web analytics

Key Player Feels Very Comfortable In New Role And Believes The Goals Will Come

Miguel Almiron was excellent in the first thirty minutes or so of Newcastle’s home match against Arsenal. He threatened the opposition on a few occasions and had them on their heels with his dribbling and pace.

While his partnership with Joelinton is still in its infancy, they showed glimpses of what is to come from the pair. Both faded as the game went on, but they have the potential to become a thrilling duo this year.

Last season, Almiron was exclusively deployed on the left side of a front three. His impact was immediate and we saw that in his debut against Wolves when he was brought on for the final 18 minutes. His arrival also seemed to work wonders for the form of Ayoze Perez on the opposite flank.

This pre-season and in the opener against Arsenal we have seen Miguel playing centrally in the second striker role. He spoke to the Newcastle United homepage about this change of position and how he feels he is faring there:

“I think this position the manager is asking me to play now is a position I feel very, very comfortable in – I like playing there.

“Gradually we are trying to build up an understanding between Joe and myself – he’s a great player. I think that understanding will come on the field.

“Off the field, personally I’m feeling good as well in terms of how I’ve settled since I first got here, so hopefully that will help on the field.

“I think it’s really important, a player’s family life. When you feel comfortable, happy and relaxed and things are going well off the field, I think you feel the benefits of that on it. It helps you to perform at 100 per cent.

“I’m very happy in the city, with the people and how I’m treated by the fans, and hopefully that reflects on the field. I want to pay back all those kind thoughts and good wishes I receive all the time from the fans by performing.”

Interestingly, Almiron mentions a player’s family life in the passage above as Joelinton spoke about the same issues earlier.

It will be key for Miguel and Joelinton to get an understanding of each other in order to enhance both of their performances. With Miguel getting more comfortable at Newcastle, he will be able to help Joelinton also adapt to life in a new city.

They both will play a crucial role in Newcastle’s chances this season as they will be relied upon to get goals.

Miguel Almiron– playing against Arsenal on Sunday

That is one thing that is missing for Miguel so far at Newcastle – his first goal. He was asked about that and whether it is weighing on his mind:

“I’m quite relaxed about it. The main thing is that I’m performing well and providing opportunities for other players, and I’m bringing things to the side other than just goals.

“I’ve never been a massive goalscorer, but I’m confident that the goal will come. You don’t have to worry about these things too much and the goal will come. I feel good in myself, and the main thing is to help the team in every aspect.

“The fact that quality players have come in, attacking players, is a positive for the club and the team. It’s all about working hard, and as that understanding develops it can only be a good thing.”

Miguel is more of a playmaker than a goalscorer but he will need to chip in with some goals for this team to reach its potential. With the formation that Steve Bruce has implemented with only two players upfront, it is vital they become goal threats. While he doesn’t have to be prolific, Miguel will need to put the ball in the back of the net on occasion.

Next week against Norwich would be the perfect time for both Almiron and Joelinton to open their accounts. It has become an important fixture even if it is coming so early in the season. After Norwich, we are away to Tottenham, home against Watford, and then after the first international break, the lads travel to Anfield to take on Liverpool.

That is a tough stretch in the league which will be made a lot more palatable with three points on the board from Norwich.

This is what Miguel has said about the match coming up this weekend:

“I think it will act as an extra bit of motivation for them, the fact they will feel they have to play well in front of their own fans with it being the first game.

“But we’ve had a great pre-season, we’ve been working really hard, and we need to win to get what we deserve. They maybe have a bit of pressure to do well, but we put that on ourselves because we want to do well.

“But we’ve been working really well this week – that’s what we’ve been doing up to now – and I think we’ll be in a great position to turn that situation around come the weekend.

“I think we’ve just got to concentrate on ourselves and do what we know we can do, like every game – we always go into every game wanting to win. We go in with a positive attitude when we go out on the field.

“I don’t think the previous results will have too much of an interest – we know that every game is tough in this league.”

