web analytics

Steve Bruce Responds To Michael Chopra’s Comments As Fabrications And Lies

On Tuesday, Michael Chopra made some provocative comments to TalkSPORT when he issued the following assessment of the state of Newcastle under Steve Bruce:

“I’ve spoken to some senior players at the club, I won’t mention their names, and under Benitez, everything was drilled into them on the training pitch: the team shape, how they were going to play, everyday.

“Bruce has come in, and some of the players don’t know their jobs. They are not really working on their shape.

“At Newcastle for two or three years those players have overachieved under Benitez, but I don’t think some of the players are good enough for the Premier League. So they need coaching.

“They need coaching. They are not good enough.”

We found these statements by the former Newcastle player to be a bit over the top. Whether any of the current players said anything to Chopra, we just don’t know. However, it caused an unnecessary firestorm in the press.

You would think a former Newcastle player would understand how comments like these not only undermine Steve Bruce but also cast suspicion on which players at the club are unsettled.

We are also not sure of what Michael’s intent was with his bleak opinion. However, comments like these can only serve to further the divide currently being felt at the club.

The players and coaching staff need to be unified this season if they are going to make any headway at all. We really hope that no player said anything of the sort to Michael Chopra.

Steve Bruce was asked about the Michael Chopra incident in his press conference today. The Chronicle have published the following comments by Steve Bruce when asked about what Chopra said:

“It’s not for me to comment on what’s been said but, there’s often a storm in Newcastle. It’s two games, and I just want it to be fair and responsible. I know the only way I can shut people up is by winning games and I know the quicker, the better.

“The Chopra thing was blown out of all proportion. Some of this stuff out there is just nonsense, blatant lies. Some of the criticism has been relentless, but I’ll protect the players and keep my dignity.

“I’m just surprised that people take any attention of him. Some of the stuff is just fabricated and lies. When it’s like that, you think why is that making national headlines, which is total rubbish.”

Steve Bruce is right to be upset with headlines like the one Chopra made earlier in the week. Especially that it came from a fellow Geordie.

However, Steve Bruce is absolutely correct that winning games is the only way he and the squad can calm the current storm around the club.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Jib

Funny, nothing to Posada.

Funny your first post is on finance.

Also the article doesnt back up your claims, dont worry though I’m sure everyone has you sussed by now.

Change your name to spoon ffs.

Stir stir stir

• Jib

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:41 AM

My first post was in response to your post on Saint Maximin
    and tbf it was footy finance at another club

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Jib

I may aswell ask what everyone wants to know, did you really go to the Arsenal match or were you just shit stirring as usual?

• posada

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:47 AM

Optimistic Poison

You’ve not been to a game for 8 years – True or false ( apart from the odd freeby )

Only 30 folks went to the last meeting of TMG – True or false.

You were giving match goers stick 6 months ago – True or false.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:49 AM

You are aware posada is having his 15 minutes by winding people up don’t you?

• Lindisfarne

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:50 AM

“players don’t know their jobs”

As we know generally footballers are not the greatest communicaters, the above quote should be replaced with ‘the players are not receiving the same level of information’. Rafa was known for being very detailed, watching videoes on the opposition etc. Inevitably our current coach, who is being payed 16% of the previous manager, is less intensive with his instructions.

Another case of under investment?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:51 AM

Keep his dignity. I think he lost that when he decided to be “head coach” for SD united.

• RobLeenio

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM

Jib, from that article:

““We home Saint-Maximin is OK, too early for Andy Carroll and Dwight Yorke, but the others are OK.”

Dwight Yorke?????

I wonder if that’s a Kinnear-style Malapropism from Bruce or a typo from the journalist?

I rather think the former, but for the journo to reproduce it is bizarre!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:01 AM

Would love us to have someone like Dwight Yorke up front for us right now!!

• Lindisfarne

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:03 AM

He is not under 25!

• one fine day

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:05 AM

Roblenio
    Dwight gale my guess unless Bruce’s bought a delorian 🙂

• Just a fan

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:07 AM

Re Sunderland and new buyers.
    In my opinion it will be many years if ever before Sunderland are a top top club.
    I’m my lifetime of supporting Newcastle they have won one trophy.the same as us.
    I may be wrong but I think they have won one game in Europe and never been in the top four in the league.thats not ever just in my lifetime.

• Jib

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:14 AM

With new buyers that are simply investors like
    the group Dell is involved with , it is essential they
    get the right footy people in.
    Fosun at Wolves are a textbook lesson in how to do it.

• dig-n-dig22

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:14 AM

Hibbit

If this ” non crisis” turns into a crisis and the fans that pay at the gate, start to disappear en mass, how do you think the ST holders will feel if anybody can walk in to SJP on the day for a tenner so that Ashley can avoid the embarrassment of lots of empty seats?

• RobLeenio

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Yep, he defo meant Dwight Gayle, that much is clear. Just a bit odd, suggests a lack of attention to detail and woolly thinking in the mould of JFK, sadly.

I’d also love Dwight Yorke up front, especially if paired with Andy Cole.
    😮

• hibbit

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:17 AM

dig-n-dig22 i never renewed mate ask posada

• RobLeenio

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:17 AM

Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole from 20 years ago, obviously – not the 50 year-olds they are now.

Even we’re not that desperate!

• RobLeenio

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:19 AM

“it is essential they
    get the right footy people in.”

Yep, like Lee Charnley, Dennis Wise and Derek Lambias.

• hibbit

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM

niall quinn and some money would bring the crowds back very quickly and the n a decent manager would have them moving in the right direction but it would take time and patience

• WLtoon

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:34 AM

I guess the mackems will be buzzing today about a new investor coming in. I doubt it will turn out the shanbolic way it ended up on Tyneside, there may be a bit of clout in this story. Best of luck to them i say, ive got a few pals who follow them and they, like us a fed up to the back teeth of the lack of ambition shown at their club.
    Ashley, a simple message from a middle aged Geordie who is fed up of your toxic running of our club.
    PLEASE DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND FCUK OFF

• Munster Mag

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Chopra, self publicising tool.