web analytics

Star Player Addresses Bruce’s Arrival And Fan Unrest

Martin Dubravka was interviewed by BBC Radio 5Live and his comments have been published by the Chronicle in full this morning.

A few of the passages we found interesting were when Martin addressed the arrival of Steve Bruce and the issue of fan unrest ahead of the Arsenal match.

This is what our Slovakian keeper said about the if players were upset with the departure of Rafa Benitez.

“It depends on which player. Obviously, Rafael Benitez brought me here to England so I can only say positive things.

“Some of the players didn’t play when he was here so they were probably more happy that they had the chance to show themselves in front of another coach.”

Well, you can’t argue with anything Martin has said here. He is very diplomatic in his words but this is an honest assessment. Though, it does not look like many of the players who didn’t play under Rafa Benitez will get much of an opportunity under Steve Bruce.

Other than Jonjo Shelvey who really only missed out due to his thigh injury and Javier Manquillo who finished the season while DeAndre Yedlin was injured, there’s really no other player who is likely to feature more under Steve Bruce.

It will be interesting to see how much Dwight Gayle gets into the first eleven. With the arrival of Andy Carroll, that will limit some opportunities for Gayle once the big man is fit and ready to go.

About Steve Bruce’s impact on the squad, this is what Dubravka has said.

“For me, Steve Bruce is the first English manager I have had so it is a new experience in my life.

“What I have noticed is that the guys are trying to work really hard. I can’t say that wasn’t the case before but obviously, there were some players in the starting line-up every week and they wouldn’t need to show themselves that hard but now everybody is in the same line and they can show themselves.

“They have some minutes on the pitch so it is great to see they are trying to push each other.

“It is a great impulse but the season will show us where we actually are.”

This is to be expected when a new manager comes in and the slate is wiped clean. All players will be on alert and feel they have to prove themselves to the new staff.

Again, it doesn’t look like many of those who were out on loan under Rafa Benitez are going to have much of a change of fortune under Bruce. We have seen Jacob Murphy already go on loan to Sheffield Wednesday and Achraf Lazaar fly to Italy to try and get a loan deal done. Once the squad is announced we would assume most of those out on loan last season will not be part of this season’s squad either.

Then Martin addresses the fan unrest and the potential boycott that has been brewing for some time.

“It is hard for us as football players because you can’t stay on both sides.

“You have your opinion but the only thing we can do is to show it on the pitch. The only thing we can do for our fans and our club is to fight for every point, every duel.

“I know they expect sometimes for us to get behind them as well but obviously it is impossible.

“If you are standing with some of the fans that are negative you can’t stand behind them.

“There is also your private life, your career. I received some messages saying I should speak with my team-mates and make a boycott. This is impossible.

“What I would really like to do is play football and enjoy that every week. I am trying to do everything for this club and everything for these fans to make them proud and that is the only thing we can do.

“Still stay behind us and let us show you that we can still put this club high in the table because we have some quality.

“This is a big club that deserves to be much higher in the table.”

We feel that these comments by Dubravka are pitch-perfect under the circumstances. He seems to understand the situation but also what his role is as a professional. As a player, he wants the fans to be happy but still knows that it’s the results that ultimately are what matters. All he can control is his preparation and performance on the pitch.

Martin has grown into such a leader and is of such massive importance to this squad. What a signing he has been.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Hail Ronaldo!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:52 PM

It is dangerous, but he’s gonna open us up. We’ve spent money on the attack. Brought in some exciting young forwards who need to be encouraged. And he’s got Shelvey as the pivot in a midfield three. We’re are not gonna sit back and counter, the way we did last term.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Hail
    Happy to have egg on my face and never afraid to be wrong. Everyone is wrong at times it’s no big deal. If I may say so myself, I do tend to be more right than wrong but if Carroll proves me wrong on the pitch or even off it then I will post like I have done before and say I got it wrong.

Plus we can be positive as much as want but nobody watches West Ham regularly. A better indicator of where Carroll is will be more accurate from West Ham fans.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Bit barmy texting Dubs to ask him to support a boycott ha ha these lads are under contract and besides which, regardless of the off-pitch antics I’m sure most genuine fans would like the team to do well despite the Fat One. And his Fat coach.

• #boycott Arsenal

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:07 PM

That’s the best response I’ve heard so far, I’ve gone right off Matt Ritchie now.

