web analytics

Hamza Choudhury Hopes Ritchie Is Better Soon And Responds To Steve Bruce

Steve Bruce was a little upset with the challenge that Leicester City midfielder Hamza Choudhury had on Matt Ritchie late in the first half last night. He felt it was a reckless challenge and deserving of a straight red card.

However, Choudhury ended up with just a yellow, but Brendan Rodgers would pull him from the game to start the second half.

This is what Steve Bruce said last night about the challenge:

“I have to say that the mess Matt Ritchie’s in, the referee is five yards away and I know there will be VAR tonight or whatever, it’s a horror challenge.

“I don’t want people sent off or red cards, but when I see the state of Matty’s leg – we fear ankle damage, he has three cuts which all need stitches, he is a mess and the referee if five yards away from that, which is difficult to take.

“I don’t want to see anyone sent off, but when it’s horror challenges like that, that wasn’t good.

“No wonder he didn’t come out for the second half.

“I didn’t have to see it back, I seen it there.

“It’s a horror one, it’s over the top. We haven’t got many angles on it, but believe me, it’s horrible.

“He has been stitched in three different wounds, and obviously we will have to wait for the scans to see if there is ankle damage, but the kid is in a mess.

“I never want to see anyone sent off, but when you are over the top of the ball, and you are lunging in like that, you can damage people and nobody wants to see that.”

Bruce was obviously reacting to the injuries his player has suffered. That made it all the more emotional for the coach. However, at no point did Bruce suggest that Choudhury meant any harm to Matt Ritchie. Bruce was pointing out that the challenge was a bad one that has injured his player.

Matt Ritchie– moments after Choudhury tackle

Leicestershire Live has published an explanation from Choudhury about his tackle and also his response to Steve Bruce.

Here is what Choudhury has said:

“It was a 50/50, and he has pulled out at the last minute which has made the tackle look a lot worse.

“I don’t know what I can say, it’s what I do, I try to tackle – I’ve never gone in trying to hurt someone.

“Unfortunately, for Ritchie it has, and I hope he gets better very soon.

“And for Steve Bruce to say – I know he was a tough-tackling defender in his day, so people are quick to forget how he played football.”

We do not think that Choudhury meant any harm to Matt Ritchie, though it was a rash tackle. He leapt at the ball with his studs showing and as Ritchie planted his right leg, Choudhury’s heel caught Ritchie’s ankle.

It doesn’t look like Ritchie pulled out of the challenge as Choudhury suggests. Ritchie just stayed on his feet as went after the ball, while Choudhury jumped in.

As far as Choudhury’s comments about Steve Bruce, it’s probably best to just wish Ritchie well. The tackle was a bad one, and the game has changed since Steve Bruce’s playing days.

Bruce also never said Choudhury showed any intent to harm. It was just a reckless tackle in which the players made contact at the worst possible moment for Matt Ritchie.

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:36 PM

First!

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:36 PM

Suffer it rob!!

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:42 PM

Jail not sure what your point was last night. I completely agree that we should be outgunning leicester city. We all know where the blame lies but 75% of the guys on here are posting that anyway. I think we know! I dont think rafa wud have done any better in last two games, not that I particularly care. Bruce is doing ok. Happy to keep supporting him and hoping for best. If we do a norwich v watford, dont come on here whinging at me. im just hoping like u are, but without any agenda.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:52 PM

Just watched the 14 minute highlights on the NUFC site and from what I saw Shelvey was the outstanding player on the field and but for a great save by Schmeical could have won us the game. Thought his pen was OK as well and another good save. Haven’t seen the whole game so can only judge on what I saw but he’d always get a start in my team if I was manager.

• Tony Baloney

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:54 PM

Same thing over and over, matey. Not me:

Lesh
    jail for Ashley
    Genjikai
    Hibbitt
    Old Arse (Abe Simppson)
    Tsunki

Same thing, forever.

Boycott tw@ts.

NEVER.

• TomaKaThor

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:55 PM

Wanyama going to club brugge for 12 million,we should of tried to get him,of course Mike never would of because he is 28

• bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:55 PM

It’s not a matter of being for or against managers. I haven’t been anti any manager, other than Gullit (arsehole), and I’ll give Steve Bruce a chance even if he did get off to a bad start.

They usually need time to get their ideas over to the team and to keep them motivated. Time will tell. The main issue is the parasite who owns the club. No ambition, no interest in football, only in money.

The football authorities or even Government are going to have to do something soon otherwise Bury is just the beginning. I know others have gone to the wall. Where I live we have had problems at Blackpool, Bolton and Bury. Not sure how Rochdale, Oldham and Preston are getting on.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:55 PM

As for that foul, I’d have been disappointed if one of our lads had committed it and got a red, definitely a yellow though.

• Paully

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:55 PM

Munster getting his nightly Rafa dig in, several times a day, every day…you’re a prick man.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:08 PM

Eleven players doubtful for the weekend. How have we do quickly gone from one of the best injury records in the league to the worst? So many of them seem to be muscle tears and strains, too.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:10 PM

Have to say, I always thought Geordie Two was a Mountie.

Not extracting the urine, I honestly did.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:12 PM

EGB, I bet you were as pleased as I was to see young Matty on that field last night. Looks like we’ll have to wait a bit longer to see him play alongside his brother, but it’s surely a matter of time.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:17 PM

Jane from last night, I was wondering about brothers who’d represented NUFC at senior level in the same team. Half the lads on that list never made a first team appearance.

