web analytics

Midfielder ‘Didn’t Enjoy Being On The Bench’ – Expect Return At Spurs

We fully expect Sean Longstaff to be recalled for today’s match against Spurs. He made a difference last week when introduced in the second half, and we saw what he brings to the side.

While Steve Bruce has been adamant that he is protecting young Sean as he is returning from his knee injury, we would be very stunned if he did not start today.

Sean has apparently reacted very well to not starting at Norwich, as would expect from the 22-year-old. Though that does not mean he was happy about it.

The Mirror have published the following comments from Steve Bruce about his young midfielder.

There’s times when you just have to protect him but, certainly, the one thing I enjoyed about him was he didn’t enjoy being on the bench. He certainly reacted in the right way.

“Sean and his brother are grounded individuals. They’re a breath of fresh air, the two brothers, and it won’t be long before the other brother gets there as well. I think that will help that they have been well grounded.

Both Sean and Matty seem to be very sensible lads. Sean will have understood the situation surrounding Ki coming in for him last week. Bruce is very good with players, so he will have fully explained to Sean his reasons.

However, Longstaff will be rearing to go again. Today’s match at Tottenham should see him return to the side. His reaction, as well as the entire squad’s, to last week will be very telling. We fully expect Sean to be reinvigorated. We just hope we can see the same reaction from the entire team today.

• RobLeenio

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:13 AM

Match day! Always get a buzz, no matter the circumstances.

We need to compete, the manner of our performance today is almost more important than the result.

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:16 AM

geordies here – geordies there – geordies every f..ing where – la la la la …

morning everyone …

• Mindshaft

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:16 AM

Matchday 🙂

Charnley is a massive problem in my eyes , although people say he’s just doing Ashley’s dirty work , I think he takes it a step further than even Ashley asks.
    Ashley has a ton of shite on his plate and Newcastle barely make it as a side dish – club runs itself and makes a small profit as well as being a worldwide advertising vehicle for his tat ( something he’s mentioned is a very good deal for SD at shareholder meetings).
    I just don’t think he cares that much if fans target him.

• RobLeenio

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:16 AM

Good to see that excellent tweet from Rob Lee yesterday, echoed my own sentiments precisely.

Any anger over the state of the club on or off the pitch should be laid squarely at the door of Mike Ashley esq.

Blaming Bruce for any of it is pointless.

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM

rob …

same here mate but we got to wait till 4-30 …

we need a good performance today at least put spurs under some pressure up top . get the wing backs pushing on a bit … MAXI’S fitaint he ?…

• Jib

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Mindshaft
    The sign of a good CEO is when a business seems to run itself

• Jib

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:22 AM

While we wait for Bill to end his Sunday lie-in

7 hours 7 minutes to KO

• Mindshaft

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:25 AM

Pressed enter in error , can’t be arsed to finish what I started 🙂

Anyway , today I’d drop shelvey, revert to a 4,4,1,1 and use Hayden and longstaff – we’re going to be under the cosh today for sure and we can’t afford to concede early or it could end up a cricket score.

Watching the new centre forwards in the prem this season so far (albeit mostly motd ), it may seem we’ve bought the dud, however I just don’t think he’s a centre forward – he can’t lead the line, hold the ball up nor does he possess a box of tricks to do it on his own.
    Think he actually needs a CF to play with and the midfield way higher up the pitch, he’d look better in a 4,3,3 in my opinion.
    Today might be a good day to try it – most fans are expecting a defeat today so nothing to lose.

• Mindshaft

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Jib – Ashley is the owner not the CEO , even you must realise that running a company with out of date infrastructure , demotivated staff and trying to run it without investment leads to one thing – closure !

• RobLeenio

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:28 AM

Maxi it’s fit but hasn’t trained every day. Not sure if he will start, under Rafa I would have said definitely not but who knows.

Could be a canny impact sub if we’re still in the game with twenty minutes still to go.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:29 AM

Watching Klopp laugh at Arsenals tactics fill me with dread going foward.

Some of the VAR decisions yesterday are as bad as any decisions i have ever seen.

• Jib

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Mindshaft
    Charnley is the CEO
    That was my point

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM

anyway i’m just gonna sit back enjoy the match . just want the lads to play well thats if Bruce gets his tactics right . dont sit back to much hit them on the break . let Miggy run at them see if VAR is on our side but then again we are playing against one of the the darling teams in the EPL . will Harry Kane put one of his horror tackles in and get away with it ( again )…

• Bigjim67

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM

I’m at work today until 11pm so won’t get to see any of the game, think we’ll get thumped today by 3 or 4 goals.
    Before this season kicked off i said that i wasn’t bothered if we struggled or not, well nothings changed.
    However badly we do, the head coach won’t be sacked, not until we’re down anyway. Really are f#cked.

