwurah still working the Political Elite on our behalf and making some progress on some points

• Moonraker15

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:57 AM

Aarons is another one who had too much, too soon! So much potential but I’d be amazed if he makes it at the top level much as I’d love it if he did.

• RobLeenio

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:58 AM

G, agreed – and I think Bruce will do so, given he had him at Sheff Weds last season and he did quite well.

Same goes for Lazaar, by the way, who I think the Sheff Wed fans thought was the better player.

I think we just haven’t seen enough of either of them to judge, honestly.

• Pain in the Blog

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00 AM

Rafa somehow managed to greatly improve the fitness record of the squad (though it seems that Aarons slipped through the net). Does anyone know whether the medical and fitness teams are still in situ or can we expect to return to being the sick man of the EPL?

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00 AM

Toon22,
    Or that best western bar he has weekly meetings in. (Its mentioned in Dubai’s lengthy post).

• Moonraker15

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:02 AM

It’s all about work rate doesn’t matter how much skill you have! And he doesn’t work hard!

• oldarse

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM

The next Mike Williamson If oldarse ignored you Tony, he’d cease to exist. You having a go at me

• geordie157

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Aarons when he first appeared in the sides reminded me a lot of Sterling before he developed into the player he is now.

I hope he stays injury free and impresses. And no I’m not saying he’s the next sterling, just think there’s potential there.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:04 AM

I can’t recall hearing of Aarons being injured in recent years. He’s had a couple of so-so loans but think he’d remained fit. The main thing is he performed well under Bruce so Bruce will want two men favourable towards him in and around the squad. I’d sell atsu as there’s not much between them. Atsus better overall but Aarons has end product which we need.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM

I had such high hopes for Aarons just I did for Armstrong and Campbell and look at how those turned out. Sadly I feel this lad will follow the same route. He seems too injury prone and lightweight for me. I doubt he’ll become a success and we should sell him while we can. That being said he is homegrown and we need a few of those so might be best to keep him until January at least.

• oldarse

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM

The next Mike Williamson Have you got any BALLs at all answer my question

• toon22

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM

The bar will anger him
    Those two roundabouts in Shirebrook will prevent him making money at every shop he has

• Genjikai

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:07 AM

Rob check your mail

• toon22

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:08 AM

Oldarse

Wanting to cause arguments?
    Very poor

One of JIBs alts will be along soon enough

Hahahahaha

• Asi Fish

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:08 AM

Good luck to Aarons and all the other players – take the chance whilst you can.

Genjikai & One Fine Day – just seen the tweet ref Charnley’s wreath.
    Good drills 🙂

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM

Yeah, just saying leave it out, both of you. Its repetitive. Been going on all day every day for weeks. You wind him up and niggle him until he inevitably blows his top and wages war on the entire universe. I can’t be arsed reading that nonsense another day. Youve said about ten times youll ignore him so do it. Ignore each other, simple.

• Asi Fish

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM

i liked a lot of players and was suprised they never made it – Harris Vuckic springs to mind.

We seem to have these youngsters that remind us of top players when younger but they never fulfil the potential. Shame.

• oldarse

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:13 AM

No toon22 but accusations of the likes of Williamson I will not take absolute Naive of a poster patter stinks football knowledge NIL end of

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:15 AM

How sad that all these players deemed not good enough by an elite manager are now being talked about as never being given a chance, they’re being brought back because five first team players have been let go and they have no intentions of spending to bring replace them. It doesn’t matter that Colback and Saivet are not good enough because they are not purples and will not feature much, competition for places will now be seen as a bygone era and not to mentioned in the workplace, see rule number one and two.

• oldarse

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM

Williamson you sound like a Balooney lover mate I tried every way to stop him wrecking the blog mate, my joy in the mornings was to go on the blog cup of coffee and catch up from the night shift high light on my morning’s great patter until the great disrupter arrived.

• Sad Frog II

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:20 AM

St James needs you more than ever! What can you do? Every little thing counts. Ashley is not buying players if you don`t give him extreme pressure, together “Yes we can!”

#boycott, #pray, #voodoo; #shoutitoutloud

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:56 AM

geordie157

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM

That was exactly my first impressions of Aaron’s. He reminded me of Sterling. When he got the ball in those early days something always happened to get you out of your seat.
    It may have been injuries, lack of opportunity such as a loan spell or confidence issues. Some just dont train on. Some end up in court for being a d**khead. He may come good, I hope he does because there is loads of natural ability.