web analytics

Steve Bruce Is Fighting Fire With Fire – Will It Be Enough?

There is nothing we would like more than Steve Bruce to take Newcastle into the top half of the table. For him to achieve a comfortable finish that defies expectations would be inspirational.

It would be the path of least resistance for any Newcastle fan. It would also be quite the story. The affable, but somewhat lightweight, hometown lad comes home and, inspired beyond his abilities, achieves his dream.

Steve Bruce has never had a squad like this at his disposal. While at Sunderland and with backing, he achieved a tenth and thirteenth place finish. That’s the same as Rafa mustered at Newcastle, the optimist could proclaim.

We think this squad is better than any of those Sunderland ones. If Steve Bruce is ever to achieve anything, this is his ultimate chance.

Steve Bruce has only been the head coach at Newcastle United since July 17th. It is not even September yet, and already he is under fire. Though to be completely accurate, he has been under fire since day one.

The abject performance at Norwich this past weekend has accelerated the firestorm surrounding his appointment. It was a performance that was not just unacceptable, but it was something that only someone like Steve Bruce would produce.

The timing was so unfortunate that it was actually quite predictable, with all factors considered.

It is only two games into the season, and at times, we must stop and address our pessimism. A result at Spurs and the horizon will be so much brighter. However, another Norwich and we will see our doom enter the Hadron Collider.

Steve Bruce, to his credit, is having none of it. He appears to be up for the fight.

The Shields Gazette have published the following comments from Steve Bruce about his first five weeks in charge of Newcastle:

“Am I regretting this job? Absolutely no chance.

“I love the fight of it. When it gets unfair, that’s where I get disappointed. I could have given it a load of bulls*** last Saturday, all the flannel. I say it the way it is, because I was totally disappointed with the performance.

“I never give up the fight for it, that’s in me. No-one else in the country would be under the spotlight that I feel as if I’m under at the minute. It is what it is, I knew it, I have to accept it. I could have said no.

“I’m prepared to roll up my sleeves, and I hope the team respond the right way.

“I’ve had to work and fight to be a player, coach, and manager. It’s never come easy. I have to work every day, I’m not afraid of that.

“I’ve been in the game a long time and have been beaten badly lots. I hope my record stands up with teams I’ve managed in the Premier League, smaller clubs than this. I’ve always managed to do OK. I hope I can do the same here.”

We admire Steve Bruce’s determination. Hopefully, he can inspire the squad to achieve something this season. However, we have yet to see the results. And in the end, that is all that really matters.

• toon22

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:21 AM

Munster

Knocked Rafa from day 1
    Decided it’s best to give the traitor a chance ?

Ones a world class manager

Let’s see if Munster can pick which one it is ?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:22 AM

No apologies for the repost as this contains probably the most random and odd bit of football trivia I know, and I know some utter rubbish….

Ilovetoon,

And go back to the late 60’s and 70’s and people would have thought you crazy for Wolves not being competing for trophies and Europe regularly.

Wolves are also the only European team to have won the US soccer League and playoffs.

They had poor ownership and mismanagement, which is what saw them fall away.

• toon22

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:26 AM

Lilongwe

Looks like we have swapped places with them

😉

• IrishRob

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:28 AM

Ooh the ranger he was deadly, with the big iron on his hip.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:32 AM

Mumster,
    Chopra will know people in the squad amd within the club, that is pretty much certain. How true his claims are, well, people will believe it based on their original viewpoint, regardless. No player will admit saying it, but I wouldn’t confidently say none have, although they probably aren’t happy with Chopra going public.

All his comments really demonstrate is that he is also a fan, and feeling all this as much as any of us, and expressing his frustrations, like we do on here.

Mind, it was also Bruce thatshipped Chopra out of Sunderland swiftly after becoming manager. Bruce arrived at Sunderland June 3rd. Chopra out of the door 1st July.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:35 AM

Wolves were the first professional football team I ever saw, back in the early 1970’s against Qld at Lang Park in Brisbane, on a churned up goat track of a rugby league pitch. The great Derek Dougan lead their line. Also, saw Boro, with Jack Charlton giving himself a run, at centre forward, lol, and Sunderland too, including Bobby Moncur. Even played in one, against Charlton, then of the old English first division, who fielded a young Rob Lee.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:40 AM

22,
    Yeah, that was kind of my point. That they were superior to us, probably evem for long periods when they were mismanaged, and we became bigger/more successful under Sir John.

Where they are now is where they should really be, and people thinking relegation and not coming up could lead to a similar period in the wilderness for us.

Those wanting us to plummet to be rid of Ashley, because this is the worst it could be, don’t really get that it hasn’t always been Keegan and SBR. Shearer, Robert, Ginola.

• lesh

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:43 AM

The fact that Bruce sees part of his role as having to fight a fight against the media and fans speaks volumes. Despite receiving advice from Shearer, the bloke’s taken on a job that’s almost impossible to succeed in. He’s been presented with a squad that’s unbalanced, players who’ve been foisted on him, fans who’ll resent him and a media that’ll jump on any opportunity to crucify him.

Oh, and just for good measure, an owner who’s so hated that he’s installed Bruce to take the flak and shield himself and the rest of his crew from criticism.

