web analytics

Ex-England International Declares What Will Give Bruce Breathing Room At Newcastle

A lot has been made about how Steve Bruce will have Newcastle play in a more open and attacking style this season. We saw a bit of that this past weekend against Arsenal.

Newcastle did have some chances but failed to produce anything of real quality in the final third. The fact that Joelinton had a few chances was encouraging but realistically they will have to do a lot better going forward. We have faith that they will be able to do just that as the new signings and head coach have more time on the training ground together.

The style of play was decent but we are still uncertain if this is the best formation with this squad of players. Though, we do like some of the attacking options it brings.

However, it is really only results that will matter for this Newcastle team. While last weekend’s game at Arsenal was a half-decent first step, it was a missed opportunity at getting a much-needed result.

While we did play a perennial top-six club, it was a weakened Arsenal side that came to St James Park. But Newcastle were a match for much of the game until Arsenal’s quality was able to secure them three points.

Steve Bruce and Joelinton– Steve Bruce’s success will depend on Brazilian’s goals

Danny Mills in Football Insider has spoken about Steve Bruce and whether this style of play will help him win over some of the Newcastle fans.

This is what he had to say:

“Yeah, definitely. As a manager you get judged on results, signings and style of play.

“Signings will take a little bit of time, we won’t know about that for a while. Obviously results we know instantly, that happens on the first day.

“Style of play is a massive thing in this day and age and this new era of modern football.

“If they can have an attacking style of play, creating chances and the fans are happy with that, it perhaps gives you that little bit longer with the fans in that honeymoon period.”

We basically agree with Danny here as the style of play will help a bit. However as we saw this weekend with some of the criticism of Steve Bruce’s decisions during the game, it’s ultimately results that will matter.

While there is not too much we can gather from the initial performance, this Saturday’s match should provide a better bellwether for what to expect this season. However, it’s going to take a good run of games to see what this team really is.

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:38 PM

Mike Ashley: Look, I’ve warned you before. If you don’t have communicate with the fans then you’re gonna have to blow KBA off.

Lee Charnley: Oh, my God! That is so unfair! This is like, well, sexual harassment! The fans are well jealous of me because I look like a slim David Beckham. Everyone knows I want to spend but KBA, who everyone knows is a total lesbian, made Peter Beardsley stay behind after the young lads PE, started telling him off for gobbing on the other coaches. But everyone knows he only did it because he wanted them to go take a shower cos they like stink and he wanted to be alone with the young lads

Mike Ashley: Look, you need to tell them Rafa was a greedy get who only thought about himself

Lee Charnley: No, but yeah, but Rafa was well jealous, because I wouldn’t let him meet Blazin’ Squad and he was like, well I want a new player and I was like well, I already met Ronaldo and he doesn’t want to come because he told me round the back of the bike sheds!

Mike Ashey: Look Lee, I won’t tell you again, don’t forget to tell them we’re skint and we can’t afford the training ground and are thinking of training at the local PureGym on off-peak memberships.

Lee Charnley: No, but, yeah, but, no, but, Steve Bruce already has off peak membership so we can save on his membership fee, I know because I’m not wasting your time Mike because you know KBA? Well, he saw the whole thing, right, because she was bunking off work because he was gonna go down to wembley, but he stopped to grow a moustache as a disguise only he never because he’s been trying to grow a moustache but it just looks like pubes, so he just sat in the toilet all day on NUFCBlog slagging off the fans

Mike Ashley: Yes Lee, I told you both to do that, do you ever listen?

Lee Charnley: No, but yeah, but no, but yeah, but no because something what I don’t even know nothing about. Like Training facilities or commercial revenue or football like so shut up and don’t be giving me evils because I’m hanging with my man KBA and we’ve just been round the back of the telling the zero hours contract girl to write it and send it to Lee at that paper you hate.

Mike Ashley : Good work, don’t forget to send it to Daily Mail as well you moron

Lee Charnley: No but yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but, Oh my god that is so unfair! Everybody knows I gave the Daily Mirror it because I’m dyslexic and they both have mens names and I can’t tell which one gave me the finger because it was darl like and I told Jose Mourinho he could give me the finger too and he told me to get lost because he was well jealous of my glasses

• Madmag

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:39 PM

First 😉

and

Because there is hardly any football talk on here, just rehashing of history etc.

