web analytics

Sky Sports Reports Winger Is Surplus To Requirements

Keith Downie of Sky Sports has reported that Rolando Aarons will not be part of Newcastle’s 25 man squad when it is announced after the window closes.

This comes as a bit of a surprise as Rolando had featured quite a bit in the pre-season for Newcastle. It seemed to us that he had done enough to be included, even though it would have been only as cover.

So it looks like both Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday are vying to get Aarons on loan over the next 22 hours. The Sheffield Wednesday link is very interesting as it was said that the Owls wanted Aarons on loan as part of the compensation package for Steve Bruce.

It does look like Steve Bruce has spoken to the players who are not going to be part of the squad. Yesterday it was reported that six players would be moved out prior to Thursday and that was not including Aarons.

Those players were goalkeeper Rob Elliot, left-back Achraf Lazaar, right-back Jamie Sterry, midfielders Henri Saivet and Jack Colback, as well as winger Jacob Murphy. Jacob Murphy has four Championship clubs after him in Derby, Fulham, Huddersfield, as well as Sheffield Wednesday.

It looks like there is going to be a lot of movement out and it appears as though Steve Bruce has done a decent job in identifying the right players who are not good enough. However, we are disappointed that Rolando Aarons has not done enough to earn a spot. But it may open up a place in the squad for an additional transfer by tomorrow.

• jazzyp

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM

Beer

Exactly mate….Potential for what??
    I am all for giving new blood a chance and hope they are a success for the club. If Joelinton god forbid goes down injured then what. I just think we are way to light in certain positions to be comfortable this season

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM

Munster, don’t blame Rafa for leaving to go to a Chinese outfit. I think that he knew long ago what the outcome would be with the parasite. I think the Chinese offer has been on the table for months. He just waited until the parasite would not go with developing NUFC into a team that could challenge for anything other than avoiding relegation.
    I think most of this is obvious.

• WLtoon

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:15 PM

Shame the way Aarons has been plagued with injuries over the years. He showed so much potential in the early years of his career. Good luck to you young man .

• Munster Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:15 PM

Bill i got the kit at a young age and my brother loved the style of supermac and it went from there. So yes i was considered an odd child :). Never regretted it mate, even now i keep sellng the idea to my kid.

• jazzyp

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:16 PM

If one of the front three get injured we’re f@cked. Atsu Murphy Gayle Muto are nowhere near good enough to keep us in the PL

• YohanKebabShop

20. Almiron
    21. Atsu
    22. Aaron’s (or Ibe)

23. Joelinton
    24. Gayle
    25. Muto

Out – lazaar, saivet, Colback, Murphy and possibly Aaron’s…

Is this pretty close to what we’re thinking is likely?

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:20 PM

Having been around a few years I think that I can see through most smoke and mirror scenarios. Just look at the way our commercial income has flat lined, and others have a rapid increase in line with the popularity of the Premier League. We are lagging behind – why? Because we have a short sighted parasite as an owner.

I would like to know how much his sales have increased against income that might have been if he had attended to the commercial side of things in the right way.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:20 PM

Munster, it’s good to see he’s made of stern stuff alright… He’s the one I’m holding my breath on… If he ignites brilliant but if he doesn’t then as Jazzy said above, we are too light up top, as out and out strikers we only have Gayle and the u23 lads, we are too light up top, Joelinton is probably going to be deployed there but at Hoffenheim he was an “attacking player” not an out an out striker as such… Big burden and big pressure, hope his big shoulders can handle it!

• beermonkey

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM

jazzy

for the sake of 16mill to sign rondon things would look a lot better

• Munster Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:25 PM

Bill there’s no point me debating rafa. You can already see the narky reaction of guys like rotunda, who i have time for. If guys dont like it, tough shit. But i’ll tell you what, the blog changed over time and people became much more critical and analytical of rafa over time. Thats they way it should always have been. Thats what i wanted to see – fair opinions debated, not shouted down by keyboard warriors. Thats why i asked what he was doing playing dull containment football against our biggest rivals, in a 6 pointer, when we had better players than them. The hardcore are too entrenched, but others started opening their eyes, and a strange move to a nothing chinese club helped that process. I rest my case your honour.

