web analytics

Report – Newcastle Have Made Substantial Offer For Defensive Midfielder

Le 10 Sport are reporting that Newcastle have made an offer for Lille defensive midfielder Thiago Maia. The offer is said to surpass the one made by Genoa yesterday.

It was reported by L’Equipe recently that Newcastle still maintained an interest in Thiago Maia.

There was also news from Le 10 Sport yesterday that Genoa had bid €7m along with 50% of any future sale of the Brazilian. In their most recent article, the French outlet now claim that Newcastle have made a superior offer for the 23-year-old.

The report also says it is very likely Lille will accept the best offer between the two clubs. However, they say the player has yet to decide if he wants to leave the French club.

We are growing a bit concerned with the future of Isaac Hayden however if these reports are true. We hope that Newcastle are not looking at Thiago Maia as a replacement for Hayden but as competition in the midfield.

We have not heard of any substantial links to Hayden and would be pleasantly surprised to see Maia added to the midfield. He could be seen as the replacement for Mohamed Diame.

It is not like Newcastle to buy before they sell. They are usually left scrambling for a replacement when a player is sold. So maybe, if true, Maia is being brought in as competition which would be just great.

• lochinvar

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Replacement for Diame’s replacement Colback

• Spellcheck

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Get him in and Colback out.

• Kevin Vegan

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Should be a solid signing for us, responsible defensively and works hard all over the pitch from what I’ve seen. Not the biggest goal threat but he seems to read the game well, will win us the ball and can pick out a pass.

• lesh

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:43 PM

Bill’s son

Sorry to say but whilst your optimism admirable, I wonder how you and other ‘support the team not the regime’ advocates are going to feel if the wheel comes off and we’re staring relegation in the face? You’ll have none but your own kind’s shoulders to cry on. I can’t see you coming back on here to have a moan about bad buys, bad manager, bad owner etc.

You make your bed and you sleep in it

• DeanToon88

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:45 PM

we need to get shot of colback and saivet this would be a astute signing for us, direct replacement for diame

• lochinvar

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:50 PM

oldarse/moonraker/geordietom and Uncle Tom Cobley

That scouse band was only ever successful because of the influence we Geordies had on them, or was it the “Dog” stuff they were drinking I wonder…about the days you are reminiscing about

“She Loves You”

The song was mostly written on 26 June 1963, in a room in the Turk’s Hotel in Newcastle, prior to The Beatles’ second performance at the city’s Majestic Ballroom. A true collaboration between Lennon and McCartney, She Loves You distilled the essence of excitement in their music, and became a defining moment of their early career

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:52 PM

Think a DM is needed with diame away, hopefully this means Colback will be sold

• lochinvar

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:53 PM

and we invented Lucozade and the Light bulb and Butch Cassidy’s Mam lived in the Brandling area of Jesmond

What a place

• Mund

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:53 PM

Leah

Tell me mate how can’t someone come back in here and moan about stuff regarding Newcastle, Bruce and Ashley if they make the choice they will support the team for this season.

Who are you to say who will be able to post posts.

What’s wrong with people on this blog why can’t anyone accept that some others have different opinions. We would live in a boring world if we all thought the same. I think like all the haters with one difference. I try to live a positive life, I try to keep a smile on my face and can overcome anything. I won’t let the doom and gloom of the beloved club I support control what I do in the future not a chance.

All haters need to realise not everyone thinks the same and if they do like me they want to try a different outlook on life always try to look for the positive.

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM

I hate them a lot, yes-man m-man, l-man.

• oldarse

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Bills son After ten minutes, Bryan ‘Pop’ Robson scored the only goal, volleying in at the Gallowgate End to send Newcastle roaring into the last 16 of the Fairs Cup. Sporting Lisbon easy mistake old age

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Just two games away from crisis…deeper crisis

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Someone posed the question, where should we finish if competing?
    History says 8th.
    Current income says 9th
    Given that some with lower incomes, such as Wolves, have owners who pump in cash then 10th.
    Given that we dont invest appear to invest sensibly and consistently then best we should hope for is 11th to 17th.
    The huge concern is how quickly we have slipped from actually competing to being also rans. The income differences are now vast and I can see no way that gap can be closed. It has taken 12 years to get to this state.
    I reckon it will take at least as long to put it right; it may never be possible and currently there is no will to try!
    So in answer anything above 11th is a success and a cup run purely a dream!
    There will still be occasional highs, every season has them but there is about a 1 in 4 / 5 chance of being relegated.

• Mag52

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Yes Lesh.
    If you want an example of positivity, you need look no further than Bojo.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Look at oldarse and bills talking about the beautiful game and there memories that’s what the blog should be about don’t bring all the hatred you have for the club and Ashley at this moment of time bring some memories some old stories which I love to read and have plenty myself

Why don’t we use the blog for positive posts something we all can read and enjoy instead of what most do, see the name and dodge most the posts.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

He’s a good player if we plan on playing 3 in midfield. Better suited to the defensive side of the pivot role than shelvey and very good range of passing. Doesn’t give the ball away cheaply.

• Mund

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Ronaldo

Do you think it’s more of a replacement for Hayden than another addition? I hope it’s more like an addition and young Matty will get loaned

I hope it’s not because I don’t want to lose Hayden. Would be a good signing if we can get him and add to an already decent midfield.

• oldarse

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Sorry lads missed some good patter on last thread not as good as Norman/Jib on this google search thing

• Moonraker15

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Lochinvar
    Great bit of history! How do you know; was it in a biography? “She loves you” definitely kicked them on towards greatness! I still love it when one of the songs of that era come on the radio!
    What a decade that was!