• hibbit

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:08 PM

it’s a huge gamble getting and keeping andy caroll fit

• stu mel

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Well being honest that in my opinion is the second best widows under ashley. That’s still a c grade from me. Good signing all of the and some exciting players in there saint n joelintoon bit positives would have like another striker as I feel muto isn’t a striker more a number 10 for me. Carol deal makes sense to me impacted subs hasn’t got the legs for a full game but can nick a goal. Midfielder looks ok n defender I think ok too. It’s up top I think the squad is stronger n I’m guessing there was a lot of tension between player rafa didn’t want to buy again muto comes to mind never giving a crack of the whip. Murphy must be terrible so I wont mention him. I’ll get behind Bruce hes doing everything ok granted before the prem has kick off wait for the pressure to mount still want ashley out. Wont be rushing to get a ticket anytime soon but still watch on sky. Carroll a no brainer fills a hole give us more depth. Need another 30 miles striker in Jan definitely grade c improvement has be made but could do better not work your fullest just give the squad what it need to push on with a manger I hope I’m wrong n thing gel for him here. This looks like the best squad Bruce has had . Miky where is the money is still going on in my head I reckon another 40 mile would have had a complete squad and still took for youth to get a chance

• Mindshaft

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Definitely best response from a player on the fan unrest – Ritchie should take note

So Bruce has already come out and said we might not see Carroll until winter!! 60k a week – what happened to pay as you play …

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Rin Knee isn’t telling porkies I had exactly the same thing regarding that town. 🙂 Try it and see ha ha.

Thankfully in my case it wasnt embedded in one of my Tolstoyesque epics. 😀

• Mindshaft

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:14 PM

Arsenal will show us where we are at – they are basically a top 8 team but nowhere near top 4-6 , given we’re playing at home – I’m expecting a win.
    I’ll be watching in pub obviously #boycottarsenal

• posada

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:14 PM

Mentioned yesterday that Andy Carroll is a freak in that he can leap so high.
    The last person with that ability was the Mighty Wyn.
    How did they do it. Part of it I feel is down to the spring they have in their muscles etc.
    That can go by age 27/28.
    Carroll has had lots of injuries as well.
    The Mighty Wyn. Only scored 4 goals at the top level after the age of 30. Nine if you count his 5 for Blackpool.

Prediction – that spring will be gone. Is he the same player without it.

• Goofy

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:15 PM

Debravkas interview seemed heart felt, not scripted. Sounds like a guy who just wants to do the job he’s paid for.

Looking at the divide in the fans opinions on boycott no boycott, Give Bruce a chance, he’s useless, Ashley done ok in this window, Ashley hasn’t spent anything, it’s a complete mess, maybe time to remove the “United” from Newcastle United. Definitely no cohesion/connection between the fans, manager, owner. I can’t see any fix until Ashley is gone.

All the complaining, disagreeing, boycotting etc is going to discourage the players and relegation seems inevitable.

I still live in hope the team gels quickly but with all the other stuff going on in and around the club says not.

• Rob1971

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Hibbitt that’s what I was getting at yesterday when fans were suggesting Carroll could be the signing of the summer, history tells you he will come back for a handfull of games and then be out months with another injury, in his time at West Ham he only played 20+ league games once

• Mister Tuff

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:16 PM

dig – you mentioned earlier about giving David Ruiz a baptism of fire.
    I hope he’s in the Arsenal team on Sunday.
    Get after him and he wobbles, loses his composure and is all over the place.
    I think we have the players to “rattle” him (ASM, Miggy and Joelinton). Get after him and they’ll lose their composure.
    Plus he’s an arrogant fellow as well.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:17 PM

There’s plenty unsaid by Dubs there. Even the boycott mention – ha ha nice one of course i can’t actually take part…..but…. 😉

Neil’s right here – I doubt even Broose will have the neck to put his own stamp on to the extent we see the knackers (red headed or otherwise) feature again. So the step up in work rate by the regulars is just quality assurance really.

• Munster Mag

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:22 PM

Im sure Ritchie will be in bits when he hears you dont like him anymore Jail

• hibbit

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:32 PM

depending on who you read Carroll is 4/6 weeks away from being fully fit, lets just hope JoeLinton stays fit over that period or we’re goosed

• ToonMatt

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:33 PM

I’m just looking on the official premier league site and it has Carroll with the number 7 squad number? If anyone is interested.