web analytics

Best Summer Spending For Four Years – But Tough Part Starts Now For Steve Bruce

This is turning out to be one of the best summer transfer windows under owner Mike Ashley since we spent over £50M net, back in 2015.

We had only just avoided relegation then under caretaker manager John Carver, after Alan Pardew had had enough, and left the club to join Crystal Palace in late 2014.

And Ashley seemed willing to put decent money out that summer for the likes of Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Chancel Mbemba, Florian Thauvin, and Ivan Toney – and all five players have since left the club.

Steve Bruce with Fabian Schar and Jack Colback

As a reminder here’s what we did in the summer transfer window four years ago – the summer before we were relegated again under Steve McClaren.

PlayerFeeClub
Ryan TaylorReleasedHull City
Jak AlnwickReleasedPort Vale
Adam CampbellReleasedNotts County
Remie StreeteReleasedPort Vale
Transfer Fees In£4.0M
Net Spend£52.6M

With the capture of Joelinton, Kyle Scott, Jake Turner, Jetro Willems, and Allan Saint-Maximin, it’s been a good window so far for us.

Here’s how we are doing at the moment.

PlayerFeeClub
Dan BarlaserSeason loanRotherham United
Freddie WoodmanSeason loanSwansea City
Nathan HarkerLoan - JanuaryBlyth Spartans
Jacob MurphySeason loanSheffield Wednesday
Transfer Fees into club£32.5M
Net Spend£25.0M

Newcastle have spent a net of £20M so far this summer and could end up actually spending money this summer as we did four years ago.

In the last three summers when Newcastle had world-class manager Rafa Benitez at the club – we made a profit of £31M in 2016, spent £12M net in 2017 and made a profit of £20M net last summer.

So at least for the three summer windows under Rafa, we made a profit of £39M.

You would have thought the time to spend money was when you have a world-class manager in place – who knows what he’s doing.

But it seemed like owner Mike Ashley wanted to retain control of the club and do it his way, as we found out six weeks ago when Rafa left.

So the club have reverted back to paying out the full fees for players and signing young players on long contracts.

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens, but that’s sound financial management.

The hard part starts now for Steve Bruce, but he’s done very well so far – given the toxic state of the club.

We hope Steve’s successful at Newcastle, but the main thing is for us to remain in the Premier League this season.

If Rafa had stayed, we had hoped to be looking higher than that – perhaps for a top-eight position.

We’ve had a top-eight position only once under Ashley when we somehow finished 5th back in 2012.

But maybe Steve Bruce and the lads can do that (top eight) this season – we certainly have the best squad we have had for several years.

So we have some hope for this season, and we’ll support Steve Bruce and the players as much as we can.

We also somehow have to force Mike Ashley to sell the club – hopefully before the end of the year.

• Tsunki

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Bills Son – again convenient memory loss. We have 12 years behind us that says give this current situation time before shooting your mouths off about this renaissance you are desperately pushing. You fell foul of this before are you no wiser?

This is still the same practice thst bought two relegations – yes TWO! Where’s your proof it won’t happen again, first of all?

• geordietom

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM

i was on the tv once interference …

na telling lies i was coming out of the magistrates court in Newcastle ( got done for driving offences ) got collared off Emlyn Hughes and a camera man , asking about Beardsley and Lineker playing for England in the world cup think it was 1986 . was on the tv that night had my 15 mins of fame …

• Jib

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM

OP
    They had an empty property on Sandgate done up
    as a YWCA and Jimmy is talking to a lass on the steps
    and then comes up to my FX4(black cab) talks to me
    through the drivers window climbs in the back and I drive off
    It was a night shoot

• dougie

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:24 PM

He was a right character Jimmy Bradford,ask him about the phone boxes!

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Tsunki – Some of the blog loudmouths think we have really poor recall. As if we forgot that the same characters were shouting down the sceptics over the imminent “sale” and how we would have to come crawling back to the blog begging forgiveness for our “abuse” of the ITK’s.

Not in my recall.

