web analytics

Mike Ashley Tries To Atone For Newcastle Mistakes But It’s Too Little Too Late

In an exclusive interview with the Daily Mail, Mike Ashley has seemingly atoned for all of his Newcastle mistakes. And while there have been many, we have to wonder why this is being done now. Well, our wondering is complete. It did not take too long to come to the conclusion that he is now willing to talk because he is in a heap of trouble.

We have to understand that this is a man in the abyss at the moment. This is a wounded animal with his back against the wall and he will do anything to escape the clutches of culpability. His empire is crumbling around him and we must take that into account no matter what he says.

While we accept his admonishments of how poorly he has run this football club, we are skeptical as to the true nature of his comments.

Why is he saying this now, on one of the darkest days of his career as a businessman? Where were these comments when Newcastle fans were in an unnavigable darkness as to the direction of this club? Nothing then when one of the best things to happen to this club in well over a decade walked away to China of all places.

So, it is now that he comments on Rafa. A full month after he released a statement of his departure. Not good enough. Not by a long shot. We’ve had a month to stew over this and now he comes out looking for sympathy. Like Rafa is the villain. Well, it’s too late for that. If what he says has any bearing on reality, then it should have been said long ago. It rings hollow now.

It is now that he makes these comments. Now when he does a mea culpa. Now when his skin is on the line. Nothing before. Nothing when Newcastle United fans were left on a razor’s edge between joy and despair. Now he comments when “no comment” has been his signature motto.

We have provided the link to the interview with Mike Ashley if anyone wants to read it. We do suggest that you do. These are the comments you would want from your owner. These are the comments that Mike Ashley should have made over a decade ago. The fact that he makes them today when his beloved Sports Direct is crumbling, speaks volumes.

He knows exactly what needs to be done to run this football club. He can play the mea culpa and the “I was naive” game all he wants. He has known all along what was needed, and he willfully failed to run this club as it deserved to be run. He failed us.

Again, a lot of what he says is absolutely correct. But why now? In conclusion, it has a lot to do with his current situation.

And Mike, if you truly believe what you say, it’s never too late to prove it. Invest in this club. I’ll call your bluff. Go on and prove that your words have meaning.

I’ll not hold my breath.

• optimistic prime

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:41 AM

If Ashley is so desperate to sell why doesn’t he float it on the stock market.

Probably because hes screwed the club so much in reality it’s only worth half what he wants.

• geordiemark

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:41 AM

ashley has really bitten more then he can chew the way i see it and really it couldnt happen to a nicer guy could it, imagine come monday and we hear more tax evasions coming in from other countries and our very own tax department also looking into him it just couldnt get any better could it, ashleys greed is all to see but he isnt the only one though good old philip green is another one theres many of them and its always us who has to pay for it well not this time mr ashley 🙂

• toon22

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:42 AM

RobLeenio

Or he wins and keeps those people as slaves ,while making sure he keeps em coming

Forever

It has to end somewhere, you seem to not be happy its over and the whole mess might be sorted

Lets hope he keeps them as slaves ?
    Its for the best ?

Really ?>

• toon22

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:43 AM

Can you see why anyone might disagree ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:44 AM

too22 OK let me try to clarify your error.

Your comment was.

‘Im not here to just argue lol

Im here to poke fun at the PR

Its been a right laugh as they are utter amateurs lol

Fish in a barrel’

If the shills are indeed amateurs then your constant criticism of them is completely invalidated and cannot be on anyone’s payroll.

Simples!

• RobLeenio

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:46 AM

toon22, I told you not to address me until you read my post. By the way you’re still challenging me, I assume you haven’t done so.

That makes you either ignorant or thick as pigsh!t. Which one is it?

We’re on the same side, you tube.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:46 AM

Very interested to see what sort of side emerges from the Preston game.

Will we we see a 3322, with Shelvey quarterbacking, or a 442, or 343 like last term.

Quite keen on seeing this team emerge, from what we have right now.

…………………….Dubravka.
    ……….Schar…….Lascelles…..Fernandez.
    Manquillo…………Shelvey……………..Ritchie.
    ……………Hayden………….Longstaff.
    ………………..Joelinton..Almiron.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:49 AM

Nicky
    Bloody ell mate a football comment, are you mad? 🙂

• Slatymag

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:49 AM

@ robleenio

Good posts! Unfortunately these staged interviews such as what has come out tonight will never pose these questions. Let’s hope the media finally starts to turn the screw and starts to actually ASK instead of being TOLD.

