web analytics

Newcastle Youth Target May Now Make Move To Ligue 2

Newcastle were reportedly close to signing PSG defender Moussa Sissako this summer. Both Newcastle and Brighton had offers on the table for 18-year-old but neither deal could not be concluded.

We had hoped that Newcastle would return with a move for Sissako in January to add to the academy. Steve Bruce had said that there were funds set aside to add youth players but the club only ended up adding free agents.

After today’s very disappointing opener for the Under-23s, they need to refocus their efforts on adding young talent.

France Football is reporting that French Ligue 2 side Le Havre is going all out to bring Moussa Sissako in this summer.

If Newcastle really wanted Sissako and were lining up a winter move for the defender, they are now powerless to prevent him from moving to Le Havre. The French transfer window is open until September 2nd and PSG are said to be willing to sell Moussa Sissako for the right price.

The issue for Le Havre is what price that happens to be. They have thus far not spent any money in the transfer market instead relying on free transfers and loans. It depends on what fee PSG would expect for their academy product whether Le Havre can make the deal.

The Le Havre academy, incidentally, is where Newcastle plucked Charles N’Zogbia from in 2004. The ultimately ended up have to pay the club a £250k as compensation for N’Zogbia.

• Bruce

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:47 AM

People keeping on about why Bruce took shelvey off and brought on Willems, that’s a good question.

It’s a bit like Rafas decisions last season, but thats alright though because its Rafa.

• ScoopSouthAfrica

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:04 AM

Martoon.

Final League Position. 9
    Final No. of Points. 59
    League Cup Round 6th round
    FA Cup Round Semi
    Player of the Season Almiron
    Top Goal Scorer (League & Cup) Joeline Joeline Joline ala Dolly Partin….
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer 14

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:06 AM

jane@24
    what was Bruce’s thinking in bringing on Willems for Shelvey? serious question

Classic new manager poor thinking

Wanted to give the new boy a run out and please the fans rather than necessarily having a game plan and options before the match started ?

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:09 AM

Martoon.

Final League Position. 10
    Final No. of Points. 55
    League Cup Round: 6th round
    FA Cup Round: 5th Round
    Player of the Season: Lejeune
    Top Goal Scorer (League & Cup) JoeLinton
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer 13

• DubaiMicky

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:10 AM

• Reilly

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:13 AM

Rafa Benitez with a blogpost in Athletic. “I’ve been made aware of what Lee Charnley, Newcastle’s managing director, claimed in the club’s match programme last weekend and I think it’s important I address that.”

“I tried to do my best every day, even staying when we went down to the Championship and saying no to other offers — bigger offers than the one I recently accepted with Dalian Yifang, by the way.”

“Newcastle’s board had a year to sort out my contract but, when we met after the end of last season, they didn’t make me an offer I could accept. They told me they didn’t want to invest in the academy or the training ground.”

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:13 AM

Micky
    You get one free article you tight – fisted git

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:14 AM

Not sure how it was shown on TV, but from being at the game, the moment Willems went on, Bruce spoke to Hayden, and it seemed like he was telling him to pass on instructions as well. It didn’t take a couple of minutes to realise, Bruce and i think it was Agnew were immediately shouting at Willems to go out to the left. It took longer to happen in reality as we needed to wait for a break in play to switch over.

But regardless of the miscommunication, the bench was completely unbalanced, and that was Brice’s big big error, not the actual change and confusion.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:15 AM

First half we actually played reasonably well, and had the better of most of it. The changes left us without shape, balance and square pegs in round holes.

Goals, as we’ve all been saying all summer, are going to be a problem. Joelinton did well first half, but there were a couple of times where an out and out striker would have moved into areas, and made runs, which he doesn’t.

Almiron was largely ineffective, and for all his pace, Kolasnic matched him strde for stride and got the better of him more often than not. He needs to offer more than just his pace, and needs to use that more intelligently.

A lot of work to do, but a far cry from as bad as is being made out on here.

• Reilly

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:19 AM

Benitez also explained that all players and staff were paid a bonus after Newcastle finished 10th in the Premier League in their first season back in the top flight following relegation to the Championship – except his coaching team.

The former Liverpool boss says that felt like a punishment for him not putting pen to paper on fresh terms in the north east.
    He says he rejected more lucrative offers than the one he has now accepted in China during his time on Tyneside and was hopeful of a takeover and fresh investment at St James’ Park – but in the end had to make the right decision for his family, his staff and their families.

• martoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:20 AM

Also toonluvva – just spotted your post – I’ve recorded it but you also have missed out Player of the Season!

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:20 AM

Interesting that Rafa “addresses” Charnley’s comments
    in a US periodical , that launched in the UK earlier this month
    desperate to build up it’s readership , and not on his website.
    (They pay very well for contentious articles , it’s said)

• Moonraker15

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Charnley’s created a shit storm with his comments about Rafa!
    Should have kept his mouth shut as Rafa’s done them again!
    Nobody in doubt who’s telling porkies, as the club policy is well known.
    So Rafa joins KK, AS, Jonas and many more discrediting Ashley’s regime.

