web analytics

Young Midfielder Loves Every Minute With Newcastle First-Team

Matty Longstaff has had a bit of a whirlwind summer thus far. He’s broken into the first-team in pre-season and scored that wonder goal at St James Park against St-Etienne.

With the summer transfer window closing soon for League One and League Two clubs, there is still a slight chance Matty could go out on loan. However, we think those chances are very slim.

Newcastle have only four recognized central midfielders in the squad other than Matty in Jonjo Shelvey, Sean Longstaff, Isaac Hayden, and Ki Sung-yueng. With such little depth at a position where three are called upon to start, it looks almost certain that Matty will remain at Newcastle to provide cover.

This is quite the change for young Matty who we would have expected to still be in the U23s or about to go out on loan just a few short months ago.

Matty Longstaff– what a moment at St James Park

The Chronicle has published some comments by young Matty about how his fortunes have drastically changed for the better over the past few months. This is what Matty has said about being involved with the first-team:

“I’ve loved every minute of it, and I can’t thank Steve Bruce and his coaching staff enough.

“They’ve helped me every day. They’ve trusted me to go and play. When I have got on, I’m doing enough to stay around the place and remain part of the squad.

“By staying here, even training with the lads everyday will help you improve. These are some of the best players around. If I can learn from them, it’ll be great for me.”

“At the start of pre-season my aim was to get out on loan, but pre-season went well, and I’ve remained in the squad.

“It was completely different to the way it was mapped out.”

We would expect Matty to at least make the bench if not start on Wednesday’s cup match against Leicester City. It will be quite the moment for the nineteen-year-old to make his debut for his hometown club. Hopefully, we will get to witness that soon.

Matty followed up with comments about his big brother Sean. What Sean has done will serve as inspiration for not only Matty but other youngsters trying to break into the Newcastle first-team.

Here is what Matty has said about his older brother and his impact on others at the club:

“You see what he did last year, and you look to try to replicate what he’s done. Having him around is great, but all the other lads have helped me as well. It’s been a learning curve for me.”

It could be a Longstaff midfield for years to come at Newcastle. If they both can reach their potential, that would be fine with us.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Posada

What did the group do for the first 15m whilst waiting for late arrivals.

Despite your claims I haven’t owned white trainers since school, I spoke 2nd on the night, describe me, my Tshirt you wouldn’t forget.

• DubaiMicky

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:16 PM

During his press conference, Bruce did get one thing right “There’s often a storm in Newcastle.” I don’t think he means the weather either.

One of my mates here is a Spurs fan (his missus in manure), I’ve been invited to their local to watch the match tomorrow, I reckon I’ll be washing my hair.

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Chopra is the only one who has the balls to speak the truth. Look at the rest of them, lascelles, Ritchie, Nolan, ameobi, there all covering up lies.

Sad day when the only one who speaks the truth is the one accused of lying

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Dubai Micky

Hahahaha, I would use the same excuse despite I don’t have any hair!

• Mindshaft

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Bruce should come to this blog if he wants to see a storm being blown completely out of proportion along with lies, exaggerations and general fabrication of the truth – luckily the views on here don’t in reality match the mood in Newcastle or with match going or general toon fans ( including those who have stopped going for various reasons ).

• Mindshaft

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:25 PM

General feeling amongst Spurs fans is that they will give us a right hammering with scores ranging from 3-0 to 7-0 !!!
    I’ve asked my mate if he’ll write a view from the Spurs side on the game and us – will post it here if he gets his arse into gear and writes it

• cyprus

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:26 PM

If he’s fit, definitely play the holy one. Have only seen that 20′ cameo, mind, but he looks like he could scare some defenders.

Him, Joellington, Almiron up front. It can work.

On the team, I’m willing to give to the players and this manager a honeymoon, it’s totally unfair not to.

Rafa had the longest honeymoon in my memory with any team. Even ultra defensive football, record breaking losing runs were forgiven. And he did turn it around, sort of, saving us from relegation, despite the briefest of cup runs.

I’m giving this new guy a chance.

