web analytics

Report – Midfielder Target To Make Newcastle Decision On Tuesday

Le 10 Sport is reporting that Thiago Maia will make a decision between Genoa and Newcastle on Tuesday.

This tweet translates to:

Thiago Maia has to make a decision tomorrow (Tuesday). Transfer Offer from Genoa (7M € + 50% resale) or Newcastle loan offer (with higher salary than Genoa)

The link to Maia resurfaced Sunday night with reports from France that Newcastle had renewed their interest in the Brazilian. It was reported earlier today that Newcastle had made a better offer for the defensive midfielder.

However, that offer appears to be in salary and not in a transfer fee. The French outlet is reporting that Maia will have to decide between joining Genoa on a permanent or Newcastle on loan. With Newcastle, he would reportedly get higher wages.

We are not sure if their will be an option to buy in the deal but if we could get Maia in this week that would be excellent news. Like Jetro Willems, a loan deal with an option to buy might not be a bad idea. Both players saw a massive dip in form last season so maybe Newcastle are just taking precautions by only offering a loan deal initially.

• Nufc-83

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:22 PM

Nicky we won’t be playing 4 at the back and definitely not Schar at RB are you Pardew in disguise!

• Scythe For Bruce

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:22 PM

Mike – ‘If I knew I was crap, I’d stop.‘

How about if you were crap but someone was willing to pay you good money to be crap? 🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:23 PM

Or…
    …………………..Dubravka.
    Schar….Lascelles….Fernandez…Dummett
    …………….Hayden…..Longstaff.
    …………………………..Ki.
    ……..St Max………………………Almiron.
    …………………….Joelinton.

• Nufc-83

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:25 PM

Let’s face it Almiron or st max will be on the bench

• Scythe For Bruce

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:26 PM

Can’t see Schar being played at right back when we have Yedlin and Manquillo on the books.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:29 PM

Pardew in disguise. How rude! 🙂

Just while we have no recognizable left wing back ’83. I think Schar can play effectively as a right back in a back four. Obviously solid defensively, and good going forward. I like Manquillo as a right wing back. Less so a conventional right fullback, particularly v that attack.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:32 PM

I don’t think Rafa left us because of the money. He left because he knew he had zero chance of adding to his medal haul. But he 100% did go to China for the money so both sides of the argument are correct. I guess he thought if I’m not adding to my legacy, I might as well get paid millions and work for someone who appreciates me. When it comes to his legacy Newcastle are like what those American teams were for George Best or Beckham. We won’t even get a mention in his obituary. While we are happy with his achievements they’re insignificant to a man who’s won so much.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:37 PM

Credit where credit is due.

Ronaldo Aarons and The Next Mike Williamson have been the two best contributors on here for a little while now, for those who might have missed it.

Or is it just I tend to agree with them. 🙂

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:40 PM

Actually Sycthe, you’ve described my job in a nutshell. But I was talking about Ashley and he’s self employed so its his own money he’s wasting. If he’d employed the same managers as Everton or spurs or Southampton, he could have sold us for 500m easy and even been popular amongst the fans. He could have had 50,000 singing his name and made a profit.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:43 PM

Thanks Nicky, off the top of my head I’d put u and Ronaldo and jayphoto amongst my favourites on football matters although the last one seems to have disappeared which is a loss for the blog.

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:46 PM

Gotta be jetro

• RobLeenio

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:49 PM

Jeez you go on holiday and you get quickly forgotten about 😉

I do hope we’re not all putting to much faith in Sean longstaff. He’s definitely a quality player but if we pile the pressure on he might struggle.

He’s still a young lad with promise, rather than an established premier League titan, which he may become in time.

• Scythe For Bruce

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:49 PM

Unless I’m jayphoto? I’m not, but you never know. I could be.

I’m not.

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:52 PM

The blog has now got to the stage where contributors can comment on rafa, positively and negatively. Only on this blog could it take that long. Definitely time to move on. I’ll do my best to this end.

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:53 PM

Evening Rob

• Scythe For Bruce

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:55 PM

Rob – I’d like to see Longstaff played in the games against the ‘lower’ clubs, especially at SJP. Maybe hold him back a bit in the games against the bigger teams, although I’m confident he’d hold his own. I don’t want him burning out or being under too much pressure at such a young age.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:57 PM

Whatever your opinion is of Rafa, he’s several leagues above what we’ve had and what we’ve now got and what we will likely continue to get until there’s a change.

• RobLeenio

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:57 PM

Evening Munster and all. For what it’s worth I can see us going back three with advanced wing backs, Hayden and longstaff holding and ASM, Miggy and Joelinton up front.

Defensively sound and exciting going forward, though we may have to give the majority of possession up to the opposition on most occasions.

• RobLeenio

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Rafa went to China because it was the best deal for his entire team, not just him. You have to see Rafa and his staff as a collective, and most clubs will refuse to take them all on.

Nowt to do with money or a project, though these are factors. More like expediency.

Anyway, brief visit, I’m off again. Laters all

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:03 AM

oldarse,

re Robsons Fairs cup goal.

You said it was a against Ujpest Dosza,

It wasn’t.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:07 AM

That would definitely be the most exciting team Rob. But I see Shelvey as Bruce’s number one midfielder. He had a poor season with injuries and I’ve seen people on here say he wasnt happy with Rafa although I haven’t seen those comments myself. But he was our best player alongside Lascelles for the two years prior to that.

