web analytics

Too Early For Saint-Maximin But Joelinton And Lascelles Should Be Fine

After yesterday’s game, Steve Bruce gave a quick update on the players who were substituted. This is what he said as published in the Shields Gazette.

“It’s too early. Saint-Maximin’s a recurrence of a hamstring, and that’s a nightmare for us, unfortunately. The other ones, we’re not too worried about, although whether they’re going to be ready for Wednesday is another big call.

“Certainly, Saint-Maximin is the most difficult one, because he’s had a recurrence of a hamstring, which is a shame for him. Big Joe has run himself to a standstill, I think. Jamaal has got a calf, but we don’t think it’s too serious.”

For a moment in the second half, it looked like Joelinton had suffered a substantial groin injury. We were worried that he would have to come off. However, Joelinton got treatment on the pitch and was able to soldier on. He was substituted late in the game for Yoshinori Muto, but that looks like it was due to fatigue.

Jamaal Lascelles had to come off after stumbling in the box and injuring his calf. He too received treatment on the sideline but had to be replaced by Federico Fernandez. His injury doesn’t look too serious. We would imagine that Jamaal will be rested for the cup match on Wednesday as Fernandez can come in and do a job.

Allan Saint-Maximin– should not be risked this week

It’s a different story for Allan Saint-Maximin as he had a recurrence of his hamstring injury and was replaced after just 15 minutes. It is a shame for Allan as he had to miss last week’s match also. He will almost certainly miss the two games this week.

The good news is that Christian Atsu is back and was outstanding when he came on for Saint-Maximin. We also have Jetro Willems who can play on the left-wing if necessary. Or Jetro could slot in at left-back, and Matt Ritchie could be moved further up the pitch.

There’s always Miguel Almiron who played on the left last season opposite Ayoze Perez. The versatile Matt Ritchie could move to the right and play the inverted winger role that he has played most of his career.

Steve Bruce will have plenty of options to cover for Saint-Maximin. There is no need to rush him back. Hopefully, he can recover over the next three weeks and be ready for the match at Anfield in mid-September.

• c-dog

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:12 PM

If Brucey boy keeps playing Rafas game we’ll be fine. Shelvey has no place at the club unfortunately. Now considered dead wood.

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:17 PM

It was a terrible decision by Bruce to rush him. Let’s hope he’s learned from the error of his ways.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:17 PM

Neil thank you for moving the bus just as i finished my rant.

I mentioned yesterday that I couldn’t tear myself away from the drama at Headingly and missed the start of the game. To which I got this comment from Manxpie.

manxpie

Aug 25, 2019 at 7:57 PM

Its cricket Essex hang your head in shame it wasn’t even for the win, we now know where your true allegiance lies

The comment itself didn’t bother me as i took it as a bit of humour.

What does get up my nose is the 6 cretins who have hearted the comment and who dare to question my allegiance to the Toon. A team that i have supported through thick and thin for nearly 65 years.

Most of you 6 dickheads probably weren’t even a glint in your daddies when my support began.

As I already said to manxpie I had recorded the game and did not miss any of it. Not that any of you had the brain cells to bother to read on and see my comment.

And I don’t need to excuse myself or apologise for watching the finale of the England /Aussie, as an Englishman I’d have to be totally soulless not to do so.

Please say who took the trouble to be so offensive so I can cross you of my xmas card list, thank you!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:22 PM

Atsu should be rested for Leicester, as should almiron and joelinton.

Atsu has just come back from a long injury, had no pre season and had a solid 70-80mins. Almiron did lots of sprints and players like that can susceptible to picking up injuries. Should be saved for Leicester.
    Joelinton was out on his feet lol, should be given the chance to take it a easy a little and not push him too hard getting used to the league and the intensity required every match.

But with ASM injured, we have nobody to come in on the wings unless we use a youngster from u23s. Muto can play upfront.

Perhaps start transitioning willems to English football and have him on the wing?

• Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:24 PM

Essex, it was a stupid comment for sure. Even an Irishman like me has to give your cricketers full thumbs up for that. results and performances like that dont happen much.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:25 PM

Martoon

Just a friendly word of caution, you mentioned meeting Paul Dummett and saying how tall he was, a big no no on this blog, sisism (?) gets a total hate response from certain posters.

Remember the opprobrium Munster got for innocently mentioning the size of Rafa’s hands after he travelled the width of Ireland to meet his hero (yes) and he still gets dogs abuse cos of it.

Just thought I’d pass on some sage advice.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:26 PM

Munster thanks mate, the comment I just made I posted before i saw your’s!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:27 PM

I never hearted that comment Essex. But did like it and smiled when I read it as I took it as a light hearted comment. Maybe other posters did saw it the same.

• Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Ronaldo, he might play Joe as he tries to get him familiar with us and english football but I would rest him for sure. Either way the manager will be damned by loads on here . If he plays a full team he will be accused of not being clever. If he plays a weak team he will be told he is an Ashley pawn. Tarquin will have the blades out for him. The poor man has to win a trophy to impress our precious Tsunki . Unbelievable.

• Mindshaft

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:28 PM

Jib – ‘Frank Lampard also didn’t pay Norwich enough respect
    on Saturday and only just got away with it.’

Rewriting your own facts doesn’t change the actual facts, Lampard changed formation at half time and they ran out easy winners, Norwich barely got a sniff 2nd half

Go and join toon22 on the blog bore shelf 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:31 PM

I’m not going to bother correcting the grammar in my last few comments, the gist of it is pretty evident.

