web analytics

Midfielder Issues Apology For Penalty That “Ruined Performance”

Jonjo Shelvey had an excellent game yesterday as he came back into a makeshift side against a very strong Leicester City. There wasn’t much between the two teams in what was a hard-fought game.

Both teams lacked cutting edge upfront and didn’t create too many chances. It was a fluky deflected goal that put Leicester City on top in the first half. Newcastle would tie the game on a long free-kick from Fabian Schar that Jetro Willems was able to somehow knock into the path of Yoshinori Muto, who slotted the ball into the net.

The goalkeepers didn’t have too much to do all night with very few shots on target. Though Shelvey did have a blistering long-range effort in the second half that forced a save from Kasper Schmeichel.

However, the game went down to penalties where the team that keeps their nerve generally comes out on top. Schmeichel was able to save two penalties while Karl Darlow just one. That was the difference in the match.

Jonjo Shelvey and Isaac Hayden both took weak penalties, but that sometimes is just the way it is. Jonjo, though, has taken it upon himself to issue an apology for a penalty that he has called shocking.

Matthew Raisbeck with BBC Newcastle has tweeted Jonjo’s full apology to the fans.

You can tell from the audio that Jonjo is quite upset about his miss. It’s good of him to show contrition, but these things happen. He could have been a little less lackadaisical in his approach to the penalty, but he had a good performance overall.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Was interesting listening to the commentator on Sky Sports talking about Shelvey hes always going to be a player who divides opinion as she said he can do some great things but then loses possession in key areas and gives away silly fouls one of which cost us a goal !!

• IrishRob

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Ike Turner.

• IrishRob

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Tina was simply the best, better than all the rest, Ike was always second best!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Shelley is the good the bad and the ugly of Newcastle United.
    Good – last night like couple of chip/flick passes out of defence to set us going and one cross filed ball .
    Bad – won a tackle then passed to one of their players across our box which they nearly scored from
    Ugly – his penalty

yeah Someone mentioned on the bus home how far Kasperschit was of his line for the penalties

• Sliema

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Shelvey is a huge liability like. Everyone knows he can ping the ball the length and width of the field and have it land on a sixpence, but it’s not enough, the rest of his game is god awful. He has no mobility, he takes too long to decide what to do with the ball, he gets tackled with ease. I don’t see his career going anywhere from here. He’s at the peak already and it’s nowt special.

• IrishRob

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Shelvey is the Fùk off you’re not wanted “of Newcastle United” hes the exact player I hate. The one you cant trust to play regularly and if you do you end up regretting it 7-8 times out of 10.

• IrishRob

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:23 PM

Ooh ontop of that hes also a bit of a scumbag when he wants to be. I’d take 12M for him without batting an eyelid.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:27 PM

I think the issue with Shelvey is the premiership advances so quickly that in a season or two he just doesn’t have the all round game that other midfielders have!

You look around at all the teams in the league and no one has a player like Shelvey now in terms of what he offers off the ball every team has fast midfielders who press and can tackle properly but most importantly the majority of them have pretty good technical skills now maybe a move to a slower league would suit him such as Italy?

It was no coincidence that Rafa was phasing him out imagine we had kept Wijnaldum rather than Shelvey for example?

• geordietom

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:42 PM

has jib got a avatar …

whats up mate peer pressure ( the frog got to you ) …

or are you just pissed at people saying you have loads of alts …

;0 😀

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:46 PM

The easiest way for players who don’t normally take penalties is to practice hitting it hard and high into the top corner.

Time and again, exactly as last night with Shelvey and Hayden, you see players who aren’t used to taking penalties hit it low and about a metre off the ground and without much pace. If the keeper guesses right it’s an easy save and often they don’t have to guess because there is no real attempt at fooling the keeper.

A guy called John Bradley, who was on the coaching staff at North Shields when they won the Amateur Cup in 1969, gave me that penalty advice and it never let me down in 50+ penalties in competitive games.

One my biggest regrets in life, never mind football, is that I was the penalty taker for a friendly match in the early 70’s between Francis Lee’s All Stars and Makro where I worked at the time. Makro were huge in those days with 6 mega stores in the UK and one of Lee’s first big accounts for his growing business was for Makro’s own label toilet rolls and kitchen towels.

As part of Makro’s 5th anniversary celebrations the match was held at Altrincham’s ground and Lee’s team included international and World Cup winners Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee, Roger Hunt, Paddy Crerand, Bill Foulkes, Lee and a 15 minute appearance from the great George Best.

There was packed crowd of over 10,000 and I knew we would get a penalty and I couldn’t wait to see if my tried, trusted and never failed penalty technique could beat Harry Gregg who had recently been replaced as the Man U keeper by Alex Stepney.

Sure enough, early in the second half my mate Steve Prince, a cracking CF, got fouled and the whistle blew.

I had prepared for this moment for weeks and I was as calm as could be as I went up to collect the ball.

My younger brother, a pro at Burnley at the time, my Dad and my uncle were in the crowd.

But…..

As I went to take the ball off Steve he kept hold of it and said “let me take it, I got fouled”.

The ref came over, pushed me out of the way and told Steve to get on with it.

He did, and hit it straight at Harry Gregg.

I was gutted then, and seriously, I am still gutted to this day.

