web analytics

Key Player Speaks About Record Signings Being A Handful For Arsenal

Matt Ritchie had a good game yesterday for Newcastle and was one of our better players. His versatility was on display as he moved into central midfield when Jonjo Shelvey had to leave with a minor knock.

Matt spoke to NUFC TV after the game yesterday and, like the rest of the players who made comments, expressed disappointment with the result but optimism about the performance.

He spoke about our two latest record signings in Miguel Almiron and Joelinton a bit and how they should prove to be exciting going forward. He also spoke about the poor goal but took some consolation that it was preventable.

This is a little of what Matt said yesterday after the game:

“I thought we performed really well in spells, we got into some really good areas.

“The quality wasn’t quite there in the final third – speaking for myself, really, I feel I should have had a shot on one and there was one cross that I felt I should have done better with personally.

“We got into some good areas, created some in the final third – I thought Miguel and Joe were a real handful.

“Miggy was fantastic throughout the whole game and I’m sure that will excite everyone involved with the club, so there are certainly positives to take.

“Defensively we were very solid, very sound, and it’s just disappointing that the goal came from a little bit of sloppy play from us rather than outstanding play from Arsenal.

“Playing top teams with top players, you have to limit them to very little. We did that and they probably only had one or two shots on our goal.

“But at the top level, they take them and Aubameyang, a top striker, did that, so it’s frustrating. But we need to dust ourselves down and move on.”

We thought the performance was a good one yesterday and subsequent viewings, with emotion removed, makes that clear. Matty Ritchie played very well and Almiron and Joelinton caused Arsenal problems especially in the first half.

The boys lacked a bit of cutting edge in the final third but it was the first competitive match for Joelinton and Almiron together so they will only improve. We also thought that Isaac Hayden and Fabian Schar were excellent. There are a lot of positives to take from yesterday. We are glad the leaders of this team are putting an emphasis on that.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:43 PM

Runaway Train

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM

poasad,
    We haven’t got a membership. We are a group of fans sick of Mike Ashley, we talk about policy, we all were in favour of a boycott.

• posada

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM

Genjikai
    Aug 12, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    posada

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    Has anyone e mailed the Magpie Group.
    How many members do they have.
    Who decides their policy.
    What is their strategy.

Who made the decision to call for a boycott. Is that decision recorded anywhere. Can we have it explained.
    Silence.
    Have you emailed them?
    I know you havnt.
    *****************************************
    How do you know I havent.
    Are you part of the group.
    If so answer the questions.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Watched the 9 minutes highlights on the NUFC site and we looked pretty good on them, their GK made some cracking saves, although from what’s been said on the blog the other 81 minutes are best forgotten.

The Willems rickett was also in the highlights though and whether he knew where he was supposed to be playing or not is irrelevant he should have moved towards the ball and won it easily a basic school kid error.

He needs to get up to EPL speed, as simple as that.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Anybody know how to watch an hours highlights of the weekend’s football so I don’t have to watch MotD 1 and 2

• MidlandsMag

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Genjikai

From previous thread. Me and my grandson were there yesterday. Shame about the weather but we made our point. Watching the match in the pub afterwards, I thought there were more empty seats than I expected as there seemed to be a lot of people going into the ground – would guess at a 45,000 attendance.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:46 PM

These aren’t the answers your looking for (in my best Alec Guiness voice)

• beermonkey

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:46 PM

posada

op has answered you and genjikai (sorry if i spelt wrong)

both have spoken to you today with an explanation

here is a link to there twitter drop them a line

• posada

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:47 PM

You’ve got Bobbybee on here getting stick.
    The assumption being that he went to the match.
    If he did that is entirely his prerogative.

That’s what this boycott nonsense does. It sets supporter against supporter.

We have all read Bobby for years. A committed supporter.
    and he gets this.
    Disgraceful.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:47 PM

I know who’s answering that

🙂

• Genjikai

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:48 PM

Posada
    It was at the open meeting when 300 people attended a magpie group meeting that asked for boycott arsenal.
    So the magpie group listened to the open group and acted on what they wanted at the open meeting.
    So youve been slamming the magpie group all day yet have done no research into it yourself.
    I even gave you a one click way to answer all your questions.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM

Posada

Bobby didn’t go to the match.

I dont know what’s got your knickers in a twist or why you’re pointing the finger at TMG

I cant see you pointing the finger at Ashley for driving those fans to give up their tickets and boycott.

If the milks sour we ain’t the type of pussys to drink it.

#BoycottAshley #ashleyout

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:51 PM

beermonkey

Very windy, apparently it blows fairly consistently in that part of the world, it would have been great if we’d had some sunshine but that’s England for you.

Jib

Wrong, that takes you into Lancing!

• Genjikai

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:52 PM

And because your still asking your questions and asking if anyone else has had an answer to your question shows me you havnt emailed.

• Reilly

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Cheers Nicky.Looks good.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Then it’s Shoreham! 😉

• lochinvar

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:55 PM

If the performance was such a good one we wouldn’t have lost in fact we might have kept a draw or even won.

• Genjikai

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:55 PM

Midlands mag class mate.
    Were you in the protest march?
    Which pub did you go to?

