web analytics

What Should We Expect From Newcastle On Deadline Day And Is There A Surprise In The Works?

Newcastle usually don’t do much business on transfer deadline day though the last two windows did see them make moves on the final day. This past January, Newcastle brought in Miguel Almiron from Atlanta United for a then record fee of £20.5m.

The previous summer window saw Federico Fernandez arrive from Swansea for £6m on deadline day. So what should we expect for deadline day? Will there be any surprises?

It looks like Emil Krafth will be announced. The right-back had his medical today and has already agreed terms. So we expect the announcement of his £5m deal from SC Amiens to come at some point Thursday.

There also doesn’t look like there is anything going to happen with Lille defensive midfielder Thiago Maia as Lille reportedly will only agree to a permanent transfer while Newcastle want a loan deal.

Emil Krafth– should be announced on Thursday

With Jetro Willems signing on Friday and Emil Krafth set to be confirmed, that would presumably rule out moves for PSG left-back Stanley N’Soki and Bordeaux right-back Youssouf Sabaly.

We also still have to wait for confirmation on youth signing Ludwig Francillette as the 20-year-old Frenchman has already been spotted holding up the shirt in photographs.

Then there is the Moussa Sissako situation as he reportedly is to make a decision on a deal between Brighton and Newcastle. The 18-year-old PSG defender was supposed to have made that decision a few days ago so we will see what comes of that.

While all of these deals would be great, we have to wonder if Newcastle have anything of more significance pending. There should still be close to £25-30m in the budget. We also have heard that both Rolando Aarons and Jacob Murphy are set to leave on loan. That would leave Newcastle a little short in wingers.

This is what Andrew Musgrove wrote in the Chronicle when asked what else Newcastle were looking at improving after Emil Krafth.

Steve Bruce has mentioned the words “extra quality” a couple of times now.

Most positions are looking filled up but another wide player could still be a possibility – and if there is an astronomical bid from a

Championship club for Gayle that could make things very interesting.

While we know it is a long shot and probably won’t happen, but tomorrow Newcastle could really make a statement by going for Hull City’s Jarrod Bowen. He would cost about £20m but what a signing that would be.

We also thankfully have not heard any rumblings about any star players being linked with moves recently. We were worried about Martin Dubravka and his link to PSG but he spoke on that earlier in the week. The fear was that PSG would go for Dubravka if they sold Kevin Trapp to Frankfurt. Well, Trapp was sold to Frankfurt on Wednesday but there have been no reports of PSG coming for Martin.

We would have to hope that Newcastle would have the sense to not entertain any offers for any first-teamers this late in the window. And we will also have to see if there is a squad place left available for Andy Carroll.

PlayerFeeClub
Nathan HarkerLoan - JanuaryBlyth Spartans
Jacob MurphySeason loanSheffield Wednesday
Transfer Fees into club£32.5M
Net Spend£25.0M

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:54 PM

Sam Fender called Ashley out at his gig tonight, worldwide that will go.

Caulkin has a interview from Rafa….

What a beautiful night.

#BoycottAshley #boycotarsenal #ashleyout

• lochinvar

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:55 PM

Not quite first

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:58 PM

OP,

You’ll have to excuse my stupidity, but who is Sam fender?

• lochinvar

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:00 PM

Biggest surprise will be if we sign a striker .
    Squad still needs strengthening for the rigours of the Premiership and we need Goal power to get us ahead of the lower table peleton. We need to be between 1st and 10th all season. 1st preferably.

• jane

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:01 PM

is a boycotter someone with a season ticket who isn’t going to go? how many post on here?

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:02 PM

If we get Bowen in then I’ll become a believer. After one or two years Ashley could sell him for 60-100m and reduce the debt and askng price

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:02 PM

I think a good point has been made about Bills Son. He is a prime exponent of all that is wrong about NUFC as it has become. He is actually a touchstone of the completely morally wrong view of how a club should be supported. He cannot grasp the fact that money at the turnstile enriches the man he supposedly hates being an owner and actually cements his tenure. Like an addict who knows his life is being destroyed but one more fix will set it right. Blindly and misguidedly equating spending money to watch a product designed to tread water with righteous loyalty.

He’s a remarkable phenomenon. Totally deluded but absolutely dedicated to that delusion. Unreasonable to a fanatic degree.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:04 PM

NY mag

A up and coming musician from the area, people expect big things.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:05 PM

BBC 5 Live Sport
    @5liveSport
    “They’re entitled to boycott, they pay their hard-earned money”

Steve Bruce speaks to us about planned fan protest at #NUFC on Sunday

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:06 PM

bill, Stalin and Hitler were the same. Both dictators

I agree.

But OP seems to think he is getting back at me a tory and himself a full on jak boot communist.

And he says I should be sectioned?

The man really must be a child or someone of very low intellect.

• 9

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Transfer business completed once KRaft (excuse spelling) arrives. Hopefully no first team outgoings, but there is plenty time for that, unfortunately. Fingers crossed, our two proven goalscorer out, no proven goalscorer, though two possibilities, in. Dodgy, very. Keep Gayle unless you’re replacing him with a better EPL goalscorer (improbable, to be polite). Goals our problem. Cover for goals?………….erm……..

