web analytics

New Signing Reveals How He Is Adapting To Life At Newcastle

The Sun’s David Coverdale has done an interview with our new number 9 and record signing Joelinton.

The Brazilian forward will turn just twenty-three years of age tomorrow and already has the weighted expectations of being this club’s record signing on his shoulders.

He is still coming to grips with the language barrier. He also has revealed that his girlfriend and young daughter have yet to accompany him in Newcastle.

This is what Joelinton said in the Sun about learning the language and his hopes of soon bringing his girlfriend and daughter to Newcastle:

“I need to learn English to improve my communication with other players.

“I think it is really important to speak the language so you can express yourself better. I like to chat to everybody and listen to those around me.

“We’re looking at ways for them to come and join me here as it’s very important for me. I really miss them.

“It’s good to come on your own at first in order to find an apartment and focus on the club and get to know your team-mates.

“I’m a very relaxed guy and wherever I’ve been before, I have always looked to make friends quickly.

“But once I am more settled in the city, my family being here will help me a lot.”

We sometimes forget of the upheaval that new signings undergo when they uproot and move to a new club. Joelinton’s situation is no different as he has come to a new country while not knowing the language and being separated from his family.

Joelinton– showed promise on Sunday

Joelinton also spoke of the pressure of being this club’s new number 9 and record signing:

“Due to the price and being the club’s record buy, I knew there would be some pressure.

“But I hope to have a great season and score lots of goals. Maybe if I score many goals, there won’t be so many questions about the No9 shirt.

“It has such importance as it has been worn by so many legends.

“It’s normal for people to talk about it and make comparisons, adding to the pressure, but I’m relaxed about it.

“I’m not here to take over from anybody. I just hope to contribute to the club, its history and bring joy to the fans.”

We saw glimpses of what Joelinton will bring to the attack on Sunday. However, it will be goals that he is judged on. Steve Bruce will have to find out the best way to get Joelinton firing on all cylinders.

The club have gambled that they can get goals from Joelinton this season. In his career, he has averaged about 1 goal every 4 games. He will have to improve on that strike rate if Newcastle are going to have a chance this season.

However, he was often played in a deeper role at prior clubs so he will have to adapt to now leading the line. It will take some time but he has the ability and physicality to make that the adjustment.

• theartfuldodger

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:25 AM

So Rafa was offered the same pay of 6m by the club. Ofocurse he will ask for 9-10m…Is that not how we negotiate…specially with Ashley…If he wanted 7-8m he would have to start with 9-10m…?

Add to that the fact that no bonuses were paid as Rafa said…So its only fixed salary

• BenbulbenMag

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:26 AM

I guess Charnley and A$$ LIE think that we will continue to believe their Walter Mitty version of events. We have had 12 years of it and are truly sick to the back teeth of it.

We all know what needs to change – A$$ LIE out.

They’re foolish to get into a mud slinging match with Rafa, they are parasites with zero credibility.

Their transparent attempts to smear and reconstruct the history of our greatest manager since Sir Bobby is foolish, even for them.

• Goofy

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:31 AM

Martoon

Final League Position 15th
    Final No. of Points 48
    League Cup Round 3rd
    FA Cup Round 4th
    Player of the Season Hayden
    Top Goal Scorer 14
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer Joelinton

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:35 AM

My first years watching the toon was the keegan years.
    Not due to jumping on board but because i was a geordie born in this time period 91.
    Ive had great memories of the toon.
    Sadly there is a younger generation that has only ever experienced ashley.
    This is not on at all.
    Stand up for the future generations on toon fans.
    Make your voice heard against ashley. 300 proved you can make a point 50000 would just be magical. Would cement our point enough is enough.
    Do what you want,
    But i know what a group of like minded individuals are trying to achieve.
    Be part of something special. Bring change to football.
    Not the just the toon football.
    I can guarantee that other fan groups will join us from other clubs to unite against this.
    This is not blowing over for ashley.
    And with chi pushing for change in football, this is not blowing over in general.
    Enough is enough, time for change.
    Time for a better future.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Article @10 on previous post was written by Jonathan Wilson in the Guardians 10 things from the weekend.

I also had deep reservations at the opinion expressed, which was surprising as the writer is usually someone i enjoy reading.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Jibs trying to talk football to stop himself digging a further hole for himself.