We are a bit apprehensive about this weeks matchup with Norwich. However, Bruce will hopefully have the lads well prepared to take all three points. Norwich play in a bit of a cavalier style as they showed on Friday against Liverpool. There should be plenty of chances for Miguel and Joelinton to get their first goals for Newcastle. They will also be up against two former Magpies in goalkeeper Tim Krul and defender Grant Hanley. So we hope Tim and Grant have their hands full on Saturday.

• TyneMouth

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:30 PM

The Boycott on Sunday was a predictable failure. Obviously the weather didn’t help, but even so, regardless of how many people gathered on Northumberland Street, and then marched to Strawberry Place, there was no press coverage!

The attendance was less than 10% below a full house, hardly a convincing protest.

Move outside of the local regional TV and newspaper coverage and none of the rest of the uk is aware, (or interested.) In what is happening at SJP. It’s simply a local, parochial issue!

A Boycott will not hurt Ashley. However, any damage to Sports Diarrhoea would really hit a nerve!

Forget attacking Ashley at SJP, turn the focus on away matches.

Nineteen games a season, two or three thousand supporters travel to football grounds around England, each of those grounds have a branch of Sports Diarrhoea in close proximity, how would they like 3000 new ‘customers’ on a matchplay!

( obviously no violence, criminality, damage or threatening behaviour!)

This would certainly attract press interest, and would hurt SD!….. Just a thought…

• TyneMouth

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Not first…

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:36 PM

My hat goes off to those that marched and made a statement against the owner.

But let’s make it clear, if you boycott the match to show empty seats then don’t give your seat to someone else, when I read this I was like, you have got to be fcuking kidding me, all those people that actually didn’t give away there seats got a huge slap in the face to those who did.

But seriously speaking, I have huge respect to those that try and do anything to make a statement against Ashley, but one question does come to mind, is it really hurting him?

Does it not just hurt the team that plays on the pitch, the players that want and need your support, deep down I know Toon Army fans want the club to win matches, you can say you don’t but I call bullshit.

So please go to the matches, cheer on the players, sing the songs that make St James, St James and then refuse to leave until your ready, that would make a bigger statement I feel, press coverage would be huge, you kill two birds with one stone, support the club you love and make a statement to the owner that the club belongs to the fans.

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:36 PM

Posada youve just described the magpie group in your own posts.
    We are working with rangers.
    Once other fan groups see that other will join.
    I personally have been in contact with chi and we are going to back her petitions for transparency in football.
    Everything you have said the magpie group represents.
    And has already laid down the hard work you want to happen.
    Maybe you think you think differently to the magpie group but you dont.
    You havnt even heard them out.
    How can you know any plans when you dont try to find anything out?

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:40 PM

@Tynemouth

A Newcastle boycott or any form of protest will always be a failure. We are the most overrated fans in the world and I challenge anybody on this site to try and change my mind.

• hibbit

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Re ost in case you missed it Bobbyhibbit

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:36 PM

not avoiding you bobby was on here all morning then off to a funeral, just got back now having a coffee and catching up,
    now whats rattled your cage ??????

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:42 PM

Posada
    You have been calling the magpie group out for 2 days then describe what you would do.
    Well we have already done all that and your about to see it come to fruition.
    See the future is bright.
    I described what you said at 10 35am this morning with a post on this blog. Your is pritty much a carbon copy of what ive said.

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:42 PM

Tynemouth – the boycott received a lot of coverage on Sky and apparently other networks abroad – all showed a lot of empty seats and gave the reason why they were empty – I’d call that getting the message out, certainly not a failure.

The boycotters are not creating a toxic atmosphere at games… they aren’t even there ffs – only the fans attending can create an atmosphere whether good or bad.

As somebody mentioned earlier (BobbyBee I think), it seems most fans on this blog never go to games anyway but are more than happy to tell fans that do what action to take…

Everyone can make their own minds up, we all have to work for our money and can choose to spend it how we want so just fck off with your self opiniated diatrade sitting in your armchair

• hibbit

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:43 PM

haven’t a clue what happened there but i’m sure you get my drift !!!!!!!!!!!