• big bob

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:25 PM

I’m expecting 1 of lascells schar or longstaff to leave tomorrow which will then make zero net spend and the mugs can support the team not the regime and look forward to another season of the same old under Ashley

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Joelinton is a player I like and was one I was on board with from the first reported link. If we were under Rafa I would be confident of him being a success but less so with Bruce. Hopefully his quality comes through.

I did actually big him up too. Plus when we were reportedly very close to being sold, he was one of two suggested signings I put on here as possible sheikh signings because I liked him in Germany.

Different role he will be tasked with but has the qualities to make a success of it. Lot of variables in play though.

I just hope people and fans just ignore his price tag. It’s not his fault that we have paid 40m for and shouldn’t be judged on that.

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:29 PM

Munster,
    Good on you.
    I’m a born and bred Geordie, born near Scotswood Bridge. The house was pulled down years ago as it had become part of a slum. There was never any other team for me. Live in Greater Manchester now, but the Toon is still in my heart.
    I cannot watch most games live because I get so nervous; especially these days.

• YohanKebabShop

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:29 PM

Squad definitely looks light on quality in forward positions but I think there’s 3 or more teams worse than us to save us.

In particular sheff utd, Norwich and Palace…

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:31 PM

The other was Hakim Ziyech for what it’s worth. Please don’t judge me lol. Many posters put up their suggested sheikh signings in the immediate aftermath of the supposed imminent takeover.

• big bob

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:31 PM

Munster
    Rafa moved to a nothing Chinese club instead of what staying at an unambitious north east club who could lie and decieve him every transfer window
    Rafa the man who has managed many teams to different trophies but the fans know more about his players and what they are capable of then he does

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:33 PM

Munster,
    Rafa admitted he had made mistakes. I don’t know if those mistakes coincide when we might have thought it was a mistake or not. The manager lives and dies by results and we have survived a couple of years when I thought that we might be relegated. The parasite is to blame for that.

• YohanKebabShop

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:35 PM

Attacking players are more likely to succeed under bruce than benitez. The team are more likely to lose under bruce.

Benitez is a genius but a safety first genius.

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:38 PM

Like big bob is saying, we are not up there with the top coaches, though I do have coaching credentials from the Lancashire FA (at the lowest level). It is difficult to say what an error was or was not when we don’t have the same information or expertise that these guys have.

• WLtoon

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:39 PM

big bob @51

I said just that to another poster earlier.
    Im more concerned about losing one of our main players than bringing someone in. History under Ashley keeps us on our guard unfortunately.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM

What are we looking at here with the signing of Krafth, 433 maybe.

……………….Dubravka
    Krafth…Lascelles..Lejeune..Dummett.
    …………………Shelvey.
    ……….Hayden………..Longstaff.
    …St Max……Joelinton……Almiron.

for example.

or 442. With 2 out of St Max, Almiron, Ritchie, Atsu, and Yedlin competing for a place wide left and right of a midfield four. Arrons and Murphy unmoved on. And two out of Joelinton, Almiron, St Max, Muto and Gayle up top.

And still with the players to go 3 centre backs and wing backs, 343 like last year, or 3322 like pre season.

I guess it adds a bit of flexibility.

Or maybe Yedlin is off, or Manquillo.

Difficult to understand this one.

• YohanKebabShop

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM

If Ashley sells longstaff tomorrow he immediately makes his new manager look a right mug. Bruce has been adamant that it isn’t happening…

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Yohan
    I disagree. Players who are not willing to work hard and fit into the system Rafa employs are likely to fail. Joelinton doesn’t have that issue as he has a high work rate anyway and good team mentality.