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:39 PM

Oh No! …. I’ve wasted my first on a random post instead of actually saying first

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:40 PM

I think Roberto Martinez was on the short list. Not sure if Big Fat Sam ever was.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:41 PM

Allardyce just likes to hear his own arrogant voice so I am not sure if you can believe he was contacted by NUFC or even sounded out.

• Jib

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:43 PM

Mindshaft

If that was an attempt at humour – stick to babbling shite
    You’re much better at that
    Easily Top 6

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:46 PM

Mindshaft: I am guessing that was your attempt at a Little Britain p!sstake but it is about the most unfunny thing I have ever read. You and Tsunki should get together.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:46 PM

Jib: you beat me to it.

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:48 PM

Jib – Did you waste your time reading it – that alone made it worth doing, shouldn’t you be in Spain fitting dodgy TV boxes

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:48 PM

and the other armchair fan joins in rofl

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:49 PM

Some people have a gift for comedy – Larry David

Some people somehow convince people they are funny when they are not – Stan Boardman.

Some people should have been strangled at birth after that attempt at comedy – Mindshaft.

• Moonraker15

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:50 PM

Jib
    From previous
    “She’s at Tesco”
    Good one! Mine’s at Aldi ! Lol

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:53 PM

Little Britain was OK the first time they did the jokes. But after doing the same joke 20 times it got like Mrs Slocombe talking about her p@ssy.

• Moonraker15

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:54 PM

It’s irrelevant who was on Charnley’s “short list”!
    What we do know is Bruce wasn’t no.1, not when they had to pay compensation!

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:54 PM

Baloney: after condoning people for going round Charnleys house you’re now saying I should be strangled – nice chap you are

• Moonraker15

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Mindshaft

I didn’t read all of your post as I got distracted, but I wouldn’t give up your day job mate! No disrespect!

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Mindshaft: I wasn’t condoning people for going to Charnley’s house, you used the wrong word there. Strangled at birth is a saying, it is not serious. A call to action to go to harass Charnley’s family is totally different.

• Moonraker15

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM

All in all Ashley’s empire isn’t looking too clever is it; SD shares down 11%, Debenhams money gone, HoF a lame duck, NUFC board. backtracking like a scared cat and business reputation shattered!
    Sell up Mikey, you know it makes sense!

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:04 PM

“strangled at birth” is not literal. It is a saying to express disapproval. A call to action to march on Charnley’s family is totally different. Do I have to explain it again? This is about the 3rd time people have conflated common phrases that I have used with a call to action to march on Charnley’s wife and kids.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:06 PM

It is also quite funny somebody like Moonraker saying something disrespectful to Mindshaft followed by “no disrespect”.

• lochinvar

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Clearly out of control, literally.
    Sports Direct’s annual report contains a wealth of information on the subject of auditors and perhaps explains why it is having a tough time finding a new accountancy firm.
    Here’s what it has to say about its own internal audit department:

“We have operated through the year without any formal internal audit function…we gain a significant amount of comfort from the operation of our retail support unit.

“We do, however, recognise as the group expands and grows we require an internal audit function to provide additional comfort on the operation of our internal controls and reporting regime.”

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:09 PM

You see, Mindshaft. I don’t really believe you should have been strangled at birth. It is a saying. What some on here have said like Leonidas is that they would like to organize a march to Charnley’s wife and kids. That is literal. What I said was not literal. DO YOU GET IT NOW?

• Moonraker15

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Baloney
    It’s ok for you as your for whatever reason supporting the doomed regime!
    Charnley is contributing to making thousands of hard working Toon supporter’s lives miserable and I’m sure in some cases causing depression!
    In his position he cannot expect his domestic life to go completely unaffected! He is in a position of huge responsibility and when you have that you have to act accordingly. If he was a team manager performing badly he would be sacked so he is lucky to have that job.

• Jib

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Seinfeld and the Larry Sanders Show
    now you’re talking !!!

• Online Guy

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Magscar, Posada

Despite me calling people who ignored people who ignored the boycott morons my real stance is I hate to see people having money extracted from their hard earned by a dishonest man, a Liar .

I could have used a better word ..later I thought of “gullible” but on reflection I then thought of fans having a blind sense of loyalty and Newcastle United are forever in their hearts and it’s a massive wrench for them staying away..so there’s some understanding for you .