His stock is falling in all quarters. Pretty soon I can see him becoming a laughing stock.

• RobLeenio

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:51 AM

Munster, sadly, you’re absolutely right – just one more indictment on the state of journalism in this country currently. How can they even go into such a rare interview without being appraised of the actual facts of the matter?

Can you imagine someone like Peston doing that? How do sports journalists get away with being so consistently dreadful?

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Worst thing is, if bzg do have billions to pump into a football club and we’ve missed out by 10m, its going to hurt like hell watching Everton be bought and making it a big 7 while were stuck with a lifetime of McParduces.

• optimistic prime

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Educate your friends.

Hit them with the truth and facts.

It’s your duty to defend YOUR club and its future.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:52 AM

We’ll that Ashley interview certainly made for interesting reading. It’s like waiting for a bus with Mike. You don’t hear a thing for years and then you get a whole bunch of information at once.

I can’t believe he’s trying to pin the blame on Rafa wanting away. Of course Rafa wanted out. Why should he trust anything Ashley would have ‘promised’ him. He’s been a chain around Rafa’s neck for long enough now. I honestly think he would have stayed and continued his project if he’d been dealing with a more honest owner.

He knew the fans loved him. He wasn’t far from his family in Liverpool. He saw the potential we had and what we needed to do to progress but he knew it was going to be like swimming in quicksand. The fact he went to China wasn’t because he could earn more money there. He saw a project with enthusiastic owners who wanted to support him financially to build a winning team.

Rafa is already incredibly wealthy, he didn’t move abroad purely for the money he could earn. He’s a true footballing gent who loves a challenge, but it isn’t a challenge at Newcastle when know you’ve got no chance of progressing no matter what you do!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:53 AM

But as you’ve made it, that looks very much like a potential 1st team for most of the season.

I reckon we’ll see a few of the fringe players starting again, for example I’ll be surprised if Colback isn’t in the team.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:56 AM

TNMW

Yeah Everton do look like a team with real ambition, their new stadium looks good.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:58 AM

And Mike’s comment about BZG and what difference wound ten million quid have made? That’s a joke. That amount of money to Ashley (despite his wealth) is obviously still considered a lot to him because of all his haggling over a million here and there when trying to negotiate transfers. We missed out on Dele Alli by a small amount, right? But now he’s saying what’s the big deal about asking for a bit more when selling the club? You can’t have it both ways Mike!

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:58 AM

Nicky, I look at the team I’m optimistic. I remember the boss, I’m pessimistic. If this was F1 we’d have a decent car, but Mrs doubtfire driving it.

• RobLeenio

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:59 AM

Bill, Nicky – I reckon that line up is pretty close to our first team, though maybe Dubs for Fernandez and Ki for Shelvey (possibly).

I think you’d line up with Hayden and Longstaff nominally behind Shelvey, but with Shelvey having a bit of freedom to roam.

Until Lejeune comes back, look for Lobby taking the ball from the defence and spraying it upfield. This is undoubtedly one of Shelvey’s strengths, but I want to see him further upfield.

Is Gayle fit? If so, he should get at least some playing time.

• toon kk

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:59 AM

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:05 AM

Rob

Dubs for Fernandez?

Sorry I cherry picked that line. 🙂

I realise you meant Dummett!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:06 AM

Although a sweeper type GK mmmmm!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:06 AM

It’s a nice enough looking 11 Bill, but we lack the depth and quality right now to cope with injuries and suspension if we go into the season with it, particularly at left wing back, midfield probably, and certainly up top.

• RobLeenio

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:08 AM

Lol, cheers Bill – yep, probably switching from political mode to footy mode too fast.

Love Dubravka, not sure about him as a LB.

😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:08 AM

I’ll be surprised if Almiron starts tomorrow, more likely to come on in the 2nd half.

• Howay50

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:12 AM

Jabba, you give cnuts around the world a bad name. Never have I read such utter contemptible sh1t in all my life. Shame on the Mail for peddling this crap.

ASHLIE OUT

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:15 AM

I feel as though Bruce might get a team like that to play, but I know I tend to err on the bright side when it comes to the possibilities on the pitch. No doubt though with a few key additions, along the lines of Maxx, Bowen and a proper number 9 to compete with Joelinton, Bruce will have been given the tools.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:17 AM

Nicky

I reckon that a lot of the yunguns could provide a healthy depth to the 1st team squad, not saying that we wouldn’t benefit from a couple of new signings.