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:09 PM

Thanks OP,

Never heard of him/her…..but I’m not very young and trendy anymore (not that I ever was)

• jane

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:10 PM

you are one of the coolest on here 🙂

• RobLeenio

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:12 PM

One thing that annoys me is people referring to Bruce as a manager. He was announced as first team coach and has the power and influence concomitant with that role.

Support him in that role, don’t expect anything more from him.

He will never get us the facilities we need. He will never be able to build a squad in his own image. He will never influence the future of the club. In short, he’ll never be able to exert the influence Rafa wanted to and he will never be Rafa Benitez.

This is what we lost when Rafa left, no matter the strengths of Bruce as a person.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:13 PM

So… balotelli? Possible deadline day signing?

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Llorente? Also free transfer?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:14 PM

NY

Young trendy, that’s the point, this guy can reach the youngins who know no better, they’ve been the hardest to reach.

• carltoon

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:15 PM

NY Mag. Supersonic Missile, Sam Fender. Even I know who he is. Only because he’s from North Shields, and he’s a big Newcastle fan. But I’ll let you off seen as you don’t live here anymore.

• RobLeenio

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Bleatin’, he’s apathetic, like many NUFC fans sadly.

Hopefully the media coverage for the arsenal match will focus on the many thousands who will take a stand against the regime, rather than those who merely accept it.

It is what it is because we’ve allowed it to be just that for too long. Things appear to be changing, we can only hope that fans as passionate and outspoken as bills son will join the cause sooner rather than later.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:19 PM

Night lads and lasses, I’m off to bed with a smile on my face and Anti Ashley chants in my ears.

A swet night it will be, unless Bills sends Ashley’s goons round to evict me.

#BoycottAshley #boycotarsenal #ashleyout

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:19 PM

OP,

Fair do’s – it’s always good to have someone on board who can connect the younger generation.

Carltoon – supersonic missile, nope. Sorry, still none the wiser. You’ll have to forgive my ignorance.

Jane, if that comment was for me. Then I’m flattered, but certainly don’t deserve it 🙂

• MrMojoRisin76

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:20 PM

Bills
    Because you like comparing us to other club’s,i’ve got one for you.Us and Spurs,Since the Premier League started to until fatty took over we finished above them in the league in all but 4 or 5 seasons.They don’t pay crazy prices for players too often,they have built the club over the seasons and look where they are now.If jabba had our best interests at heart and is such a good businessman how come he hasn’t realised that if he followed that model the club would be worth 7 or 8 times what he paid for it now?.It’s because he doesn’t give a f”ck about growing the club at all.

• carltoon

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:20 PM

Did anyone listen to Total Sport tonight. A pro. Ashley supporter arguing with a anti Ashley who was a quest on the show. BBC letting fans have their say for a change.

• carltoon

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:23 PM

NY Mag I’ll forgive you. You’ll have to check him out. It’s not my kind of music. OP what happened at the meeting did it go off well.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:23 PM

I think boycotting a select number of home games is the way to go, rather than a blanket boycott. Jolts of energetic organized protest, in a variety of different ways, that the media will pick up on.

Keep up the pressure. Make sure Ashley and the rest of the country are completely aware that he is no longer tolerated at the club, in the guise we know him, but still support the side.

We can’t abandon the lads, that’s too great a sacrifice, with far too uncertain an outcome I think. It might not work, then again it might, but it certainly can influence the owner to at least do better.

We can’t just sit back and do nothing. You do need to protest to create change, otherwise we’ve got no hope.

Great gratitude to those on the ground on Tyneside and elsewhere giving up their time for this. It’s beyond admirable. It’s wholly needed. Total respect.

• ToonMatt

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:25 PM

Bills Son, You touched a raw nerve with me tonight mentioning cancer and strokes in a post replying to Jail? I nearly died from a stroke at 35 and lost my Dad to cancer, Ed too has had his own battle with it, There’s banter but this is disgusting.
    I don’t care what anyone says to me or no matter how much they wind me up, I would not use those words, do us all a favor and disappear from this blog, you are nothing but a scumbag.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:30 PM

Bleatin’ n Bruced @ 8,

You do realise that there were 50,000 average home crowds last season.

And 45,000 when we got relegated.

And there will be at least 45,000 average this season despite any boycotts.

So what you are really saying is that we are all “Like an addict who knows his life is being destroyed but one more fix will set it right. Blindly and misguidedly equating spending money to watch a product designed to tread water with righteous loyalty.”

Can you not see how ridiculous your diatribe is.

You and your like are not real fans, you are a twisted delusional minority who think you are ‘big guys’ for shouting, bawling and beating your chests until they bleed.

I’m no remarkable phenomenon. Or totally deluded but absolutely dedicated to that delusion. Or unreasonable to a fanatic degree.

