web analytics

Bruce Will Not Take The Support For Granted

One thing we noticed yesterday was that St James Park had a lot of empty seats. In fact, it was not our eyes deceiving us as yesterday’s official attendance was 44,157.

That attendance is the lowest since December 3, 2012 when we broke a long winless streak by defeating Wigan 3-0, with an early Demba Ba brace followed by a second-half goal by Gael Bigirimana. The attendance that day was 43,858.

Steve Bruce was asked about the low attendance yesterday, and the Chronicle has published his response:

“Look, all I can do is try to get on with my job.

“We can never take for granted the support this great club has got.

“All I can do is just hopefully going onwards and upwards with the team and the supporters, I’m sure they’ll be back when we win a few games.”

“What are we? One point behind Chelsea and one point behind Manchester United or something, is it?

“There you go, it hasn’t been such a bad start after all.”

We are glad that Steve Bruce will not take the support for granted. It is something that should never be underestimated. While a crowd of this size will do little to affect Ashley, it is a sign of a fed-up fanbase.

All Steve Bruce can do is his job. He is right that if he can get the team to win consistently, then the crowd size will go back up.

While it was a tough start to the season with games against Arsenal and away to Tottenham, four points from twelve is a bit underwhelming. It is by no means a bad start, but it’s not going to be enough to tempt some fans back just yet.

What the team have shown over these first five games, including the cup, is that they are Premier League quality. They should have enough about them to stay in the league fairly comfortably.

That is where the problem lies for many fans. It would be mission accomplished for Mike Ashley to finish where we currently lie in 14th place.

Some fans want more and just don’t see that happening under this owner. So they have decided to stay away. If Bruce can over-perform and have the team solidly in the top ten, that may help to change some minds. The jury is still out on this season, and results will be the deciding factor for most.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:58 AM

Jib,
    What do you mean about Manquillo being a foreign FB taking time to adjust to the PL? He had two stints in the PL before joining us.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:59 AM

Top ten what are you on about. Top ten would be the equivalent of Leicester winning the league (or nearly lol).

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM

Wow ignore that last comment think I’m going crazy as thought Neil had wrote a top ten finish in his article. Back to bed for me.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM

As for Kraft I’m not sure why they’ve bought him. He doesn’t seem like a WB at all. It’s obviously been discussed with the recruitment team for awhile that the RB position needs upgrading so it looks like they’ve gone down Nickson’s list until he cropped up. I’m sure a manager who had a choice would say well he’s no better than what we’ve got, but when it’s Lee Churnley making the decision then as Jib says 20 Swedish caps and only 5M then it’s a no brainer, we now have three RB’s who seem no better than each other and two aren’t even wing backs. I can only presume they tried to offload Manquillo or Yedlin in the summer.

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:06 AM

Jail for Ashley
    10 games for LPool and 20 for the filth
    when they ended up 20th in the PL
    wow

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:10 AM

Posada you really are a one eyed poisonous presence on this blog. 44k there yesterday – officially – including season ticket holders not taking their seats which was visually evident. Even at 44k that’s 15% down in the real world. Not on Twitter. In the ground, now stripped of those seemingly primarily responsible for creating the atmosphere. If we banded together and stepped away temporarily it would be unsustainable to Ashley to stay. Did you see the England game played behind closed doors. It was horrific. TV would not want that. Let’s face it it’s the only thing within our gift to do. I would say it’s a question of personal pride. I don’t like somebody urinating on me which is what our supreme leader is doing. As I’ve said before the absolutely disgusting sale of Strawberry Place to his son-in-law shining a bright light on what is asset stripping of the club limiting our future should be enough for anybody to say enough.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:11 AM

Krafth is a decent purchase you can see what he’s about. No doubt Yedlin will be first choice when back and rightly so. Manquillo was the worlds worst defender pretty much throughout his career however he seems to have come into a bit of form with recent performances.

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:12 AM

I don’t think it’s the boycotters nor the social media crowd staying away that are the cause for concern, if general fans start staying away and SJP becomes a ghost ship then that will affect the players.
    Something needs to happen to make people want to go back – maybe another buyer will turn up soon 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:13 AM

30 games Jib, nearly a full season.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM

This boycott rubbish is a load of tosh. We still pull in a bigger gate than most of the Ptem sides. The money is in the league/Tv funding.

• JohnJ

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM

Newcastle United are my team and I always want them to win but it’ll be a big sigh of relief, from me, once that magic number of forty has been achieved! Am I optimistic usually I am yes but I keep having niggling little doubts.

I would have felt happier had we taken a point off Arsenal & Norwich and a win yesterday and that would have had us nicely placed on 8 points with a bit more wriggle room. But…… It’s early days so we shall see!