• cyprus

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:27 PM

On the game. Draw.

• Lindisfarne

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM

If Bruce insists on retaining the same 352 (532) formation he needs to sort out how the midfield are meant to play together and enable the forwards to get hold of the ball. The central midfield seems to be a muddle with players not having enough space in attack and not controlling a designated area of space in defence.Service to the forwards could be improved by having Joelinton moving from the middle to the right when possession of the ball is gained, with Miggy moving left to recieve the ball in the space between the CB and WB, turn back and pass to either our own WB or CM.

• WLtoon

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Cyprus

How long are you prepared to give him ? is it so many games or so many months?

• WLtoon

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Very quiet on here today

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:03 PM

Jibs watching cricket and he’s finding it hard to post with his fifteen different alter egos.

• one fine day

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM

WL toon
    Is a bit
    Crickets on
    And “posada” is googling like a loon to respond to a few questions posed …but we all wait .

• SA Toon

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM

Seems to me we have to go with 3 attacking players – Joelinton up front with Almiron and Saint Max un behind. I would still play 3 central defenders, but would only have two in the midfield (Hayden and Longstaff) supported by Ritchie and Manquillo as wingbacks. Unless we provide a threat up front we’re just going to be defending all afternoon – and that won’t end well!

• DubaiMicky

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Let’s not talk about the cricket 54-6 at lunch isn’t good for England.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM

I know naff all but that scores na good.

They’re going to need that Archer kid to injure all the ozzy batsmen

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM

I know naff all

Just saving jib the time to cut and paste.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:12 PM

This little heat wave may help us out down at Spuds.

If it’s really hot it may slow the game down a bit.

• one fine day

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Just watched the wickets
    At least 3 ball balls you would leave well alone ..WTF
    ROY is not an opener
    The sandpaper wizard is catching everything

• Mike's Iron Curtain

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:12 PM

If fit ASM needs to start.

Highest successful dribbles in European leagues last season. You need players who can dribble past 2 or 3 to break a teams defensive shape as one is beaten it draws another out of position making space for teammates.

Almiron needs to be played out wide primarily and drift in behind the lines. Gets buffested and bashed around too easily trying to come deep picking up the ball with his back to goal.

Schar needs dropping. he’s been awful in our opening two. Under Rafa he’d hit 2 or 3 sublime passes a match in the right circumstance. His decision making has been abysmal under Bruce. Every pass he’s elaborating now for the sake of it and gallivanting forward with abandon too, leaving us wide open. Lost all discipline.

Shelvey needs dropping because he has quickly reverted to old habits and isn;t even demanding the ball and doing anything with it to make up for it.

With all that in mind, my team would be (I know Bruce isn;t going to change formation and go with something similar again):

_______________Dubs
    Manquillo_Fernandez_Lascelles__Dummett
    ________Hayden____Longstaff
    Ritchie________ASM________Almiron
    ____________Joelinton

Stop using Joelinton as a target man and keep it on the ground.

Fernandez in to give us some more defensive know-how and grit.

Manquillo back in for Krafth.

Ritchie back to his RWF role where he can provide a threat cutting in and work with Manquillo on the overlap. Will help the high press too with him and Almiron up there.

• c-dog

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Bruces interview is cringe worthy
    Way out of his dept here
    We are a laughing stock again

Bruce Out!

• Markaccus

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:15 PM

Not going to be a great weekend for sport for me. Ashes will be back in Australia by close of play tomorrow and the toon will be humped on Sunday. May stick a treble on adding in England to lose to Ireland in the Rugby

• Mike's Iron Curtain

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:15 PM

English batsmen are a joke. Only first-class test cricketer they have is the new boy on the block Jofra.

Should get Sports Personality of the Year that guy. Especially if he carries on like yesterday through to the end of the Ashes.