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:44 PM

@ Nostradamus ” Mike Ashley The Clown ”

Unbelievable how stupid people can be, I gave up my season ticket halfway through last season and I still have my mates try be funny saying that I can go to a game they don’t go to. The whole point I’m not going is cos I am sick of the football and the owner. I still love this football club and always will, but I have made a commitment to not step foot in that stadium again until I feel like we have it back from him.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:49 PM

@Mindshaft

If only our fans had anything in them to actually make their voice heard, even if they chose to go to the game.

The occasional clap when we score vs constant thunderous chants of Ashley out and classic Newcastle chants like how the away fans do it.

Unfortunately, home fans go because of routine, and their routine is to turn up every other weekend, not sing a word or show any sort of real passion then go back home in the evening in a bit of downer cos we were rubbish again. All for it to repeat again in a couple of weeks time.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:58 PM

DubaiMicky

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:48 PM

If this is the actual letter sent I’d have thrown it in the bin, look at the address for TMG, the spacing is horrendous, it looks worse than a 9 year olds.

I truly hope it’s not a true copy.

Well it looked a lot more professional than that HoT you and the dentist knocked up after a few pints and half a bottle of whisky you shyster!!!

• c-dog

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:01 PM

We don’t have the players to play the system Bruce wants. Shelvey burnt himself out and was always a few yards off his man. Almiron is a wide player.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Ooooh I love a cat fight
    I bet Jail has a much bigger handbag
    😀

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Posada
    Again you dont do either of them social medias but you use the internet clearly and can still access them through a web browser.
    And again you can email them.
    You say you dont agree with us yet dont know us as what you have described is what is already accomplished.
    I want to stress the nust is a charity and not a protest group.
    The nust is made up of all fans and magpie group followers come into that. 83 percent of the nusts members voted foe boycott out of the 83 percent 67 percent were season ticket holders.

• Toonboy_84

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:05 PM

I took a couple of videos of the march if anyone wants to see them?

Need a place to upload them mind

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:07 PM

@c-dog

Disagree, think Almiron will flourish in a central position, he has the attributes to be a quality central attacking play maker and if you add goals to his game then he would be perfect for the second striker position too.

Not to mention he is also easy our best player and we should be building the team around him, however, that could backfire in a few months time when he is sold off.

• Toonboy_84

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:07 PM

Not saying I agree, but stood in the smoking area at “Nine” and people were laughing at the boycott. It certainly is a minority right now. Hoping it grows and removes this parasite, but right now. That’s a million miles away. If even possible

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:08 PM

@Toonboy_84

Yes you should upload them to YouTube then copy the link over here.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:08 PM

Toonboy_84
    Got any vids of the booze cruise ?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Magscar

I’m not TMG or the blog police, it’s not down to me Jail or Genj to stop people calling others names, we can ask but we have no power over what a individual writes.

People know where TMG stand on the name calling of match going fans.

If I’m on here I generally will say if something is out of order, sometimes if your engaged in a debate you miss another you should speak up on.

I call a few on here, not for going to the ground though, in retaliation etc, not big or clever.

If there is another boycott I think Itll get a better result, lots I spoke to said they were going because others would be going. Now fans have seen others are willing to boycott they’ll follow suit.

I dont want people to boycott, why should they have too.

There is stuff going on in the background, Web site etc.

We could push them out early or a half done version but it wouldn’t get the message across in a professional manner. We dont have huge funds and this is a relatively small group giving up their spare time and cash for banners leaflets etc.

I’d love to tell you all and show you all the things we’re trying to accomplish but patience is the key, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

We want what all Nufc fans want Ashley out, that’s our sole aim.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:11 PM

@Toonboy_84

Probably the same hypocrites that said they were going to boycott 2 months ago then changed their minds when we signed a couple of players. Fickle idiots.

