web analytics

Key Player Feels Very Comfortable In New Role And Believes The Goals Will Come

Miguel Almiron was excellent in the first thirty minutes or so of Newcastle’s home match against Arsenal. He threatened the opposition on a few occasions and had them on their heels with his dribbling and pace.

While his partnership with Joelinton is still in its infancy, they showed glimpses of what is to come from the pair. Both faded as the game went on, but they have the potential to become a thrilling duo this year.

Last season, Almiron was exclusively deployed on the left side of a front three. His impact was immediate and we saw that in his debut against Wolves when he was brought on for the final 18 minutes. His arrival also seemed to work wonders for the form of Ayoze Perez on the opposite flank.

This pre-season and in the opener against Arsenal we have seen Miguel playing centrally in the second striker role. He spoke to the Newcastle United homepage about this change of position and how he feels he is faring there:

“I think this position the manager is asking me to play now is a position I feel very, very comfortable in – I like playing there.

“Gradually we are trying to build up an understanding between Joe and myself – he’s a great player. I think that understanding will come on the field.

“Off the field, personally I’m feeling good as well in terms of how I’ve settled since I first got here, so hopefully that will help on the field.

“I think it’s really important, a player’s family life. When you feel comfortable, happy and relaxed and things are going well off the field, I think you feel the benefits of that on it. It helps you to perform at 100 per cent.

“I’m very happy in the city, with the people and how I’m treated by the fans, and hopefully that reflects on the field. I want to pay back all those kind thoughts and good wishes I receive all the time from the fans by performing.”

Interestingly, Almiron mentions a player’s family life in the passage above as Joelinton spoke about the same issues earlier.

It will be key for Miguel and Joelinton to get an understanding of each other in order to enhance both of their performances. With Miguel getting more comfortable at Newcastle, he will be able to help Joelinton also adapt to life in a new city.

They both will play a crucial role in Newcastle’s chances this season as they will be relied upon to get goals.

Miguel Almiron– playing against Arsenal on Sunday

That is one thing that is missing for Miguel so far at Newcastle – his first goal. He was asked about that and whether it is weighing on his mind:

“I’m quite relaxed about it. The main thing is that I’m performing well and providing opportunities for other players, and I’m bringing things to the side other than just goals.

“I’ve never been a massive goalscorer, but I’m confident that the goal will come. You don’t have to worry about these things too much and the goal will come. I feel good in myself, and the main thing is to help the team in every aspect.

“The fact that quality players have come in, attacking players, is a positive for the club and the team. It’s all about working hard, and as that understanding develops it can only be a good thing.”

Miguel is more of a playmaker than a goalscorer but he will need to chip in with some goals for this team to reach its potential. With the formation that Steve Bruce has implemented with only two players upfront, it is vital they become goal threats. While he doesn’t have to be prolific, Miguel will need to put the ball in the back of the net on occasion.

Next week against Norwich would be the perfect time for both Almiron and Joelinton to open their accounts. It has become an important fixture even if it is coming so early in the season. After Norwich, we are away to Tottenham, home against Watford, and then after the first international break, the lads travel to Anfield to take on Liverpool.

That is a tough stretch in the league which will be made a lot more palatable with three points on the board from Norwich.

This is what Miguel has said about the match coming up this weekend:

“I think it will act as an extra bit of motivation for them, the fact they will feel they have to play well in front of their own fans with it being the first game.

“But we’ve had a great pre-season, we’ve been working really hard, and we need to win to get what we deserve. They maybe have a bit of pressure to do well, but we put that on ourselves because we want to do well.

“But we’ve been working really well this week – that’s what we’ve been doing up to now – and I think we’ll be in a great position to turn that situation around come the weekend.

“I think we’ve just got to concentrate on ourselves and do what we know we can do, like every game – we always go into every game wanting to win. We go in with a positive attitude when we go out on the field.

“I don’t think the previous results will have too much of an interest – we know that every game is tough in this league.”

We are a bit apprehensive about this weeks matchup with Norwich. However, Bruce will hopefully have the lads well prepared to take all three points. Norwich play in a bit of a cavalier style as they showed on Friday against Liverpool. There should be plenty of chances for Miguel and Joelinton to get their first goals for Newcastle. They will also be up against two former Magpies in goalkeeper Tim Krul and defender Grant Hanley. So we hope Tim and Grant have their hands full on Saturday.

• Online Guy

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM

Jib

Your a Paragon of virtue .

You did make me chuckle as Jeff from bentwell came into my thoughts.

Shut it.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM

Online Guy: I think that Posada is saying what he thinks, from the heart, and not just distributing “ITK” BS that turns out to be totally false like you do.

• Bruce

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM

People nitpicking everything Bruce did on Sunday.

Yet they didn’t say anything about the Spanish, Chinese money grabber.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM

Snyde remark baloney cluster of clowns

• Zele

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:19 PM

BoycottAshley ( OP),

Forgive me for being sceptical but I somehow cannot see billionaires or their trusted representatives approaching people at Nust and other Nufc supporters groups.

I wonder whether this is the source of all the rumours about buyers like the last Arab lot.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:19 PM

Don’t bite the only way to get rid of them is to hound them out.
    Custer of Clowns out

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:20 PM

L

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:20 PM

Baloney , in your eyes the boycott was a complete failure so you don’t need to worry about a toxic atmosphere being created by a few hundred – so what’s your actual point ?