The Chelsea kid looks like a good addition, probably get some game time today ( I keep putting tomorrow but that of course is Sunday)

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:18 AM

Oh and S_O_R_E_N_S_E_N! 😉

• soundoid

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:22 AM

Ashley is a charlatan cheap trick market trader. He’s done the I’m selling trick one too many times give him no Oxygen.

• dougie

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:24 AM

The mans a stinking rat,it’s only a matter of time before karma grabs him,twists him round then fcuks him up.You know it’s coming Mikey boy!I can’t fcuking wait.That Cnut Bishop is just as bad.Its getting to the point now where someone’s going to go out their way to hurt him or that knacker Charnley.Its only a matter of time.

• toon22

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:27 AM

Rob

You takes to me first
    Sill don’t care to be honest

Whatever

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:30 AM

Bill, I think Ki and Shelvey provide good competition for each other, if we go with a Pirlo style quarterback, but I don’t see much real competition for Longstaff and Hayden ahead of either of one of them, because Longstaff and Hayden both have very good quality, running and physical presence. Too early for Matty Longstaff I think. Kyle Scott looks quite promising, but a little light weight. Then there’s Saivet and Colback, who probably aren’t quite there either as cover. If we play that way, I think we’ll need one more dynamic midfielder. If we play 343 maybe we have enough in Shelvey, Ki, Hayden, Longstaff and Scott.

• one fine day

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:32 AM

This is starting to look like the last days of the third Reich.
    Seriously i think its time for rafa to drop his dignified silence since leaving and take his gloves off after that article and set a few things straight .
    11 years ago even i may have believed some of what he(ashley) said but these days ..not a chance

• The Wife

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:41 AM

RobLeenio – Not much chance of me writing any articles on the blog, lol. I’m not as savvy as Ed and Neil when it comes to the inner workings of The Beautiful Game.

This might get me run out of here with torches and pitchforks, but when I met Neil I was a devout Spurs supporter. Still am! They’ve come a long way, and I greatly admire Son and his style of play. But obviously being part of the Harrison clan means I now have a split alliance. I watch the Spurs when I can, but Newcastle definitely get top billing.

• ChicoUSA

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:55 AM

I have a wee tear in my eye for poor little Mike Ashley! Such
    a repentant bloke!

Oh and then I suddenly remember he is a liar and an a$$hole!

Ashley Out Now!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:58 AM

The Wife

Not football, OK but how about some good sandwich fillings, or music musings, this is or can be quite an eclectic blog!

🙂

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:59 AM

The Wife – a Spurs supporter?! Heathen! I kid. There’s worse teams to support. At least you didn’t pick Man U. I think you’d have been chased off the blog 🙂

• carltoon

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:00 AM

How can that man come out with such outrages lies. How many times did Rafa state he wanted a project, how he just wanted the club run professional. An upgrade for the academy and training facilities. How many times did Rafa spend in the close season getting list of the players he wanted only to be left without any till the last day to be given loans and cheap second rate players. How can he besmirch Rafa’s good name HOW DARE HE. I’m pleased Rafa went to China. Hope Ashley rots in he’ll.

• Scythe For Bruce

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:00 AM

EGB – sandwich fillings and music is fine, but no politics, religion or cricket. Especially the last one!

• RobLeenio

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:01 AM

One Fine Day, during the last weeks and months of the Third Reich, Hitler’s Generals lied to him about the state of the war because to tell him the way events were actually occurring would have meant their instant execution.

So, these extremely strong and dedicated men, Hitler’s most trusted advisers, became the ultimate yes men, weaklings insulating him from the reality of his situation.

It didn’t help them at all. When the war ended, they all felt obliged to commit suicide, or were killed out of hand or were taken alive and put on trial for the despicable acts which they carried out in Hitler’s name.

You say that Ashley’s empire reminds you of the Third Reich, I give you the recent resigning / dismissal a couple of weeks ago of two of Ashley’s most trusted lieutenants at Sports Direct, Karen Byers and Cameron Olsen. These were those who dared to speak out and tell him how things were and were metaphorically executed, perhaps.

I give you Jon Kempster, Head of Finance, forced to leave today. This time it was likely a cabal of execs giving Ashley a fall guy to cover their backs – metaphorically stabbed in his own.

Finally, I give you this latest deluded interview, Ashley’s version of propaganda trotted out by Martin Samuel, ironically perhaps Ashley’s very own Goebbels.

How can he say those things and actually believe them, unless there are fools behind him feeding him nonsense and lies?

The parallels with the last days of the Reich are real. I only hope that Ashley’s empire falls as fast.