• Mindshaft

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Munster, agreed – Linton was shattered after an hour yesterday but still tried his hardest and put in a shift – would definitely rest him and miggy, focus should be on Watford game

• Jib

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:32 PM

Easy winners at 2 – 3
    You having a larf

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:34 PM

Rolando

Yeah I said that I took it that way as well, perhaps the 6 would like to add that that was how they read it!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:35 PM

Munster
    I don’t want to get involved in your spat with Tsunki lol. I give you both more credit though than you two do for each other.

But as long as there’s a mix of senior players and young players then I don’t think most posters will have a go, nor should they have a go. There’ll be comments that slate him like but as always they’re to be expected, especially on match days.

• Jib

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:36 PM

Mindshaft I think it was probably you that didn’t see the game.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:38 PM

Essex
    I’d question NY mag and Genjikai. They have a habit of this… don’t you boys!! 😉

I don’t think you’ll get this if you never read our posts the other night but they will.

😀

I reckon they’re you’re snakes!!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:39 PM

Your

• Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:40 PM

Cheers essex. I consistently highlighted rafa being over cautious against average teams. I never slagged him off for parking the bus against liverpool etc, although the first home game against city was an embarrassment. The second one wasnt! And the leicester away win was a masterclass. And I praised him openly. Rafa could not be questioned on here , and I could never accept that for any manager, even under a bad owner. Lets hope Bruce can get us attacking against weaker teams, but lets give the guy a chance.

• Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:43 PM

Ronaldo, he’ll get more abuse than he should because he managed sunderland and is employed by ashley. I just dont go with that. Give him a chance I say. I slagged him off re norwich and arsenal because it was warranted. Yesterday was brill.

• Mindshaft

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:48 PM

Jib – you, my good man are an idiot.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:52 PM

Munster
    I think similar tactics and set up is the way forward. Not every team will keep possession well like spurs. Gives more opportunities to win the ball, counter, attack more often. The hope is get used to the system and players so attacks become more efficient and effective while having more opportunities against the so called lesser teams.

• Jib

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:52 PM

Aye OK

• Genjikai

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Now now ronaldo.

• Jib

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:53 PM

I’ll wear mindshafts denigration as a badge of honour

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:57 PM

Hi Genjikai lol

• Genjikai

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:12 PM

Good guy ronaldo!

• Genjikai

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:13 PM

Ronaldo
    I will be informing ny mag of this the night.

• Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:19 PM

You could be right ronaldo. At this point its hard to know what type of “home” football we will see but I dont think we looked as cautious against Spurs as we would have done under rafa and there was definitely less punting it long or long passing. Rafa’s football wasn’t that bad in reality and i don’t have an issue with counter attack as a way of playing, provided it can be adapted. Rafa’s football was in reality similar to Fat Sam in terms of length of passing etc , as was perfectly shown when the two teams played in Goodison. I really hope SB can get us to play with a little more style and possession but the quality of the prem is so high now that caution and counter attack is often best. And if we become a full counter attacking team thats ok with me, as i though rafa would go that way if he got faster players. Calling yesterday a win for Rafa is disingenuous ( not saying u said that) . Loads of managers play two tight lines , compact, with a strong striker. But the players bought into it and I’m still not hearing any moans about SB from them, except maybe from Muto. Even Chopra was big enough to congratulate Bruce. But little sweetpeas here who have probably not kicked a ball in 20 years are throwing mud at him ? Charmers. Give the bloke a chance. I hammered him for Norwich and it was deserved. But he needs months to truly make an impression in terms of a fully bedded in style , or styles. Big error of judgement to play Max by the way, but it did show attacking intent from KO and it was really good to read the team sheet. At the end of the day, survival is the big issue. But yesterday was a bit special.

• Bruce

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:21 PM

So if we lose, we are shite.
    If we win, Bruce is using Rafas tactics.

Some people on here.

• Bruce

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:22 PM

How many games did it take for rafa to get our first win.

• c-dog

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:23 PM

Not sure EGB has had his feed yet
    He’s doing some crying
    Anyone mix up a bottle?

Baby

• Bruce

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:24 PM

Spanish waiter oot
    Bruce in

• Bruce

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:27 PM

People seen to forget that Bruce was very late coming in and so was the new signings.

We were unlucky against arsenal and shite against Norwich.

That’s all.

• toon22

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:29 PM

So its best we show a world class manager the door because Jabba wanted to go back to gambling on players
    And hire an utter nightmare

Yeh excellent

• c-dog

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:31 PM

Alex

You are right. Time needed for your father to deliver. We’ve now beaten the CL finalists in their back yard. What next. Brucey is a genius.

• Jib

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:34 PM

Rafa wasn’t shown the door
    He found a magic door that took him to the riches of the East
    He deserves it
    But the club paid a heavy price for his personal feud with Ashley
    Benitez quite deliberately screwed up our pre – season.
    It was no accident

• Bruce

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:38 PM

I blame him, its because of him we were late getting players in.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:52 PM

Rafa didn’t deliberately screw up our preseason Jib you imbecile. He was waiting like the rest of us to see if the takeover was going to happen so he could continue his project here.
    You would be better advised to stick to deciding whether to wear your braces and dungarees when you are Jib / Jeff from Benwell or to wear the full lingerie set with stockings, suspenders , frilly panties and bright red lippy when dressed as Jane. There’s no point you keep coming on here and commenting about something of which you know nothing.

• Jib