web analytics

Newcastle Defeat Hibs 3-1 In Very Lively Display

Newcastle defeated Hibernian 3-1 at Easter Road this afternoon in a pretty dominant display. This is the type of performance you would hope for in the penultimate pre-season fixture.

After taking a 2-1 lead into the half, Newcastle came out for the second half with an unchanged side and continued their lively play.

Joelinton was sent through early on but tried to pass it off to Hayden only for the keeper to collect it.

Ki Sung-yueng came on to replaced Sean Longstaff after 61 minutes. This was an excellent run out for the young midfielder who continues to impress as he returns from his knee injury.

Newcastle won a corner at 70 minutes and made a double substitute. Joelinton and Almiron came off after a very promising performance together. They were replaced by Yoshinori Muto and Jacob Murphy, who again has played been deployed as a second striker.

From the subsequent corner, it was Jamaal Lascelles who headed it home after being left unmarked to make it 3-1.

Newcastle then brought in Ciaran Clark for Paul Dummett. Clark has been linked with moves to both Crystal Palace and Bristol City over the past few days but he did get on for a good 20 minutes.

Jamie Sterry, Matty Longstaff, and Federico Fernandes then came on for Javier Manquillo, Jonjo Shelvey, and Fabian Schar. We must say it sounded like Javier Manquillo was superb this evening.

This was a very good run out for the lads but they need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal. It seems that Joelinton linked up really well with Almiron and that might bloom into a very good partnership.

We are still concerned about Martin Dubravka who did not make the trip again but there will be some relief if he is in goal against St-Etienne on Saturday.

Overall a very nice display at Hibernian with some fine performances as the team get more and more used to playing under Steve Bruce.

• lochinvar

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:41 PM

Dubs is at Lejeunes wedding, alledgedly, apparently ?

• lochinvar

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:45 PM

Does this win mean we’re now in the Scottish Cup and with a chance of Silver.

• toon22

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:45 PM

Was told to us by the PR

Its obviously bollix

You can see it from space lol

Got to keep that net spend down

• #BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:46 PM

Essex

It’s not jail its OP.

I watched it on Hibs TV not a twitter feed from behind the goal, sarcasm from the travelling support?

The only time we really had possession was our half, ball over the top looking for runners.

Very little pass and move, sat back and let Hibs have it. Hibs easily had the most possession and better play.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:46 PM

The scunnymag guy wasn’t too impressed with Joelinton, I thought he was a bit slow and his 1st touch at times was Diamesque. Needs to improve to be a £40m player.

• toon kk

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:48 PM

Good win for our lads tonight. Pleased it will help with confidence before the season starts.
    On transfers Ashley is running down the clock as usual. I honestly think he’s pleased Rafa has gone so he can once again have full control of the club without having to lie to Rafa.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:50 PM

EGB,
    I wasn’t watching I’ve been listening to my favourite twisty commentator Ando and I haven’t said a word about possession.

• Mindshaft

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:51 PM

Linton didn’t set price , Rafa said he was over priced at 20 million – let’s give him a chance
    He was 35 million not 40

• Mund

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:51 PM

repost

I still have that gut feeling we will have a good season under Newcastle standards at least but a good season all the same. I really want the team to do weill.

Im sick of feeling angry and depressed about this club. The last couple of month has been dreadful, emotions all over the place, effecting me at home with the family and around the work place. I normally have control over my emotions and like most got totally sucked into the takeover saga. But thats behind us now and we have broke our transfer record once again with Joelinton and yes i know its a snippet of the money we should have but hopefully we will spend a little more before the window is out. Looking at the team its not a bad squad we are just a few signings off having a good side but whether Bruce can get them delivering the goods will remain to be seen.

I hate Ashley and pray for the day he is gone but i will not let that rule my love for this club no more

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:51 PM

Ando said Jow Ellington looked very lively.

• #BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:51 PM

Essex

Hes not going to hold the ball up like Rondon, 1st touch is def suspect.

He took his goal well but had two other opportunities that a decent striker would bury without thinking.

Didn’t do to bad running with the ball but it was mostly out wide, no good if you want him scoring, as we do.

On what I saw £20m at best, hope he proves me wrong.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:53 PM

OP

Sorry, as I said earlier the name changes get confusing for my old brain.

Totally disagree on possession, even on the twitter feed we had more of the ball in both ends of the pitch lets see if any stats come up from somewhere!