Posada

None of the people on here shouting moron represent or even go to TMG public meetings, same as people calling boycotters names dont all go to the match.

I could pick out drunk and abusive fans but dont, we dont want to battle our brothers and sisters.

TMG asks all who follow them and go to protests etc to respect fellow fans, we all know how hard it is to give up something you love.

In the heat of the moment anyone can get carried away, it’s unfair to judge people when emotions are so high.

Dont judge the whole on the words of a few.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:43 AM

“It has such importance as it has been worn by so many legends”

I would like to hear what Joelinton knows about the clubs history and the source of that information. I wish him well and i hope he can rise above the pressure and internal politics at the club.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM

I’d like to add to Genjs comments.

Chi is a good sort, she cares about Nufc and Newcastle deeply.

If she was a man she’d get way more support than she does, people criticize her and say she’s using Nufc to gain support, not true.

She wants what’s best for Nufc Newcastle and all of us, she deserves our support.

Top lass and Toon fan.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM

#BoycottAshley ( OP)

Who knew you could be so sensible.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:52 AM

“And at Leicester, they bagged a good deal for Newcastle’s Ayoze Perez. The 26-year-old was sold for £13m less than his intrinsic value for the Foxes ”

No other mention of NUFC

• Rotonda heights

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Well I know who I believe. Ashley a man with serious and never ending previous including found guilty of lying in court, over the last 12 years and his complicit creep Charnley, or Rafa a man of dignity and integrity who ”got us and the city”. Not a difficult choice for even those operating at a lower cerebral capacity.

With the rewards of the ever increasing TV money why not give Rafa 12M a year to be guaranteed PL safety. Ashley just blew 150M on Debenhams!!

More than that though we now know, yeah like we didn’t before, that Ash will not invest in the academy or the infrastructure etc etc.

Agent Bruce is a clueless dinosaur and it’s hard to see how much lower down the list we could go. That’s how toxic and reviled Ashley is.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:01 AM

Gengikia/BoycottAshley(op)

Right so you don’t agree with these comments about morons.
    Would you have objected to OLG if I had not. Not sure about that.

Thing is you both come on here and you talk with knowledge about the Magpie Group.
    Would take it you are both part of it.
    Yet when I ask you anything you simply refer me to TPG e mail address.
    More than that you give out stick on the basis that I have not e mailed them.
    You start plausible then you attack folks that ask a few reasonable questions.

How many members do you have.
    Who decides policy and what authority do they have for that.
    Do you want to try again.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:07 AM

How successful was the boycott.
    Did folks stay away because a boycott was called.
    Or was it Rafa gone, same old starting again that caused many to simply reach their tipping point and not go.
    Weather, live on Sky, some still on holiday.
    Who knows. Draw your own conclusions.

What next. My guess. Bruce will quickly be struggling. The performances will get worse.
    The atmosphere will get worse. Possibly even toxic.
    That will cause more to reach their own personal enough is enough point, but the thing is it’s their personal choice.
    Or is it the boycott gaining ground.
    Don’t see how anyone can really know.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:09 AM

Posada

It’s perfectly valid. Why haven’t you emailed them instead of just sneering.

• barkel

Final No. of Points 37
    League Cup Round 4th Rnd
    FA Cup Round 4th Rnd
    Player of the Season Dubs
    Top Goal Scorer Muto
    No. of Goals for Top Goal Scorer 6

Martin as others have echoed thanks for doing this again.

