web analytics

Bruce Gives Brutal Assessment Of Performance Ahead Of Tottenham

Recently Isaac Hayden and Matt Ritchie have come out and been critical of the performance at Norwich on Saturday. They both, however, have tried to look at the positives moving forward.

Isaac has concentrated on Newcastle’s past experience with difficult starts as being reason enough to believe the club can get out of the current situation.

Matt Ritchie has tried to put emphasis on the fact that it is still very early in the season and that things will turn around in due time.

Steve Bruce has also tried to look forward to getting the team ready for the next match at Tottenham. Though he has expressed his big disappointment with the performance of the players.

The Daily Mail has published some more comments by Bruce about the performance on Saturday. These ones maintain a much harsher tone than the previous ones from Bruce:

“I can’t go onto the pitch with them. But the one thing in management I’ve always tried to instill into my team is yes, we make mistakes, but I can’t forgive a performance where basically you don’t put your boots on.

“Unfortunately, it’s happened already, which is the second game in, but I’ll do all I can to make sure that changes.

“We’ve got to do the basics better.

“Whatever level you’re at, the first thing you have to do is do more than the opposition. I didn’t think we did that.’

These are brutal but accurate statements from the head coach. And it is now up to him to make sure setbacks like last Saturday’s don’t happen again.

This team can ill afford another dreadful performance at Tottenham. We aren’t expecting the team to go to Spurs and win, however, we are expecting to see progress under Steve Bruce. That must happen on Sunday.

• IrishRob

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:38 PM

First!!

• IrishRob

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:38 PM

Oof counts gonna be MAAADD!

• c-dog

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:39 PM

Desperate when we’re looking at the likes of Gayle, Manquillo and Carrol to help turn our season around already

• Genjikai

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:43 PM

Irishrob
    Apparently ashley likes being “one of the lads”.
    He goes to his favourite pub and first thing hell say is. “Go on then ill get the round” when nee ones even said out.
    When the players went on strike last year over bonus.
    Lascelles went to see charnley and was told.
    “Be nice to mike”
    Well the players wernt happy, so he went back to see charnley.
    He was told “your a millionaire your boss is a billionaire, be good to him and hell be good to you”
    Then pizza gate happens. The lads take him out, invite him to the training ground.
    Everything good in the NUFC world. Nothing to see here the owner isnt shafting an entire region.

• barkel

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Desperate when we’re two games in and need to find someone to “turn our season around” already

• Genjikai

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:45 PM

Cdog
    That has me more concerned about relegation then 5k fans not turning up.
    Or the lack of atmosphere at sjp.
    Or protesting against ashley.
    Or wor flags not being there.
    If proper footballing decsions where made there would be non of this unrest.

• Genjikai

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:47 PM

Barkel
    Desperate when norwich second game in is seen as a 6 pointer from all fans.
    A 6 pointer we lost.
    Too much pressure already and the season has just began.

• Moonraker15

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:49 PM

Bruce hasn’t given any assessment of what went wrong on Saturday! All he has said is “We weren’t good enough with or without the ball”!
    That means nothing as far as I’m concerned but we are in such a state at all levels and without the calming know-how or Rafa, I fear we are doomed to relegation!
    Ashley has done it again; we were in good shape to kick on with the right signings. If we’d got Rafa to stay, kept Rondon and bought Joelinton as a back up to be brought on gradually we would be comfortable.
    We have good defenders, good midfielders but no goal scorers and you can’t win matches under those circumstances !
    Ashley is now an embarrassment to the club and I pray something happens and he sells us!

• Mindshaft

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:54 PM

Genji: So rather than protesting we just need to be nice to Mike and he’ll fix everything …best change the #BoycottAshley tag to #AshleyIsOurHero 🙂

• griff

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:55 PM

The game by game situation is less important. The club has been dying a death by a thousand cuts. Do not look to next week. Look for a new beginning.