I was fairly sure it was the Ameobis, was really wondering if there had been anyone else since the Robledos. It’s obviously pretty rare, anyway.

Of course, the Longstaffs have a famous footballing uncle in Alan Thompson and their dad played ice hockey for Great Britain, so there’s a canny sporting heritage there already.

• Bruce

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:18 PM

Rafa Sucks

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:18 PM

Rob

Sounds like he had a good game as well, I’ll be surprised if they both don’t get England U23 call ups this season with Sean perhaps getting into the full England team as well.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:20 PM

I think of that had been a League game, we’d have been fairly happy with a point be Leicester, having been competitive throughout the match. Our defence seemed to cope pretty well with Jamie Vardy who is a tricky customer. I’m actually surprised he was playing, but that shows how much Brendan Rogers wanted to win the game.

That we stick with them with our second string is promising.

• Bruce

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:21 PM

Another win this weekend to shut the moaners up.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:21 PM

Whoah Lancelot. Steady lad. Ah, where was I? Oh yes, just getting ready for this year’s Musical Ride. And whatever made you think I was a Mountie Rob? Just a second, somebody’s trying to knick me saddle. Right back……

• Bruce

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Praising them in one match, following match slagging them off saying they are rubbish.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:23 PM

I hope so bill, it’s been a while since we had a true born Geordie in the England team. I’m just dying to see how they can control or midfield for us.

Someone mentioned Hayden not getting a call up, I’d rather get him signed up to a new deal first so his head doesn’t get turned in January.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Most of the other managers chew!

In fact I often wondered if big Sam had some bovine DNA in his make up.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Stop right there Bruce! Right then, show me you hands. We’re going to have to take you in for head coach pandering….. a terrible thing to see on here.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Lol G2, I honestly have no idea.

Always struck me as a canny life, eh?

😉

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:27 PM

Are hippos bovine? If so, then definitely

• GeordieTwo

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:27 PM

A terrible tackle and Choudhury suggests Ritchie made it worse by pulling out early? Should have been a straight red.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:28 PM

Rob

Issac certainly has taken on a new footballing lease of life since the second half of last season.

He’s as good, if not better as some of the present England squad, how about an England midfield with him and the Longstaffs! 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:30 PM

You know what Monty Python said about Mounties don’t you Rob? Them and lumberjacks. We’re a proud lot. My brother actually was a tree faller. Hahaha. It’s true. They finally booted him because he wouldn’t follow the safety regs. Just as well I think.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:32 PM

If you’re ever in Chemainus look him up for me will you Rob? We never did get along…

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:32 PM

G2

Didn’t do chain saw juggling by any chance did he?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:34 PM

G2

Did you mean tree fella, not a good thing to be a tree fallar as a lumberjack? 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:36 PM

Rob

Big Sam always looked as if he was chewing the cud during matches!

• one fine day

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:36 PM

50/ 50 my arse
    He was the pick of afew targeting Richie after he had gone in a bit hard on Maddison ,who while I like as a player is clearly a bit of a bellend.
    Even Leicester fans are saying he is getting reputation for ‘doing’ players .
    Hope he is in the side for the league games ….shear can be a sneaky sort of player when he needs to be 🙂

• lochinvar

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:40 PM

Wonder where their money went ?
    Wonder where the NUFC money went ?
    Wonder who will buy this business ?

Five-a-side football pitch operator Goals Soccer Centres has put itself up for sale, as it continues to face the fallout from an accounting scandal.
    The struggling company, which is part-owned by Sports Direct’s Mike Ashley, said it was now inviting bids for its business and assets.
    Earlier this month, Goals said it had uncovered “improper behaviour” related to its accounts dating back to 2010.
    Its former chief executive and finance chief are now under investigation.
    Keith Rogers and Bill Gow are accused of mis-stating “historic financial statements” and leaving the company owing £12m in unpaid tax.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:40 PM

Every day’s a school day. Chemainus is not in actual fact a medical condition brought on by careless use of household detergents around the nether regions, it is in fact a rather pleasant looking town on Vancouver Island.

And hippos are more closely related to whales than to any other creature.

Who knew?

• bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:42 PM

Rafa sucks toffees and is a great manager. The evidence is there for all to see. Don’t talk to people about opinions without hard evidence to prove what you are saying. Otherwise, just shut up!

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Paully you remind me of a 15 year old snowflake. Where do I “put the boot” into rafa with my comment that I dont think he wud have done better ? You are just looking for moral outrage . Its called an opinion , fool.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:46 PM

Think I’d better take another look at the foul, my 1st impression that it was definitely a yellow not a red but I wasn’t at the game so can’t really judge it.

• lochinvar

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:47 PM

Rob@10
    Injuries….It may be just a fluke, I guess. Or it could be a sign of something going terribly wrong on the training field.

Like Bruce sending the players on a marathon run at the start of the season to show who’s the hard man.
    None of your namby pamby graduated training programs here laddie. You know the ones that help build up fitness and strength and reduce the risk of injury.

Or it could be the grass at Benton.
    Ashley should have had it replaced with the new fangled hybrid grass that we have on the pitch.
    Or maybe Ashley should have had built the new Training facility and provide new deluxe wheelie bins with those with the 4×4 wheels and build in head sets for chilling to.

• bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:50 PM

Lochinvar, sounds just like every other company associated with the parasite.

• RobLeenio

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:51 PM

Lochinvar, yep you and I are on the same page. I’m all for giving Bruce a chance, but this spate of injuries is a concern. A new harsh training regime for a group of players amongst the fittest and hard working in the league last season may just have knocked them out of kilter