web analytics

Reports – Lille Not Interested In Loaning Thiago Maia As New Club Has Now Made An Offer

Get French Football News have been reporting that Newcastle are trying to seal a loan deal for Lille midfielder Thiago Maia over the next few days. However, the latest developments are that Lille are not willing to let the player leave on loan and want any deal to be permanent.

French outlet La Voix du Nord as reported in the article above state that Lille President Gerard Lopez is not in any hurry to make a decision on Maia’s future before Thursday’s transfer deadline. He is only considering permanent offers and is not willing to loan out Thiago Maia even with a future option to buy.

This puts Newcastle at an extreme disadvantage as the English transfer window closes in only a couple of days. The other club that had reportedly put in an offer for Maia is Genoa. The Serie A transfer window closes on August 18th. They have reportedly bid €7m for the 22-year-old plus a clause that would allow Lille to get 50% of any future transfer fee.

However, now it appears that another club may have come in and matched Genoa’s offer for Maia.

Gianluca Di Marza, a Sky Sports reporter based in Italy, is reporting that Club Brugge has made the same offer as Genoa for the Lille midfielder. He also says that Genoa remains in the lead for the Brazilian’s signature. His report curiously does not even mention Newcastle.

Club Brugge could see Maia as a replacement for Marvelous Nakamba who has just sealed a move to Aston Villa late last week. We were briefly linked with Nakamba in June.

The reports earlier from Italy were quite promising as they claimed Maia was leaning towards joining Newcastle over Genoa.

It makes sense that Lille would only want to do a permanent deal since there is one already on the table. If Maia does come to Newcastle on loan and fails to impress, then Lille will have risked missing out on a permanent deal for him. It is a risk they may not be willing to take.

If Newcastle truly want Maia then they should make a reasonable bid for him. They won’t make the same offer that Genoa has made as the 50% sell-on clause is something Mike Ashley would never sanction.

Unfortunately, we just don’t see Newcastle making a competitive offer. It would have to be in the £10-12m range and if Newcastle are pressing for a loan then they must have some doubts about Maia. Unless Lille make a sudden change in their stance on a loan deal, we don’t see Maia coming to Newcastle this summer.

• kilcline

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:40 PM

Don’t need him unless Hayden will be flogged to West Ham or Watford

• NY Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:45 PM

Mr T.

My understanding of the HMRC investigation is that the club allegedly claimed VAT relief on payments that were never taxed and also employers NIC.
    But, it was the players involved that benefitted most as the payments made to them (via intermediary agents) avoided paying income tax & NIC

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:47 PM

missed the bus.

Sports Direct FC
    Aug 6, 2019 at 11:44 PM
    NY Mag
    It means the club on average pays out 99.75% of the total income it brings in.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:48 PM

Sports Direct FC,
    I dont really understand your post, I’d probably need to read it again in the morning when I’m not so tired. But a net spend of 9% over 12 years would be an average net spend of 9% would it not? It seems you’ve divided the 9% by the 12 years to get 0.75 but that division would have already been done. If I’m right how does that effect what you’re saying? If I’m wrong like I said I’m not sure about the post, just that one bit struck me.

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:48 PM

For 7 or 8 million, I think he definitely worth the risk.

• NY Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:51 PM

SDFC,

I just saw your response on the previous page.
    Looking at it like that, yes there was a time when the club was loosing huge amounts of money each year, so not 99.75%, more like 130%.

That’s not the case anymore , it’s more like 65%

(I just got confused with the debt to income ratio term, what you’re talking about is more or less operating margin)

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:55 PM

TNMW

A total of 57m has been spent(net spend) since MA has owned the club. The club has brought in 662.3 million(only tv, epl and prize money) since 10/11. Its a total of 9% net spend of the total amount brought in since he has owned the club. So over the 12 years its only .75% average per year.

662.3 – 57 =605.3 spent

57/605.3= .09416 or .09 (9%)

.09/12 year=.0075 per year or .75% net average yearly spent of total income received.

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:56 PM

NY Mag,

more less yes. I don’t know what years had operating losses or gains (as you say) that’s why i used averages.

• Our Toon

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:56 PM

Defo needed as Hayden is not good enough for the starting XI, he had a decent few months toward the end of the season but had a stinker earlier in the season and the season before.

Hayden should always be just a back up

• RobLeenio

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:57 PM

If thiago Maia yesterday had to choose between nufc and another club, surely that meant that a deal had been done by both clubs with the selling club, with only personal terms to be agreed

If that’s the case, why are we hearing tonight that the selling club haven’t agreed to a loan or a sale?

Something rotten in the state of France, methinks

• Our Toon

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:58 PM

NY Mag

That makes more sense, I was baffled myself with SD’s post

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:58 PM

NY mag

the debt to income ratio term is used more for personal finances. Try get getting a loan with a debt to income ratio higher than 33%……most banks wont do it.