• dougie

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM

Was at the match yesterday and it was like a morgue,very poor atmosphere.We witnessed two very poor teams that will be scrapping for survival.Almiron is championship quality,couldn’t hit a barn door.Joelinton looked decent but he’s not an out and out goalscorer.Dont know where the goals in this squad are going to come from.Longstaff was poor again,he’s nowhere near premier league quality but I think he will be in a year or two.As for the rest of them you get what you pay for but as long as we are 17th or higher the parasite will be happy.Bruce will be gone by Christmas and we will be bottom 3.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:15 AM

Prem*

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:15 AM

Nether Yedlin nor Manquillo are conventional old school
    4 – 4 – 2 solid RB’s – Krafth looks as if he’ll be in that mould
    once he adjusts.

• lochinvar

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Jane@1 previous

jane

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM
    “The prem have decided to interpret it their own way and the linesmen have still been instructed to flag, even if it’s tight.”
    but can the player play on and if he scores and it goes to VAR will it be a goal?

That apart as with Almerions booking surely the only rule that matters is the ref’s use of the whistle – play to the whistle.
    No whistle, carry on playing, pass it, strike it, put in out for a throw in or put the ball into the net must be no booking even if a Linesman’s flagged as he might be wrong.

No whistle, game on.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:16 AM

There you go clear example of a poster who is completely clueless in Dougie.

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:17 AM

JohnJ
    You do realise that if we’d got the results you’d hoped for
    we’d be 4th in the league !

• jane

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:20 AM

“Did you see the England game played behind closed doors. It was horrific.”

it wouldn’t be like that though because the away fans would still make a lot of noise 🙂

• lochinvar

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:20 AM

Trent1211
    As I’ve said before the absolutely disgusting sale of Strawberry Place to his (Ashley’s) son-in-law shining a bright light on what is asset stripping of the club limiting our future should be enough for anybody to say enough.

and didn’t I read that Ashley is paying said son in law who has no commercial experience of relevance or note the sum of £10million as a salary ?

Thats a good way to pass on some money. Is it ours ?

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:22 AM

dougie
    Was at the match yesterday
    I think dougie’s pants may be on fire

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:22 AM

Nufc-83
    If Yedlin will no doubt be first choice and rightly so what was the point in buying Kraft, surely the aim was to upgrade on a player bought when in the Championship, do you think he would have been bought if we’d survived that year and were managed properly.

• jane

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:22 AM

does the ref have to blow his whistle if the assistant ref is flagging for off-side?

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:23 AM

Jail,
    I think Krath was brought in so we can revert to 4 at the back if we need to. But having six fullbacks for this reason is stupid. We should just get ones who can play both as a wingback and fullback.

• ArtyH

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:24 AM

I am sure most ” FANS ” will agree that no one cares how much the owner makes from the club, as long as there is ambition and commitment to the club, fans and city! The unfortunate truth is the exact opposite which will now see the efforts of the real fans stepped up to the extent where it will be untenable for current regimen to remain. Presently this is no way to run a football club and the real fans know it and are demonstrating their descision by staying away. I am sure there are a few that have been willing to give it a go for a few games this season, unfortunately apart from the spurs flook the writing is on the wall. A leopard never changes it spots and the toon army know it, from here on in it will be very interesting to see how the gates are at St.James park….I know many people who get tickets from work or buy at the gate just to take a family member for a birthday or a treat, never thinking they are adding another nail into the coffin of a once great club. All they proceed to do is delay the inevitable and put coppers in the fat mans pocket so he can laugh at those stupid Geordies who would pay to watch monkeys in a black and white strip. You reap what you sow in life so all you ” fans ” who currently infest the home games….have at it and kill the club so it can be rebuilt by someone who cares…..because the current incumbent certainly does not!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:25 AM

Jib,
    If Kraft is an old fashioned style RB why has he been bought when we’re playing with wing backs. It’s because as you say he has 20 caps and was 5M pounds.

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM

Jail
    We bought Krafth for something that is beyond your ken.
    Variation

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:29 AM

Jail it’s clearly to strengthen the fullback position as in the squad. Manquillo has been god awful for years and Krafth looks a solid if unspectacular purchase.

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:31 AM

You see the PR at work ?

Their opinions arnt based in reality

Just wait and see what lies they have to come up with once we start to really struggle

Who do you think he will pretend to sell us to next time?

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:31 AM

Hiya JIms Benwell

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM

Who would have guessed that you needed a new email
    Hahahahaha

• one fine day

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Nufc 83
    Don’t think the boycott is about money go Ashley
    It’s about embarrassing Ashley and showing him that without the fans he treats with utter contempt the club he owns is nothing .
    He can go out and buy a token signing of 60 mil but without the fans this club is two thirds of f@uck all.
    So those staying away know that not going to game matters little to his large pocket ..its when more and more media start seeing st James park as never before to start asking the question why ?
    It’s not like he has listened to fans in the past so many feel this is the only option left

• ronaldo aarons

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Just putting it out there but 12 years under Mike Ashley (2007-2018) our tv money accounts for 54% and our match day income accounts for 25%.