• theartfuldodger

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Rafa has responded to Charnley’s comments. Says a lot about the way of working at the club…and the gambling involved.

Norwich and Watford….if we dont get anything from those games, everything will boil over..

If we are relegated this season, its all too clear whose fault it is. No debates. No arguments. Failed policies being tried again.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:24 AM

Lilo did you watch the weekend’s fixtures ?
    A lot of teams looked lethargic
    No coincidence that the two liveliest teams were Man City
    and Lpool , who’d had the Charity Shield the weekend before.

The effect of a curtailed closed season I think

• Moonraker15

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:25 AM

Jib
    At least they print the truth! We all know the facts as we’ve seen it all before.
    Incidentally you’re anti Rafa; are you also anti KK for the same reason?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:26 AM

Equally as interesting that is your take jib. 😉

I guess we will just have to wait until Benitez officially denies everything he said in that explosively controversial interview eh?

• DubaiMicky

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:27 AM

I think this is it (Pulled from Spirit of the Toon on FB)

“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.”

I would like to start my first column for The Athletic with this quote from Confucius, the Chinese philosopher and politician.

People in Newcastle have been talking about my decision to move to China without knowing what happened behind the scenes during my three years at St James’ Park.

I haven’t wanted to say too much about that — I’ve encouraged supporters to get behind Steve Bruce and his new team — but I’ve been made aware of what Lee Charnley, Newcastle’s managing director, claimed in the club’s match programme last weekend and I think it’s important I address that.

Hopefully, it will be the last time I have to do so. In the future I want to write about football and nothing but football.

When I joined Newcastle in 2016, I did it with all my heart. I could feel the history and see the potential of the club and I wanted to be part of a project and to stay close to my family on Merseyside.

I tried to do my best every day, even staying when we went down to the Championship and saying no to other offers — bigger offers than the one I recently accepted with Dalian Yifang, by the way. If I was only interested in moving “for money”, as Charnley stated, I could have done it much earlier.

Over my long career, and especially in my time at Newcastle, I’ve always shown commitment to my club, its city and its community and I’ve done it with professionalism and honesty. I want to remember the good moments I spent in the north-east — and there were many of them — and not have to keep denying things about my time there or about my departure.

Newcastle’s board had a year to sort out my contract but, when we met after the end of last season, they didn’t make me a proper offer. They told me they didn’t want to invest in the academy or the training ground — if they like, I can explain the reason why Mike Ashley refused to do that. Their idea of a project was a policy of signing players under 24 and, in my opinion, the budget available was not enough to compete for the top 10.

After that meeting, I knew they would not come back with a serious offer and, when it arrived, 19 days later, it was for the same salary as three years earlier and with less control over signings. Charnley’s comments in the programme about having a deal agreed for Joelinton in February explains a lot that I couldn’t understand at that time.

After three years of unfulfilled promises, I didn’t trust them.

When we finished 10th in the Premier League in our first season back, all players and staff were paid a bonus — aside from my coaching team. That felt like a punishment for me not signing an extension.

So, by the end, I knew there would not be a proper offer and they knew I was not signing.

I couldn’t explain that in public because I was not allowed to talk to the press without their permission, so I was waiting until late June, like every fan, hoping there would be good news about Newcastle’s prospective takeover.

The time was passing and we were losing job opportunities in Europe. I couldn’t wait forever. I’m a family man and I have a responsibility to them, my staff, Paco, Antonio and Mikel, and their families, too. I don’t like to gamble with the future of my people.

In front of us we had three options: nothing serious from Newcastle, the hope of a possible takeover or a different project. Yes, it was a big offer in China — I have never denied that — but it was also another continent and another league, from a club giving us a lot of recognition and respect. That decision wasn’t easy, but it was clear.

So, here we are in the Chinese Super League with an ambitious club that has a big company in Wanda behind it….

• Moonraker15

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:27 AM

Theartfuldodger

Correct! The definition of insanity!

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:27 AM

Yes jib good question if you can field it. You were equally opposeed to another toon favourite that was constructively dismissed by a bunch of liars. Care to say why?

• hibbit

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:29 AM

I suspect Jib’s trying to push the clubs agenda with his comment @132, not the circulation issues the US periodical are experiencing,

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:33 AM

Wow. The big problem for Mike and Lee is that article has the ring of truth about it, while their story has the ring of nothing like it as usual.

Why on earth would anyone get behind these people or the setup nufc has become? They really need to go and so do all these cretins who are bullying protesters and ridiculing their principles.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:36 AM

“They told me they didn’t want to invest in the academy or the training ground — if they like, I can explain the reason why Mike Ashley refused to do that. Their idea of a project was a policy of signing players under 24 and, in my opinion, the budget available was not enough to compete for the top 10.”

All that “he went for thee money” and “Rafa first club last” rubbish! Wow there are some knuckle dragging incompetents on here aren’t there? What a shower. They can’t even see the blinding similarity with KK how bad is that????

