web analytics

Key Player Feels Very Comfortable In New Role And Believes The Goals Will Come

Miguel Almiron was excellent in the first thirty minutes or so of Newcastle’s home match against Arsenal. He threatened the opposition on a few occasions and had them on their heels with his dribbling and pace.

While his partnership with Joelinton is still in its infancy, they showed glimpses of what is to come from the pair. Both faded as the game went on, but they have the potential to become a thrilling duo this year.

Last season, Almiron was exclusively deployed on the left side of a front three. His impact was immediate and we saw that in his debut against Wolves when he was brought on for the final 18 minutes. His arrival also seemed to work wonders for the form of Ayoze Perez on the opposite flank.

This pre-season and in the opener against Arsenal we have seen Miguel playing centrally in the second striker role. He spoke to the Newcastle United homepage about this change of position and how he feels he is faring there:

“I think this position the manager is asking me to play now is a position I feel very, very comfortable in – I like playing there.

“Gradually we are trying to build up an understanding between Joe and myself – he’s a great player. I think that understanding will come on the field.

“Off the field, personally I’m feeling good as well in terms of how I’ve settled since I first got here, so hopefully that will help on the field.

“I think it’s really important, a player’s family life. When you feel comfortable, happy and relaxed and things are going well off the field, I think you feel the benefits of that on it. It helps you to perform at 100 per cent.

“I’m very happy in the city, with the people and how I’m treated by the fans, and hopefully that reflects on the field. I want to pay back all those kind thoughts and good wishes I receive all the time from the fans by performing.”

Interestingly, Almiron mentions a player’s family life in the passage above as Joelinton spoke about the same issues earlier.

It will be key for Miguel and Joelinton to get an understanding of each other in order to enhance both of their performances. With Miguel getting more comfortable at Newcastle, he will be able to help Joelinton also adapt to life in a new city.

They both will play a crucial role in Newcastle’s chances this season as they will be relied upon to get goals.

Miguel Almiron– playing against Arsenal on Sunday

That is one thing that is missing for Miguel so far at Newcastle – his first goal. He was asked about that and whether it is weighing on his mind:

“I’m quite relaxed about it. The main thing is that I’m performing well and providing opportunities for other players, and I’m bringing things to the side other than just goals.

“I’ve never been a massive goalscorer, but I’m confident that the goal will come. You don’t have to worry about these things too much and the goal will come. I feel good in myself, and the main thing is to help the team in every aspect.

“The fact that quality players have come in, attacking players, is a positive for the club and the team. It’s all about working hard, and as that understanding develops it can only be a good thing.”

Miguel is more of a playmaker than a goalscorer but he will need to chip in with some goals for this team to reach its potential. With the formation that Steve Bruce has implemented with only two players upfront, it is vital they become goal threats. While he doesn’t have to be prolific, Miguel will need to put the ball in the back of the net on occasion.

Next week against Norwich would be the perfect time for both Almiron and Joelinton to open their accounts. It has become an important fixture even if it is coming so early in the season. After Norwich, we are away to Tottenham, home against Watford, and then after the first international break, the lads travel to Anfield to take on Liverpool.

That is a tough stretch in the league which will be made a lot more palatable with three points on the board from Norwich.

This is what Miguel has said about the match coming up this weekend:

“I think it will act as an extra bit of motivation for them, the fact they will feel they have to play well in front of their own fans with it being the first game.

“But we’ve had a great pre-season, we’ve been working really hard, and we need to win to get what we deserve. They maybe have a bit of pressure to do well, but we put that on ourselves because we want to do well.

“But we’ve been working really well this week – that’s what we’ve been doing up to now – and I think we’ll be in a great position to turn that situation around come the weekend.

“I think we’ve just got to concentrate on ourselves and do what we know we can do, like every game – we always go into every game wanting to win. We go in with a positive attitude when we go out on the field.

“I don’t think the previous results will have too much of an interest – we know that every game is tough in this league.”

