web analytics

Our Predicted Starting Eleven Against Leicester City

It looks like there will be a lot of changes for the cup match on Wednesday. Steve Bruce gave a bleak injury report this morning. While only Allan Saint-Maximin is out for any significant period, there are five players suffering knocks from the Tottenham match.

Assuming that Christian Atsu, Miguel Almiron, Joelinton, Jamaal Lascelles, and Fabian Schar will not be risked against Leicester City, this could be the team that Steve Bruce decides to field

We think Bruce will try to maintain as much continuity from the Tottenham game as possible, so we have kept the formation similar. Matt Ritchie will move to an inverted winger on the right. This is a position he has played for the bulk of his career. With limited options upfront, we have Rolando Aarons coming in on the right as he will be eligible to play in the cups.

We have Isaac Hayden and Jonjo Shelvey in the midfield with Yoshinori Muto leading the line. There is really no other option than Muto as the lone striker. We thought about Bruce going back to the 3-5-2 and having Aarons playing off Muto, along with three in midfield but we really don’t want to see that formation again.

At the back, it is four changes with Willems, Fernandez, Clark, and Manquillo coming into the side. Martin Dubravka has kept his place in this lineup as Newcastle will need to keep the team as strong as possible.

This is not ideal, but with the press conference this morning, it looks like we will be fielding a drastically weakened side.

This is what we have as the substitutes. Fabian Schar has made the bench as emergency cover at the back. We also do expect to see Matty Longstaff at some point in the game. With the dearth of striker options, 18-year-old Yannick Toure, from the U23s, has made the bench.

Karl Darlow, Fabian Schar, Emil Krafth, Ki Sung-yueng, Matty Longstaff, Sean Longstaff, and Yannick Toure.

• investinyouthtoon

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:57 AM

Repost as missed the bus.

Just a fan, of course fans will demand a team that tries in the cups as a premier league team you will find most if not all would expect their team to at least try and go as far as they can. It’s called having hope. What’s the alternative, put out the kids and wave the white flag?

However after Sundays match and effects on the players it would only seem logical that several or most would be unable to commit to another game so soon. In this scenario Bruce has to make changes especially with Watford in mind.

In a scenario whereby the club is properly financed (Leicester and wolves as examples), and we have very good quality in majority of the fringe players. Then yes I would imagine we could put our eggs into more than one basket and be competitive in both the league and cups.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Jib,
    I don’t like the Bloke and don’t want him near the club, I’ll dish out credit at the end of the season, not after one win.

• danishmag

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM

Repost from prev.

Just a fan..
    YES it was a clear penalty!!
    You have to be seeing Black and White not to think that was penalty.
    Kane is clear through, and Jamal “trips” in front of him.. Clumsy or not.. Penalty!!!

No, i want us to loose, and get relegated, so that we might have a chance of that fat FCUK leaving!

Are you pissing yourself when we have to watch that kind of football every week?.. hoping for a win, because the team is that shitty?!

WE ARE NEWCASTLE UNITED, not Bournemouth.. not Burnley etc…We ought to much higher side by side with clubs like Everton, Spurs.. As long as that twat is here, we will only watch us with 20-30% on the ball, hoping to end above 18th.

How you fools cannot see that is beyond me.

• c-dog

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM

Jail

We’ve beaten the champions league finalists
    Bruce has won the city over
    And Ashley is vindicated
    Time to let bygones be bygones

• outside the box

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:02 AM

i think darlow will play and young longstaff will get game time ….would think he may give hayden rest …line up will be interesting .

• Rotonda heights

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:04 AM

It’s a bit daft people saying rafa could do no wrong and Bruce can do no right. For years munster, catchy and others have berated Rafa at every turn, saying he was defensive, didn’t know what he was doing etc, etc.

On Sunday Bruce did very, very well, albeit petty much reverting to and using using Rafa’s formation and dropping Shelvey. However, we don’t hear that Bruce is defensive, despite only 20% possession. In the interests of fair and balanced, both managers have both been successful using the same formation with more or less the same players at their disposal.

I really hope bruce can be a hit, I really do, history says otherwise but who knows.

• RobLeenio

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:10 AM

Repost – actually very like Rotonda’s post above, not the the first time you and I have agreed lately.

Bruce did do very well at the weekend, and credit to his much-derided coaching team also. The drills they’ve been running in training were evident, there was a game plan and the players carried it out with energy and enthusiasm.

Interesting that it was a defensive performance very much in the Rafa mould (in fact, very much like the 2-1 win over City which I said would be a blueprint for how teams will take Pep’s teams on in the future), yet Bruce has had no stick for setting up negatively.

Why the discrepancy? I’m not willing him to be criticised, far from it, I just wonder why the likes of Richard Keys and Rio Ferdinand aren’t all over him like they were Rafa.

Maybe, just maybe, it doesn’t suit Ashley’s agenda to have his media pets attack Bruce (just yet).

• IrishRob

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Danish…… I’ll never put loyalty above honesty and in my opinion the Lacelles incident was not a penalty. I would accept it, but it wasnt a penalty, you cant start giving things for simple things like that, and you most definitely cant punish a player unless it was clear and obvious he meant to do it. And that penalty claim was anything but clear and obvious. If you start giving penalties for things like that you will rip the heart and soul out of what makes the game good.