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:36 AM

Cue Ed or Neil with an article on this I think.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:37 AM

#BoycottAshley ( OP)
    Aug 13, 2019 at 6:50 AM
    Online
    You abour?
    Where did you get the info about the tickets?
    ******************************************************

He made it up. Just like all that pathetic ITK crap he was spouting for weeks on end.

• Ron Knee

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:40 AM

So Jib prefers mendacious to “contentious”?

• Rob1971

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:41 AM

Martoon heres my take on the season:

Final League Position 16th
    Final No. of Points 39
    League Cup Round (2:Entry, 7:Final) 5th
    FA Cup Round (3:Entry, 8:Final) 4th
    Player of the Season (Blog) Almiron
    Top Goal Scorer (League & Cup) Jolinton
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer 13

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM

Tsunki
    You’ve got it !!!!!

I’m a paid shill by KBA!!!!!

not someone who has a different opinion to you

clever lad

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:44 AM

I know which version of events regarding Rafa and his coaching teams departure I believe and it isn’t Chanleys.
    Granted he’s been told by Ashley that there will be NO investment into the Academy or Training Ground as in his tiny mind there’s no sell on value or quick buck to be made from those sources.

Rather ignoring that in buisness there’s something called “opportunity cost”.

Does it not occur to Ashley that such an investment would reap rewards with player fitness, match training, player welfare and attracting top players to the club all of which could produce a return in higher league positions, success in cups, increased attendances, higher value sponsorship, more Sky money and increased revenues.
    The net gain would be substantially higher revenues and increase the value of the club.
    Progress then.

The fact is that Ashley recognises these facts and blatantly chooses to ignore them in a deliberate act of sabotage as to ambition and success.

If there was ever a more damming condemnation of Ashleys wilful neglect then Rafa’s just confirmed it.

Ashley is scuttling his own ship to stop someone else coming aboard.
    No wonder we have a mutiny.
    Time he walked the plank.

• NezzaNUFC

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:45 AM

Just read the article with Rafa.

Don’t worry though SJP will still be filled week on week out!

Raise your prices Mike cause these fools will buy into anything now.

Well done (middle finger emoji)

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM

I can only speak for where I sit.
    Two in my row gone after 25 years. Very sad.
    Most still there. One or two gaps. Most still the same faces.
    All great supporters. Not that vocal. Getting on a bit a lot of them. But, great supporters.

OLG – Your calling these people morons.
    Get a grip you are spouting a load of evil bitterness and they don’t deserve that.
    This is what boycotts do.
    Sets supporter against supporter.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:48 AM

OLG
    What have I done that’s pathetic.
    I’ve asked a few questions they don’t like.

• hibbit

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:48 AM

lochinvar
    I suspect Jib chooses to believe Charnleys version of events over Rafa’s !!!!

• Lindisfarne

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:49 AM

“” Few would argue that Mike Ashley has been a model benefactor of the club””

• Ron Knee

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:52 AM

Rafa: “I couldn’t explain that in public because I was not allowed to talk to the press without their permission…”

As we suspected.

• lochinvar

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:56 AM

Extract from the BBC regrading the Goals business.
    Rather ironic that forensic auditors BDO are revealing the workings of what allegedly might have happened with this company which is exactly what’s needed at NUFC to establish the facts.

The statement from the company, which is 19% owned by Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct, came as a report in the Sunday Times newspaper said the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) was also investigating.
    It said a report by forensic accountants at BDO alleged that Mr Gow emailed Mr Rogers asking him to “work your usual magic” to create fake invoices. Allegations are also made that Mr Gow deleted old emails to “purge” records and the pair were manipulating numbers to avoid VAT payments and breaching banking rules with its lender Bank of Scotland. After revealing the discovery of “improper behaviour” and “fictitious documents”, Goals said it would not be able to file its 2018 accounts by the 30 September deadline, meaning it will be delisted from the stock market and investors will be wiped out.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM

Online Guy
    Aug 13, 2019 at 12:21 AM

To all the people who went to the match yesterday , and I don’t give a damn what you say, your a bunch of weak easily led pathetic morons.
    ************************************
    What a totally wicked and disgusting thing to say.
    Those 44,000 who went are 90% of what is the club.
    Not the stands, not the players. Those supporters.
    If that’s what you think of them then how can you say you are a supporter of NUFC.

The truth is your not.
    Have you ever gone to games on a regular basis in the last twelve years.
    Well, if you did you were part of the problem, as we have known what Ashley is since Keegan walked out in 2008.

This is what boycotts do.

• martoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:58 AM

Moonraker15 – While you’re around I need a Player of the Season from you?

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:00 AM

There’s seems to be a prevailing notion that either Ashley or Benitez has to be the avaricious, ego-driven, duplicitous arsehole. I’d contend they both fit that mould perfectly.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:01 AM

Online Guy
    Aug 13, 2019 at 1:12 AM
    Wor Bill

I’m fuming at some of the posters that are obviously here to cause trouble and that’s their aim ..I will have a pop at those people . Its a serious issue when it comes to Ashley and they seem to be in favour of him ! not having it.
    ************************************************

Here to cause trouble.
    Are you for real.
    You’ve just called 42-44,000 supporters a bunch of morons.