• bill

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:12 PM

Tynemouth,

Didn’t you see Match of the Day 2.

There was coverage of the demo.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:17 PM

Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Ooooh I love a cat fight
    I bet Jail has a much bigger handbag

JIB Bet they haven’t got spare pair of frilly Knickers like in your handbag

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Toonboy
    Do you use twitter?
    If you do you can dm them to either
    @genjikai1 or @magpiegroupNUFC
    Ill pic them up.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:24 PM

The calls for a boycott and the march, however unsuccessful it was, certainly does create a toxic atmosphere. It creates an atmosphere of foreboding. If there is talk all week on The Chronic and blogs of protests and boycotts it creates an atmosphere that would have to be overcome. The bullies, bores, boors and blowhards on here are yet another example. Creating a bad vibe, man. If you are not with them, you are against them and they will shout you down.

Confederacy of Dunces.

Good to see Bobbybee has returned to normal service. I don’t know what alien force took over his body for the past few weeks.

• toon22

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:27 PM

You think the PR will ever say anything other than the protest failed ?
    They will discourage any further protests

Will tell you the traitor is doing fine
    Jabba has spent every penny

Hiya KBA

• bettyswallocks

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM

Jib……… You stated earlier in a very cock sure condescending manner that Ki had been training all week and was very much up there as part of Bruce’s plans. No way would he have left him off the bench unless he was injured, which clearly must have been the case, you confidently boasted.
    When interviewed Bruce was asked why Ki wasn’t on the bench and was he injured. He replied that he wasn’t injured just not part of the plan.

• toon22

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM

Sit back and take it up the chufta for another 13 years is their solution

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:30 PM

@Tony Baloney

I am not quite sure what was the message you were trying to convey in that comment. I have nothing against the fans that go to the games and have always said they would go no matter the circumstances. Good on them for being “loyal” enough as long as it is for the right intentions.

As for those fans that were all up for boycotting Arsenal (Approxiamtely 30,000 signatures on Facebook) and then backed out. yous are spineless and fickle, and you will never change my mind on that view.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM

300 FFS.

• toon22

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM

As that’s their job

Help Jabba do what he wants by making sure the fans go along with it regardless of what it’s doing to our club

My favourite is blaming the protest on the shocking atmosphere, literally blaming the fans for what Jabbas done to us

• Toonboy_84

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Genjikai

I don’t use twitter but happy to email if that works? Otherwise it’s Facebook?

• Reilly

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:32 PM

Newcastle United are in talks with Sean Longstaff over a new contract, which could be worth as much as £80,000 a week.
    Brother Matty Longstaff is also in line for a new deal. [Times]

• toon22

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:32 PM

These people don’t care about our club
    They are payed to defend Jabbas actions

Regardless of what they are

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:32 PM

Tony

Could you repeat that, I couldn’t hear for your shouting.

• Online Guy

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM

Posada,, Carltoon

I take the word Moron back ..bit strong and emotions running high .

Apologies to those affected.

Moron; Mild intellectual disability .

I think what I was trying to convey was how can people be so easily led as to give a proven Liar and absolute manipulator of Supporters , people , and a region via their Football club Newcastle United their hard earned money .

He’s already got near £3 billion pounds in his personal bank account and owns us to further his company Sports Direct.

How can people be so gullible ..Hes lied and disrespected every ambitious manager we have had.

So perhaps the word gullible is more apt.

Pathetic.

Carltoon I heard the atmosphere was dire..thats what Ashley has reduced Newcastle United to

Was it worth it ?

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:34 PM

@Toon22

As already mentioned, any sort of protest will always be a failure because our fans are used to this culture. And we are nowhere near passionate enough about our football club to actually challenge Ashley.

There are so many examples form outside of England, where you can see how effective a fans protest has been. Protests in England are always a failure and always will be because of the culture.

• Toonboy_84

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:34 PM

Frog can I ask, did you attend the march?

• Toonboy_84

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM

Would that make it a frog march?

…… I’ll get my coat ha ha