web analytics

New Signing Speaks Of Influence From Compatriots In Joining Newcastle

Lee Ryder has an article in the Chronicle with some comments made by our new signing Allan Saint-Maximin.

Before coming to Newcastle, Allan apparently sought out advice from a few of Newcastle’s former French contingent. They all seem to have had a positive effect on Allan’s decision to join.

One player, in particular, was former crowd favorite Hatem Ben Arfa. This is what Allan Saint-Maximin has said about Hatem’s advice on joining Newcastle.

“Hatem spoke to me. He said to me ‘it’s amazing – the supporters and atmosphere are amazing’.

“For his dribbling, I love Hatem so much.

“I love a lot of players, but, for me, it’s Ben Arfa.

“”He told me to come and said to me a lot of good things. He scored a lot of good goals.”

It sounds like Allan Saint-Maximin really admires our former star midfielder. Ben Arfa, now 32, spent five years at Newcastle and was certainly a fan favorite. Allan will follow in his footsteps as a French number 10 and we hope that he can surpass the exploits of his compatriot.

There were other players that also had an impact on Saint-Maximin’s decision. The report in the Chronicle mentions both Remy Cabella and Florian Thauvin as former players who our new signing sought out about their experiences at Newcastle.

According to Lee Ryder, both players had positive things to say about the club and its supporters. Remy and Florian both had tough spells at Newcastle and would return to France soon after joining Newcastle

Remy Cabella would leave on loan to Marseille after one disappointing season while Florian Thauvin came in the opposite direction. He too would have a short spell returning to Marseille on loan in January before the move became permanent the following summer.

They both still, however, had positive things to say about the club. This is how Allan responded when asked about those former players.

“I know them all – I know every player.

“I talked with a lot of players.

“They said to me it’s a great club, a great city and the supporters are great.

“Everything is great. This is why I came. I said ‘I know I want to be there’.”

Allan seems to really be happy with his move and seems like he is settling in nicely. He possesses the ability to get the crowd out of their seats and we hope to see some exciting times with him in the side this season.

• one fine day

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM

• one fine day

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:57 AM

Is it sad to be sat doing a fist pump over something as futile as this ?
    Oh well if it’s good enough for one with the cognitive abilities of Rob O’mensa then it’s enough for me .

• geordietom

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:57 AM

chancel first well done mate …

• stan anderson

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:57 AM

No name calling on this blog ????.
    Who called Ashley a slug?
    Oh it was me.

• DAVE..TOON..9

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM

nearest iv ever been to 1st

• geordietom

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM

dave …

😀

• stan anderson

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM

I think we,ll be having a relegation battle,but will Bruce save us?
    Would sooner have the Gaffa guiding us to 10th or higher.

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM

Nice bit of Irish stereotyping there OFD. Knob.

• one fine day

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM

Dave toon it’s a euphoric buzz I must say .
    Who needs silver wear when you have reached these giddy heights ?

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM

Problem comes back to Fat Boy….Sissako looks at the state of the art facilities at Brighton, versus our toilet. Then he factors in proximity to London. Id be surprised if he chooses us. Get investing Fatty – even 2 mill would surely get us looking a bit better on the facilities side? And we dont have Rafa’s name now either.

• G

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:03 PM

@Munster, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Rotund one still retained the copyright on Rafa’s name.

• one fine day

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Munster
    Knob ?
    Will take that
    It’s an improvement to what I’ve been called on here before right .
    Lighten up

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:09 PM

Problem comes back to Fat Boy….Sissako looks at the state of the art facilities at Brighton, versus our toilet. Then he factors in proximity to London. Id be surprised if he chooses us. Get investing Fatty – even 2 mill would surely get us looking a bit better on the facilities side? And we dont have Rafa’s name now either, particularly for a defender with options to join us

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM

Thanks Jib for the info that McNulty had us relegated last season as well. I was going to look it up. I think he has to be an idiot to have us bottom.

I reckon it is Norwich, Sheffield and Brighton to go down. I would also say Burnley are more likely for the drop than us.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:13 PM

And who knows what Villa will do. Will they be Wolves or Fulham?

• Ron Knee

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:14 PM

@8

Rob says he’s a member of MENSA.

• one fine day

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:14 PM

12.75 mil just spent on jack mills by Ashley says we will lucky to get a dart board for Benton this year so it’s the big envelopes again to agents to get players to choose us over the powerhouses of the Watfords and brightons

• oldarse

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:15 PM

Is that DEMENSA

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM

McNulty had Watford to go down last season aswell so …

• Moonraker15

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM

How the hell can we lose out to Bournemouth for Harry Wilson? Absolutely pathetic wtf is Charnley doing ffs ?

