web analytics

Ashley’s Bluff Called On Ill-Advised Offer – Will He Respond?

On July 26th, Mike Ashley gave a carefully crafted interview to the Daily Mail in which he finally spoke out about the departure of Rafa Benitez among other things. The timing of the interview was suspect as it came just hours after the Sports Direct annual results fiasco.

During that verbose and rambling monologue, Mike Ashley made the following statement:

“Some of the fans don’t even believe the accounts. ‘Where’s the money? You’ve got it somewhere.’

“But you can put any accountant on our books and it’s whiter than white. I’ve felt like challenging the fans on that sometimes.

“I’ll pay and you can have an independent auditor come in and review us. But will you please stop saying these things? I’m guilty of a lot, but not that.”

Well, the Magpie Group has taken Mike Ashley up on that offer with the following release.

While this will most likely be ignored by the the club, this is an example of how Mike Ashley is his own worst enemy. He needlessly has set into motion another controversy. His lack of a response to this will only feed the fires of distrust that are already beyond control.

Mike Ashley should respond to this request. He can either accept that he has set this in motion himself and comply or give a reasoned response as to why he cannot. A “no comment” is just not going to be sufficient on this.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:47 PM

I am not totally sure of this but I think that Geordie Tom said he was a singer. Maybe a turn in the working mens’ clubs? He would know lyrics if he was.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:48 PM

2 of the Cluster of Clowns HIYA

• Bruce

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM

At the end of the day, Rafa sucks.

• Bants

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM

Jib

Just mixing it up a bit with a bit of banter.

Only so many ways to say Ashley is a tw@.

Or boycott – yes. Boycott – no.

• Moonraker15

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM

Dubai @ 28
    The letter I saw certainly had a signature on it! Not sure where I saw it probably newsnow!

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:51 PM

Rotonda you can suggest or imply all you want however if you think I support Ashley or Charnley in any way shape or form you will be off by a long way.

I said Rafa went to China for money not ambition which is clearly true (unless we all think he will form some sort of super Chinese team suddenly thrust into the champions league lol). I also said he was a very well paid manager considering the position the club is (battling relegation every season) and I am not sure we should have offered Rafa a greater wage than what Klopp is getting. Yes he was a fantastic manager at the club but did he do enough to get more than the managers at the very top of the game??? I am not sure myself to be honest.

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:51 PM

Baloney /Eric/ beardo / zeebee or whatever your name is – I don’t think 47500 read this blog and thought oh no – I better just sit and be quiet at the match because I don’t want to upset genjikai and co ….

Mate, you don’t agree with the protest and that’s your prerogative – don’t blame the subdued atmosphere on the blog posters , people in Newcastle whether they choose to go to game or not are pee’d off at Ashley – that’s just a fact
    Bruce needs to find some magic formula to get the team playing well and winning , something I hope he’ll start doing at Norwich – however one thing guaranteed is that we’ll be singing and shouting our lungs out in support of the team – oh no, I better tell the fans to be quiet in case they upset this blog ROFL 🙂

• Bants

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:52 PM

TB

Tom just cuts and pastes his lyrics shit from Google.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Ashley said Rafa asked for 9m, and it sounds like Ashleys only offered him 6m which is the same as he was on. To me that says we don’t appreciate the job you’ve done, or at least don’t think you’ve earned a rise now sling your hook. If they wanted to keep him they’d have offered 7m as a starter. If you know your boss doesn’t value the job your doing any man would leave. When they offered 6m they forced him to say no.

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM

Rafa also mentioned his staff got no bonus for finishing 10th whilst everyone else did , they refused to update the training ground or academy , wanted him to have less say in transfers etc – basically saying we’re happy with 10th , no need to improve anything

• Moonraker15

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM

Posada @43

I think you’ll find Ashley is no longer a billionaire based on his SD shares at £2.30 when they were £9.00 not long ago!

• Bruce

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:57 PM

So Ashley backed Bruce but not Rafa, hmmm.

Is it because Ashley trust Brucie Boy to get the job done, I think so.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:58 PM

Bobbee I hope your reading the blog mate, got apologise but these shenanigans go on all the time, me I’d rather sit and read enjoyed this afternoon good banter from you, if you can pick and choose when the idiots are not on the site would be good, I’m sure the guys enjoyed your input this afternoon cheers.