There was one run of play when we had the ball for at least 10 minutes they couldn’t get near us and there were several periods like that, they didn’t.

Still if I’m wrong!

• #BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:53 PM

Anyone heard the whisper of improved offer for Longstaff today?

• Mund

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:55 PM

Why are people even considering judging a player of quality and worth after one pre season friendly is beyind me.

• Mund

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:55 PM

beyond

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:56 PM

EGB,
    Look at the avatars, I can understand Munster getting mixed up, after all he’s got sawdust for brains but not an old hand and Cornwall fan like you.

• Shelvey

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:56 PM

Give Joelinton a break already, Rondon was piss poor for 3 or 4 months. Much better to start the season with Joelinton than Rondon.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:56 PM

BoycottAshley

I don’t like doing this but here’s your comment.

#BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:16 PM

It’s been mostly Hibs, we’ve done very little.

Probs 70% possession to Hibs

Clarke on for Dummet

• toon22

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:57 PM

Its kind of pointless debating the game

It was pre season nowt game
    Until Jabbas gone were an elaborate advert

Business as usual

• toon22

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:57 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

Hiya

• toon22

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:58 PM

Shelvey

Yeh he was a pivotal player last year,best we have had in as long as i can remember

Better off without him

• #BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:58 PM

Bill

The last 5-10 minutes maybe.

I sat and watched it LIVE on their club tv, in the first 25mins of the second half we got in their final third three times, whilst they were camped in ours.

They didn’t do much as we had most of the team behind the ball.

Believe what you read I’ll believe what I saw.

• #BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:59 PM

Essex

I posted that

• toon22

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:59 PM

#BoycottAshley

If it can be sold it will be

Business as usual

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:59 PM

EGB,
    I’m temporarily #boycottArsenal

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:01 PM

Boycott Arsenal

OK I see my mistake, I don’t see Avatars on the PC and if you insist on having similar sounding names. My apologies.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:01 PM

http/www.specsavers.com

• #BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Essex

Mines one word

• Shelvey

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:02 PM

toon22 Rondon, the best we had as long as you can remember? Do not agree with that. Not hard to replace.

• #BoycottAshley

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Essex

Sorry, didn’t want to confuse

• toon kk

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:03 PM

Find it strange some people are downing Joelinton after a friendly. Give him a fair crack then we can comment with a accurate decision.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:04 PM

And now I’m really worried, toon22 said hiya without a mention of my paymaster.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:04 PM

Essex

To avoid the confusion I’ve stuck OP at the end

• check the toastie

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:05 PM

Joelinton reminds me of a young Patrick Kluivert but also a but like Carl Cort. We shall see eh. Demba Ba took time boys. Chill and support the kid unequivocally

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:08 PM

I agree you can’t judge a player on one game, just hope he looks better as the season progresses, especially for what was paid for him.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:09 PM

OP cheers, my own fault for not paying more attention! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:10 PM

Gotham time. later.

• Munster Mag

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:12 PM

Jail you repeat yourself all the time anyway and most 100% neggar poster say the same thing time after time. Hence the confusion with the other tool, who at least gave me an insight into the game, which was possibly beyond you. Being schooled by the other Boycott genius, takes a bit of doing but a football dunce like you could learn from most on here.

• RobLeenio

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:13 PM

It’s really difficult to separate the love of NUFC from a dislike of Ashley. How do we hurt him without hurting the club? I want the players to do well and by implication I therefore also want Bruce to do well, no matter how I feel about the manner of Rafa’s departure and the method of Bruce’s installation.

On the other hand, if the players and Bruce do well, that vindicates Ashley’s modus operandi and it also torpedoes the Boycott and any other planned protests. It essentially gives Ashley carte blanche to continue to treat this club with abandon and the supporters with contempt.

I used to advocate support the team but not the regime. I’ve since realised that you cannot separate the two and I think the majority of those who are boycotting have come to the same conclusion.

This is why I reached out to Jib this morning and this afternoon. Those who are giving up their tickets are sacrificing a huge amount but are actually taking a punt on the unknown. I respect them massively for that, but I also respect those who can’t do the same, for whatever reason. What we can’t do is point at folk and laugh for coming to a difficult decision and having the bottle to see it through.

What I can’t get behind are those who have never had a season ticket and are choosing this time to get one, which is essentially stabbing the guys who are making the sacrifice in the back. If anyone is considering this, please reconsider.

In a game of fine margins, every ticket sold will make a difference.