web analytics

Rafa – Newcastle Players Deserve – And Will Get – Support From The Fans

The only man who is dangerous at Newcastle is owner Mike Ashley and maybe his sergeant-at-arms Lee Charnley, who keeps spouting forth on things like running a tight financial ship at Newcastle.

He mirrors what he’s told by Mike Ashley and never seems to think for himself.

Never have we heard Lee Charnley talk about what the team can do on the field – only that the finances have to be kept under tight control.

Mike Ashley’s biggest mistake at the club – and that’s saying something – was when he allowed Rafa to leave earlier this summer.

But it happened and while it was a complete shock to us and most fans – we have to move on with the new manager and the team.

We also need to somehow force Mike Ashley out of the club – and that’s easier said than done.

But we don’t want to impact how the team does on the field: especially when this could be a season where every point counts for our survival.

Rafa Benitez with Steve Bruce

But as Rafa has pointed out in his regular column in the Athletic  – that the fans must (and will) remain united behind the new manager and the players.

This is some of what Rafa said about Newcastle in his column in the Athletic:

“What can I say about them?”

“Before their first game, I wished the players, fans and Steve Bruce all the best and I meant it sincerely because they deserve it. Arsenal was their first match of the season and their first with a new manager, so we have to give them time.”

The signings we made to take us from the Championship have more experience in the Premier League now.”

“I think the combination of “our” young players, like Jamaal Lascelles, Isaac Hayden, DeAndre Yedlin and Javier Manquillo, the new squad members like Miguel Almiron and Sean Longstaff, together with the experience of Paul Dummett, Matt Ritchie, Martin Dubravka, Fabian Schar, Florian Lejeune, Federico Fernandez, Jonjo Shelvey, Ki Sung-Yeung, Ciaran Clark, Karl Darlow and Christian Atsu will be enough to stay up.” (note – Rafa signed 12 of those 17 players mentioned).

“The new players will have to make the difference if they want to finish better than 10th, but they will need — and they will have — support from the fans.”

“Even if they are not happy with how things have been done, because they know the club is bigger than anyone.”

“They have to be United; Newcastle United.”

So there you have it – one of the biggest strengths of Newcastle United are the fans and their undying support.

It has always been that way – and I remember well how my Dad went to all the away games during the 1950s – and it will always be that way.

Let’s not let the hatred of Mike Ashley get in the way of supporting the lads on the field.

The very last thing we want this season is yet another relegation.

The players need all the help they can get, and so does new manager Steve Bruce – who was an innocent bystander in all of this before he was appointed the manager.

He will give 100% as will all of our players.

If we can get the fans behind the team this season – while still trying to rid Newcastle of rogue owner Mike Ashley – we could even do quite well.

We’re hoping that will happen and who knows – when we do not hear anything about another acquisition – maybe Mike Ashley is busy selling the club.

We hope that happens – we pray that happens.

Howay The Lads!!

• Online Guy

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Magscar, Posada

Despite me calling people who ignored people who ignored the boycott morons my real stance is I hate to see people having money extracted from their hard earned by a dishonest man, a Liar .

I could have used a better word ..later I thought of “gullible” but on reflection I then thought of fans having a blind sense of loyalty and Newcastle United are forever in their hearts and it’s a massive wrench for them staying away..so there’s some understanding for you .

Wrong choice of words by me for which I apologised.

Free tickets took care of a lot of empty seats , papered the house.

The club have pro active PR, which when scrutinised and questioned always falls down, comes apart, why do they need it I ask ? Answer: because all they do is foist bad news on us every other week.

There’s never any good news is there ? It’s all subterfuge and dodging .

Deceit used to achieve ones Goal.

I can never give my support to a dishonest entity and a dishonest man.

People have suffered down at Shirebrook

Kevin Keegan told you all years ago ..hes right you know.

• toon22

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:16 PM

1st

• Jib

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:24 PM

toon22
    Ha ha ha
    Pilloch

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:24 PM

On the Rafa v Bruce debate.

Whilst it’s good to hear that Bruce is a good man manager and the players seem to like him unfortunately that isn’t what makes a good manager.

Football managers are judged on one thing only, their win rate, points total and league position.

I bet nearly every poster on here has worked for a manager who was popular with the staff but not the best at his job. And also, on the other hand, worked for someone who was a bit distant, not one of the lads, but someone who was respected, even if grudgingly, for being organised, efficient and getting the job done.