• MG-Man

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Re , the mackem takeover , totally out of the blue . There wasn’t a hint of it anywhere . Meanwhile , we get Staveley appearing at a game, lapping up attention . Then she appears at a curry house with Ashley, where conveniently a press reporter is in attendance. Later along comes Kenyon and the letter appearing in the press . Then finally BZG splashed all over the papers . It’s starting to look like this clubs NEVER been close to a sale . Just publicity stunts to make it look like Ashley wants to sell

• WLtoon

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:27 PM

@24

yeah thats exactly how it looks. and usually just before a transfer window. I think we will know better next time and not be fooled by any fakeover shite.

• Mike's Iron Curtain

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:28 PM

Cyprus

You talk about the ‘new guy’ as if he’s an unknown quantity.

• posada

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:35 PM

#BoycottAshley ( OP)
    Aug 23, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    Posada

About 2 weeks ago you were on here slagging off TMG and boycotters.
    When you spoke of the TMG meetings it was “I think” itll be this type or that type doing x y z “I think”?
    “I think” isn’t the words I’d use if I’d been to a event as I’d KNOW what happened at that event.
    Let’s just pretend you did go.
    Everyone spoke about who they were if they still had a ticket etc, only 3 people said they still had tickets all said they planned to give them up this year. You weren’t one of those 3 as 2 were a Irish couple in their 60s and the other was a lad in his 20s.
    You’re either lying to the blog to get some credibility or you lied to the people in the room as you dont have the courage of your convictions.
    Either way you’re a liar, why would anyone believe anything you said?
    Be gone you poisonous rat.

**********************************************************

I went to the last meeting of TMG.
    It was held in the upstairs room of the Irish Centre.
    There were about 30 people there. 35 perhaps if you include the actual members of TMG.

The evening started with a young lad from Wallsend doing some rap music on the stage.
    Not sure what that was about.

A younger man with a beard spoke. Was it Adam ? Seemed a reasonable type.

A lad of about the same age from Wor Flags spoke. Again, seemed reasonable enough.

An older fella at the front spoke. Trotted out all sorts of stuff about Mike Ashley. Nothing I had
    not heard before. If anyone asked anything that he did not like he seemed to twist his face as if he was in some discomfort. Well, it’s a public meeting. Someone always will say something that challenges you. The bigger the meeting the more chance of that happening. Less chance when only 30 folks go. Yes, it was just an impression he gave and I may be wrong about him.

Another older man spoke. His rhetoric in my view was inappropriate.
    I’ll say no more than that.

A man sitting to his left to his credit said hang on a minute you can’t say that. Some people might think you actually mean that literally or words to that affect. I think in fairness that all present just thought that he had got carried away in the moment. Yeah, I’ll go along with that.
    However, I was not impressed and as I say it’s not the sort of thing I would want to be associated with.

The fella who interrupted him I think was sitting next to the Irish Lady referred to by OP.

At the end of the meeting I was left thinking they have no strategy, no tactics and no objectives.

I appreciate it’s difficult. If it was easy we would have been rid of Ashley years ago.

However. It does seem that we are stirring up a lot of anger and grievance. As we can’t get at Mike Ashley a lot of that is now being directed at match goers.

I’ve been very careful about what I have said. I did not want to e mail TMG.
    I did not want to say anything that would identify me to them.
    Why – because I do fear threats and intimidation.

OP is asking me this and asking me that. Part of it is he wants to know who I am.
    Well, most folks on this blog don’t make it known who they are. It’s a blog and that is my choice.

Am I right to fear threats and intimidation.
    I don’t think it is their aim. However, they seem to forget they may be firing up certain more volatile types.

Match goers have had no end of stick on here for weeks from some claiming to be be part of TMG.

At no time did I say anything about keeping my ticket or otherwise.

So, make of that what you will.

• posada

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:37 PM

You won’t get any of the above on google.
    Sorry to disappoint but your Tee shirt was not something I noticed.

• CJ

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:41 PM

All of a sudden Sunderland are being bought by American billionaires via MSD investment company. No noise, deal done. MSD quoted as being a very ethical and professional. I remember rumours a while ago that MSD were interested in Newcastle but walked away. Shame

• c-dog

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:43 PM

Markaccus

totally agree mate
    disaster weekend
    switching to that hurling sport full time i think is the best option