It’s not something that can be dismissed at all since it’s 25% of over 1.2 billion.

Even then, going by many reports that tv money has peaked and will either plateau or decrease at the next round of bidding for the rights, the average tv money income over the 12 year period is about 56m.

• dougie

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Lol nufc 83,where do you think we’ll be at Christmas?Do you think we’ll score plenty of goals?Are you happy with what you’ve seen so far,are you happy with Sports Direct FC.

• magpie6699

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Am I the only one who is fed up with the name-calling on this blog? I want to read football opinions of all kinds, not just people accusing others of being this or that. I respect the opinion of the people who think we should stay away, although personally I don’t think Ashley could give a rat’s about it as the Sky money gets banked. I will not stop supporting the team I’ve followed since my dad first took me (a la Sir Bobby quote) over 60 years ago. I will, however, refuse to go near a Sports Direct shop. I’m sure that will send a chill down Ashley’s spine (not!)
    I sincerely wish he would sell up to someone who understands what a Premiership football club with potentially 50K+ fans should be about. Meanwhile, HWTL!

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM

Let’s all be nice to each other and just cheer the lads while the fat man rapes the club. No.

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM

The doom and gloom on here knows no bounds.

We’ve got 4pts, 3 more than last season, we’ve played two of the top 6 and beaten one of them away, something we didn’t do last season.

It makes me wonder how the reaction would have been if Rafa had got 4pts last season from four games and Bruce had only 1 and three defeats. It’s not hard to guess.

As for yesterday’s game, we started off attacking, playing a high line as most wanted and got caught out for the second time in consecutive games with an unlucky ricochet that gifted the oppo a goal. Sheer bad luck.

And, I just don’t agree that the first half was dire.

We showed more attacking intent, even in that first half, than we did in a ton of home games last season. I’m not saying it was brilliant but it wasn’t the ten men behind the ball and leaving Rondon to battle on his own when a long ball was knocked out.

Watford obviously took confidence from that early goal and neither side defended deep which meant the game was quite open and end to end. The equaliser spurred us on and apart from the last 10 minutes we dominated the second half and Watford couldn’t have complained if we’d nicked it.

I’ve just watched MOTD and usually 80% of the attacking play features the oppo in our games but it was the opposite today and most of that came from the first half. Those saying it was dire are imo exaggerating simply to fire arrows at Bruce.

As for individual players;

Almiron needs to come good quick in that centre role or he has to be played wide. It’s a shame that ASM has been injured as it may be that he could be the best to play off Jo. If that is the case, and Atsu keeps performing as he has in the last two games, Almiron could be the one to be left out.

Jo’s all round game was again good but there were too many balls played up high and seeing as he never won one against their CB’s why the hell did we keep playing them?

For those knocking Longstaff, he’s been overhyped. That’s not to say he isn’t a very good player, he is, but he is a ‘take it and give it’ player who is getting closed down quicker now that he is known. He’s getting caught in possession more because of that and he has the close control to adjust and I’m sure he’ll be a mainstay of the team.

Willems impressed me. He stuck to his position and was composed every time he received the ball and passed it well and intelligently. If he isn’t yet fully match fit he could really come on and establish himself as first choice during Ritchie’s absence.

I also thought Lascelles, as at Spurs, was back to near his best being the mid in a back 3/5 is defo his best position.

My summary on the game,

As others have said, I quite enjoyed it and you can see the team tried to play a more attacking style whilst retaining the shape of Rafa’s system. The key to getting more out of the attack is either Almiron upping his game or Atsu or ASM coming good there.

Seeing so many empty seats was the downside but I get that many are staying away more because of Ashley than the team. If we start putting a few results together hopefully they’ll come back.

It’s my clickety click birthday today.

66.

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM

Not about the team. Not about points scraped together to survive. Not really about our woefully under equipped manager. It’s bigger than that. Concentrating just on the games is like eating ice cream in a restaurant where rats are running around freely, flies are everywhere and there is a rotting smell saying “This tastes nice!” Implore people to set aside their personal enjoyment of match going for the greater good. Proliferation of “doomsters” is because Ashley is our doom. God only knows how he’s picking the carcass of the club behind the scenes. Strawberry place flavoured ice-cream. I can’t stomach the taste.

• beefman13

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:47 AM

It’s weird not going to the match, but I’m sort of numbed to it, this summers activities on Barrack Road shook me to the core, and unfortunately for me until the club gets sold I’m not going back, and in a way when I saw our away supporters last week with their delirious celebrations after our win v spurs, I just thought they are in a totally different league and their support was incredible, I cannot bring myself to that, getting kicked in the stones like we did was the lowest point I can remember as a toon fan, I’m separated from my club, gutted, but they arnt conning me like they did anymore.

• jon.c

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Trent 1211 get a life grass is not not always greener on the other side

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:16 PM

No matter how you look at it using 6 fullbacks when your squad only has about 23 outfield players is crazy, especially when none of them are amazing.