And there you have Rafa and Bruce in a nutshell.

By all accounts, even from his previous clubs, Rafa wasn’t one to craic on and have a laugh with the players, he could be authoritarian and distant… but he got the job done.

Bruce, with his more affable ‘one of the lads’ approach is the complete opposite but he won’t be judged on his popularity score with the players but on his, and their, results.

The same goes for style of play.

You can play all the exciting football you like but if you keep getting beat it doesn’t take long for fans, the board and the players to turn against you.

Bruce needs to absolutely understand that his his first priority is getting points, not winning any popularity stakes with the players or for an attacking style of play.

Whilst it was awful to watch at times, Rafa’s game plan was we start with a point and we’ll do everything we can to keep it.

That approach kept us in the Prem for two seasons.

If Bruce can do the same and play a better style of football he’ll have proved some of the doubters wrong.

If he doesn’t he’ll be replaced. Simple as.

• Online Guy

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Ashley blows a Million pounds , allegedly, in the casino one Friday night, meanwhile in downtown Shirebrook a young girl gives birth to her baby in the toilet in Sports Direct warehouse . Because of working conditions and rules set by Ashleys company she’s scared to take time off in case she looses her job and her family has to go without , starve .

Always gets me that one .

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM

So Bill’s son is back who has spent the summer slagging Rafa and his football now has to grudgingly accept that his not so pretty on the eye football got results. I think all those demanding tikka takka are going to start realising that very soon as well.

• BenbulbenMag

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM

To all the shills/wums/trolls/A$$ Lie apologists, the below are a few things that we will never forget.
    As supporters, we have crossed the Rubicon when it comes to our resolve in pursuing every means possible to rid ourselves of A$$ Lie :
    “The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.”
    Jonas Gutierrez on Mike Ashley:
    “Two things I learn from my illness, how you can support a player (the Newcastle fans) and how you leave a player alone (Mike Ashley).”
    Undercover reporters employed at the Derbyshire SPORTS DIRECT facility discovered thousands of workers were subjected to an extraordinary regime of searches and surveillance, while local primary schoolteachers told the Guardian pupils would remain in school while ill – and return home to empty houses – as parents working at the depot were too frightened to take time off work.
    Sports Direct branded a “scar on British business”
    Shearer on the way Newcastle is being run: “It looks complete and utter chaos and the lack of communication from the club is embarrassingly bad. But the only thing official we have heard from the club this summer is, ‘We are putting season ticket prices up five per cent’ and ‘This is our new home kit’.”
    Rafa Benitez on Newcastle’s communication policy: “I must say that I have had more meetings with the chairman, the president and the general manager this week than I had in three years at Newcastle.”
    Kevin Keegan on Mike Ashley’s governance of Newcastle United : “They have made a toy out of Newcastle,” Keegan argues.
    “As much as it pains me to say it, I have no desire to be associated with the place for as long as that continues.
    “I will gladly return when they have gone.

• Just a fan

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Jib re selling Benton
    I believe it’s on a 99 year lease.
    I may be wrong.

• Online Guy

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM

Bills son

Rafa, Bruce,

That’s exactly what I said on Sunday.

Captain Mannering has been replaced by Fred Karno.

• BenbulbenMag

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:33 PM

I’ll just pop that up every now and again to keep us focused on the real enemy.

We are all United in 2 things.

Supporting NUFC.
    Wanting Ashley gone.

• Online Guy

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Benbulbbenmag

Bloody well said at 7 .

• martoon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:35 PM

Bills Son @4 – Good post I think you’ve summed up quite nicely the difference between Bruce & Rafa!

• lesh

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Balloney …

had the nerve to say that ‘Allardyce just likes to hear his own arrogant voice…’?

Now that is priceless coming from him!

Suggesting someone should’ve been ‘strangled at birth’ is much like saying ‘drowned at birth’ as folk used to do with unwanted animals. It begs the question why you’re still around, how you’ve managed to survive so long?

Didn’t you say you were watching cricket or something? Try it.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Jail,

Keep taking the tablets.

One day they’ll work and you’ll get over your rabid obsession with me.

As for style of play….

I don’t watch NUFC to be entertained, if I want entertaining I read Jail and OP’s post among others.

I watch and support NUFC for one reason only, to see us WIN.

I’d have given up all the entertaining football of the Keegan years to see us win a trophy under Allardyce, McClaren, Carver or even Kinnear.