Jail, for example, was one of the biggest at shouting down ITK’s, especially Dubai Mickey.

You make out that so called pro MA bloggers were the ones calling the ITK’s and saying the likes of you “would have to come crawling back to the blog begging forgiveness for our “abuse”.

That, Tsunki, is pure and total invention on your part.

What was also be shouted down, by me for one, was the ludicrous suggestion that it was another fake sale concocted up by Ashley’s PR team as an excuse for not spending money during the transfer window.

Well, that load of baloney has now been put firmly to bed.

• Jib

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:28 PM

I also did a day shoot at the Old 5 Bridges hotel with Spender
    but I cannot remember much about it.
    except
    a It was very well paid
    b While I was there I bumped into the Rolling Stones
    signing in at reception and was amazed at how small they were.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:28 PM

I’ve never quite understood it when fans and pundits play down a player because nobody was after them. Not all clubs will be interested in all players, doesn’t make them bad.

Most recent example, Haller to West Ham. Brilliant player yet I don’t recall anyone else being after him other than West Ham.

• Jib

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:29 PM

I didn’t notice the size of Jaggers hands
    Ha ha ha
    😀

• geordietom

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM

loved that movie TOTAL RECALL…

the one with Arnie in the colin Farrell in was crap …

• dougie

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Can’t wait till they spend the next 50 million, who’s next?

• Tony Baloney

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Not trying to be funny today Tsunki.

Good!

Because you are normally as funny as Donald Trump at LGBT march.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM

Tsunki,

Where is the CURRENT mess??

After Rafa left it was supposed to be armageddon for NUFC according to the likes of you.

Instead, we’ve knocked back offers for Longstaff, Bruce has stated Dubravka and Schar are going nowhere and we’ve signed Jo and ASM to add to Almiron + it looks like there will be more to come.

Plus, the players clearly are not distraught and panicking about Rafa leaving + we’ve won 3 out of 4 Bruce managed pre-season games playing a brand of attacking football not seen under Rafa..

Yes, MA is still here, but where is the CURRENT mess?

IMO we are in a far better situation that most fans, including me, could have ever imagined 5/6 weeks ago.

• Tsunki

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Bill that’s great now you’re telling me what i should remember? There were a few of us that were very sceptical and I remember a lot of the things said about having to apologise to all and sundry, leave the blog, come crawling back etc. You weren’t around at the time because you were still under your hidey rock from your last debacle.

Who put the PR supposition to bed then bills son?

• Tsunki

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Tony @131 and is that you trying to be funny? What was your day job again?

• Tsunki

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:41 PM

The current mess will unfold. It will.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:42 PM

Finally someone might agree and join in against the Confederacy of Dunces on here who gang up to shout down anybody with a different view.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:45 PM

Our current “Strikers” as Bruce called them have 1 premier league goal between them last season.

Yes I’m happy with new signings and have to be optimistic but I wouldn’t say we’re in a good position.

I want to see someone proven in this league as back up and to help Joelinton out offer guidance etc, if he gets injured we have converted untested wingers leading the line or Gayle.

It doesn’t matter if you change your philosophy to more attacking if you have no one to put the ball in the net.

I’m far from convinced we have the goals in the side to stay out of trouble.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Tsunki: if a mess is to unfold it depends a bit on the team though doesn’t it?!

We have good players. Like Debravka and Schar.

We have some good new additions judging by the prices anyway.

Bruce s not the worst Manager in the world. He avaraged 42 points in the PL.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:47 PM

A lot of people thought the takeover would happen, a lot didn’t. So what? I can’t see any evil undertones in that. Did people really say those who guessed wrong would have to crawl back asking for forgiveness? If they did its ridiculous. If they didn’t its ridiculous to say it. Maybe they could just go to confession, forgive me father, I guessed wrong. Why has it got to be black and white or us and them all the time? The masses will never overcome the one because they are always divided and squabble over trifles

• Tony Baloney

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:48 PM

OP: it is pretty hard to score goals in the PL if YOU DO NOT PLAY IN THE PL.

