web analytics

The Return Of This Player Could See Changes At Tottenham

There are reports that Allan Saint-Maximin returned to light training on Monday and he could feature in Sunday’s match at Tottenham.

Though with it being a hamstring problem, Bruce will want to be careful with 22-year-old. He should not risk Allan unless he has completely recovered. The last thing Bruce needs is a long term injury to a forward when we are short on options up front.

Joelinton should also be available after leaving the Norwich match with a hip injury. The scans performed on the hip showed no serious damage.

Allan Saint-Maximin– could be back for Sunday

Steve Bruce had said after the Norwich game that all options would be looked at going forward to bolster Newcastle’s attack. Luke Edwards in the Telegraph noted that Steve may even revert to a flat back four to get the attack going.

Other than the first twenty-five minutes against Arsenal, the Newcastle attack has been impotent, to say the least. Yoshinori Muto even spoke about how he felt isolated when he came on for Joelinton against Norwich.

“It was really hard. I felt isolated, and I was always surrounded by three or four opponents.

“As a forward, that was very tough. As a team, we struggled overall.

“When I was watching in the first half, I was expecting it to be difficult when I came on because Joelinton was struggling as well.”

Miguel Almiron has also struggled to provide enough support to Joelinton often dropping far too deep to be effective when Newcastle regain possession.

If Allan Saint-Maximin can make the trip to Tottenham, he will provide much-needed firepower for Newcastle. Maybe using him in a front three similar to how Benitez had the team set up would help create space in the final third.

That would require the removal of one of the three central midfielders. If that happens, Bruce may want to consider using Sean Longstaff and Isaac Hayden similarly to their string of games together last year.

However, that would be hard lines on Jonjo Shelvey who has played decently in the first two games. However, Jonjo’s lack of defensive application often leaves Newcastle vulnerable in the midfield.

Whatever Steve Bruce decides to do at Tottenham, the most critical change we need to see is in the performance. There won’t be many Newcastle fans expecting a win. However, an improved performance is going to be the minimum requirement.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Rafa started last season playing 4231 formation which failed to succeed. After a number of games trying different options he eventually settled on 541, which was augmented by Miggy coming in on the left balanced by Perez who had been in and out.

Steves use of 532 needs to evolve as the defence is shot and the midfield three ineffective. Hayden is the only one making any impression but is not to be relied on in attack and also exposed the right back at Norwich.

I am prepared to write off the first ten matches if I can see an improvement in the team but I do not see the 532 formation bedding in, but perhaps getting worse. In my opinion Shelvey should be playing as a number 10, but i ain’t the manager.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:59 AM

cockneymafiaout,
    He’s lost the plot and unfortunately he’s going to take us down with him.

• geordietom

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:00 AM

@ cockney …

your right mate it was done to get the fans on board which we all know was pure crap . i like you and most people on here would rather have a coach/manager who know about football instead of wallsend boy bruce . me i would at this moment in time have Chris Hughton if he was available …

• RobLeenio

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:02 AM

Bruce needs to do something to make the link between defence and attack more effective. Muto said he felt isolated after coming on, Joelinton by all accounts struggled for opportunities in front of goal. There’s no point in having a marquee signing and then not giving him the ball in areas in which he can prove himself.

At the same time, the defence was apparently all over the shop. I can’t give specifics as I was still coming home from hols while the game was on, but is this possibly because Hayden was being pushed out wide and Shelvey was ineffective in his defensive duties?

It seems to me from what I’ve read that Longstaff, Hayden and Shelvey struggle to define their roles in the same midfield space.

Last season, our most successful midfield had Hayden and Longstaff sitting deep when the opposition had possession, with Almiron and Perez dropping back to fill in gaps. That left Rondon up front on his own but with the pace in the team for players to join him when we had possession and with Hayden and Longstaff playing off each other and creating space for each other, each with the ability to play long and short and to move forward to support the forwards around the box.

