web analytics

Two Loan Boys See Action In Carabao Cup

Liam Gibson started for Grimsby Town at home against Macclesfield in this evening’s cup match. It was only his second time on the pitch for the Mariners due to some injury trouble to start this season. However, the game only made it to the half-time before being suspended due to rain.

Elias Sorensen made his third appearance for Carlisle United from the bench. Sorensen came on in the 64th minute in Carlisle’s 2-1 loss to away to Rochdale.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:44 AM

Will be interesting to see a couple of the new young lads we brought in tonight, and try and compare them to the couple of players we have already seen.

• Genjikai

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:45 AM

Mindshaft
    I agree, one hundred percent.
    I hope the NUST is successful with their quest to gain part ownership of the club.
    Things need to change or else more clubs will be exploited.
    Ashleys model will be taken on by more and more.

• Genjikai

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:47 AM

Aye time for bed.
    Over to you guys.

• Genjikai

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:48 AM

HWTL
    Dreaming of a toon win.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:52 AM

Just read the player ratings post. I know it was a great team performance and it is easy to get carried away singing everybody’s praises. However, I couldn’t help but notice Krafth got a 8/10. Rose tinted glasses there Ed, he had a shocker.

• Jib

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:04 AM

No player in Orange had a shocker on Sunday

• Bobbybee

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:13 AM

Looking forward to tonight’s game. We always get on the centre line for cup games, by buying early. Cracking view regardless which end we’re kicking.
    Got to feel for Bury fans this morning, with Bolton not far behind. From what I gather, the fans – as always – have been let down by the EFL. Wonder how many more will fall through the net in the coming months and years?

• Jib

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:29 AM

It’s too easy to blame the EFL
    Once a sport enters the business
    world , market forces take over.
    It’s no coincidence that Bury and Bolton
    are part of Greater Manchester catchment area
    where arguably M United and M City are the
    two most successful sides of the last 3 decades.

• Jib

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:31 AM

I predict Oldham next , if they are not careful.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:37 AM

It shows how shallow people are in football when no one has offered to help Bury out.

Millions going to agents, players on millions per month.

As usual the fan pays the price whilst the greedy siphon off the cash and move to the next club..

Two or three years in the championship and we’ll be following Bury.

Look at our finances and how we rely on sky money.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Sad to see Bury get kicked out of the football league had a soft spot for Bury – first team game I went to was the Toon v Bury in 1963 – got beat 3-1 or 3-2 I think.
    toking forward to tonight in strange way to see what team we will field – be mostly shadow team as 6 of the players from Sunday are carrying injuries.
    Pity this game is not in a months time as it would of bean a good opportunity to try and get Carroll and .eJuene some action time.
    Oh F**k boris Johnson going to ask the queen to suspend Parliament so he can get his no deal through – ARGHHHHH

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Deal or no deal, I thought that was Noel Edmonds not Borris.

• RobLeenio

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:43 AM

I honestly don’t see the point in using any senior players without a squad number tonight. They are the failed past of the club and we need to look to the future.

If there are players who need a rest from our regular starting team, then they should be replaced with other squad members and younger academy players.

I’d dearly love to see Matty Longstaff get some time alongside his brother. If Saivet plays ahead of him, or Lazaar ahead of Owen Bailey, it will be a sad indictment of our policy.

I think we’ll be competitive this time round, purely because Leicester will also be resting players. I’d like to see Perez back and I think he’ll play but I’m not too concerned with that prospect, honestly.

Watch him now score a hat-trick….

• NY Mag

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:52 AM

OP,

To be fair every premier league club relies on TV money. Some more than others of course

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:54 AM

RobLeenio

Normally I would say that it is a manager’s duty to make the most out of their resources and those not registered for the Premier League only have the opportunity to play competitive games in the cups.

However, we have had the likes of Doumbia and Ferrerya on big wages playing reserve football the last few years.

• cockneymafiaout

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:55 AM

Also great game Sunday, defensively outstanding which is refreshing to see as I thought those days had disappeared with Rafa.

However, playing Saint-Maximim was obviously a panic move by Bruce that could backfire massively.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:56 AM

NY

I agree in part but I dont think any other club relies on it the way we do.

Our other income couldn’t support the club, others aren’t as far away as we are. We’re the new Leeds, we’ve replaced CL money with Prem.

• Jib

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:57 AM

Talking of finances – the Sunlun takeover seems to have
    ground to a halt.
    It would be hilarious if Ashley comes in and hijacks the Americans.

• bill

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:57 AM

3-2 Charlie. I was there that day. Colin Bell was playing for Bury, and the other thing I remember about that game was Alan Suddick pulling down the shorts of a Bury player when they were getting a wall ready, if my memory serves me well.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM

Bill
    Funny
    Colin Bell became my favourite footballer of all time and I am a Toon supporter – he was something special and a NEast lad to boot
    Cannot remember Suddick and the shorts
    My biggest recollection was standing in the Leazes end and looking up at the floodlight pylons in awe
    Going back to the Leazes End tonight will have five minutes to reflect on Bury
    SadlybI think they are the start of a few clubs folding – due partly to the greed of the Premiership and scrapping of the trickle down payments or hatever it was called

• martoon

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM

RobLeenio @133 – I understand what you are saying but as we’re still paying these players surely get some use from them and go as far as we can in the cup?

• NY Mag

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:10 AM

OP,

There are several clubs that are way more reliant on tv money than we are :-

Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, crystal palace, Southampton and even Leicester