web analytics

Bruce Gives Update On Injured Duo Seen Training Earlier In The Week

Steve Bruce has given the following comments on the progress of both Andy Carroll and Florian Lejeune.

Bruce is right to temper expectations a bit as both Andy and Florian still have a lot of work to do before becoming match fit. Both have been out with serious injuries and should not be rushed back.

While neither are ‘around the corner’, they are getting that much closer to a return to full training. Steve has given a two to three-week time frame for the duo to return to start training with the team.

Florian Lejeune– will provide big boost when fit

This is sooner than we had imagined for Florian Lejeune. While he had no specific return date identified, a return to training in two weeks would be almost exactly five months since his knee injury on April 6th. So with a little luck, Florian could be available less than six months removed from his injury.

The two to three-week time frame for Andy Carroll to begin training is a little behind the target date of his return. That was reportedly the match at Liverpool on September 14th. We would imagine that he would require a few weeks to get match fit once he does start training with the team. With the game at Anfield in just over three weeks, that may be a little soon for Andy.

However, it is best to proceed with extra caution for Andy and Florian. When they finally do return, we want them to stay fit and in the team. They likely will both provide big boosts upon their return.

• Jib

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:33 PM

Seamus Coleman 31 in 2 months looks better than anyone
    we have on the right.
    It must be all that Gaelic footy in his formative years

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:33 PM

Lesh,
    I’m pleased your memory played a trick on you! It has been too long since I last drifted back to fond memories of Paul Kitson leading the line!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:34 PM

Lilongwe,
    He hasn’t shut up about his lad wanting to support Lpool all year.

• lesh

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:34 PM

Lil

I’ve doing some Jibletting {Googling) and it seems Kitson came in in September 1994.

It’s great to know that and I’ll sleep well tonight because of it. 🙂

• Paully

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:36 PM

Can’t believe Wumster is rolling out the “I travelled 500k just to meet the little hands man” again ffs!

Look at me, look at me… I know all the songs, i once went on the train to see them, I watched them in the rain once… look at me look at me, I’m the Uber Fan! Back off Bobby Bee I’m the greatest fan ever!!!

You turn my stomach with your cheap shots dressed as “Fair and balanced critique”.

I don’t want you following NUFC you snide and I don’t want your young’un either If he’s owt like you.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:37 PM

Aye Jib,
    That’s why Paul McGrath was so fit 🙄

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:38 PM

Anyone do the free game with betway? Betway 4 to score.

Pick first goal scorer in 4 games. This weekend between Liverpool arsenal, Watford West Ham, spurs Newcastle and Bournemouth Man City.

Give it a go.

I put lacazette, gray, Kane and sterling.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:39 PM

Jail,
    Yeah, and how he wants him to be a Newcastle fan! Don’t see much wrong with that. My dad and all his siblongs were Sunderland fans. Only my gran was an NUFC fan.

My first game was Sunderland vs Blackburn as my dad wanted me to support them. I was born in Newcastle, lived in Newcastle, we may have been in a shabby state when I chose, and my first Newcastle match a week later was awful by comparison, but I stuck to my guns.

Hopefully Munster has more success than my dad! Who now, by default of having to take me as a kid, is a Newcastle fan.

• lochinvar

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:39 PM

Norwich at home to Chelsea tomorrow lunchtime
    Might be an interesting comparison to our result last week

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:40 PM

Just can’t believe we’re playing Paul Dummett again. Just can’t get rid of him. Fernandez has to play on Sat. Should be starting. I’d give Muto a chance. Our squad is awful.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:40 PM

I think villa have done quite well and deserve the win.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:42 PM

Lesh,
    Haha, before Cole left! Definitely backs up the theory Cole knew he was about to lose his place, shin splints??? Kitson envy…

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:44 PM

Lilongwe,
    Your missing my point, I believe he wants his lad to be a toon fan as much as he wanted Rafa here long term and funded.

• Reilly

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:47 PM

The problem with munster is,he couldnt see the woods for the trees.There was a reason Rafa set us up the way he did,and we seen why he did at Norwich.We will be on the end of a few spankings this season.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:48 PM

Jail,
    Okay, I was missing your point.

What about me then? I was critical of some performances, supportive of others. Disagreed with some Rafa decisions, agreed with others.

Doesn’t mean I’d want him gone, and certainly doesn’t mean I got my wish with Bruce over Rafa.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:50 PM

The difference in both intelligence and tolerance between the likes of Lilongwe and Jail is truly remarkable. One has travelled, coached football and enjoys other great sports like gaelic football. The other is a sad myopic keyboard warrior who looks at seagulls and has been banned from the Strawberry , so drinks in Wetherspoons and dedicates his life to wittering on the internet about a rich man he has never met.

• Paully

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:51 PM

Rafa made mistakes, Rafa was overly defensive at times trying to nick a point, It’s the sly way Munster sticks the knife in which piss*s me off.

Not a day goes by he doesn’t have several digs.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:54 PM

Reilly,
    Yeah, there were reasons for setting us up in his fashion for many games. There were others where it would have been better to adapt.