• geordietom

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:18 PM

its the not knowing thats killing us …

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Geordie Tom
    Earlier threads.
    Yeah sabaly looks good on YouTube. He came through the PSG set up too I think so he’ll have good fundamentals on the pitch.
    I wouldn’t be against his signing but I’m only going from what I saw at the World Cup.

Preference is Kenny Lala, only a year older.

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Probably two scenarios now – we start ok/well, get a bit of confidence , which our new slightly flamboyant players will need ( not referring to Jetro there – if that man is fit and within his weight guideline i’m Santa Claus) …..or we start shit and stay shit and the the foreign guys dont like it up ’em and down tools a bit

( OFD feel free to pan me for stereotying 🙂 )

• one fine day

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:20 PM

On stream I can get HBA saying great things but can’t imagine what thauvin would have said ,he looked as miserable as sin most of the time and couldn’t get away fast enough .

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM

This predictions lark is not that difficult either. You go Man City to be Champions and then shuffle the rest of the top 6 to fill in the other places. Man U haven’t improved so they will be 6th.

Then you pick 2 of the promoted teams as relegated and pick one pf the bottom 8 from last year to join them. Not us!!!!

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:22 PM

There are 8 British managers in the EPL this year. The BBC predict them all to be in the bottom 8 bar Rodgers. Howe is the best of the rest. Bruce the worst. The league is more or less in order of quality of managers.

• geordietom

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:22 PM

to the tune of chirpy chirpy cheep cheep <<<>>>

wheres the money gone .

wheres the money gone .

you’ve robbed us .

all day long …

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Moon, in fairness to chubby charnley, nobody said he could St Joe St Max or Jethro either . Literally, guys screaming about his incompetency. And then all quiet once we got St Max in particular

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM

Moonraker: because they already got their man in St Max.

• one fine day

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM

All good Munster was a cheap chip at rob who stated he struggles to have a good convo here as most of us are as thick as shit .
    Was actualy engaged to a girl from Limerick who explained the use of O in Irish surnames

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM

You beat me to it Munster.

• geordietom

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:24 PM

Ronaldo …

i dont know much about both the lads but the clips you put up earlier that lad looked pretty good to me mate …

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:25 PM

I don’t think Burnley will go down. They’ll be there about in amongst a group of contenders for relegation but they’ll pull away like they usually do.
    They shouldn’t really but dyche is doing really well with them.

I would like to see what he would be like with better players and more money to play with.

I reckon there will be a group of 6 teams or so that could go down.
    Brighton, Sheffield Utd, Villa, Norwich, Burnley and I would put us in there again.
    If zaha goes, then palace will do more than flirt with relegation like they usually do.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:26 PM

Thauvin gave ASM the address to a local tux shop.

• geordietom

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:27 PM

would anyone have Adam Lallana ? …

he’s not getting much game time might be worth a punt …

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM

OFD, I have up on Thauvin pretty fast after he tried to run the West Ham ful back ( who wasnt a speedster) and failed dismally. Sadly he probably just wasnt putting in any effort. Id love to have got Gracia, who also spent very little but got a huge return. Sadly NUFC cant look attractive. However at least we are spending money now, and surely the penny will drop with ashley soon re the facilities. His attitude makes no sense . He wants the shiny young toys from France, but offers them nothing except a solid wedge and the lure of the premier league. Thats why i think we will lose Sissako, unless one of our ex French guys can speak with him and do a sales pitch, or St Max

• Moonraker15

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM

TMMW
    I’ve always said it is all about the managers provided you ain’t got a load of knackers.
    A really good squad is useless with a dud manager. An average squad with a good manager! Ring any bells?

• Tony Baloney

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:32 PM

An average squad with a good manager finished 13th. But I do agree the Manager should be the highest paid at all clubs.

• Moonraker15

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Munster
    It doesn’t take long to assess a dud does it? First impressions are usually correct I think.

• Munster Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Fair enough OFD. Any idea where the Limerick girl was from? She cud have got you over here to be near her ma ? 🙂

I wanted to live in Newcastle after graduation but a senior position came up for me paying huge money in London and an apartment in Chelsea so i went to London instead

( Ok I got a job in London, the senior stuff and Chelsea is all bollocks) 🙂