• Shoulders knees

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:13 AM

Martoon ^
    Sorry shouldn’t use gloves when on phone

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Lads n lasses
    My match report from Sunday…
    Hayden
    My man of the match for the Toon by a mile
    Not much different to a Rafa team well organised First half we looked OK as good as Arsenal in a lacklustre display from both teams
    Second half lost the plot no midfield back to playing lost the plot slow slow sideways football which costs us the goal
    Supporting the toon is like Brexit
    Families and mates arguing falling out on boycotting – owner/leader more interested in themselves and their own agenda and it showed on the fans along with the rain leading to apathetic support of the club today- hardly a song or chant
    My merit marks
    Dubravka 6 had nothing to do/save but his distribution was shite
    Dummett 6 ok sold Williams short with pass but he should of came to the ball
    Lascalles 6 ok didn’t read the situation that led to the goal still passes sideways and backwards
    Schar 7 not his best display passing was all over the place – but tried to get forward
    Manquilla 6 defended well but wasted the ball whem in good situations
    Hayden 9 outstanding today hardly put a foot wrong – great recovering tackle second half – future captain ??!!
    Longstaffe 5 poor game same to be stifled by the presence of Shelvey
    Shelvey 5 good bad and ugly – won the ball gave it away good pass bad pass
    Ritchie 7 had a decent game seemed to be playing a more central midfield role – not sure if worked
    Almiron 8 exciting going forward but tends to waste the ball – no end product
    Joelinton 7 looked ok if not a bit weak lot to learn about the Premiership
    Subs
    Williams 3 overweight
    Maxi 4 exciting on the ball but ain’t got a clue where he is going
    Bruce 7 first half 1 second half couldn’t get my head around taking off Longstaffe who had a chance to shine when Shelvey went off and dropping Almiron into midfield
    Crowd Toon 3 pathetic one song chant beginning of game

Why I give such a low points total on Martoons predictor

I cannot see where we are going to score goals…
    Almiron – exciting but couldn’t hit a barn door no composure in front of goal
    Maxi – Like a Childs toy when you wind it up and release runs like a demented chicken with no end product
    Joelinton – promise but looks weak to me good hold up play but did not have a chance in front of goal and cannot play upfront on his own like what Rondon could
    Sadly will not get many as we have no creative midfield and no one near him to play off.

If Bruce plays the team like RAFA’s we might be safe – got enough
    But if plays like he did second half be lucky to get 5 points never mind 10
    Second half we had a shape of a square back four front two and two down each side with not one single person in the middle -= arsenal just ran through us a will

Not looking good

• BenbulbenMag

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Thanks Charlie

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:22 AM

No posada
    That is the official way to contact the magpie group.
    I keep going on about have you contacted them because i know you havnt yet you keep putting the group down without knowing anything about us or even making contact with us.
    Youve basically been having a go at a few posters on here for not answering questions, im not a teacher mate im a maint tech and newcastle fan.
    Being a maint tech i ask alot of questions every day but in my job no one else can help me so i have got to find solutions myself.
    Ive gave you a solution to your answer.
    Its you that is being awkward towards us not the other way round.
    You went to the game anyway so why are you so concerned? Like youve said there was 45k with you so why are you concerned?

• Lindisfarne

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:27 AM

All is right with the world again, now Charlie has submitted his report.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Rotonda heights
    Aug 13, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    Posada
    It’s perfectly valid. Why haven’t you emailed them instead of just sneering.
    ********************
    It’s my choice who I e mail.
    I’ll answer your question.
    I have one e mail address. It’s for friends and family.
    I don’t want more than one e mail address.
    I am reluctant to give them any of my personal data.
    I don’t want a load of e mails from ranters and ravers.

• Ron Knee

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:29 AM

Mike Ashley@MoneyMikeAshley

See the Under 23s did well.

Don’t know what Rafa was on about, wanting to improve the academy.

• carltoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Posada I’m a member of NUST also of the MPG. I support the protest but not the boycott. I was there on Sunday I did say I wouldn’t go for one game but changed my mind. I’m disgusted at OLG comments about fans being Moran’s. Please let fans make their own mind up. Disgusted at posting that photo saying it was Bobby.

• carltoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:31 AM

Morons.

• magscar

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Been away for a few days anyway didn’t see match or bother to watch highlights and have been catching up on views on here( mostly skipping as has become my habit in recent weeks.

Not right to call match going fans – especially from those who have made no sacrifice themselves. If TMG are serious about not being divisive then those on here from group should surely echo that and answer posters such as OLG, Rotonda, Paully if only on that point. Ignoring those who are doing so simply adds fuel to the toxic atmosphere on here.

I still support TMG intentions but do question why it has to be a boycott of matches and setting fans against fans. SD is the problem and the reason Ashley came and is still here and in my simplistic view that is where the anger and protest should be directed and maintained.

I also feel Posada can reasonably ask pertinent questions of those who not only attend and participate in the meetings but use BLog to promote and advertise the group. Not saying there is anything wrong in doing so and in fact read their information but for balance when a poster asks basic questions it should be possible to do better than to simply tell him/her to email Group.

