web analytics

“I’m Just Doing My Job” Says Standout Performer Against Watford

We were really impressed with Jetro Willems both on Wednesday evening against Leicester City and yesterday against Watford. That is two starts in a row where he has put in excellent performances.

It couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for both the Dutchman and Newcastle. Jetro will be getting a lot of appearances over the next two months as Matt Ritchie recovers from his ankle injury.

If he can contribute like he did yesterday, then Newcastle should be in decent shape at left-back.

Jetro Willems– looks a very good addition

Jetro bombed down the left flank all day and put in a few lethal crosses. He linked up very well with Christian Atsu, who also has put in another top performance.

Jetro has given an interview to the Newcastle United website about his first Premier League start.

This is some of what he has said:

“I think we should have won it. It’s unlucky, because we had some chances, and they didn’t create something – it was an unlucky goal. It was early in the game, but we tied it.

“And after, I think we showed them that we were better, even on the counter-attack. They were only defending. They only played long balls. We should win this one, and then we are in a great position.

“We have had some progress. I think if you saw the first game, it was a miscommunication and we lost. But in the first half, I think we were better.

“Against Norwich, it was something that can happen. And after, against Tottenham, we were in shape. And now we keep going, and we are in good shape.

“Of course, of course. I am not 100 percent fit yet because my last (full game) was last season, and I want to show more. But for the time, I’m satisfied.

“I’m trying to do my best, that’s the only thing I want. And to give the fans what they deserve, and what they come for. I want to show myself also, but it’s my job. I’m just doing my job.”

The team will take a two-week break as EURO Qualifiers get underway. Jetro will jet back to Frankfurt to collect some items that he has not been able to since joining Newcastle. This is what he said about the timing of the break:

“For me, it’s the right time to get some rest and organize my things, because I’m new here and it was a little bit chaotic!

“I came from the training camp of my old club, then came here and I couldn’t go back. So, for me, it’s a good and right time.”

Unfortunately for Jetro, he is currently not in the plans of The Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman. Though if he continues to put in performances, he can force his way back into the Dutch squad.

Incidentally, The Netherlands face Germany on Friday and feature three former Magpies in their squad in Georginio Wijnaldum, Luuk de Jong, and Patrick van Aanholt.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Draw Against Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM

Hiya Jim’s Benwell

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Do you honestly believe for a minute that when going down Nickson’s list that Lee Churnley took the fact that Kraft is more of an old fashioned type of RB that would give us something different. Gawd help us.

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Charnley has nowt to do with it
    He just fronts it up and does what he’s told

• ronaldo aarons

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Just putting it out there but 12 years under Mike Ashley (2007-2018) our tv money accounts for 54% and our match day income accounts for 25%.

It’s not something that can be dismissed at all since it’s 25% of over 1.2 billion.

Even then, going by many reports that tv money has peaked and will either plateau or decrease at the next round of bidding for the rights, the average tv money income over the 12 year period is about 56m.

• magpie6699

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM

magpie6699
    Sep 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    Am I the only one who is fed up with the name-calling on this blog? I want to read football opinions of all kinds, not just people accusing others of being this or that. I respect the opinion of the people who think we should stay away, although personally I don’t think Ashley could give a rat’s about it as the Sky money gets banked. I will not stop supporting the team I’ve followed since my dad first took me (a la Sir Bobby quote) over 60 years ago. I will, however, refuse to go near a Sports Direct shop. I’m sure that will send a chill down Ashley’s spine (not!)
    I sincerely wish he would sell up to someone who understands what a Premiership football club with potentially 50K+ fans should be about. Meanwhile, HWTL!

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Jail Krafth is a solid Rb who improves the squad as a whole what’s your bloody issue? Last season we had starry on the bench at times and he don’t make the grade at league 1 level.

• lesh

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:37 AM

Posada

‘When you want your club to fail are you still a supporter?

Certainly not. Do you really think that fans really want to see the club fail? I don’t.

But I do believe that the club will never succeed as long as Ashley owns it and by religiously turning up to games, you’re turning up to watch it fail. It’s dying and Ashley’s choking it and by blindly offering your support, subsidising SD, you’re watching it happen.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Ronaldo yes the full attendance money is a significant amount but do we really think there will be anything under 35k?

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Sterry*

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Posada is an alt of JIB

Or should I say Jim ?