Still he has gone, and we have Bruce. Time for him to be his own man and have confidence in himself, otherwise he hasn’t got a prayer.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:54 PM

Lilongwe,
    You didn’t like Rafa, that much was obvious, you didn’t relentlessly slate the guy, compare his tactics to your ar$e and predict a riot if he signed for a big club.

• SPRINGY

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:55 PM

Looking like we could be bottom of premier league before we play spurs Sunday….what score is everyone expecting
    ?…
    me..im expecting 3 or 4 nil….just dont think we look like scoring and spurs look like scoring plenty every game, especially if ericson plays…hope im wrong but just what i think.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:57 PM

Reilly I have coached and trained in football. Have you? I fully understand defensive football. In fact I encouraged it . But rafa played the same against the likes of cardiff and thats what I questioned. He did the same v other weakish teams. So, in praise of rafa ( and if u look back u will see that I did praise him a lot, but mainly last season) I wud highlight leicester away last season (and I did). But what amazed me was that negative analysis was never allowed. I wonder if man u fans ever criticised Fergie.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:57 PM

Good result for Villa. Villa, Norwich and the Blades have all had decent starts. Look organised and hard working. Worrying for ourselves and a few other clubs in that mix.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:58 PM

Munster,
    When you’re believing that sad sack carl that I have been banned from the Strawberry then you’re really showing your absolute stupidity.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:59 PM

At times villa reminded us of ourselves past couple seasons.

Wesley looks suited to the target man role.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:59 PM

Lil, believe me I didnt want Bruce for rafa either. But i’ll give any nufc manager a chance until we can see what he is all about.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:00 PM

Reminded me

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:00 PM

Jail,
    I didn’t dislike Rafa, I thought he took pragmatism too far, which occasionally ended up as negative. Some of it was neccessary, other times not.

Still, past is the past. Bruce is here, and that is very worrying given how he is coming across and looks a lot of the time.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:00 PM

Villa won? Not good.

• Toonces

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Lilo @ 58

Perfect opportunity on Sunday for Bruce to find his mojo and make a statement. Let’s hope so.

Same for the players. Great opportunity for them to show they still have that team work ethic and togetherness that was built over the past 3 seasons.

HWTL!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Munster,
    He is only worth giving a chance to if he actually steps up to the challenge and becomes his own man and puts his stamp on it instead of mimicking and adapting. It hasn’t worked. His press statements seem confused, players seem unsure. His demeanour is one of self doubt. He has to snap out of that or he might as well give up now.

• Reilly

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:05 PM

munster we missed a pen at Cardiff.Munster i hated Rafa’s football aswel but i understood why he played it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM

Toonces,
    It is. The players haven’t lost their mojo. But Bruce is trying to use Rafa’s defensive set up, while changing attacking elements – partly due to personnel.

Thing he doesn’t seem to understand, is that the tactics and set up only works as a full team unit. It worked, pressed and closed space together.

Changing even one element of that means there will be players being forced out of position, to cover and destroying any shape and organisation. That was incredibly clear at Norwich.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM

Strawberry ban sounds about right though Jail. Says a lot about how you are perceived. Aggressive, intolerant, obsessive ( think about all the old posts you dig up) and a bully if you can get away with it. Not with me though , obviously.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:11 PM

Lilongwe,
    There’s not much sentiment in football. If Rafa had of been allowed to spend 100’s of millions and Ashley had come out with statements like qualifying for CL was a bare minimum and meant it then criticism of the guy would be obviously justified if he didn’t deliver. However, considering the calibre of manager has been Pardew, McLaren etc and now Bruce, how on earth can we criticise Rafa for what he’s done.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:12 PM

We’ve scored more goals against Spuds than any other team in the prem.

The only team we’ve beaten more than spuds is Villa.

Game of two halves 2-2

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:17 PM

Toonces, a point would be great, but because rafa was seen as Jesus christ , he could play 11 men behind the ball at spurs and all was ok. If the new mgr does that, he’ll be declared a pathetic dinosaur. I dont have much faith in Bruce but he deserves consistency of analysis, as much as any manager

• Moonraker15

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:19 PM

Everton is one of reasons Ashley gives for not spending money! It has to be said when you look at them he has a point. The secret is, don’t spend shed loads of money unless you’ve got a top manager in post! We had one!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:20 PM

Jail,
    Rafa never got us to 5th though like Pardiola, and Pards had even less control of anything!!

Tongue in cheek their btw.

But we can criticise, cause it is what sport is all about for supporters, opinions, ideas, people we like/dislike.

There were games under Rafa I would criticise, and be told I was wrong, only for Rafa to come out in his oresser and basically say he could have done things differently.

At the end of the day, I doubt many, if any, wanted rid of Rafa. I am almost 100% certain only Alex Bruce wanted Steve to get the Newcastle job.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:22 PM

When people realise this latest blip is nothing to do with Bruce being shit and everything to do with the owner announcing in his own way that 17th is a good season and that long may it continue then the quicker we can direct our anger at Mike Ashley.

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:23 PM

Jail im probably guilty of never explaining my thinking about rafa clearly enough and instead getting involved in spats. Im not criticising rafa for “what he has done”. He did well with a terrible owner. I didnt want him gone. All I objected to was that he was beyond criticism on here. I dont think thats unreasonable?