Other memories of that game are Bobby Charlton moaning like a drain every time he got tackled and not staying for photo’s after the game, Denis Law scoring an unbelievable overhead kick, our goalie getting knocked out by a Francis Lee shot from close range that hit him full in the face and Paddy Crerand flattening me after I’d tried a nutmeg on Roger Hunt.

You would never ever get today’s top pro’s taking part in a match like that.

• Rob1971

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Charlie Nicholas has taken us to win 1:0, I hope he isn’t a jinx like Lawrenson & Merson, I wonder why they have taken Merson off the predictions?

• Moonraker15

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:50 PM

NO creative player NEVER loses possession, even the greats like David Silva etc.
    Stop knocking Shelvey he’s still our best player but unfortunately we don’t have enough quality up front yet to make the most of his passes. If you see the speed and power of the passes in the best teams, you have to have great quality to take the passes otherwise it becomes lost possession. Give him a break; there we’re those who hated HBA but boy what would we give for him now?

• Jib

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:55 PM

geordietom
    It was pissing me off that I couldn’t do it
    I got in touch with WordPress and a change of e-mail
    did it – apparently there are some email providers that
    they don’t work with.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:56 PM

I wouldn’t give tuppence for HBA

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:59 PM

I can see why people think Shelvey doesn’t fit into the team, but let’s not forget he was our player of the season in the championship and was voted 2nd best player in our first year up. He was also one of our best players against arsenal while he was on the pitch. A three man midfield with a number ten (4 man midfield?) Is a waste of players, but he could work alongside Hayden or Longstaff. Trouble is they’re doing well.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:27 PM

What was the final score, Bills son?

• IrishRob

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Lol jib gave in to peer pressure! That’s so lame. Jib I respected the fact you were one of the few not to bother with it. But then you gave into peer pressure.

• geordietom

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:31 PM

JIB …

you have one now might shut the GREEN THING up …

• Moonraker15

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:38 PM

Jib
    Re HBA
    Nor would I now! I meant when he was in his prime! We now have ASM who aspires to be HBA!

• catchy in norway

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:47 PM

Anne may bullock

• catchy in norway

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:48 PM

I still would play Shelvey, he is our best player

• Bills Son Is Back

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:53 PM

The next Mike Williamson – the final score was 9-0 to Lee’s team.

You can tell by the fact we scored 0 that it was actually quite a competitive game.

We had 6 mega stores of staff to call on and our team was made up of players from a high level of amateur leagues.

Obviously Lee’s team were past their best, and |I doubt they played at anything like full tilt, but I still remember how quick they moved the ball and how difficult it was to get close to the player in possession.

They also kept just about the same team for the whole of the game and we brought on a lot of subs to give guys a chance of saying they’d took part – that also probably helped us to keep up with the pace of the game.

I played in midfield and watching Colin Bell spraying the ball around at close quarters was magic. I was determined to get a tackle in but never got near him all match.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:57 PM

Oh no !!!
    I don’t have Irish Rob’s respect !!!!
    How am going to live with that ?

• IrishRob

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:15 PM

Jib dont try to be smart just because you bottled it.

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:16 PM

I bet Bobby Charlton and Colin Bell still reminisce about that Makro midfielder Bills son, haha.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:21 PM

Irish Rob
    Please Please Please Please Please Please
    Please Please Please Please Please Please
    Please Please Please Please Please Please
    Please Please Please Please Please Please

Give me your respect – it means SO much to me !

• The next Mike Williamson

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:22 PM

Rob1971,
    I assume your being sarcastic about why Mersons not on predictions. I’ve often wondered why he was on them. Really they should get some bloke who’s made a fortune from Ladbrokes to make the predictions. I don’t want to know what Lawrenson or Merson think will happen.

• hibbit

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Interesting fact Irish Rob & Tony Baloney both claim to be members of Mensa ?? 😉

• DubaiMicky

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:42 PM

****Not NUFC Related****

Just want to say, whoever it was that said to I think it was “The Wife”, about watching George Gently, thanks, I’m on series 5 now and apart from decent stories it’s great spotting places where it was filmed.

Thanks.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM

DubauMicky
    Same with Vera

• Tony Baloney

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Hibbit: I never said I was a member of Mensa.

• Jib

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Dubai even

• Tony Baloney

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:50 PM

I have absolutely no interest in solving stupid little puzzle tricks and wearing black rimmed glasses.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Well there’s my ‘Martoon’ prediction bugg£red from the off! 🙁

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Doesn’t appear to be any gravatar’s on the earliest thread comments but I’m 99% certain that the bill comment was by me, despite one other spurious claim. 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:03 PM

And although I’ve not seen any highlights as yet it looks (from blog comments) that the refs cartel is still very much in force and is giving us nowt.

It’s hard to beat 12 men!!!

• Our Toon

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Shelvey is very far from being our best player, he’s a decent midfielder at best who doesn’t have enough impact in key areas both defensive or in an attacking sense.

He wouldnt even make it into my starting xi, he has all the right attributes, his problem is that he prefers to play far to deep, if he got further up the pitch he would have more impact and he could be a much better player but he prefers collecting the ball of cbs and starting attacks by pinging it for that exceptional pass.

• IrishRob

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:37 PM

Lol no jib sorry u just cant do it!!