We are a bit apprehensive about this weeks matchup with Norwich. However, Bruce will hopefully have the lads well prepared to take all three points. Norwich play in a bit of a cavalier style as they showed on Friday against Liverpool. There should be plenty of chances for Miguel and Joelinton to get their first goals for Newcastle. They will also be up against two former Magpies in goalkeeper Tim Krul and defender Grant Hanley. So we hope Tim and Grant have their hands full on Saturday.

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM

There is a facebook mate
    But aye
    Email either
    Genjikai.nufc@gmail.com and ill pass it on
    Or
    The official magpie group email
    contact@magpiegroup.org
    Cheers bud. Anymore videos anyone has send them in.
    There was a man who march from northumberland street all the way to sjp at the front. You held a camera all the way. If you are reading and have that footage email me.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM

@Online guy

I think the term moron is more than acceptable to describe some Newcastle fans or football fans in general.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:37 PM

Online Guy
    You say
    “He’s already got near £3 billion pounds in his personal bank account ”

Then go on to say
    “How can people be so gullible”

Indeed

• toon22

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:37 PM

Don’t protest, if you do it will fail
    Any further protest are pointless

You see that pattern ?

It’s exactly what they don’t want and have put slot of effort into knocking and discouraging them

• toon22

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:38 PM

JIB and his many alts

Hiya KBA

Once it all goes south this chrimbo who do you think he will pretend to sell us to ?
    It’s what he usually does isn’t it

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:39 PM

CockneyMafia, as I said my hats go off to anyone that try’s to hurt MA, the guy is a parasite at the club and totally in business.

For me looking at different angles to make statements is something worth viewing, I loved the empty seats but also hated the empty seats as Geordies we are and always will be passionate but not hearing the roar like a usual game at St James felt strange and having black and white blood going through there veins made it feel worse, remember from the very first game we watched, our hero’s from the past and the ones that came after.

This is truly a tough one for all, respect goes to everyone trying to get him out but I cannot hate the fans for loving the club and going to matches, this is a shit storm for all fans.

• toon22

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM

We haven’t had a fake Asian buyer yet , have we ?

Maybe that guy that owns Alibaba

• Toonboy_84

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:42 PM

Genjikai you have mail

• Toonboy_84

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:43 PM

Toon22 did you attend the march?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:43 PM

We’re all in this together and we’re all dammed if we do and dammed if we don’t

#BoycottAshley #ashleyout.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:46 PM

@Nostradamus ” Mike Ashley The Clown ”

Hit the nail on the head. Those fans who actually love the football club, I relate to them as what I feel for this football club is genuine love and has been for decades now. However, those fans that change their views on the club and the way it is ran every couple of weeks are fickle and spineless.

My mates are in that group and I have let them know what I think about their actions. But to all those fans that stand firm by their decisions and have the right intentions, I commend you. Lets hope we can all reach a common goal in the future.

• Zele

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:47 PM

I’m making the assumption (until told otherwise) that the ultimate objective of the boycott is too remove Ashley as the owner of the club with a secondary objective to punish him financially.

As Ashley is still the owner must therefore conclude that the boycott failed.

As the possible loss of a few hundred gate receipts would not make a dint in his earnings must therefore conclude that the boycott failed.

However, a single boycott, although getting limited exposure (primarily BBC), should be followed up by boycotts or demonstrations at every home and away game to maintain a momentum (like the students in Hong Kong).

In order to hurt Ashley financially and thereby the club then protesters have to identify the main source of the club’s revenues, namely Sky. Perhaps preventing the cameras televising the matches should be considered.

As it stands the weekends boycott gives encouragement to those who marched but if not followed up it will be seen as pointless.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:49 PM

Frog – Asian buyer?

Tubbs and Junior Tubbs have had some good “mileage” over the last couple of windows by use of the “Rich Arab” con. Embellish it with “Prince” and Geordie goes into overdrive – dreaming about a Man City mark2 on the horizon.
    Fooled again.

I think for their next scam they will deploy the rich Chinese industrialist scam. Geordie will again lap it up -pants creamed to boot.

Tubbs and Junior Tubbs must be laughing their c***s off,

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Mister Tuff

Fooled again.

Rafa believed it he reckons

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Genjikai
    Sorry, but I can’t find any of your previous posts that are similar to the plan I put forward.
    In particular this idea to stay away from his shops for a month or so. No matter if you did you did.