• ronaldo aarons

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Jury is still out for me about Krafth. I never knew anything about him before he came to us but get he is adjusting to the league so will pass judgment on him for now. He wasn’t my choice of right back but we did need one considering we only have manquillo fit. Who knows how long it will take yedlin to actually get up to speed again, he’s only recently returned to training.

It is worrying though that for Sweden he has been second choice behind Lustig. I had my preferences for a new right who wouldn’t have cost much more but it does seem like Krafth was the cheap option. Still, too early to judge him unless posters have seen him play before and know what he’s about,

• ronaldo aarons

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:42 AM

Sorry nufc83, I don’t quite follow.

My point was more around the idea of match day income being easily dismissed when it’s actually a very significant amount.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:42 AM

Nufc-83,
    Because we needed an upgrade on the FB position not another squad player. Surely a top quality RB who is a threat in the opposition box can be told to be a bit more defensive in certain games, would you drop Trent Arnold to bring in a more old fashioned type defender for certain games. No, you’d tell him to curtail is forays up top of necessary. We can’t tell Kraft to suddenly start making sprints up in to the opposition box can we.

• one fine day

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:42 AM

From previous
    Nufc 83
    This boycott rubbish is a load of tosh. We still pull in a bigger gate than most of the Ptem sides. The money is in the ….
    Don’t think the boycott is about money go Ashley
    It’s about embarrassing Ashley and showing him that without the fans he treats with utter contempt the club he owns is nothing .
    He can go out and buy a token signing of 60 mil but without the fans this club is two thirds of f@uck all.
    So those staying away know that not going to game matters little to his large pocket ..its when more and more media start seeing st James park as never before to start asking the question why ?
    It’s not like he has listened to fans in the past so many feel this is the only option left

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:44 AM

Ronaldo you can judge him based on his current performances. He’s clearly a Gary Neville type Fb who will never be jaw dropping. He’s probably the best RB defensively we have and does a decent enough job on the ball. Yedlin will take his slot when playing the current formation but gives us good options.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Ronaldo yes I get what your saying but your using the total amount of attendance money when truth be told the majority will still be there even if playing in league 2.

• lesh

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Posada

Did I read you right in an earlier post that you were hugging the ticket sales up in the hope that more would turn up?

If I have read it right, then you were pushing out misinformation, cheerleading, doing what Bishop’s paid to do – cheerleading for Ashley?

Please tell me I’m wrong

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:48 AM

Jail so what your saying then is every player we bring in needs to be better than what we have? Why did Liverpool bring in Adrian when they have Allison?

• dougie

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:48 AM

Fair play to Willems,he was the best player on the park.Krafth is bang average,no way an upgrade on the other 2.We need a CM,winger and striker in January to survive and they have to have done well in the prem or another top league.Wheres the money gone Jabba.

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM

The doom and gloom on here knows no bounds.

We’ve got 4pts, 3 more than last season, we’ve played two of the top 6 and beaten one of them away, something we didn’t do last season.

It makes me wonder how the reaction would have been if Rafa had got 4pts last season from four games and Bruce had only 1 and three defeats. It’s not hard to guess.

As for yesterday’s game, we started off attacking, playing a high line as most wanted and got caught out for the second time in consecutive games with an unlucky ricochet that gifted the oppo a goal. Sheer bad luck.

And, I just don’t agree that the first half was dire.

We showed more attacking intent, even in that first half, than we did in a ton of home games last season. I’m not saying it was brilliant but it wasn’t the ten men behind the ball and leaving Rondon to battle on his own when a long ball was knocked out.

Watford obviously took confidence from that early goal and neither side defended deep which meant the game was quite open and end to end. The equaliser spurred us on and apart from the last 10 minutes we dominated the second half and Watford couldn’t have complained if we’d nicked it.

I’ve just watched MOTD and usually 80% of the attacking play features the oppo in our games but it was the opposite today and most of that came from the first half. Those saying it was dire are imo exaggerating simply to fire arrows at Bruce.

As for individual players;

Almiron needs to come good quick in that centre role or he has to be played wide. It’s a shame that ASM has been injured as it may be that he could be the best to play off Jo. If that is the case, and Atsu keeps performing as he has in the last two games, Almiron could be the one to be left out.

Jo’s all round game was again good but there were too many balls played up high and seeing as he never won one against their CB’s why the hell did we keep playing them?

For those knocking Longstaff, he’s been overhyped. That’s not to say he isn’t a very good player, he is, but he is a ‘take it and give it’ player who is getting closed down quicker now that he is known. He’s getting caught in possession more because of that but he has the close control to adjust and I’m sure he’ll be a mainstay of the team.

