web analytics

Midfielder Gives Positive Assessment Of Today’s Match And Gets Some Recognition For His Performance

Isaac Hayden was interviewed for the Newcastle United website after his excellent performance in a 0-1 defeat to Arsenal.

This is some of what Isaac has said about the match.

“I thought we ran them close. I thought we had the better of the chances, really, during the game.

“But, against a top-six club in the Premier League, if you make one mistake – or if they have one half chance – they’re going to make the most of it.

“But credit to the lads, I think it was one of those ‘nearly performances’. I think we’ve had quite a few of those over the last couple of years but there’s definitely progress.

“Hopefully the fans can see from the club’s perspective that the players that they’ve brought in – and the players that are here – have progressed. It was a new formation, a new style of play and I think it suited the team today.

“I think it’s going to take time. Unfortunately, in football, you don’t seem to get much time.

“The new manager’s come in – it’s going to take time to get used to him for a lot of the players – and there’s a new formation as well as new players coming in.

“There’s a lot of change at the football club but, you know, as the weeks go on I think you’ll start to see the benefit of it. Even today, you saw the benefit of it. It was a good performance, lacking slightly in the final pass or taking a bit more care on the ball.

“But, in general – especially against a top-six side – I thought it was quite a good performance.”

We think Isaac Hayden is accurate in his reflection of today’s performance. It is early going and on another day it could have been three points. We were punished by a mistake but kept Arsenal very limited in their chances.

The formation and style of play are new and that showed in some of the poor passes and lack of spatial awareness. This is something the team will work to improve upon.

We still don’t know what the best eleven is as Allan Saint-Maximin, Jetro Willems, and Emil Krafth have only just the team less than a week and a half ago with Krafth just joining on Thursday.

Steve Bruce has only been with the club since July 17th which is just over three weeks ago. It will take time to get all the issues sorted and some of the finer details perfected. It is not time to panic just yet. Let’s hope to see some improvement against Norwich City this Saturday.

This is what Isaac has said about that upcoming match at Carrow Road.

“It’ll be a tough game. I watched Norwich on Friday and they played some good stuff.

“They’ll be wanting to bounce back from their defeat and they’ll be raring to go.

“It’s their first Premier League game back at home and we’re under no illusions – every game’s tough, and it’s just up to us to prepare this week, do the right things and go from there.”

The game against Norwich will be very interesting as Norwich have a lot of work to do this week as well. We felt they were very naive against Liverpool and paid the price. However, they do offer a threat going forward and Teemu Pukki looks a really good player.

Isaac has also been receiving some plaudits for his solid performance today. Some twitter accounts have posted some statistical analysis of his appearance today below.

• toontiotenufc

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:29 AM

1st half was quite impressed with how we looked and the shape and had a decent spell where i thought we might get a goal…. 2nd half the Shelvey sub changed it…. having Ki on the bench would have been a more or less like for like replacement and we could have kept the shape

nevertheless 1 game thats all it is and its too early to judge…. hayden played a blinder and Joelinton will bag goals….

as for the atmosphere (from a TV perspective) it was utter shite! if this is what the boycotters are wanting then shame on you…. march and protest to every SD store/head office or Charnley’s house but don’t bring that negativity to the games at home…. it was the weirdest atmosphere i have heard in forever and the team would have felt that 100%

• Mindshaft

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:30 AM

I asked yesterday about the atmosphere in the ground , a few people who went to the game said it was terrible and out sang by the arsenal fans pretty much the whole match.
    Lots of empty seats but still well over 40,000 – anyone saying the boycott didn’t work are deluded – Sky and by all accounts other networks all picked up on it and mentioned it numerous times – that is exactly the aim of the boycott , we want the rest of the u.k / world to understand the reasons we are boycotting is Ashley’s tenure ( who agrees he probably shouldn’t own a football club ).
    Linton did not look like a 40 million player yesterday but then again Pepe didn’t look a 40 million player when he came on and he cost 70+ million

• Toon222

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:45 AM

BOYCOTT WATFORD

• 9

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:45 AM

The main weakness was our passing, which was absolutely dreadful throughout. Consequently, no sooner did we have the ball than we gave it away. When the board went up for 2extra minutes at the end of a totally turgid first half by two poor teams, I thought “Here comes 120 seconds of unbroken Arsenal possession in our half” and so it proved – I counted 2NUFC touches in that period. Although they were doing absolutely nothing with it, Arsenal kept the ball where we couldn’t. Just an off-day? I hope so!