• big bob

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:42 PM

Arsenal Leicester Everton looking for defenders all have money to spend
    Man u selling Lukaku to Milan so will have money for midfielder expecting someone to leave as that’s what our great owner does

• RobLeenio

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:44 PM

Bruce has never had a better squad with premiership survival experience. He’s never had a team with the attacking flair and defensive solidity that he has now.

In short, he’s got Rafa’s team plus a few exciting additions.

I think he could surprise us with what he’s able to achieve. Either that or he’ll have us relegated by Christmas

I really hope it’s the former, I’d like to see him do well.

It’s the owner I have a problem with, not Steve Bruce. It’s the way he was appointed I object to, not the man himself.

It’s still the owner we should concentrate on, but I can’t bring myself to will Steve Bruce to do badly.

• YohanKebabShop

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:47 PM

I think it’ll be as below for arsenal…

Dubravka

Schar. Lascelles. Dummett

Manquillo willems

Longstaff. Shelvey

Saint-maximin. Joelinton. Almiron

• Munster Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:47 PM

Cheers bill i appreciate it. Were u living on the famous scotswood road?

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:49 PM

For me the dilemma for Bruce is does he stick to the similar set up Rafa left but with addition of extra pace to hopefully make attacks and and counter attacks more effective and efficient or, will he go his own route and as some reports and players have mentioned, to play a more ‘expansive’ type of football?

Myself personally I would be more inclined to go and build on the foundations left behind.

• big bob

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:50 PM

I do have an issue with Steve Bruce as a manager we’ve gone from world class manager to a guy who was managing in the championship and has been sacked by 3 or 4 lesser clubs then us in his last few jobs so why should we expect him to be any better with us

• MarkBro

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:50 PM

rondon is great if you want to play 1 up front and keep pumping balls to him

Not many top teams use a big target man, they rely on pace and agility.

Wouldn’t mind having him around but he wasnt the fastest, lets see what our new forward line offers

• Munster Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:51 PM

Rob i agree. I know beefman will kill me but i like the way he comes across. He is right too – it would have hurt him not to take this chance. As for the club, it looks reasonably normal right now. We (finally) got a manager. He is choosing who to let go, and we have spent some money only losing a guy who looked pretty unsettled anyway.

• YohanKebabShop

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:53 PM

Bruce is known to usually play 4-2-3-1 but we look like crap with a back 4 and I think the players have said they prefer a back 3.

• Munster Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:53 PM

Nicky i think its a slightly odd signing too but i dont think our right flank is well defended. Is st max left or right?

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:55 PM

Munster,

Not far off it. About two streets up.

• Munster Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:55 PM

Bob, we are not expecting. We are hoping! But i’m getting behind him over here in Munster. Im sure he is thrilled to know.

• hibbit

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:00 PM

11000 unsold season tickets in the open area’s, corporate booking for the Arsenal game significantly down. unrest on the terraces,and a boycott that, building a head of steam interesting times ahead !!!!!

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:01 PM

My dad and grandad both worked in a foundry in Blaydon. We went to Blaydon races twas on the 9th June, 1862 ….
    As you can see a proper Geordie.

• bill

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:01 PM

Great news Hibbit

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:02 PM

Bruce won’t get rid of Aarons. He’s one of our best players.

I also think he’ll give Saivet and Lazaar a chance. These players will go tomorrow:

Colback – Loan
    Murphy – Loan (good player. Just needs confidence)
    Hayden – £15m
    Gayle – £16m
    Dummett – £7m
    Clark – £7m
    Elliot – £3m

Incoming:

Marega – £27m
    Thiago Maia – £10.5m
    Rony Lopes – £25m
    Jarrod Bowen – £16m

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:05 PM

Berahino has been released from stoke.
    Had a lot of potential as youngster, shame how it’s turned out but only has himself to blame.
    In hindsight we dodged a bullet though.