• martoon

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:43 AM

I have to say I don’t blame Bruce for taking the job – any of us would even though we’d be cr*p at it 😉

• Munster Mag

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:52 AM

Genj gotta say you sounded a bit threatening to jib (?) last night. ” you dont know what i’m capable of” . I didnt read postings much last night as was out so not sure what the circumstances were. I agree with Rob lee.

• Jib

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Munster
    Genji has said the same kind of thing to other posters
    Yet he wants folk to join his merry band

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:00 AM

something wrong with blog …

no avatars the frog will have a field day …

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:01 AM

oops their back …

• hibbit

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:07 AM

martoon
    Bruce is squealing like stuffed big about the so call criticism, it will only get worse till things change on the pitch, is he the guy to bring the changers about i very much doubt it,

he was well warned about the reception that awaited him, family and friends told him long before he joined us about the ground swell of feeling against his appointment, he has to live with it till he defiantly knew what he was signing up to !!!!

“If he can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”
    meaning
    Don’t persist with a task if the pressure of it is too much for you. The implication being that, if you can’t cope, you should leave the work to someone who can.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:08 AM

Martoon@15
    That was my point many moons ago… I can’t blame Bruce for taking the post.. even though I think he’ll be gone by Xmas… Its whale boy who’s the problem and Untill we get rid of him we’ll have to put up with his shoite

• Bigjim67

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:09 AM

hibbit
    Agreed

• The Sheikh'sMate

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:12 AM

Hibbit, I get your point but who the hell would want the job whilst chubby fingers still owns us??

• hibbit

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:12 AM

i think its possibly the one thing we all agree on Ashley is the problem , but Burce is now seen as Ashley’s man he now becomes part of the problem,

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:13 AM

hibbit …

not after a argument last your mr&mrs geordietom comment about tuesdays match . dont know if you were being genuine or having ago ? …

• hibbit

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:16 AM

The Sheikh’sMate

when Rafa left folk on here were saying dozen of managers would be queuing up to take the job,

• Jib

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:16 AM

hibbit
    Bruce is squealing like stuffed big
    (I presume you mean pig)

Perfect example of what’s the problem with social media

Bruce could be said to be whining if you want to be ultra
    critical

but – squealing like a stuck pig ?

dear me

• Munster Mag

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Genj was talking about the younger generation fixing the mistakes of their elders, sounding like my 12 year old. Good luck in removing Ashley. I will salute you if you can. My best guess is that he’ll go if he gets a big offer and not before. And letters asking to explore the club accounts need to be written more professionally. Hoping for best today, fearing worst. 3-0 with a marginally better performance.

• AncientC

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:19 AM

I do not view Shelvey as the problem, although he has the ability to be part of the solution. The tempo against Norwich was unforgivable all round apart from maybe Ritchie and Almiron. It’s not a one man band.

Tottenham would be ecstatic to see Shelvey dropped today. Shelvey, Longstaff, and Hayden all should be playing.

• hibbit

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:20 AM

Tom
    total genuine never had any bad feeling ever about folk that decide to go to games, it’s entirely your choice and i hope mrs enjoys it .

i was taking the piss about the atmosphere or lack of it !!!

• martoon

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM

Hibbit – I agree although I want him to do well I don’t think he’s the man for the job but I don’t blame him for taking it.

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:23 AM

hibbit …

thought so mate good job i can speak cantonese …

😀

• The Sheikh'sMate

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM

Hibbit, yes I know but we supposedly approached 5 managers approximately before we hired Bruce

• hibbit

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM

Jib ok if you say so 😉

• Moonraker15

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:26 AM

Jib
    You seem to be suggesting that Newcastle United is a well run business. Either you’re a massive wum or a fckin idiot.
    Success in business is not just about making “a small profit”, it’s also about maximising your potential, something we fail at which is obvious to any interested party.

• geordietom

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM

i’ll be glad when the Fat man sells up then it will stop the division between the fans hopefully…

• Moonraker15

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:34 AM

Tom
    I agree, but you can’t expect anything else whilst there’s Ashley apologists on here. The world and his dog knows the bloke is a knacker!

• Munster Mag

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:34 AM

I dont blame him for taking the gig either. If he gets mid table it will be a fine effort and he can always say ‘i managed nufc’ when he retires. I dont have huge confidence in him and have already criticised him more than I criticised benitez in the same time period, but to be honest, the efforts on the pitch in the first 2 games were poor.

• Munster Mag

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Are we featured on sunday supplement

• Moonraker15

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Hibbitt
    I took a mate, an Ipswich fan to a game v Southampton a few years ago and he loved it because of the SBR connection, but I have to say I was very embarrassed about the total lack of atmosphere in the ground. The best part was the atmosphere in the Goose pre match and the banter with the fans which he loved!