• lochinvar

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:49 AM

last season three points (the win against Man City) out of 36 against the top six
    yesterday should have been one yet alone three with more to come to improve on that stat
    that’s how you get into the top eight say..

• DubaiMicky

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Looking at the attendance and season tickets sold, let’s take a round figure of 30,000 STs sold, out of the official attendance of 47.6k, and the estimate of 45k or so there, that basically means 3,000 ST holders decided to boycott.

There were 3,000 or so Arsenal fans (that made a lot more noise than the 42k or so Toon fans – that I heard on ESPN at least), so the core support is around 41,000. They are the people that need to be persuaded, 27,000 ST holders and 14,000 single purchase holders.

I would think that the fact TMG etc. were outside, then surely the boycott has now left the Twitterati and has gone mainstream, people can’t say they don’t know anything about it now, they have eyes don’t they!

I can see that these figures (those boycotting) will only increase, especially if Bruce doesn’t get the wins he needs, the 14,000 single purchase folk are possibly the easiest as the ST holders will always have a core sector that won’t boycott at all (I’d think around the 22,000 mark).

Good luck to all those that participate in the boycott, I’m still not convinced it will work but I truly hope it does.

• Munster Mag

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:20 AM

That must have been the worst atmosphere ever at st james park. Not a bad first half but the second half was a shambles. Bruce must be a bit embarrassed about Jethro playing in the wrong position. We will need a far higher workrate from joelinton who has elements of strolling shola about him. I didnt see any pace from him. We have to give Bruce time but that was worrying.

• big bob

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:20 AM

1st game of season would have been alot of fair weather supporters even though it was hoying it down next home game is best to guage boycott.. but doing something is better then doing nothing turned it off at half time was really poor think I counted 2 shots on target not sure why Hayden was playing right wing he is pretty Clueless going forward obviously need to give new players time but don’t think we can afford to give them much with Rafa in charge and rondon up front yesterday we would have beat them no doubt in my mind we got beat by an arsenal reserve team no lacazette no Pepe no ceballos no Tierney no luiz

• Mindshaft

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:33 AM

Martoon….

Position… 17th
    Points… 39
    League cup: 2nd Round
    FA cup… 4th Round
    Player of the season.. Almiron
    Top goal scorer.. Gayle
    Number of goals.. 8

• lochinvar

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM

Bruce didn’t communicate his plans to Jethro effectively.
    Where were the two Steves and the clipboards with notes and diagrams ?
    It’s all in the detail.
    If that had been Rafa it probably wouldn’t have happened, so no Arsenal goal and a 0-0 draw and one point.
    You need confidence in your leader

• Nufc-83

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM

Danish you sound like a spoilt brat. I want a million pounds does that mean I go around moaning because I don’t have it…..no!

You say we should be competing with teams such as Everton but haven’t they got rich owners who are pumping money into the club? Well we haven’t so you need to realise we’re we are as a club and team.

What about the likes of Leeds and notts forest etc. Some will say they are bigger clubs than us yet where are they!

I am not happy with Ashley as our owner and would be over the moon if we got bought by a rich shiek yet I don’t go on like it’s a god given right or like we have a team capable of a top 4 finish!

• Lindisfarne

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:50 AM

Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
    Dear, dear! What can the matter be?
    Oh, dear! What can the matter be?
    Mikeys not drinking in Toon.