If you are doing all that great.
    I still won’t go along with boycotts.

The NUST never called for boycott. 80 odd percent said they were in favour then the majority of fans still go, so strange one that. always thought it would be though.

The Arsenal Boycott is over. Does a general boycott follow.
    Scrap the idea of boycott.
    Poor performance and the crazy running of the club will lead to more staying away if they choose.
    Also, the crap atmosphere.
    You don’t need to divide supporters.

• hibbit

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:57 PM

cockneymafiaout
    well said and i do agree with your sentiments,

but the name calling does no good in fact it only gets people backs up and makes them even more determined to do there own thing, its has to be a free choice a choice they want to make not because you or I think they should ,
    it took me a long time to make my mind up and believe me its not an easy decision, the one thing that really pissed me of was folk tell me not to go.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:57 PM

Theres been more potential buyers than most of is have been privy to.

Ashley doesn’t want to sell.

That’s why I started going to TMG meetings, to find out ways to hurt SD Flannels etc and eventually Ashley.

I don’t want to damage the club or its image, Ashley has done enough of that for the last 12 years.

I want him out by any legal way we can, getting to SD and getting shareholders etc on his case is a start.

It has to be a continuous assault on all of his other businesses until we’re no longer a attractive business for him.

He doesn’t want to sell no matter what you hear, we need to force him to sell.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:58 PM

WTF does it matter if Jib has alts Toon22? What matters is what him or Jane say. I am not convinced that Jane is Jib anymore. They always come on at the same time but they don’t write the same way. But it doesn’t fcking matter anyway, we should be judging by what they say even if Jib thinks it is a ruse to do a J. Edgar Hoover late at night.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:59 PM

@Zele

20,000 unsold tickets wouldn’t hurt Ashley that much financially for one game. 20,000 unsold tickets does however send a message.

My same mate who miraculously changed his opinion from boycotting Arsenal also tried to tell me that bad publicity is free advertising for Ashley. However, the gradual decline in shares for Sports Direct shows that he is of course talking nonsense.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:00 PM

And I am not Munster, Bills son or Posada. People can have different views to the Confederacy of Dunces without being “alts”.

• Zele

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:01 PM

BoycottAshley ( OP)

You don’t know Ashley doesn’t want to sell unless you have had a private conversation with him.

All the public utterances is that he wants to sell but at his price, which appears to be the stumbling block.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:04 PM

Mutually assured destruction.
    Brass off Ashley too much and it may pan out as Bobby eluded to earlier.
    He strips the club bare as Ellis Short did.
    Sells the shell to some awful consortium for 40M.
    Perhaps no better than the Venkys.

We are not all still going because we are fooled.
    It’s a catch 22 situation.
    Damned if you do and if you don’t.

• Zele

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:05 PM

cockneymafiaout,

Any gradual decline in shares for Sports Direct has no bearing on anything that happens at Newcastle United.

The market determines share values.

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:05 PM

Baloney – you keep saying the boycott was a failure and mentioning 300 – now you’re saying those same 300 will be able to bully 52000 into creating a toxic atmosphere … ROFL
    You’re clearly completely out of touch with feelings in Newcastle , reading this blog and the chronicle website does not reflect how most match going fan’s think or influence whether they will go to match or not
    Bizarrely you don’t go to games but are happy to tell fans who work hard for their money to get there asses to SJP regardless.
    I was in the bar with plenty boycotters and match going fans on Sunday – there was no bullying and all the talk was of the actual game and Bruce’s decisions – everybody got along just fine

• Online Guy

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Posada

97% of people on this blog want Ashley out , you come along and show him support ..are you for real ?

You do realise that most people see you as an agitator . What you doing here ?

You agitate and then scream like a girl when anyone questions you .

You know most here are anti Ashley yet you come here and give him support .

Ashley is a dishonest Liar..I can never give a dishonest Liar a penny of my money and I can’t understand anyone who supports dishonesty.

You Support Ashley it seems.

Any Ashley supporters should disappear immediately..you are here just to cause division and trouble

Go set up a website for Ashley supporters .

You are not wanted here .