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:58 PM

No idea why Charley even came out with that Linton crap – he’s now put a lot of needless pressure on the poor guy

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:00 PM

Bobby bee talks sense , respected his decision to boycott and I respect his decision to go to the next game

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:00 PM

He’s not backed Bruce the money was there for Rafa if he would have stayed but it seems it would have been for players Rafa didn’t believe in. You would have thought Steve Nickson and Rafa would have been aligned on the players his team were scouting.

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:03 PM

6m a year is an amazing salary in my eyes for a club in the position of ours. If Rafa has us in Europe then yes can see why a pay raise to what the guys at the top of the game would be offered but I am not sure he deserved it. Still the best manager we could get but I don’t see him at the same level as Pep, Klopp or pochitino.

• Moonraker15

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM

Apparently Rafa rated Joelinton at half the price we paid. Rafa wanted Rondon obviously and AS-M isn’t Rafa’s Typical player is he?

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:07 PM

@Nufc-83

Cannot compare him to those managers though because they have such superior resources compared to what Rafa had at Newcastle.

• Moonraker15

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:09 PM

Bruce
    Wtf are you talking about. SB was rumoured to be 11th choice as coach; he certainly wasn’t number 1

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:09 PM

What chance of us getting Pep, Klopp or pochitino with the crap owner we got.

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:09 PM

Ye I agree with that but do you feel hand on heart Rafa is not only at the same level but also deserved to be receiving bigger salary managing us?

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:09 PM

@Moonraker15

Well, I have only seen one game of him (and I refuse to judge him after one game, lets see what he is like after a few months) but he didn’t look worth a pair of football boots on Sunday. Utterly bemused by people that thought he looked good.

However, it is one game and he needs to be judged after a couple of months.

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:10 PM

Anglo not sure you have understand if you think I was saying we could bring one of them to us lol.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:11 PM

@Nufc-83

With the excpetion of Pep, Rafa has a better CV than most managers in the Premier League.

He should never have came to Newcastle in the first place, it ruined his reputation.

• swemag

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:14 PM

Watching Leeds away at Salford. Feels like we got the wrong Championship manager, we should have gone for Bielsa. Leeds playing some nice football.

Impressed by young Leeds winder Jack Clarke, one to watch for the future.

Better organized than us and playing nice football along the ground.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM

Here’s an optimistic tally of where our goals will come from this year.
    Joelinton. 10
    Almiron. 5
    Maximin (sub) 5
    Longstaff 5
    Shelvey 2
    Muto 1
    Hayden 2
    Fullbacks, 3
    Centre backs 5
    That’s an optimistic 38

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM

Eric has difficulty with context.and reading. There are a few like that.

And suggesting I “make” an entire match day crowd go silent well that’s very flattering but I think you should ease up on the industrial refrigerant.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:16 PM

Nufc-83 A decent manager coming to this club with our set-up would be a kiss of death mate.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM

You – yes YOU 47,000 people over there! I can see you shuffling in! You’d better be quiet or else!

That’d work. 😀

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM

Biesla is one of the most under rated managers in the game. If we had got him I would care about Benitez. Bruce used to be one of the better championship managers in his hay day, but no longer.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:18 PM

Rafa and his team btw deserved much better.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:19 PM

I don’t know what our biggest mistake is. Employing Bruce or failing to get Jarrod Bowen who could add ten goals to the team.

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:19 PM

Tunski get in contact with the magpie group mate.
    You can make a difference man.
    Jail asked you, ill ask you get in contact if either my email or the magpie groups email.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:20 PM

How can you respect someone’s decision to boycott a game when he spent literally 1 million words on here saying he would NEVER boycott a game. Never, ever. It was his money. His choice. NUFC and his family were his everything. And he would NEVER not go. It is his life, why he moved back to the NE. He had been through the bad times of McKeag. Almost relegated to the 3rd division. Had seen the bad times and the good (Fatboy Slim). He would NEVER change his mind. NEVER.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:22 PM

Lol Celtic getting beat, can’t afford to concede another one as well.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:23 PM

@TheNextMikeWilliamson

Unproven at Premier League level. Yeah could be a hit, could equally be a flop.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Laughing at your own “jokes” Tsunki. Par for the course.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:25 PM

Patter is flat tonight so here is one for those that want to start a discussion.

Where would Celtic finish in the Premier League?

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Cockney so based on your response you feel Rafa was the 2nd best manager in the league?