FFS.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:48 PM

It’s interesting that you can argue all day whether we have strengthened or not. We have essentially replaced rondon and Perez who after 2 seasons has established he will get double figures in the league. We have replaced them with unknown quantities in the league but definitely have real potential.

There were many on here after last summer who said we had strengthened but I was on here disputing this somewhat. Said the squad may have improved but first 11 was pretty similar and close.

I think at points last season, when our records were identical to the promotion season shows that our squads were similar despite many saying we were much improved.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out but it’s a bit disappointing because we could have been looking at trying to establishing ourselves in the top 10 with a backed Rafa but now have another transitional season full of many unknowns.

Bruce’s record doesn’t inspire much confidence but the core of the team past few seasons remains with players who could either succeed or fail.

I do worry about a predicted change in style, the players are the same that have shown that when we try and play open football, we lose the ball cheaply, get caught out of position and concede goals.

• Chart Topping Toon

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:49 PM

I’m hoping that under Bruce we develop our own effective attacking style of play. I loved Rafa’s tenure but one of the niggles I had about his management style was, every game felt like a game of manager chess. where we were always setup to prevent the opposition from playing to their strengths. As a result of this constant weekly change I felt we failed to develop our own attacking style and understanding between players. This meant yes we got more than our fair share of points against the big boys but also that we failed to impose ourselves on games where on paper we should have cruised to victory.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:53 PM

OP: I would really like us to get Aguero, but that just isn’t going to happen is it. (well, he is too old for Ashley anyway)

We loaned a West Brom RELEGATED striker who had like 10 goals in each of his past 3 seasons for them and suddenly that is Armageddon that we didn’t sign him?

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Put three men together and a fourth must die.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:53 PM

When we last got relegated, mitro and a few other players were sometimes singled out but I was always saying that we conceded too many goals.

We had scored more goals than stoke who finished 7/8 place yet we got relegated. I blamed this down to the likes of coloccini, Taylor in defence and non existent midfield of colback and Anita.

I can see a similar scenario playing out, create a few chances, don’t get put away, concede lots of goals.

The hope is that the core group of players, lascelles, Hayden, Ritchie etc will make sure the levels of commitment needed by the players and hopefully they’ve been able to learn the defensive side of the game well enough from Rafa that can remain organised and well drilled as Bruce has never shown that he can do this as a manager.

• Wimbletoon

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Mund (#119)
    “…What if god forbid we finish 9th one place better than what Rafa achieved surely nobody can say owt then…”

…and others

You also asked sometime in the last week something like – will people be happy if we finish in the top half this season.

The answer to both of the above (for me) is I wouldn’t be satisfied at all with finishing in the top half, IF, we don’t then continue to build on that thereafter.

If the club behave how they’ve done over the last 12 years then we won’t build on it, and/or we won’t make sensible decisions, and we’ll either stand still or go backwards. For example, the season when we finished 5th, didn’t we just sign Anita that summer?

If Ashley/Charnley/Bruce do well this season and build on that in a sensible way and we continue to grow and improve with some ambition, then we could start to hope for a better future. Right now I really want us to do well this season, and I’m excited about the potential for our front three (even if we’ll rarely play them together, but excited to watch two out of three at any given time too), excited about the Longstaffs, and confident we’re close to having a well balanced team.

It’s disappointing to hear some saying we should simply now forget everything that’s happened and focus on the season ahead – we’ve had too much go wrong in the past for me to just forget about that as of yet – and there’s no need to have a go at those who have good reason to doubt Ashley has changed (e.g. don’t we still have a supposed 70M to spend in the next 5 days? Again given past behaviour can we realistically hope to have that all spent, and wisely, in such a short space of time?).