I presume the 47500 that went to the game were so intimidated they were scared to sing or offer any support to the team

• Online Guy

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM

Neil

How many names does Jib post under ..no need to name them just the number .

Also the well know trouble maker Tony Baloony ..who is he otherwise known as ? Is he Jib ?

Also if you can’t divulge then how may names does Tony Baloony post under .

And while I’m on Bills son is Back ..has he any more noms .

Just the numbers will do.

Thank you.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM

Online Guy
    Well your back are you.
    After your disgraceful comments of this morning.

I have never supported Mike Ashley. I’m taking issue with the boycott. I don’t agree with it.
    Screaming. I’ve had my say in a rather forthright manner at times. That’s it.

I correctly pointed out that you made some disgusting comments about the supporters who went on Sunday. I stand by that.
    What was it you said. The people who went are morons.
    That’s 85% of our support.
    What you here for if that’s how you feel about supporters.
    Those 85% are the club.

• Mindshaft

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM

FFS – I’ve somehow ended up engaging the blog idiot … I’ll be replying to Bruce next …FML

🙂

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM

Mindshaft don’t worry it’s a virus couple of aspirins should do it.

• Bruce

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM

Bruce to be our saviour this season.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Mindshaft: my point was that we needed support at the start of a new season and that all that was in the news and from “fan” groups was negative. The negativity has been promoted on here by Leonidas/Genjikai and others. They should not be the only voices, no matter how big of bullies they are.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:28 PM

I’m an agitator.
    Christ. You call all our supporters morons and I’m an agitator.
    You are ranting at one and all.
    It’s not my fault you disgraced yourself with those comments this morning.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM

And now Online Guy is saying any dissenting voice should not be heard. He of the false ITK claims.

• Munster Mag

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM

You can scream about protests all you want but boycotts will ruin st James’ and get us relegated fast. Mind you plenty on hefe dont seem to give a monkeys for that. Im really looking forward to becoming another Leeds.

• Zele

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM

cockneymafiaout,

Mike Ashley owns Newcastle United a private company which is not a quoted company.

Sports Direct is a quoted company whose share price (like all share prices) fluctuates based on many factors of which Newcastle United has no bearing.

Ask yourself, would a broker in The City recommend to his clients (which could be your pension provider) to buy or sell shares in millions of pounds because a few hundred people didn’t turn up to a football match ?

• WLtoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM

It might of been mentioned but Rafa has confirmed today what most fans thought about him leaving the club. he had no trust in the regime and rightly left. Would you work for someone you did,nt trust ? exactly.
    Ashley was proved in a court of law to be a lair. He will continue to try and lie his way round people to get his own way and his greed will dictate how he runs his life.
    Thanks Rafa for coming out and saying how it really is.
    I know who i believe, and its not the lying money grabbing twat that is Ashley.

• Munster Mag

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:33 PM

Olg asked me if I wud defecate on ashleys grave a few weeks ago. I defended him when people hammered him for his ITK stuff but that question was beyong bonkers. The blig is gone into lunacy territory

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:34 PM

Mindshaft: I post under only one name – Tony Baloney. I was on for a couple of days a few months ago under “GS” and mostly just gave Jib a hard time, which he put up with. I switched the user name because I gave out my real name on here and thought better of it.

Jib knows my real name now and posted it on here last week. That’s why I regret it and switched the user name.

I will probably regret this as Lesh will probably look into the archives.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:34 PM

Well must say the blog heads south when the Cluster of Clowns shows up.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Anybody that doesn’t agree with The Confederacy of Dunces are all the same person???

I don’t get it. Why can’t several people have differing opinions to the consensus on here? My guess is that the same old pretend alpha dogs have driven off any dissenting voices. You know who you are: JFA, Lesh, Tsunki, Abe Simpson, now Leonidas/Genjikai who had an expletive laden rant at me the other Saturday because I dared to question how many would turn up for the march of the 300.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:43 PM

baloney and you look for the sympathy vote are you being picked on oh dear.
    The Cluster of Clowns

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:48 PM

A Boycott will hurt Ashley financially only in a sense that it threatens to make the club less valuable. It hurts the club financially in terms of cash flow, not the owner. It may ultimately work, in that it may encourage him to sell, it may simply mean he won’t sell because the club will become worth less than he wants, he may try harder to run the club better, It’s hard to know where this is headed, but the loss of match day revenue means the club will have even less money to make its way, in reality, simply making it harder to stay up, as does the lack of support in the ground. I suppose that’s the pact that boycotters are actually making here, threaten the clubs EPL place in an attempt to leverage the owner out. I really don’t know how I feel about it. Ashley’s beyond hopeless, but relegation is such a disaster, as we have seen already twice now. Even if we bounce straight back, it takes a further two years to recover, and this time he’s better prepared financially to take the drop. So this is a very difficult time for the club and its fans, a terrible time.

• WLtoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:01 PM

A boycott of 4 or 5,000 is ,nt really noticeable on tv , and financially i doubt it would make much difference, especially if the majority have already bought their STs. However, a reduction or 20k in support would be a massive statement of intent by the fans.
    Again financially i doubt it would bother Ashley but a near half empty stadium will send a strong warning to him and his cronies.
    I do think Sky would make an issue of it also, something Ashley would hate.