These are our player ratings for today’s 0-1 loss against Arsenal.
Martin Dubravka – 6
- Not much to do today but made a superb save against Aubameyang in the first half. Could do nothing about the only goal. Distribution was a little lacking at times but played it safe rather than tempting trouble.
Matt Ritchie – 7
- Matt played very well today on the left in a customary committed performance. Had to be pushed into midfield when Shelvey was taken off but still was decent there. Passed a late fitness test but was still able to last the entire game.
Paul Dummett – 6
- We thought Paul looked very good on the left side of a back 3. He was very good in defense and his commitment to the cause can never be questioned. His poor pass to Willems led to the goal so that has knocked his rating a bit. However, we like Dummett in the position he played today.
Jamaal Lascelles – 6
- Was caught out for the lone goal but played decently other than that. Strong in the air and helped limit Arsenal chances but questions will be asked about the goal.
Fabian Schar – 6
- Fabian was decent defensively and dealt with the Arsenal attackers very well. Didn’t display too much of his ball-playing skills today though with three in midfield, he wasn’t asked too.
Javier Manquillo – 6
- Javier was ok but really did not take full advantage of what will likely be a run in the team with Yedlin out injured and Emil Krafth having just joined. He was good going forward and decent defensively but was hoping for more after a stellar pre-season.
Sean Longstaff – 6
- Not the best performance in a Newcastle shirt but he will get better. Seemed to be stifled a bit by Shelvey’s presence and did not play with the same self-assurance he showed last season. This was to be expected in his first competitive fixture back from injury. This run out will do him the world of good.
Isaac Hayden – 7
- We thought Hayden was excellent and played all over the pitch. Started out in central midfield before drifting to right back where he made a crucial tackle and then interception near the end of the first half. Came on in the second half and played higher up behind the two strikers before it all went strange with the substitutions. Was better in first half but one of our top performers today.
Jonjo Shelvey – 6
- His substitution due to a minor injury changed the game as there was no natural replacement. He played decently but his lack of pace was very evident especially when he lost the ball. Also his presence seemed to cause problems for Sean Longstaff. Bruce will have to figure how to get the best out of Shelvey and Longstaff when they play together.
Miguel Almiron – 6
- Was excellent in the first twenty minutes before receiving a yellow card for diving. After that he became a bit of a passenger as Arsenal grew into the game.. Moved deeper into midfield after Longstaff came off for Saint-Maximin. Really didn’t show too much in a deeper position but by that time Newcastle were struggling to get back into the game.
Joelinton – 6
- Had some good chances early but couldn’t finish them. Put in a committed performance and tracked back, though maybe a little too much. He showed the type of player he is and should have solid first season. Could do really well as a second striker behind Andy Carroll. Not much service in the second half but he still worked very hard.
Jetro Willems – 5
- Did not react quickly enough to Dummett’s poor pass for the goal but had a disorienting introduction into the midfield just prior to that. Not much to go on here as the team was very disjointed after Shelvey and Longstaff were brought off.
Allan Saint-Maximin – 7
- Showed flashes of brilliance but drifted wide too often, though he was trying to make something happen. Had a lethal cross from the right moments after his introduction. Very quick off the mark and would suit a more direct system. He is certainly a maverick and Bruce will have to figure how to best channel his mercurial tendencies.