Wrong choice of words by me for which I apologised.

Free tickets took care of a lot of empty seats , papered the house.

The club have pro active PA..why do they need it I ask ? Answer: because all they do is foist bad news on us every other week.

There’s never any good news is there ? It’s all subterfuge and dodging .

Deceit used to achieve ones Goal.

I can never give my support to a dishonest entity and a dishonest man.

People have suffered down at Shirebrook

Kevin Keegan told you all years ago ..hes right you know.

• toon22

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:13 PM

See the PR posting here

Hiya KBA

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM

If I say Tsunki is about as funny as a heart attack it doesn’t mean I want him to have a heart attack.

• Online Guy

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM

PR

• Moonraker15

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Baloney
    I wasn’t being disrespectful to mindshaft! Just stating a fact most of us agreed with, you included, so were you being disrespectful?

• toon22

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Same people with the same bollix
    Defending Jabba and his goons

It’s never Jabbas fault

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Jib: there was a 2 part HBO special on Garry Shandling after his death. If you haven’t seen it you should Jib it. Really interesting life. He even mentored Sacha Baron Cohen.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:18 PM

The most ironic quote ever!!! From Toon22:

“SAME PEOPLE WITH THE SAME BOLLIX”.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:21 PM

On the Rafa v Bruce debate.

Whilst it’s good to hear that Bruce is a good man manager and the players seem to like him unfortunately that isn’t what makes a good manager.

Football managers are judged on one thing only, their win rate, points total and league position.

I bet nearly every poster on here has worked for a manager who was popular with the staff but not the best at his job. And also, on the other hand, worked for someone who was a bit distant, not one of the lads, but someone who was respected, even if grudgingly, for being organised, efficient and getting the job done.

And there you have Rafa and Bruce in a nutshell.

By all accounts, even from his previous clubs, Rafa wasn’t one to craic on and have a laugh with the players, he could be authoritarian and distant… but he got the job done.

Bruce, with his more affable ‘one of the lads’ approach is the complete opposite but he won’t be judged on his popularity score with the players but on his, and their, results.

The same goes for style of play.

You can play all the exciting football you like but if you keep getting beat it doesn’t take long for fans, the board and the players to turn against you.

Bruce needs to absolutely understand that his his first priority is getting points, not winning any popularity stakes with the players or for an attacking style of play.

Whilst it was awful to watch at times, Rafa’s game plan was we start with a point and we’ll do everything we can to keep it.

That approach kept us in the Prem for two seasons.

If Bruce can do the same and play a better style of football he’ll have proved some of the doubters wrong.

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Genjikai One day mate, Charnley is a tricky little fella.

Let’s get one thing straight, the reason our team struggles early on in this damn league is due to the time it has always taken to get players, leaving the first two months of the league games as there blooding in.

The reason you took forever this year was to say things like, we have to give Steve time as the players are new, but if we had them back in June early July they could have played more together which of courses give players time to play the way it helps.

Nice job there, you may think you tricky little fcuker, but don’t think for one minute the fans don’t know your full of shite.

• lesh

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Balloney …

had the nerve to say that ‘Allardyce just likes to hear his own arrogant voice…’?

Now that is priceless coming from him!

Suggesting someone should’ve been ‘strangled at birth’ is much like saying ‘drowned at birth’ as folk used to do with unwanted animals. It begs the question why you’re still around, how you’ve managed to survive so long.

Didn’t you say you were watching cricket or something? Try it.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Well 3 of the cluster clowns on here today emails been flying

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:29 PM

Baloney see you were not on here overnight hard job cleaning your underpants eh hard to get tose p8ss stains and skid marks out.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Change them more often dont leave them on all week YOU DIRTY OLD MAN

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:51 PM

hibbit

Sorry but I think you are being a bit disingenuous over the single wheelie bin. I’ve seen pictures showing at least two and if you calculate a ratio of two players at a time in each bin (pack em in, similar to the Ashlie stack them high sell them cheap policy) then we should have at least six bins.

What I find puzzling is whether the club have their own state of the art ice making machine or do they buy job lots from the local Asda.

• Kevin Vegan

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:55 AM

“until Arsenal’s quality was able to secure them three points”

Not sure I’d choose to put it that way. We got sloppy and got punished, as happens in this league. There were some encouraging signs, but the first thing to address is not giving easy goals away.