Where does Shelvey fit into that system? I think he has to be dropped to the bench to be brought on in the second half if we need to change the game. Our team is maybe short of talent, so we need to up the dynamism, not something Shelvey is known for, no matter what his qualities may be.

Bruce needs to balance his midfield pivot, otherwise the team is out of kilter. Dropping Shelvey may be the way to do that.

• geordietom

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:04 AM

so what we are are all saying is 2 games into the season and and bruce has lost the changing room if he ever had it ?…

• posada

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:05 AM

My section.
    Where the real supporters sit, is sold out.
    Singers corner only has single tickets and not many at that.
    Re Watford that is.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:06 AM

@geordietom

Do you know anyone that was genuinely pleased with Bruce? I know a lot of fans said give him a chance, but I don’t think it produced a positive reaction from fans by any means, so if that is what Ashley was aiming for then he needs to sack his PR team immediately as well as a few other of his staff…

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:07 AM

@posada

Is this home games you’re talking about here? Just i saw singing corner and I’m a little confused.

• posada

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:09 AM

The Gallowgate corner.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:12 AM

@posada

And that is the singing corner is it? I suppose it is the corner that sings the most. But a couple minutes of geordie boot boys and Newcastle United FC does not really make it a singing corner considering it is penny drop quiet for the majority of a 90 minute game.

• hibbit

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:14 AM

Gallowgate East Corner – 120 seats available

Gallowgate Stand – 1,214 seats available

Gallowgate West Corner – 348 seats available

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:14 AM

I really wish they designated a corner that was specifically for fans that want to sing chants. Look at Crystal Palace and their corner. And then those that are not singing would join in anyways as they would feel like the odd one out for not singing.

Problem is at home games now, is a couple of fans try to start a song off and the fans around him give him funny looks like he shouldn’t be doing it. One of the many reasons why I gave up my season ticket. Obviously not the main reason,

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM

@hibbit

Do you know how many tickets are still available altogether? It doesn’t matter like, as Ashley will no doubt create some Sports Direct like carboot sale and sell them off by any means necessary and our fans will snap them up and claim you can’t complain at a fiver.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:22 AM

cockneymafiaout,
    There is a singing section which is very vociferous in the right circumstances. I can’t imagine there’s much to sing about this season though.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:26 AM

cockneymafiaout,
    He’s been doing that for years now, I was at the QPR game when Leon Best scored one freezing Sunday afternoon. We’d hone on my mate’s brothers armed forces tickets, he was allowed four at a fiver each in the East stand, and you wonder why commercial revenue is down.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:29 AM

I think there’ll be less than 15K there to see our reserves get humped against Leicester next week.

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM

Oh the irony,

OP, the man who screamed “LIAR, LIAR, LIAR” at me and only left out “pants on fire” asks geordietom to grow up.

Mind, it is posts like that that make this blog a right larf at times.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:31 AM

I wonder why no one wants to touch his books?

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:31 AM

@Jail

Prior to February, I have been to every home game since 2012. The season we finished 5th, the family section next to the away fans and the gallowgate had a great atmosphere. Every season since, the atmosphere has been drab apart from the occasional game we have turned over a big team or won by a big margin. The chelsea games and the Norwich 5-2 games stick out in my head. Those few games over a course of a season where there are 19 home games doesn’t qualify it as a singing corner in my book. And Newcastle fans no longer create a good atmosphere.

If we had a section that sang like away fans, or like the Crystal palace corner, then I would be saying fair enough. But no, the home fans are poor, doesn’t matter what area of the ground you sit in.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:32 AM

Bills Son Is Back,
    Do you still think it was a great idea to offer StMax and Joelinton six year deals each?

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:32 AM

So, OP and Jail,

You both reckon there will be less than 15,000 at the Leicester game.

I reckon more than 20,000.