The Schar incident was a far bigger shout for a peno and even that one was not deserving of a Penalty.

With VAR it also makes it harder to argue because the ref said no, then it went to VAR and they said no. It’s not just one person btw, there is literally like 10 people staring at dozens of screens and some angles that we dont even get to see, they all arent wrong. Consider the possibility that maybe you are.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:14 AM

C-dog

Irony – right?

• RobLeenio

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:14 AM

I wonder if we’ll see a Longstaff fulcrum in the CM on Wednesday. What a story that would be for the club, having two brothers, academy products, starting their first competitive senior game together.

In terms of PR, it seems like too good an opportunity to miss, while giving Hayden a chance for a rest as he’s played every minute so far this season (I believe).

• toon22

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM

JIB

A gaming god with s gravatar 😉

• posada

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Stan Colymore gave an ex pros version – no penna.
    Why – the contact was not enough to bring down Kane. He went down cause he wanted to go down.
    Media, reporters and academic types think penna as any contact means in theory a penna.
    They can’t think like pro footballers.

Perhaps refs are going with the pros way of thinking.

Will it be consistent ?

• toon22

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:22 AM

Wonder if Ed could force one upon him ?
    Just for a day

• Jib

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:26 AM

toon22
    Ed and Neil as administrators can force one on me
    easily – send them an email.
    I’d embrace an avatar with open arms just to see you
    eat humble pie

(however I fear your rather weird ego wouldn’t let you)

• toon22

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:27 AM

LoL JIB

All of those alts going back all of those years

Hahahahaha

• toon22

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:29 AM

I’m not sending any email
    If you choose to stay as you are that’s fine with me

All one will do is show the past and won’t stop you in the future

• IrishRob

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Looks like toon22 has finally got over the heartbreak of Our great win against Spurs. Lol lol lol

• RobLeenio

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:32 AM

I’m not sure what this latest toon22 crusade for gravatars is supposed to prove – gravatars are linked to email addresses. If someone did indeed have multiple log-ins, they would presumably be linked to different email addresses, so could very easily be set up with different gravatars.

The attraction for me of having a gravatar is so that it’s more difficult for a poster to be impersonated, although it doesn’t prevent it completely. Also, as The Wife said last night, it helps to get to know an individual if their avatar is distinctive.

• Mag :P

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Well. I ain’t hiding.

🙂

Shown my mug for years and I’m still apparently ‘Rob’ for some.

• Jib

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:41 AM

RobLeenio
    For some reason my version of Windows will not
    co-operate with Gravatar.
    I’ve tried a couple of times , to no avail.
    An interesting side note
    Jeff from Benwell who I’m often accused of being
    and Jane
    both have avatars !!!!!!

• jon.c

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:48 AM

For Feuk sake look to the future forget Rafa he has gone

• Anglo Saxon

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:59 AM

Jib how about an avatar the Spanish waiter, Manuel, should suit you well.

• toon22

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:59 AM

It shows all your past posts connecting to your email address since you started posting
    Showing if you have used alts connected to the same email
    I’m betting JIB didn’t use loads of email address but just kept kept changing names

• Munster Mag

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Rotunda, I thought you were more intelligent than that. For ages I have tried to clarify that I had no issue with Rafa tactics against more talented teams than us, although I hated the initial Man City game. I have no issues with this approach, but he was incredibly defensive against most teams, irrespective of quality. My other point was that I couldnt criticise him for this because people like Jail and Tarquin had hissy fits? Obviously I ignored them. That was a Bruce effort on sunday and he got more out of it than Rafa did, Good on him. But if he approached games like Rafa did against the likes of Cardiff then i’ll be disappointed. I am certainly supporting the guy for now. If nothing else he deserves it as others will slag him all day anyway, irrespective. I mean, look at Tarquin. The silly little girl wont accept gim until he wins a cup. How many of those do we have in the locker ???

• Munster Mag

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM

Rotunda, again, if you are going to berate me, at least try to be accurate. I never said Rafa was clueless etc ?? Are you going like ur chum Tarquin now, just randomly lying ? I have already said that I didnt want O Neill ( Tarquin and Jail) and was not a fan of Mike bloody Ashley, as Tarquin publcly claimed. There are some liars on this forum , little weasels like Tarquin who randomly lie to make their points look better. If you want to debate with me fine, lets do so honestly. And fair play to you for wanting Bruce yo succeed, Its what we all shud want, although clearly not what 100% of people want.

• JohnJ

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:50 PM

What a lor of folk missed re the “penalty” shout is the replay failed to show the crafty nudge from Kane that knocked our lad off balance. Well spotted by the ref!

• JohnJ

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:52 PM

Irish Rob do you still live in the Emerald Isle? I’m a great lover of Ireland but must confess I feel more comfortable in the south!

• Munster Mag

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:24 PM

John, my offer of a pint still stands if you are near Limerick!

• JohnJ

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:32 PM

Munster Mag @ 28

I’d love a pint of Guinnes (specially in Ireland) but alas I live in Tyne & Wear 🙂

• JohnJ

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Wow not sure how that happened!!!

• JohnJ

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:40 PM

My comment at 30 relates to a very large smiley face that was there but it seems to have gone now – how strange!