• Genjikai

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:57 PM

Mindshaft
    Its never ashleys fault.
    Maybe toon22 has been sucking up to him all along.
    Its also what the nust do, and he wont even talk to them.
    Seems to work doesnt it?

• Oldgit1

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:07 PM

There is an article in the telegraph by Luke Edwards, not my favourite journalist, but some biting comments.

Jib mate I would be grateful if you can link it to this site.

Things like fans wanting Bruce to fail so they can say, I told you so.

Comparing our situation with Brian Clough short stay at Leeds.

Some good points which could cause our downfall, putting the blame on the fans.

• Rob1971

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:07 PM

You can tell Luke Edwards is good friends with Steve Bruce, his latest article is basically detracting how he has started awfully with us and blaming fans who never wanted him here, he is coming across like the Rafa haters on here

• Rob1971

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Oldgit, disagree completely, if we get relegated none of the blame is on the fans, its all down to one man and that is Ashley, was it the fault of the fans with the previous 2 relegations?

• Yorkfan

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM

I know I’ll get pelters on here for this but I’m past caring. I’m originally from Norfolk and didn’t want to support the same team as my dad (Norwich). My auntie was from Morpeth and so I decided to go against the flow of all my Man Utd and Liverpool supporting mates and I picked Newcastle. I’ve stuck with them ever since about 1986. It hasn’t been pretty but we have had some good years. Tino Asprilla scoring a hatrick against Barcelona and the almost league winning season under King Kev. However, the last 12 years have been bereft of fun and Mike Ashley has slowly but surely ruined this club.

I was sucked in with the fake over and genuinely believed that we might be on the verge of at least a fresh start.

Then Rafa goes and we get Pat Butcher.

It was obvious that he was going to be a rubbish replacement but I was shocked on Saturday as to how quick he has lost the team. Nobody put in any effort and we looked like a team of pre-madonnas turning up for a wage. I think the final straw was joelinton faking injury and asking to come off. We have had our pants pulled down over him. Terrible striker.

In contrast I watched a team of youthful players, trying hard and coached well beat us with ease.

I’ve often thought of Norwich as my second team. I am on the verge of making them my first.

• Ron Knee

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Yorkfan

“pre-madonnas”: Misspelling or intended, either way it’s brilliant!

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Bruce is making a big mistake making comments like that.

Those negative and critical comments about the players and their performance need to be kept to the dressing room and not used to try and curry favour with journalists and fans.

If there is one way to lose the respect of individual players and worse, the dressing room, it is to be publicly critical. Ask Mourinho.

I’ll always give a new manager a chance but Bruce’s comments don’t impress me.

At all.

• Genjikai

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM

Does the fans get 3 teams relegated from the prem every year? (Generally not being good enough gets yous relegated)
    Did sunderland drop down 2 divisions because of protests? (Being shite gets you relegated twice)
    Was backburns demise before or after fans started protesting? What about blackpool? Coventry.
    Hows about hartlepool? Is it there fans fault for what they are going through .
    Same for gateshead? Was it there fans fault they had to save the club?

• Rob1971

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM

The comments below says it all about Luke Edwards really, yet the fans are at fault?

He simply cannot say or do anything right. Ok, he could have won a game, that would have helped,

Nobody can say with confidence, on the evidence presented so far, that Newcastle will win any of those games. If they play like they did against Norwich, they will almost certainly lose all four.

• count

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Yes Rob I am fuming. It makes me very angry indeed.

Rest assured, you haven’t wasted your own life on something beyond mundanity.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:22 PM

Oldgit I’m surprised you want an article posted that is a malicious and sensational dig at Newcastle fans who are actually the least to blame in this saga.

Oh. No. Wait. No, I’m not.