Let’s see who’s right.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:33 AM

@Jail

hahhahaha really? it really is laughable, the man has no dignity in any of his business.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:34 AM

cockneymafiaout,
    I can’t agree with that, it’s very loud in the Gallowgate when the team are playing well, that in itself is an explanation.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Less than 15,000 for the Leicester game is a massive shout to be fair. We shall see but I still see at least 20 odd thousand snapping up the opportunity of cheap tickets.

My advice would be save your fiver and your bus fare.

• hibbit

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:36 AM

cockneymafiaout

why so much hate of the match going fans every post you have a little dig ???

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:37 AM

@Jail

You have just reinforced what I said. “When we are playing well”. How many times a season do we play well? Less than half our home games that is for sure and that is reflected by the atmosphere.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:38 AM

@hibbit

Hate is very strong word. But the reason I criticise them is because they deserve criticising. They are quick to criticise the players for half-arsed efforts but they should escape criticism for their half-arsed efforts?

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:39 AM

If we’d have judged Demba Ba and Rondon on two games we’d have sent them back.

And fans are writing Jo off after two?

One of the best players in Prem history, Bergkamp, took a season to adjust.

I was at the Nou Camp when we played the return against Barcelona and a 19/20 year old Aaron Hughes made his debut – a group of fans near me said he was shite and would never make it…

455 Prem games and 110 caps later…

He proved THEY were talking shite.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM

The point I have always tried to make is that Newcastle fans go to the game because of routine. The vast majority do not want to be there.

– They dislike the football
    – They dislike the results
    – They don’t want to sing or cheer
    – Most fans I witnessed couldn’t wait for half time to come so they could go on their phones.

That is my point to everyone thinking I am just blamelessly accusing Home fans. My question to them is, why do you go? Actually ask yourself that question and give yourself genuine answers.

The answer of I love this football club means nothing in words. I love this football club and I make actions (whether right or wrong) I believe are for the good of this football club. Because I do love this football club.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:44 AM

@Bills son is Back

I always use the Bergkamp reference when people write off Foreign players early on.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:50 AM

I will never have a go at fans that go to Home games for the right intentions.

Those who go casually, yes they are welcome to do as they please. But these are the same fans that will say I love this club more than you because I still go. I went for many years and gave it up with a heavy heart.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:53 AM

Bills Son Is Back,
    I don’t think anyone is writing him off, it’s just a big ask for the lad to come in and hit the ground running and especially in this self inflicted shambles. He hasn’t even got a Joselu to take the pressure off him. By the time Andy Carroll is fit we are going to be rooted to the bottom of the league and visiting teams like Sheff Utd and Palace away is going to be seen as a difficult fixture. Bruce has to go and Allardyce offered 8M to keep us up. That’s what it is going to come to.

• Asi Fish

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:54 AM

I was looking forward to the day experience of supporting the club I love and maybe getting my son or daughter to find a love of football too.

They were pretty taken in by the stadium tour but have not watched a live match at SJP – there last live game was Leicester v Chelsea at King power and my 8 yo daughter cried herself to sleep because Chelsea won.
    There is definitely some foundations there to work on.

The problem I have is selling Newcastle Utd to them under Ashley as sometimes even I want to stop supporting this version of NUFC.

I will wait until we are back in Feb 20………my wife and I will defo go and we are looking forward to the day out – metro, drinks, footie and being back in the Toon looks pretty glorious at the minute.

I hope we want to go again but who knows what position we will be in by blooming February.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:57 AM

Looking forward to visiting the new White Heart Lsne on Sunday, shame about the 90 minutes of football we’re going to have to endure inbetween mind.

• Asi Fish

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:03 AM

Jail – I bet that stadium is awesome but you are right about the footie as I think we will get humped.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:05 AM

Posada

Instead of being a keyboard warrior why dont you change your words to actions and Save your shouting for SJP, apparently the team needs it.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:06 AM

@Asi Fish

Your daughter crying herself to sleep is what it means to be a football fan. When you love it, there is emotions at both ends of the spectrum.

She showed more emotion there than the vast majority of Newcastle fans I see at the games.