He promised to not buy a trophey or cup
    And then for a smile oh, he vowed he’d sell up
    He promised to not bring in expensive new players
    We want him to get out real soon.

• NezzaNUFC

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:52 AM

Martoon
    Position 20
    Points 14
    Fa 5th round
    League cup 5th round
    Top scorer Longstaff 5
    Player of season. Dubs

• NezzaNUFC

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Fans want Mike out but still fill the ground lol

Hmm who should really be blamed for Newcastles state!?

• Nufc-83

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:55 AM

Shot Bru can I ask how you have come to the conclusion Joelinton is a poor finisher?

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:59 AM

After flicking through the live 3 o clocks on the Kidi and from the other live games I saw over the weekend, tells me we can win more than our fair share of points, Watford have big defensive problems, likewise C Pal,Bournemouth couldn’t see off a weak Shef U side, Burnley saw little resistance from Souton and Norwich are nailed on for the drop if they persist with Hanley, Villa looked the best of the 3 that came up, there should be more than than enough point available for our squad compared to the others from what I have seen I see us slugging it out in mid table with Leicester,Wolves Everton W Ham.
    I must admit I was very alarmed at how toothless we looked against a weak Arsenal team considering our starting lineup. As for 47.000 fans there to support the team, they were done over by about 3.000 Arsenal fans, what was all that about?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:03 AM

Nufc-83,
    We haven’t got rich owners, that’s news to me. Everton are just slightly more well off than us in value
    Farhad Moshiri
    Citizenship British
    Alma mater University College London
    Occupation Owner of Everton Shareholder of USM Holdings Shareholder of MegaFon Shareholder of Metalloinvest
    Net worth US$1.7 billion (2018 Forbes list) US$2.3 billion (2017 Forbes list)

Mike Ashley
    Born: 9 September 1964 (age 54 years), Walsall
    Nationality: British
    Spouse: Linda Ashley (m. 1988–2003)
    Net worth: 2.6 billion USD (2019)

Pretty much shoots down your argument, you mean we haven’t got an ambitious owner.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:06 AM

Nufc-83,
    You sound like Micheal Own or Rio bloody Ferdinand, nobody is saying we have a right to a top four finish but we deserve better than Steve Bruce who is now at best, along with George Burley, Martin O Neill and Paul Jewell a washed up middling championship manager at best.

• martoon

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:12 AM

Morning lads & lasses – I’m taking Blog Predictions 😀

I’m keeping the categories the same as last year – to remind you they are:
    Final League Position
    Final No. of Points
    League Cup Round (2:Entry, 7:Final)
    FA Cup Round (3:Entry, 8:Final)
    Player of the Season (Blog)
    Top Goal Scorer (League & Cup)
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer

When doing your prediction could you please put martoon in the post – then I can find it easily.

So far I have predictions from:
    martoon
    Shot Bru
    Sports Direct FC
    ChicoUSA
    SredniVashtar
    Mindshaft
    NezzaNUFC

Apologies if I’ve missed you – just repost with my name in!

• Nufc-83

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Jail i constantly argue with other fans who tell me we are deluded as a fan base. I think that was true 6-7 years ago but no longer yet when I come on this blog and see predictions such as 4-1 win vs Arsenal and people feeling we will win easy I honestly am not sure. Wake up and realise where we are as a club. We are not in the worst position (such as Leeds, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Blackburn, notts Forrest, Portsmouth, Ipswich, charlton, QPR, Fulham, Stoke) yet of course we are not competing for top 4 either. Mid table consolidation is our target we should be happy with that and on yesterday’s performance we will achieve it.

• Mindshaft

Aug 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM

NUFC-83 , where do you think the goals will come from ? honest question?
    My main worry is that between Muto / Gayle / Linton / Almiron we don’t have a 15 goals striker – think they will all get a few and maybe one of Gayle / Linton might just get 10 or 11 – I just don’t see a lot of goals , bringing Andy Carroll back was a mistake in my opinion when we really needed a fit 15 – 20 goals a season striker to help Linton