• count

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:23 PM

Fully agree Bills. Bruce is demonstrating how painfully low on intelligence he is.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:24 PM

There are a couple of mind numbingly pathetic individuals on here agree with the idea the fans will get the club into bother. Like Ashley needed our help getting us relegated. 😐

• Yorkfan

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:25 PM

On the plus side I have convinced the wife to let me get sky sports on the basis that this will be our last season in the Premier League and I should be able to watch them whilst I have the chance!

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Sorry yorkfan but your sympathy points ain’t worth squat.

Get beat off Norwich and you’re itching to swap teams

Pay sky so you can fund the fat man who has caused your dilemma

You need a trip to the Logic Doctor 🙂

• count

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:32 PM

Yorkfan! No!

People should be cancelling sky, citing Mike Ashley as the reason why.

Why do you think we get selected for so many TV fixtures? Even when in the championship?

Because absolutely loads of Newcastle fans will pay Sky to watch!

We need to put pressure on. Not submit.

• Yorkfan

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Bleating. The point I was making was that I have stuck with the toon for over 30 years. I’ve never considered packing it in during that time.

The defeat against Norwich hasn’t suddenly made me want to give up. It is the final straw in 12 years of bad management by Ashley.

I’m not looking for sympathy and I couldn’t give a monkeys if you want to give it.

As for paying for sky. I like football and want to watch it. Didn’t realise I needed your permission.

Christ there are some angry nutters on here.

• Genjikai

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Everything ashley owns he causes staff discontent.
    For our irish fans.
    He even uses his sports direct practice of closing down sale. He has no shame.

• NezzaNUFC

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM

That would be funny if Sky done a survey on cancellations and thousands stating

“Mike Ashley is the reason I cancelled”

I would love it if this happened 🙂

• count

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:45 PM

Yorkfan. Are you really that stupid?

Okay pal. I’ll just sit here and listen to you moan on, whilst doing nothing to change things. Actually choosing NOW to sign up to watch the horror show.

• Jib

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Bleatin’ n Bruced
    An article posted that is a malicious and sensational dig at Newcastle fans who are actually the least to blame in this.

No it’s not if you read it properly.

It’s criticism of social media plugs like yourself and Lesh and hibbit and Betty and OP
    toon22 etc. etc. who use blogs like this for a constant litany of negativity.

A modern phenomenon that has very little bearing or relevance to what actually happens
    in the real world.

• NezzaNUFC

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Just imagine…..

Thousands of cancellations

Sheeps actually stopped attending

Mike will have to pay the players wages

🙂

• Oldgit1

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:52 PM

@ Bleating n Bruced not saying I agree with all the article, but can see how the media will turn this round to avert the blame from Ashley onto the fans.

Can’t see this season ending well. The future of our club is in melt down. I for one was looking forward to a relegation free season, sick of the sinking feeling and long runs without wins even when Rafa was in charge, although I did have faith in Rafa to turn it around. Not sure if Steve Bruce will.

Thanks to the two posters that linked the article. Much appreciated.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Yorky don’t get all flouncy I’m not getting angry just pointing out how you came across. I wouldn’t swap allegiance but I might cut and watch Spenny town instead of spending on fat mike’s tat emporium to starve him of my cash, and other little stuff like not paying to give him TV money. My little non-contribution. You obviously aren’t worried about any of those things and bon chance to you

You on the other hand sound very tetchy. 🙂

• NezzaNUFC

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Is anyone going to the next home match?

I have over 50 thousand sheeps to give out to commemorate your loyalty towards Sports Direct United!

It’s a zero hour contract on a 12 month basis?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:57 PM

Jib – another Poster that Logic Forgot. 😀

You day the article points to the what? The negative effects that online critics have on managed who run into a difficult time?

Then you say online forums such as this bear little relevance to the real world?

Which one do you want jib make your mind up!

And you are definitely a subterranean if you think the online social society is not the real world. I thought you were a tech savvy satellite dish man? 🙂

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:57 PM

No not correcting autocorrect…

• Jib

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:02 PM

mmm
    doesn’t know the difference between effect and relevance
    and calls me a subterranean
    mmm