• geordietom

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:11 PM

Oldarse …

News › History › Newcastle United FC History
    11 Nov 2015 – Newcastle United’s Ollie Burton, left, in 1969 and Bryan ‘Pop’ Robson in … scoring eight goals including two penalty screamers against … Pop Robson, like Burton, was a slow burner whose form exploded … His goals against Feyenoord, Sporting Lisbon, Real Zaragoza, and Vitoria Setubal helped United lift the fairs cup…

• c-dog

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:11 PM

ronaldo aarons

I’d like to see us adopt Liverpool’s 4-3-3 system. Need full backs upgraded for it to succeed. But with Maia In beside Longstaff and Hayden we had a defensively sound middle. And miggy joe linton and maximin as a front three would tear the league up.

• WLtoon

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:12 PM

I think Hayden will be sold judging by his comments about possibly leaving this week. He will be a huge loss and at 15M could be a steal for whoever buys him. I just hope that whoever we bring in as a replacement, IF, ? he proves to be a hit Not sure about this Brazilian tho.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM

Mund
    Personally, I don’t think Hayden will be leaving. He has played well and justified a certain price tag. Reports at start of the window said the club won’t sell less than £20m which is fair by me. Plus he’s not going to kick up a fuss, he’s always left the door open in case a move doesn’t materialise but still pointed out his desire to move for family reasons.

I don’t want to lose him either but was surprised to hear at the end of the last match that apparently a new deal is close to being agreed with Hayden. So don’t suddenly see him being off.

Think it’s more of an addition as we only have 4 senior cm’s. Longstaff, Hayden, Ki and Shelvey. If we are playing 3 in midfield we need another body. Think the club will look to sell/loan colback (thank god) and saivet.

Would prefer Matty Longstaff to have a season on loan but wouldn’t be upset if he stays and gets the odd bit of game time here and there.

• geordietom

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM

oi Mund …@15 …

you forgot to mention me in dispatches mate 😀

• geordietom

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:16 PM

but Ringo still wrote ” when i’m sixty four ”

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:18 PM

C dog
    I don’t know, I’m iffy about 4 at the back. The only cb partnership that I feel is solid is Lascelles and Lejuene. I don’t see other partnerships working as well. 3 cbs is what works in my opinion for the defenders we have and for schar.

• geordietom

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:18 PM

7 days too long Chuck Wood Northern Soul class song …

• Mund

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Ronaldo

Agree with everything you said.

I don’t believe Hayden will leave this season just a little worry he might snd the old chestnut of him being sold transfer deadline day and no replacement.

I do think he will stay tho and agree after last season he has to be talked in the bracket of a £20 mill player surely.

If we get Maia in then I’d be just as happy for young Matty to go out on loan it won’t be long before he is in our 22 and then 11. I really rate the lad just like his big brother.

• lochinvar

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Moonraker15
    She Loves You
    It was in my head from somewhere in the past…..Beatles,Hendrix and the Animals all have their geodie roots….

• Mund

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Geordietom

Mate you know what I didn’t realise that after I posted it but thought he won’t pick up on it lol how wrong I was

• geordietom

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM

the Beatles sang Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds …

what were they referring to ?…

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Bus has moved.

• geordietom

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:21 PM

Mund …

i was only joking mate …

😀

• oldarse

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:22 PM

Tom was in the leazes end when the cup came back mate

• c-dog

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:22 PM

ronaldo aarons

For sure but it’s a Rafa system isn’t it. I think we can maximize our offensive efforts this year given the pace in attack we now possess. We lacked pace up until miggys arrival. Now him and maximin I’d just like to see them lads run riot in attack. Schar wouldn’t suit 4 at the back but is great cover for Lejeune and Lascelles

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Lesh that’s a bit of a pointless argument. Billson wants to go , and i think if he didnt go, and we were relegated, he would probably feel annoyed that he wasnt there to support. Fwiw, i think there will be 45k plus at the arsenal game and the more players we sign, the less likely a decent boycott will be. I also dont think a boycott will make any major difference to Ashley anyway.

• Trent1211

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:29 PM

Mund @9 Yep look on the positives like somebody stealing your wallet means more room in your pockets. Stockholm syndrome. Where is the anger? Absolutely pathetic that people just acquiesce and let the slug get away with it. Where’s the pride in sitting there while he p*sses on you. I can tell you one thing I guarantee he’s grateful for the continued patronage and thinks we’re easily bought off mugs. It boils down to one thing – Not being prepared to sacrifice in the short term for long term benefit. Anybody turning up for the Arsenal game and tbh at any game now is complicit in my view. Aiding and abetting.

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:32 PM

C dog, re manager, i felt we should look for a coach abroad who could like with our transfer policy. For example, the Hoffenheim guy has a good reputation. But now that we have bruce i think we should get behind him. According to media reports thats what is happening and the players are all talking about moving and speaking positively

• lesh

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:15 PM

Mund

I certainly did not say that those ‘support the team not the regime’ who wanted a moan if the wheel came off couldn’t do so on here.

My words were ‘I can’t see you coming back on here to have a moan about bad buys, bad manager, bad owner etc’…

Having argued so strongly against supporting a boycott, having a grizzle about mismanagement, Bruce etc on here could be embarrassing, like saying maybe a boycott might of worked after all.

That’s a far cry from saying who can and can’t post on here, yes?

• JohnJ

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:25 PM

I recall back in my younger days going to “The Downbeat” in Carliol Square one of the resident groups were The Alan Price Combo later to become “The Animals” The Downbeat was a den of iniquity with drugs going round the square dance floor – Fortunately for me I chose not to go in the direction!