The sad thing is, the super fans, those that claim to support the club and the team but not the owner, will be among the first to slam Bruce when things go tuts up. Ashley will get away with it again and yes, they’ll be there again, renewing their STs – as though schidt’s what they’re prepared to accept and pay for it, season after season.

It’s their shout but it sure as hell beats me why they do it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:51 AM

Lesh,
    That’s a bit disengenuous. The ‘super fan who attends’ will be the first to jump on him? Are the boycotters being sympathetic tp Bruce’s plight?

I’m pretty sure Bruce has received abuse from matchgoers and boycotters alike since he was first linked and was still at Sheff Wed.

Do you not think it is time to knock the arguments between boycotters and matchgoers on the head and actually provide a joint platform to campaign from utilisimg those in the ground and those outside to increase impact.

Comments pitching fans against each other just stop us making progress and keeps focus away from the real problem.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:55 AM

Out of interest, how do pro boycotter and matchgoers view the people who have paid for a season ticket, but are refusong to attend?

I’ve seen maybe 5-10 people who have said this. Are they worse as they are goving their money to Ashley even though they don’t want to watch?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:07 AM

Those who pay for their season ticket and don’t attend are fantastic, in my opinion. The money from the gate doesn’t go to Ashley, it goes to the club, as far as I can tell. So by giving up your season ticket you’re hurting the club, not the owner. It’s a significant problem. I support boycotts for certain targeted televised games, not many, and applaud those who have bought a ticket and choose not to attend. That’s a real sacrifice. I prefer it though when the vocal anti Ashley fans are in the ground though. They sing for the lads, and against the owner. The loss of the flags is also terrible, but this really is a war now, against an unfit owner.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:00 AM

I see Redfern is doing a cracking job with our u23s just like Bruce is doing.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:27 AM

“I’ve been in the game a long time and have been beaten badly lots.”
    Gawd help us

• toon22

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:45 AM

He’s not the sharpest tool in the box

LoL

• hibbit

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:14 AM

*divide and conquer disrupt and destroy*

i don’t know who’s behind it or what there agenda is, but they’ve definitely done a number on the blog !!!!

it certainly looks like mission accomplished this morning ????

• MidlandsMag

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:21 AM

Lilongwe@10

I am on the 10 year deal and can’t cancel until January. Someone once commented that cancelling before that could result in a mark in your credit file. I am not sure how true that is, but not worth taking the risk.

I boycotted Arsenal but was going to attend other (unboycotted) matches but I am more disheartened with the whole situation than I thought I would be so not planning on attending any more.

• Jib

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:49 AM

hibbit have you ever visited the house of commons ?
    I have and sat in the visitors gallery mesmerised for hours
    the spectrum of opinion and beliefs is awesome.
    However
    The divisions between MPs (Brexit excepted) are not driven by
    someone with an agenda but merely a reflection of folks different
    perceptions.
    There would be little point in having shills (lobbyists if you like) on
    a blog – blogs have no power or influence.

• Genjikai

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:52 AM

Win for the toon on sunday.
    Joelinton and almiron
    2-1
    Guttsy performance
    HWTL

• Lindisfarne

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:55 AM

Bruce said as he prepared his squad for Sunday’s trip to Tottenham. “All we’ve worked on is team shape since I’ve been here. All we’ve done, all week and every week, is formation, team shape.”

….. Lets hope we can see it on Sunday.

• Genjikai

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Lindi
    Then jetro doesnt know where he is suppose to play when he comes on ?
    Wheres that face palm emoji?

• hibbit

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Jib we’ve had divisions on the blog for years but never like this, this is organstrated assault on the blog with an agenda somebody is making the bullets

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:19 AM

“Blogs have no power or influence” – That’s an interesting statement jib I’d very much like to see your factual basis for that. Do you think other social media platforms are likewise ineffective?

• geordietom

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:24 AM

mackem avatar on a Newcastle blog ! …

• Jib

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:26 AM

Tsunki
    Opinion
    I’d like to see your evidence that they do.

• Jib

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:26 AM

I think the orchestration is coming from TMG

• hibbit

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:30 AM

Jib your getting so very predictable that’s just the answer i expected from you 😉

• hibbit

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:40 AM

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:41 AM

Hibbit

They’re firing blanks, loads of noise but no damage.

• geordietom

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:42 AM

arr knar not cruises again …

😀

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Tom Cruise

• Lindisfarne

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Genjikai

certainly a lack of evidence to date

• geordietom

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:47 AM

OP …

thats twice youv’e said his name you got a thing for him …

• geordietom

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:48 AM

Citizen Smith …

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:48 AM

I think Pardew would have been safer pair of hands than Steve Bruce.
    Both talk the same cliche speak anyway.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:49 AM

Genjikai
    2-1 to us?
    Don’t drink and predict!!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:49 AM

😀

• Lindisfarne

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:49 AM

geordietom

i hope you are not the script writter for the new avatar movie!!!

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:51 AM

It would suit you better.

Or Thomas Cook

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:53 AM

I see Bruce drops in the word Flannel there. Does he get paid extra in bonuses to drop that in.

Next we’ll hear how him and the players need to dig in and work so to put their Slazenger boots on and get to it.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:56 AM

We should have got Barbara Woodhouse as our manager.

She doesnt do tactics or training doesn’t know much about football but apparently she’s really good at holding on to a lead.