I’m just a fan who went to his first game with my dad in 1961, who has watched us through mostly thin and thin…

Been one of a 13,000 crowd in the old 2nd Division long before Ashley arrived…

Seen us sell Suddick, SuperMac, Gascoigne, Waddle, Beardsley, Ferdinand and Ginola…

Travelled to 100s of away games…

Across Europe during the great KK and SBR years…

Seen former Prem clubs like Leeds, Notts Forest, Blackburn, QPR and Sunderland be truly ruined by new owners…

Someone who understands that the game has changed into a mini super league of top London and Manchester clubs + Liverpool…

Someone who,despite all of this, refuses to allow Ashley to stop my almost lifelong passion for supporting NUFC.

Boycotts, creating a bad atmosphere in the ground, not giving Bruce a chance etc., etc., ALL AFFECTS THE PLAYERS AND THE PERFORMANCE OF THE TEAM.

The team needs every single bit of support it can get – it is what NUFC fans are supposedly renowned for.

1000 home fans jeering and booing is worse for team spirit and morale than 50,000 away fans giving us stick.

I’m not delusioned, apathetic or an Ashley defender.

I’m a NUFC supporter.

First, second and third.

And neither you or anyone on this blog will ever change that.

HWTL.

• WLtoon

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:32 PM

Carltoon @24
    I heard the phone in tonight. Was surprised the bbc host did,nt stop the anti Ashley fan from telling it how it is. It will be interesting to find out what was said at the meeting in town tonight.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:37 PM

ToonMatt

I left this blog c5 years ago because, in the space of three months, I had a stroke and my wife was diagnosed with cancer.

I had more on mind than this blog and didn’t return for about 18 months.

I had been an Ashley defender before I originally left but had changed my tune when I came back, and posted accordingly.

However, Jail accused me of using my stroke and my wife’s cancer as an excuse for not coming on the blog during a period when things were really bad under Ashley.

This was a despicable accusation, and I left the blog in disgust and did not return until c3months ago.

THAT is why I made my earlier post.

Jail has a real obsession with hounding me and I have absolutely zero respect for the man.

I hope this puts the record straight.

• carltoon

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:37 PM

WLtoon I listen every night and they always stop ant anti Ashley talk. But it was the way they let the argument go on which suprised me. Ha ha John Anderson didn’t get a look in.

• stan anderson

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:46 PM

Who is Bills son.?
    Bit of a nutter me thinks.
    He calls people idiots for stating their point of view.
    Dictatorial is that ?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:49 PM

Ashley’s entitled to want to sell at his own valuation, so long as the figure is not outlandish, and he’s obligated to sell to a buyer with the best interests of the club at heart and the funds to take us forward.

But in the meantime, make sure you have a mechanism in place to give the manager sufficiently capable squads, and put in ten million or so a year out of your own pocket for SD’s and MASH’s advertising to properly maintain the stadium and upgrade the training facility.

It’s not rocket science, it’s affordable and cost effective and the dissent will go away.

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:50 PM

Stan,

I would say he gives as good as he gets.
    Not that I agree with the bickering. But, it is what it is

• NY Mag

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:56 PM

Nicky,

I’ll ask you this question (even though many people have said the same thing)
    I’m pretty sure I’ll get a more reasoned response from you.

This whole stadium Is falling apart and academy and training facilities are not fit for purpose business.

Now,I haven’t been to st James in many years and I’ve never been to the academy / training center in my life.

Is it really as bad as people say?

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:04 AM

stan anderson

I call people idiots for stating their point of view?

Very, very rarely.

But I get called everything from a cretin to someone who should be sectioned.

What have you got to say about that?

I bet…

Absolutely nowt.

• kilcline

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:04 AM

This blog needs moderating, some very personal stuff flying around.

We all want the same thing, to have a football club that excites us week in week out, something to look forward to when we are miserable at work, something to take our children to watch, something to give us hope. Please stop the childish posts

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:04 AM

No, neither is that bad NY, but both need more attention than they get.

The stadium was once a jewel, now it’s looking a bit shabby. Could do with a good thorough wash for a start. 🙂

The training ground is far from state of the art, although still fit for purpose, nice pitches, everything you need is there, but it’s not as good as it should be for a club our size, in terms of preparing players and attracting players.

• NY Mag

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM

Thanks Nicky,

Appreciate the honest feedback.
    I only ever see the stadium from the ‘airshots’ on TV – it still looks magnificent from that (albeit you don’t see the finer details)

The bins full of water gets wheeled out quite often (if you’ll excuse the pun). But for me, that was just ‘boys will be boys’ messing about in the hot weather.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM

kilcline,

I agree absolutely.

This is no longer a blog for debate.

It is a blog were anyone with a view that is not anti-Ashley to the extreme, who does not believe he is fraudulently taking money out of the club, who supports the team not the regime, who will continue to go to matches, who will give Bruce a chance, who sees the new signings as a good thing not an Ashley PR stunt etc., etc.

Is shouted down, sworn at, ridiculed and sworn at.

By, you have to laugh, people who say THEY are the real supporters.

Really?