My posting record on here shows that i do not feel the balance of posts reflect the actual match goers thoughts and I believe that it is important that if TMG want to further their protests on match days then trying to reach those going and not denigrating them is vital.

However until each person reaches their own “I’ve had enough” moment I am at a loss has to how that can be achieved for reasons I posted weeks ago.

This is likely to become a war of attrition (as TMG allude to ) and I for one do not want to see another relegation become part of the outcome this season. 2 relegations under him and immediate returns the following season show the stupidity in thinking that would rid us of him – it simply drains even more money away and puts us further behind other clubs we could be competing with.

Yes Ashley’s appointments do not suit us and it is possible even with a full ground we could go down but I would rather we fans did nothing to add to that likelihood and if possible ( I know many disagree) should try to get behind team and help avoid it.

The Blog is no longer a refuge when things aren’t going well ( and even if they are) and for me i just feel more depressed after last 2 months even though we are now into a new season ;-(

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Again posada
    Your making assumptions.
    Go look up there social media they have facebook, twitter,instagram.
    Soon to have a website.
    Email if you wish.
    Turn up to a open meeting if your dont want to do any of that.
    I just cant see why your having a go when you havnt made any effort to get in contact yourself.
    Like you say its up to every fan its there choice, usually to make a choice you do research into it.
    You clearly havnt done any research on our side yet look to blame us.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Genjikai

You keep saying you know I have not e mailed. Well, how. Are you able to access that information.
    If so you are well connected with the group.
    So, able to answer a few questions. You’ve got plenty to say about everything else.
    Anyway, no matter.
    I know enough about you. TMG that is.
    I don’t like your methods. I don’t like your rhetoric. I don’t like your attitude to folks who don’t agree with you or put reasonable questions. Not you personally, TMG.

• mactoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Well if you insist on playing him further forward than he is used to give him the support of another striker because as lively as Almiron was there was no connection between them.

• Shoulders knees

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM

Charlie

You summed it up perfectly for me.
    Almiron too lightweight
    Joelinton no pace
    Maxim frantic
    Willems overweight
    And we have put all our eggs in this basket?

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM

Carltoon
    Were you on the protest march?

• carltoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:43 AM

No I was meeting some

• carltoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM

No I was meeting someone but will still protest. I said I would donate money, or help in other ways have received Email from TMG.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM

Carltoon/Magstar
    Cheers for that comments noted.

• DubaiMicky

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:55 AM

I don’t know anyone in either NUST or TMG, however I’d have thought that if NUST wants to have a formal relationship with The Club, then having TMG being a member of NUST is not conducive to that aim.

Just sayin’ like.

• Genjikai

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:56 AM

Carltoon
    Im gutted i missed you that day outside sd.
    Next open meeting if you can make an attendance?
    Carltoon can i just ask how did you initially get in contact with the magpie group?
    Youve meet some?
    Whats your experience of us been like?

• lesh

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

Yup, supporting NUFC is akin to Brexit. Those supporting it either fully support Ashley and his use of the club as an SD-like reatio

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM

posada,

You are wasting your time trying to get any rational or reasonable response from the boycott and Ashley haters.

OP – posted this earlier – The morons are the people calling others names, how can any group expect to gain support by upsetting the people we want on our side.

This is a guy who has called me every bile name he can think of and has dissed anyone going to the match as having no balls and being a closet Ashley supporter.

The two faced posts of the likes of OP is typical of the boycotters responses to any type of question or criticism from the likes of us.

With them it’s always ‘heads we win, tails you lose’.

• carltoon

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:02 PM

When I was at the first protest I was talking with the lads who organised it they asked for my Email. But I did email them again when you gave it out and have received an Email back. Will try to get to a meeting.

• posada

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Dubai
    Agreed. The NUST must maintain contact with the club.
    You can’t do that if you are shouting for a boycott.
    The stance of the trust should be – we want Ashley to engage with the supporters.
    What happened to every last penny. Does it still apply etc.
    If he fails to as we would expect then you go to the press and anyone else who will listen and essentially embarrass him.

Protest groups and pressure groups.
    Different thing.
    But, they are just that a self appointed pressure group.

1 2 3 8