• NY Mag

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:59 PM

Rob,

Or newspapers telling porkies 🙂

• IrishRob

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:00 AM

France isn’t a state, rip!

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:03 AM

SD,

If you look over a long period of time, then yes, I agree with you.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:05 AM

ny posted about this last week extract

“In an investigation called “Operation Loom”, HMRC is probing whether Newcastle United claimed inflated VAT refunds and evaded income tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs) in relation to “payments made to and via football agents”.

It is alleged that the club “secretly” paid players and agents during transfers by funneling payments through unlicensed agents, thereby avoiding income tax and NIC payments.”

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:05 AM

NY mag,

Thing is, if you take what MA says then it is absolutely 99.75%(avg.). The numbers are dummied down but fairly accurate and are actually low on the income side. I am not an accountant by any means, but this is simply math and I don’t have the desire or time to look at operating losses or gains for every year.

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:06 AM

Sorry NY, saw this after i posted.

SD,
    If you look over a long period of time, then yes, I agree with you.

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:07 AM

Thanks Mr T. For the clarification

Much more eloquent than I put it…..but I guess my understanding is more or less correct

• geordietom

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:10 AM

just caught up with the blog on reading through comments about going to the match on sunday . yep theres a protest going on . shouting people down for not going to the protest , one thing i noticed not one person has asked TOON22 / Le Frog is he attending the protest anyone asked him not that i saw …

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:10 AM

Hayden is a starter on form. He’s been very good since he was given a proper run, and that’s over half a season and a full pre season of consistently good football now. He’s good going both defensively and on the ball.

Maia or similar is also needed, if we play 3 central mids. We have 4 good ones, and need 5.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:10 AM

We’ve brought in 662m since 2010. So that’s nine years. And the net spend in the full 12 years is 57m or 5m a year.
    662/9 equals ….
    5m approx per year *9 equals about 45
    I can’t be bothered, but wouldn’t you need to figure out the net spend for the 9 years that we brought in the 662 rather than the 12 years.
    I imagine it wouldn’t make a great deal of difference to your outcome anyway.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:11 AM

Why am I trying to do maths at midnight

• geordietom

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:12 AM

so my point is if the Frog IS NOT attending the protest why have people not gone down his throat ??…

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:12 AM

He’s too busy Tom, but if you don’t go you’re a shill.

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:13 AM

TNMW,

May I suggest a nice single malt and a calculator 😀

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:15 AM

TNMW

The net spend is since MA has owned the club which is about 12 years. The Income is since 2010/2011 because I couldn’t find the amounts prior to that. You are correct that it would not make much of a difference.

• Sports Direct FC

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:15 AM

I admit i could have probably did a better job explaining. Didn’t want to write a book though.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:19 AM

I understand now anyway. Now where’s that whisky, my brain hurts.

• kilcline

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:20 AM

Spurs new stadium yet going to spend well over £110m on two players, two players that will keep them in the top 4.

Get out of our club Ashley

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:22 AM

SD,

The one thing that I’m most disappointed about is that this is the first year (since Ashley bought us) that we have no short term debt to service. You could say that this is the ‘clean slate’ year for the club. I was really looking forward to Rafa getting to spend/invest more than he’d ever had before……and then something went badly,badly wrong (I have no idea what it was and therefore won’t speculate)

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:27 AM

Am i right in thinking there should still be 35-50m to spend inc Jan?

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:28 AM

I’m not blown away by the 25m so far, although its better than nothing.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:30 AM

We really do need a big number 9 of good quality. Even just that one further addition, would give us the depth and quality to play 343 like last term.

The addition of one more quality central mid too, would then allow us the flexibility to go not just 343, but also 3322, or 433, or 442, as we see fit going into games and during them, depending on the opposition, or whether we are home or away.

Make sure we get the two more in we really need Mike Ashley. The money is there you scalliwag. Near enough has never been good enough.

Steve Bruce needs to be taking a play from the Rafa play book here, and use his leverage as a new boss to make sure the business gets done.

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:35 AM

Nicky,

I thought Bruce was on record as saying we are not looking at bringing any forwards in?

• geordietom

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:37 AM

NYMAG …

bruce said we have enough forwards the other day …

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:40 AM

Yeah, he is NY. Worrying sign, in my opinion. I think we clearly do, and I’m hoping he’s foxing with only a couple days in the window to go. If he isn’t, then I’ll seriously be questioning his judgement, and that’s a big worry, because we know Ashley and Charnley lack it.

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:40 AM

Thanks Tom,

I thought I’d read that somewhere…

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:42 AM

Nicky,

I think the big problem now is getting (the right) people out.
    I counted 29 senior players, that means four absolutely have to go.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:46 AM

Yeah, and frankly it starting to stink, as it so often does. 4 or 5 needed to be moved on and still 2 more brought in. The right players, in the right positions and only two days left in the window.