Willems impressed me. He stuck to his position and was composed every time he received the ball and passed it well and intelligently. If he isn’t yet fully match fit he could really come on and establish himself as first choice during Ritchie’s absence.

I also thought Lascelles, as at Spurs, was back to near his best being the mid in a back 3/5 is defo his best position.

My summary on the game,

As others have said, I quite enjoyed it and you can see the team tried to play a more attacking style whilst retaining the shape of Rafa’s system. The key to getting more out of the attack is who plays off Jo and either Almiron upping his game or Atsu or ASM coming good there.

Seeing so many empty seats was the downside but I get that many are staying away more because of Ashley than the team. If we start putting a few results together hopefully they’ll come back.

It’s my clickety click birthday today.

66.

• lesh

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Whoops

@17

* Did I read you right in an earlier post that you were hugging the ticket sales

Should’ve read – *bigging up the ticket sales

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM

The money is there. We had around 100 mill to spend but we didn’t even have a manager and the players brought in where scouted in Rafa’s time.

• ronaldo aarons

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM

Nufc83
    I still don’t follow lol. Maybe I’m slow this morning.

I’m not knocking any of the attendances or money made the last 12 years. Just stating how much the club have made as a result under Ashley in comparison with tv money and total income.

• lesh

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM

Bills son

Have a good day.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM

Bills I think that’s a really fair assessment and good post although I would say Almiron is playing a wide right attacking midfielder role not a central role as you suggest.

• lesh

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:57 AM

Nufc83
    The players brought in probably were scouted in Rafa’s time but there are two questions arise:

Who scouted them and

Who decided to buy/ borrow them?

• hibbit

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:59 AM

lesh your talking to jib mate!!!!
    Posada is just figment of Jibs imagination, another way for him to stir the shit and causing as much damage to the blog as he can, which seems to be his sole aim in life,

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:00 AM

Lesh

The traitor said he was in control of transfers
    So it must have been him, while Rafa was still here and he was working at SW

Hiya Bills, with the “fair and balanced” rubbish

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:01 AM

Nufc-83,
    How can you compare a back up keeper to our full back situation. Yedlin was bought to get us out of the Championship, do you think he would have been bought if we’d survived and managed properly like a normal football club.

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:01 AM

NUFC-83

Correct about Almiron’s position but what I mean is he is the one tasked with going more central to play off Jo and he isn’t getting it right. Yet!

• lesh

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM

@26

I’ll reword a question….

Rather than ask ‘who decided to buy/ borrow them?’ I should’ve asked who decided they should be bought or borrowed them Who decided to buy/ borrow them?

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM

JIB dont just post his PR rubbish here

His FB page

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:04 AM

Not about the team. Not about points scraped together to survive. Not really about our woefully under equipped manager. It’s bigger than that. Concentrating just on the games is like eating ice cream in a restaurant where rats are running around freely, flies are everywhere and there is a rotting smell saying “This tastes nice!” Implore people to set aside their personal enjoyment of match going for the greater good. Proliferation of “doomsters” is because Ashley is our doom. God only knows how he’s picking the carcass of the club behind the scenes. Strawberry place flavoured ice-cream. I can’t stomach the taste.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:05 AM

Almiron was scouted and watched for a year and bought to fit a particular formation. Steve Bruce had never heard of him until six weeks ago.

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Who is actually choosing the players we buy ?

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Kraft getting dissed after four games.

We all know Yedlin and Manq are poor defenders and they’ve been called out by many on here for exactly that.

If I was Bruce I’d be telling Kraft to get used to the pace of the Prem, a huge step up from where he’s been playing, and concentrate on his defensive responsibilities first and ease his way in to getting forward.

Where Kraft falls short of Yedlin and Manq is in his pace, if he gets caught out he won’t get back as quick as the other two. Pace in getting back is also an underrated strength of Dummet’s.

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Cheers lesh.

• lesh

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:08 AM

hibbit

Posada’s Jib?

You’re becoming a right cynic in yet owld age -careful though or you’ll end up as bad as me!

I wouldn’t be surprised in the least!

He (Posada) comes across as a Daily Mail reading Kemal Johnson-Trump supporter – lonely, insecure, needy and believes whatever crap’s put in front of him

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM

too22 – Hiya Bills, with the “fair and balanced” rubbish.

Fair and balanced is defo what we don’t get from you.

I’m surprised the two words are even in your vocabulary.

1 2 3 7