If we can get exciting football AND win a trophy, great.

But I am sick to the back teeth of winning nowt for the past 50 years however we play.

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Jeez – I mistakenly engaged Baloney, will I never learn

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:42 PM

bills and you come across as still supporting the regime.

• Jib

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:43 PM

BenbulbenMag
    I’ll just pop that up every now and again to keep us focused on the real enemy.

Gee thanks

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Mindshaft keep well away mate rumour has it he changes his underpants once a week.

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:44 PM

Got to love Jibs reasoned response to comments that question Ashley or Charnleys statements….

Usually involves just slagging someone off …hilarious.

Whatever your view on boycotts or people going to games “They have to be United; Newcastle United.” Rafas words ring true

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:44 PM

Jib who do you say is the real enemy.

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Anyone else on here going to Norwich game this weekend?

• Jib

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Second Ashes test at Lords
    Play will start at 14.30

• toon22

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Bills is just another alt of JIBs
    Same as Munster who was posting to himself the other day

Its all PR

Mike Ashley and Newcastle: The punditry silence is deafening

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Bill’s son is back,
    If you’re going to post on here expect a reply, nothing obsessive about it at all, you’ve been slating the guy’s lack of possession football since he left, and now you leave a post saying it got results which is after all what he was paid to do. If Steve Bruce can master attacking football while getting a decent amount of points for the first time in his PL career then I’m sure he’ll be jumping ship and joining Bournemouth or the like at the first available opportunity.

• toon22

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Hiya JIB

How many of your alts work for KBA to ?

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Jib – errr its 14:45 here in U.K already – rain has delayed play

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Hibbit,
    Then it seems I assumed exactly right. You say I was wrong that I said Posada lost his temper with fans who don’t go to the match calling him sheep, studip and Ashley supporter. You said what actually angered him was online guy (a fan who doesn’t attend regularly) calling fans who did attend morons. Is that not exactly what I said? Or are you huffed I used the word stupid instead of moron and didn’t specifically mention olg, even though he was complaining before that comment.

• Jib

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM

AS
    We all know it’s Ashley
    I just wish someone would say something new

• Tony Baloney

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:49 PM

I cannot fathom Ashley. He does things that seem to go against his own interests. He seems like he has a plan and then reverses it. I do not want us to be relegated though and Ashley also seems like when you are in the aisle seat on a plane and you are nodding off and just before you topple, your body self corrects and you jolt back upright.

He is not Ellis Short who sold the club to a couple of Chancers so he could get the final parachute payment.

That is not defending Ashley FROG. An explanation and a defense are 2 different things.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:51 PM

All of a sudden silence seems the cluster of clowns has gone into mute mode.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:52 PM

Ronaldo,
    I think the three choices were Allardyce, Martinez then Bruce. I imagine the other options were Hughes, Moyes, Ranieri, Pulis, Flores, and maybe even Harry Redknapp.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:52 PM

Oh spoke too soon here comes the dirty old man.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Can anyone agreeing with Churnley and saying that Rafa just left for the money explain why Pardew left the safest job in world football?

• Reilly

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Sports Direct has now asked the UK government what its options are as it faces breaking stock market rules if it cannot appoint an official auditor at its annual general meeting.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:54 PM

If Toon22 can’t think of anything to say he will just call someone an “alt”. Actually, that and Hiya KBA is just about all he has to say.

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:55 PM

So Jib when somebody has a go at the regime why come back with Vitriol.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:55 PM

Ronaldo,
    I don’t know this as any type of ITK but I would bet 10K if I could get a truthful answer that Moyes was definitely approached and he said foot that for a game of soldiers.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:56 PM

Jib,
    You claim Ashley blew the whistle on goals, do you think he blew the whistle to the Belgians as well.

• Mindshaft

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:57 PM

I was out last night with a couple of mates and got talking to a West Ham fan, first thing he said when he found out I was a toon fan was “at least we aren’t as bad as you lot – that Ashley hates you guys”..

I hadn’t even said a word – even when I reminded him we were currently above them he laughed and said “yeah but you lot will definitely be relegated this season with Bruce and Ashley” … sadly the Spurs fans I was out with agreed

• hibbit

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:58 PM

The next Mike Williamson you still haven’t got it.

Posada lost his temper with one fan about one word and it snowballed out of control, but you want to keep regurgitating it, let it go.