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM

@hibbit

If your decision has always been that you want to go and you have stood by that. I commend you, you should be allowed to do as you wish.

However, if you were pro-boycott one month ago then changed your mind after we made a few signings, then you are fickle and have made yourself look an idiot.

Any other situation, if you said you were going to do something and then changed your mind and it made other people look foolish, then I would call you out for it.

I know for the amount of people I have seen on social media alone who have claimed that they are season ticket holders and boycotting the Arsenal game, that a massive percentage flat out lied (which is also spineless) or totally changed their decision (which is also spineless).

This is our football club we are talking about here, the fact that fans of this once great football club have such weak pathetic emotions towards it angers me now.

I am sorry but I can’t cover it up anymore as these are the same fans who claim to love the club. Well if you loved the club, then treat it with the same decision making process as you would a family member, you wouldn’t suddenly change your mind about something that was so close to you if you knew there was going to be consequences.

• Zele

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:09 PM

posada

Ashley will go when he sells for the price he wants.

A successful, well run and well supported club with little debt but with marketing possibilities will attract potential owners.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:09 PM

I think it’s the SD AGM next month
    You only need a couple of shares to
    be able to attend.
    A Fiver
    Ashley has become very agitated if questioned
    in the past at AGM’s.
    If orchestrated and choreographed properly (no aggression or foul language)
    his cage could really be rattled.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:09 PM

I don’t mind jibs Alts.
    It’s kind of a blog tradition.
    You put a wig on and blog as Jane.
    Like they say.
    Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Mr Baloney how about you lot the Cluster of Clowns Jib/baloney/bills /Munster.

The Cluster of Clowns

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:10 PM

@Zele

My point is that Mike Ashley’s business is now suffering, and my opinion is that it is largely down to the build up of negative publicity from Newcastle fans finally being filtered through.

He backed out form Rangers straight away when he saw how big of a backlash he was receiving. He knows he has Newcastle fans on strings like puppets so he can run this football club however he pleases.

• Online Guy

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:10 PM

Baloony

What you doing here ?

Your absurd and transparent as far as your love for agitating goes.

Your surplus to requirements and ruining the blog .

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM

Zele

Speak to some of the people at Nust and other Nufc Supporters groups, they’re quite often approached by potential buyers, usually to ask how they’d like to see the clubs future how certain things they’d want to change would be greeted by fans.

Many of them will tell you of numerous approaches from different groups, all of them have the money and want to buy but theres never a sale.

Before he insulted the Mansours, if memory serves he wanted £400m, why would he now value the club less. Its apparently been for sale for most of his ownership and various other clubs have been sold, why not us?

If Ashley was a willing seller the club would’ve sold several times over during his tenure.

He doesn’t want to sell

“I could be here forever”

He makes out like we’re nothing that anybody else would want, don’t believe his SHITE hes a proven liar in court and a leopard doesn’t change its spots.

#BoycottAshley #ashleyout

• hibbit

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM

OP
    i agree with Zele i think he would sell at his price was matched , his price wont just be the cash sum, the add on’s and all the attached string advertising/club shop/ concessions/ trade marks will all add to the problem of a sale moving forward,
    i don’t think the problem is what he wants to sell i think its more to do with what he wants to keep,

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM

Jib

You don’t even need a share, you just need to be a nominee of a share holder.

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM

Online Guy
    Everyone has the right to be here
    It’s not your place to decide who should post
    back off

• Jib

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM

OP even better

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:14 PM

I only mention 300 because Leonidas said thousands would be on the march and I said it would be less than 1,000. Seems I overestimated the boycott groups’ abilities to organize a p!ss up in brewery.

• Online Guy

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:14 PM

Baloony

I was thinking about asking Neil who you post under in your other guises ..Im sure you have a well known nom on here . Perhaps several.

Need to get forensics onto it maybe ..Jail, Tsunki, Lesh, Mister Tuff ? Get that dusting powder out.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:16 PM

Hibbit

You could be right but is he really selling the club if all you get is the bricks mortar and squad.

You’re only getting 75% of the clubs revenue stream and promoting another business through yours.

I wouldn’t call it a sale it’s a timeshare.