• Jib

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:55 PM

So I was right then

• beermonkey

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM

essex

very windy i would like to dispute the, its always windy bit but they are building a wind farm out that way so i cant

its an odd place to stay with brighton being so close

• posada

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM

Genjikai
    Aug 12, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    Posada
    I even gave you a one click way to answer all your questions.
    **********************************************
    Horlics.
    You’ve not answered any questions if you are part of the Magpie Group.
    I’ve questioned your actions and you don’t like it.
    You’ve no answers at all.
    How many are you. You had a meeting last week.
    Not well attended.
    You try to be reasonable, give out this idea that you are willing to listen.
    It does not take much for that front to drop.
    You then turn on folks who don’t agree with you.
    Like the 44,000 who still went on Sunday.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Reilly

I’m a SF fan and I just googled 1980s SF films and there’s loads of them, some obscure but a lot of mainstream ones as well. Blade Runner, Aliens, The Thing, Galaxina to name but a few.

• Genjikai

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:06 PM

Posada
    Have you emailed the group?

• MidlandsMag

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:06 PM

Genjikai

Yes, we walked from Sports Direct to the ground. We went to the Old George (recommended by some Sheffield based supporters on the train). We enjoyed the day although it was strange not going to the match.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:07 PM

beermonkey

It was because it was so close to Brighton we chose, parking in Brighton can be a bit of a nightmare but the buses are so good it was an easy choice especially with us having our bus passes. 🙂

• Genjikai

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:08 PM

Ill give you the official email of the magpie group again just incase you missed it.
    contact@magpiegroup.org
    Ask any question you want to them.
    Btw when i left before you were coming to the next open meeting. Whats changed in the last 6 hours or so.
    And btw ive called you out cause i know you havnt emailed.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM

Oh and we went into Worthing and as I walked past the SD store, I shouted ‘Ashlie out’ several times until my missus shushed me up.
    Didn’t get a lot of attention but it give me a frisson of satisfaction. 🙂

• Genjikai

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM

Midlands mag mass respect to you and the youngun.
    The magpie group were in spot whites.
    Im the one when the bloke who was on match of the day whos been a st holder for 27 years, im the lad that ran behind him and held the ashley out card. If you seen that bit?

• posada

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:12 PM

#BoycottAshley ( OP)

One more time.
    How many members do you have.
    How do you decide on policy.

If the milks sour we ain’t the type of pussys to drink it – really you’ve been drinking it for years.
    You’ve decided to stop and think everyone should follow.

Someone asks a hard question you turn on them.

I’ll tell you what you are. You are a group of perhaps just 10-20 individuals. Your opinion is no better than mine, Bobby or any of the 44,000 who still went.

• Genjikai

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:12 PM

Egb
    Fight the good fight, every little helps.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM

Micky Quinn just started following TMG on Instagram.

I wonder how he found out

• beermonkey

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:16 PM

essex

while in worthing did you go and eat in the piggery

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM

beermonkey

There was a couple of large onshore wind generators that I think are connected with the huge steel supply place and were going non stop all of the time, must have given them a big chunk of their electricity needs.
    And there is a big wind farm a few miles offshore.

• posada

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM

Genjikai
    How do you know I haven’t e mailed.
    Called me out.
    What the hell does that mean.
    Remember, when you stand up at one of those meetings you’ll get lots of cheers for saying bad things about Ashley. You’ll get lots of hearts on here. It’s a very narrow group you are interacting with.
    Then there is the real world. The 44,000 who still went.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM

Posada

You know as little about me as you do about TMG.

If you want something done, look in the mirror not for people to point the finger at.

• martoon

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:21 PM

Evening lads & lasses – I’m taking Blog Predictions 😀
    I’m keeping the categories the same as last year – to remind you they are:
    Final League Position
    Final No. of Points
    League Cup Round (2:Entry, 7:Final)
    FA Cup Round (3:Entry, 8:Final)
    Player of the Season (Blog)
    Top Goal Scorer (League & Cup)
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer

When doing your prediction could you please put martoon in the post – then I can find it easily.

So far I have predictions from:
    martoon
    Asi Fish
    Bills Son Is Back
    swemag
    giimps
    Paully
    Essex Geordie Bill

Apologies if I’ve missed you – just repost with my name in!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:22 PM

beermonkey
    No, we only went in cos there was a gale force wind blowing that day and ten pin bowling was an option, there was four of us and I came a creditable fourth.
    I was doing a Joselu with my efforts. 😉

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:23 PM

The system we are using can become very congested in the middle of the park if the players aren’t well drilled. You need the two strikers working closely together. The two advanced central mids are being asked to play in two central channels, behind but only slightly wider than the front two. Shelvey in one channel, centrally behind them, with the attacking fullbacks given the most space to operate. It’s really imperative the wingbacks get up the pitch and hug the touchline, so we can stretch the play, or it just becomes a mess of players in the middle of the park. The last 30 minutes against Arsenal was a bit of shambles, with Almiron, Ritchie and St-Max just running around, with little cohesive interplay. It’s early doors, but the final 30 was obviously poor, with players running out of legs, and others playing out of position, or unfamiliar with the system. Should get better, however it’s important we gain points, because if we don’t then heads will tend drop, and then we will be in trouble.

With only 4 mids in the group, and quite a few defenders and attackers, you’d think 343 would be better suited, and more familiar. I’ve actually never seen this 3322 system we are using before now. I can see how it might work, but the central players really do need to operate well in tight areas, and the wing backs are critical as attacking outlets, so I can see how it can easily break down.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:25 PM

Posada,
    Why are you acting like such a tit?