web analytics

Ashley’s Bluff Called On Ill-Advised Offer – Will He Respond?

On July 26th, Mike Ashley gave a carefully crafted interview to the Daily Mail in which he finally spoke out about the departure of Rafa Benitez among other things. The timing of the interview was suspect as it came just hours after the Sports Direct annual results fiasco.

During that verbose and rambling monologue, Mike Ashley made the following statement:

“Some of the fans don’t even believe the accounts. ‘Where’s the money? You’ve got it somewhere.’

“But you can put any accountant on our books and it’s whiter than white. I’ve felt like challenging the fans on that sometimes.

“I’ll pay and you can have an independent auditor come in and review us. But will you please stop saying these things? I’m guilty of a lot, but not that.”

Well, the Magpie Group has taken Mike Ashley up on that offer with the following release.

While this will most likely be ignored by the the club, this is an example of how Mike Ashley is his own worst enemy. He needlessly has set into motion another controversy. His lack of a response to this will only feed the fires of distrust that are already beyond control.

Mike Ashley should respond to this request. He can either accept that he has set this in motion himself and comply or give a reasoned response as to why he cannot. A “no comment” is just not going to be sufficient on this.

• Nufc-83

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Celtic would struggle in my opinion certainly no better than Crystal Palace or us for that matter.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:29 PM

Neil

I don’t think you got all of the Almiron interview, you missed the bit where he said ‘No I didn’t dive, my leg was clipped and I was pushed from behind as well, why would I dive when I had a shooting chance. No one else heard the ref mutter to me tough shite pal, none of your lot will get any pens from us this season.’

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:31 PM

@Nufc-83

No I don’t actually. But I do think he is the second most proven. His CV of winning the champions league with a average Liverpool team and winning the La liga with Valencia over Real Madrid and Barca speaks volumes.

I think klopp and pochettino are great managers and they are a breath of fresh air in the modern day world of football management. But you cannot argue with the managerial record Rafa has.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM

Also I think Rafa has shot himself in the foot with some of the clubs he chose to take over. Us for a starter, but also taking on the posioned chalice of Real Madrid and Inter Milan right after Mourinho had completed such an over achievement with them.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:35 PM

@Nufc-83

Honestly I think they would go down. Them Sheff United, Norwich. Maybe Brighton, see how well they build on their impressive opening win.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:37 PM

Also some strange results in the champions League tonight. Porto getting beat 2-0 and last seasons impressive semi-finalists Ajax scraping through on away goals currently. The gap between Europe’s elite will continue to stretch I think.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:38 PM

Porto 3-0 down wow

• Just a fan

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Posada
    Don’t worry I’m quite laid back

• martoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Morning lads & lasses – I’m taking Blog Predictions 😀
    I’m keeping the categories the same as last year – to remind you they are:
    Final League Position
    Final No. of Points
    League Cup Round (2:Entry, 7:Final)
    FA Cup Round (3:Entry, 8:Final)
    Player of the Season (Blog)
    Top Goal Scorer (League & Cup)
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer

When doing your prediction could you please put martoon in the post – then I can find it easily.

So far I have predictions from:
    martoon
    cleveleysbob
    Mag52
    Munster Mag
    willowdalerez
    bill
    JohnJ

Apologies if I’ve missed you – just repost with my name in!

Also:
    Lascelles sells sea shells – you need a Final League Position
    toonluvva – you need a Player of the Season

• martoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:42 PM

*or should I say evening!

• captainmarvel

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:44 PM

Why is Ashley the owner of NUFC and why is he still here? In a nutshell.
    1. The brand.
    2. The advertising
    3. The fans.
    4. The Premiership

Ashley buys brands it’s one of his hobbies..
    He gets virtually free advertising.
    He knows the fans will turn up regardless..
    He needs the club in the Premiership.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:46 PM

MA
    Well that little wheeze worked out OK 4iiiis, nobody noticed the mannequin dummy’s, how many actual fans turned up.

4iiiis
    About 30K boss, but the 10K freebies you gave out helped to pad the numbers out.

MA
    Right but why didn’t you fill the other 5K seats you moron.

4iiiis
    Not enough Dummies boss

MA
    Hang on you said there was 30K of them.

4iiiis
    No that was real fans boss, I mean we ran out of mannequins and the Sunderland fans hate Brucie now so they refused to help us out.

MA
    OK could have been worse if all of the real empty seats could have been seen.

4iiiis
    So true boss.

MA
    Anyway what’s the story on the big demo at the Worthing store on Saturday.

4iiiis
    Oh that boss was some bald guy was shouting Ashlie out until his Missus gave him a clip across the lughole and hurried him along to the next charity shop.

MA
    A close call there for us, could have turned nasty.

4iiiis
    Yes boss might not sound a lot but every little pin prick hurts your cash flow.

MA
    Yes, baldy bastid!

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:48 PM

@Martoon

Final League Position – 14th
    Final No. of Points – 45
    League Cup Round – 5
    FA cup – 4
    Player of the Season – Almiron
    Top Goal Scorer – Joelinton
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer – 9

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM

Shame you’re judging the player of the season by what people on the blog think. Considering the majority of them thought Hayden was our best player on Sunday.

I never thought I would say this but, you not think it might be worth asking for a pundits opinion?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM

cleveleysbob

Sorry for late response, I’ve finished season 4 and about to start season 5.

Doesn’t Gotham run a bit like this blog at times! 🙂

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:51 PM

We moving on to TV show recommendations now?

Give Narcos a watch lads, very good.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:54 PM

Martoon

What’s Mrs Martoon’s prediction?

• toon kk

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:54 PM

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:54 PM

Egb
    Ashley could be here a while i hope you have made a log of all the mas and 4iiii series.
    This one is a classic.
    They got lucky at the worthing demo, i heard it was a sage and his crow foot the spell was nearly cast.
    Glad the missus pulled him away the crazy mushroom soup may have just kicked in.

• toon kk

FAC 4th round
    Dummett
    Joelinton

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:00 PM

Cockneymafia

Aye I recommend Daredevil, he’s a bit like Toon fans, always getting badly beaten up but but arising Phoenix like to continue their support of our great club despite the continuing travails.

• magscar

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:02 PM

OP

Thanks for response on earlier thread – I wasn’t meaning or expecting you Genk or Jail to police the blog ( others do that ) I was simply suggesting that where others are dishing out all sorts of stick about those who go to match that as TMG are not for that it would be helpful if those hammering others could have this ponted out by the very posters who represent the views of TMG on here. Again I have no issue with TMG views etc being broadcast on here just looking for a balance.

Anyway point made I’m away back into shadows to may be read on from your post – probably won’t make it as the evenings are worst I find and even struggle with the night shift these days 🙁

• Bruce

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:49 PM

Martoon

Final League Position – 14th
    Final No. of Points – 60
    League Cup Round – 5
    FA cup – 4
    Player of the Season – Almiron
    Top Goal Scorer – Joelinton
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer – 14
    Manager of the season – Steve Bruce (Of course)

• Big Archie

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:34 AM

No mate, Ashleys bluff was not called.

Instead some attention seeking nobody published an open letter on the internet, wanting to look big in front of his mates.

Ashley will never see this “letter”. If he wanted a result instead of just trying to impress the fans he would have sent it by courier, to Ashley’s office and got confirmation of receipt.