• Scythe For Bruce

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:15 AM

I don’t think Shelvey does as well with ‘cold’ managers like Rafa, and I don’t say that about Rafa in a disrespectful way. It’s just known that he’s a little more standoff-ish when it comes to his players. Jonjo does better with managers like Bruce, who are a little warmer in terms of their management style.

Bruce being English too helps I think. Fresh slate for a bunch of our lads this season and I hope Shelvey grasps the opportunity to impress Bruce right from the start. I just worry that he’ll cock it up by getting sent off, or caught being a bit naughty by VAR at some point.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:26 AM

Between Ki and Shelvey, Jonjo is the more eye catching midfielder and seemingly the squeakier wheel. He gets the grease, at least initially. Ki the unassuming pro. Basically just goes about his business of keeping the ball moving. Tidy, tidy, tidy. I think over the course of the season Ki will likely feature more as Bruce comes to grips with exactly what he’s got. Both good though.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:35 AM

There are loads of very good posters on here by the way, many of whom don’t see eye to eye. 🙂 Broad church, as it should be, and made even better again now Neil is contributing articles too.

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:37 AM

Nicky, ki is a bit of a rolls royce. Uses the ball well, shields it, keeps it simple and makes space well. Id hate to lose him.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:48 AM

Yeah, agreed Munster. When you look at our central mid group, you’d have to think we are one DM of similar quality away from having a terrific engine room. Just need a player with a bit of bite in the tackle, and who can also pass and move well. A Kante type.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:51 AM

or Fernandinho type. Not gonna get anyone that good of course. But someone capable to do the same job.

• MG-Man

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:58 AM

Great write up in the chronicle about Terry Hibbit, 25 years since he passed away . What a player that man was

• magic hat

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:59 AM

I reckon the team for the weekend would be:

………..Dubs
    ………schar lacelles dummet
    Manq……………………………….wilems
    Longstaf. Shelvey Hayden
    Almiron
    ………………….:joelinton
    (11)

Bench
    Darlow Fernandez Clark ki asm muto (6)

Rest of squad:
    (8)+ 1 u21
    Gayle atsu Yedlin lejune Ritchie Arrons Elliot Murphy m.longstaff

The rest will be out the door in one way or other. Bye bye colback lazar saivet sterry

• magic hat

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:02 AM

I’d not be surprised if colback stays and takes a squad place

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:06 AM

Bloody Aussies.

Simple strategy from here with Jimmy injured.

You play Archer and Stone to bodyline Steve Smith.

You have the groundsmen prepare non-spinning pitches.

And you have Buttler play like he does in limited overs games or don’t play him.

• lesh

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:10 AM

Mund

No problem. In anxious times, we’re all prone to see the worst in things see what’s not there. That’s where Ashley and Bishop got us. As Hibbett’s often said, Ashley’s PR machine’s dividing the fans. Whether he wins the war and conquers us depends on us. United, we stand; divided we fall.

RobLeenio

Ah, so been on your jollies. Glad you’re back – the average IQ’s gone up a bit. It’ll go up even more when I go off. 🙂

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:11 AM

Nicky after the world cup i heard kante described as the most complete midfielder in the world, although for me it has to be Modric. Billson highlighted earler how leicester are unambitious by selling their top boys. If we start to progress like them i could luve with it easily. But ashley doesnt have the nous to harnass the geordie public. He only thinks in terms of quick money. That said, guys on here said we wud spend F all. And they have been proved incorrect.

• lesh

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:13 AM

Ffs

Balloony’s back……

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:15 AM

I don’t really have much idea of what to expect from Bruce. It is definitely a Charnley-Carr-McClaren reboot but we have to hope Steve mark II is better than Steve mark I. I never watched any of his teams though as they were never shown in the US – Brum, Wigan, Mackems, Hull were never picked for any showcase games and until 4 years ago we only got one PL game a week. So, I really don’t have much of a clue what sort of Manager he is.

From the stats he is bottom half of the PL. He averaged 42 points in the PL. Rafa had 45 and 44 the last 2 years.

• NY Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:16 AM

Magic,

I’m not sure there’s gonna be a place for colback, I counted 29 senior players (but I’m not sure if Sean long staff counts, as I don’t know his exact birthday).
    If so, we would have to ‘move out’ four without any additional in.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:18 AM

Hiya Lesh. You know I think you are a bully and a moron so best we not speak.

• Online Guy

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:34 AM

Bruce had the Lads down at Tynemouth longsands for a quick session. Afterwards Bruce had a tray of Dixon’s savaloy dips delivered, players tucked in alfresco .

Looks like there might be a change in the pre match meal , Bruces idea .

Akin to giving greyhound a mars bar before a race.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:50 AM

Judging by Brucies waistline it was probably a long session at one of the Tynemouth pubs. Followed by two orders of fish n chips, 3 savaloy’s and a dozen deep fried mars bars.

• Scythe For Bruce

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:16 AM

I’m not jealous of footballer’s lifestyles, cars, houses, money, but if they’re getting Dicksons saveloy dips then I’m beyond envious. I’m not even joking. Over a decade of living in the States and I still get insane cravings.

Now I’ll be heading to bed with savs on the brain. Thanks a lot.