web analytics

Ashley’s Bluff Called On Ill-Advised Offer – Will He Respond?

On July 26th, Mike Ashley gave a carefully crafted interview to the Daily Mail in which he finally spoke out about the departure of Rafa Benitez among other things. The timing of the interview was suspect as it came just hours after the Sports Direct annual results fiasco.

During that verbose and rambling monologue, Mike Ashley made the following statement:

“Some of the fans don’t even believe the accounts. ‘Where’s the money? You’ve got it somewhere.’

“But you can put any accountant on our books and it’s whiter than white. I’ve felt like challenging the fans on that sometimes.

“I’ll pay and you can have an independent auditor come in and review us. But will you please stop saying these things? I’m guilty of a lot, but not that.”

Well, the Magpie Group has taken Mike Ashley up on that offer with the following release.

While this will most likely be ignored by the the club, this is an example of how Mike Ashley is his own worst enemy. He needlessly has set into motion another controversy. His lack of a response to this will only feed the fires of distrust that are already beyond control.

Mike Ashley should respond to this request. He can either accept that he has set this in motion himself and comply or give a reasoned response as to why he cannot. A “no comment” is just not going to be sufficient on this.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM

@Zele

I am familiar with how FTSE works. Are you trying to imply that external factors never impact on an organisation’s share value?

I mean could find you countless real life examples when it has but you seem very stubborn so I will just let you think you have won this one over me.

Have a pleasant evening @Hibbit.

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Think Neil has better things to do – who cares how many alts people have, it’s more sad than anything else that people feel the need to create multiple profiles just to back up their own viewpoints – maybe they give themselves hearts so they can feel popular

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Just a Fan.
    Bad news.
    Sports Direct Shares went up 3.48% today.
    You can’t keep a good billionaire down.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:05 PM

It was a joke I didnt mean it.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Thanks Jib: although somebody else will probably look it up now 🙂

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:06 PM

@justafan

Well yeah, maybe I am foolish for thinking that bad publicity has had an impact on the shares, but saying that sometime DEFINITELY has not when there are empirical examples of similar situations in the past is mad.

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:09 PM

Graham Stewart ??

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:09 PM

That’s a guess by the way.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Jib what name are you not supposed to tell us?

• Mindshaft

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:13 PM

Belfast wins the Sherlock prize
    😛

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:14 PM

It’s about time we got to the bottom of The Cluster of Clowns.

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:16 PM

That’s why I’m captain of the blog quiz team.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Baloney JIB: PLEASE DO NOT GIVE OUT MY REAL NAME.
    who does this nutter think he’s kidding

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Belfast
    Can I join please ?

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:18 PM

It’s a very popular name Tony. So the chances of the blog stalkers pinning you down will be quite hard.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:19 PM

Funny that taking Ashley up on this “offer” was Billsson’s idea. Is Billson the secret head of TMG?

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:19 PM

Jib as long as you don’t bring your 3 laptops.

• Belfast

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:19 PM

It’s 50 quid in – PayPal me.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:21 PM

I note there’s been a concerted effort to play down and ridicule the boycott but the same posters are fretting that the same boycotts will cause us to drop leagues, go bankrupt and lose our ground. Wish they’d make their mind up. Although it’s getting hard now the real story about Rafa leaving has aired it’s difficult to play the Ashley was right about him card. Shame it had a tinge of plausibility for a while. 🙂

A few myths need to be dismantled for the simple folk who don’t get marketing – one myth is that all publicity is good. It may have been around only 8k less crowd bolstered by freebies but that was a very telling crowd indeed – one not lost to the media and TV. It’s a good start and the protesters should rather be buoyed by its promise. This match under hear circumstances should have been sold out no question. That was a damaging day for Mike and his associated partner brands. And he will know it could get worse. He’s not in a position to affect results for at least six months so everything is riding on his patsy coach to pull off a few performances that will keep the crowds coming. Big ask.

Another myth us that the crowd who DID attend are true die hard fans, yet they were curiously silent and packed interest. That’s because the 12th man was outside protesting. Those inside were the can’t be bothered to change social gatherers who don’t mind what’s on show. Sorry but the evidence was there on Sunday.

This is the crowd of fans that will get us relegated imo. This is the crowd who have the full backing of Mike and the expatriate whiners who realise fox sports won’t be televising them in the champo.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:23 PM

GS. Makes sense. The two angriest posters (apart from Bladey) are the same person.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:24 PM

All I am getting at is that I have been accused of having “alts” on here and I am saying I don’t.

Mainly by the Frog who was dropped onto this earth in a spaceship along with Joseph Smith.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:26 PM

Nufc 83

You laughingly accuse of rafa of not being honest despite all the relevant information to the contrary. That implies you think ashley and charnley are whiter than white.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:26 PM

Tsunki: thanks for talking down to every one of us “simple folk”. It’s what you do.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:27 PM

IDIOT

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM

Neil,
    While we are having yet anither witchhunt and OLG is getting you to check up double identies, can you check if OLG is Joe Sophistication? One more for the pile.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM

Rotonda heights

A great example of

2 + 2 = 5

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:30 PM

Baloney you one sick man.

• willowdalerez

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:30 PM

Any news on Carroll’s fitness… When’s he expected to be ready. If we can have him as an impact sub it will go a long way to ensuring we score some goals on the bottom half teams and he’d certainly be able to put one past Krul.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:31 PM

Actually: I don’t really care anymore if people know my real name. I thought I did, but I don’t. I just wanted to say I am not doing “alts”. If I was to say I disagreed with a boycott under the name of HeeBeeJeeBee why would that be any different?

I am also on another blog as Eric Sykes.

I came on here as Tony Baloney just to keep them separate in my own mind.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM

Belfast: that is not my real name. Jib knows it.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM

Anglo Saxon: How can anything I have said today be construed as sick?

• Bants

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM

In amongst all this disquiet we should be grateful for small mercies and take a moment to consider that Geordietom embarks on his long awaited cruise today. (I think)

Lets be thankful that due to his refusal to stump up the daily wifi fee we will be spared his nonsensical song lyrics and all round shite patter for at least a week. (hopefully 2) (or 3)

Bon voyage GT!

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM

baloney I’ve got this vision of you sitting there in your string vest string underpants covered in p*ss stains and skid marks, you been wearing them all week, go and take a shower you DIRTY OLD MAN. just a vision don’t get too upset.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM

Tsunki: the 300 12th men were outside protesting? 300 LOL. It was more the bad atmosphere that had been created by the likes of you and Genjikai that made people subdued. You even made Bobbybee stay away even though he said he never would.

Congratulations.

If we make it to the 3rd division to join the Mackems then I am sure you will be happy.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:43 PM

Bants and Anglo Saxon seem to think good footy blogging
    is commenting on other posters non-stop
    Social media has so much to answer for
    Sigh !!!

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:45 PM

No offense taken Anglo Saxon: now go and flip me a burger.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Jib And you talk about footy all the time NOT.