Not trusting or believing in the current regime doesn’t mean I want the team to do badly, nor does it mean (IMHO) that I’m being negative, merely realistic. I’d love it if we have a good season, have a good cup run (even better if we could win one), and then perhaps start to invest in our infrastructure, etc, but why with a net spend of 20M (out of an available 90M) are people already having a go at those who want to take action to try to encourage positive change?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:56 PM

Tony

Quite obvious, look at the goals scored in the weaker leagues, bar Gayle non are impressive and so far he hasn’t faired well in the PL

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:57 PM

Part of me worries f Bruce comes midtable, it will give Ashley the impression that its a good strategy to buy washed out managers just because they have some experience and we will have Moyes etc to look forward to. Ideally I’d like to see him lose the first 5 games and get replaced quickly by a modern manager.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:00 PM

Shame on you all Ashley defenders! Enough is enough, too many years, too many lies. #mikexit

• yogz69

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:03 PM

Jib doddie weir is a toon fan cause he married one

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:06 PM

Who is going to score the goals?

Well Jo hasn’t made a bad start with two in his last two games albeit friendlies.

We couldn’t hit a barn door with a cows arse for the first 10 games last season and if Perez and Rondon wouldn’t have come good we’d have been goosed because, Schar apart, there was just about zero goal threat elsewhere.

However, we’ve now got Jo, ASM, Almiron and S. Longstaff and we have IMO four likely goalscorers compared to the two we had for most of last season.

I’d be amazed if goals are a problem.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM

OP: going into last season were you happy with a strike force of Rondon and Perez. And Donkeylu?

• Tony Baloney

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Actually, if you extrapolate Keiran Clark’s goals per minutes played I think he might have been our top scorer.

• Mund

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:22 PM

Wimbletoon

I’m definitely not optimistic about the future either mate as long as Ashley is in charge of this club. When Rafa left I couldn’t see beyond the despair I felt and then the dreaded news of Bruce as our new manager I didn’t think it could get any worse. I felt this is the end I’m not watching a single game I’m not even going to look out for results stuff this team. I couldn’t of felt at a more low in my whole life as a Newcastle fan.

But then the weeks went by I kept a close eye on stuff and I would of put my life on it that we would lose the likes of Schar, Longstaff and others but here we are and they are still here and for some crazy reason the full team look revitalised, they look happy and up for the challenge and this has shown in the pre-season games as well as seeing some of the young lads getting a shout. None other than Matty Longstaff. The two brothers get me so excited about what we could possibly have at our disposal some real potential.

So here I am weeks later after that lowest of the low feeling and funny thing is I’m quite the opposite now. I think this will be a good year for us and we will do well with some stand out performers.

Weird what a few weeks can do to your mentality I would of slapped anyone who would of suggested I’d be how I am now but here I am excited for the new season can’t wait for next week.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:38 PM

Tony

I’d feel more confident with Rondon here now in place of Joelinton.

I know what he can do in the Prem, we knew what Perez would offer, we dont have a scooby what the new boys can do, yet.

If you aren’t in the slightest worried they wont cut it, good for you, not all of us have blind faith.

I hope I’m wrong and they get 50 goals between them, I have a genuine concern I’m not dismissing their ability.

If we get to xmas in the bottom 3, i wont be saying I told you they wouldn’t cut it, I’ll be saying we should have got back up or kept Rondon.

If you can’t see the sense of having a experienced back up player all I can say is all your eggs in one basket is a recipe for disaster.

• Tatforsale Mikey

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:38 PM

Dougie comment 124
    Do you remember when Jimmy’s band used to play in the Newton. They were crackers. Remember the drummer Tommy went missing as was never found.. The king Crabs they were called.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:39 PM

Excellent F1 if anyone is watching

• toon22

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:41 PM

The fair and balanced views of Bills and the like
    Sure everything going to be fine
    Don’t protest
    Ignore the missing hundreds of millions
    The traitors a good manager

Fair and balanced views ?

• Moonraker15

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Baloney
    I’m not commenting on the quality of players but the comment from the pundit “ if he was brilliant he wouldn’t be going to Newcastle “ in other words we’re a second rate club.

• toon22

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:43 PM

OP

It’s what the club usually does every single season

Business as usual