web analytics

“I’m Just Doing My Job” Says Standout Performer Against Watford

We were really impressed with Jetro Willems both on Wednesday evening against Leicester City and yesterday against Watford. That is two starts in a row where he has put in excellent performances.

It couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for both the Dutchman and Newcastle. Jetro will be getting a lot of appearances over the next two months as Matt Ritchie recovers from his ankle injury.

If he can contribute like he did yesterday, then Newcastle should be in decent shape at left-back.

Jetro Willems– looks a very good addition

Jetro bombed down the left flank all day and put in a few lethal crosses. He linked up very well with Christian Atsu, who also has put in another top performance.

Jetro has given an interview to the Newcastle United website about his first Premier League start.

This is some of what he has said:

“I think we should have won it. It’s unlucky, because we had some chances, and they didn’t create something – it was an unlucky goal. It was early in the game, but we tied it.

“And after, I think we showed them that we were better, even on the counter-attack. They were only defending. They only played long balls. We should win this one, and then we are in a great position.

“We have had some progress. I think if you saw the first game, it was a miscommunication and we lost. But in the first half, I think we were better.

“Against Norwich, it was something that can happen. And after, against Tottenham, we were in shape. And now we keep going, and we are in good shape.

“Of course, of course. I am not 100 percent fit yet because my last (full game) was last season, and I want to show more. But for the time, I’m satisfied.

“I’m trying to do my best, that’s the only thing I want. And to give the fans what they deserve, and what they come for. I want to show myself also, but it’s my job. I’m just doing my job.”

The team will take a two-week break as EURO Qualifiers get underway. Jetro will jet back to Frankfurt to collect some items that he has not been able to since joining Newcastle. This is what he said about the timing of the break:

“For me, it’s the right time to get some rest and organize my things, because I’m new here and it was a little bit chaotic!

“I came from the training camp of my old club, then came here and I couldn’t go back. So, for me, it’s a good and right time.”

Unfortunately for Jetro, he is currently not in the plans of The Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman. Though if he continues to put in performances, he can force his way back into the Dutch squad.

Incidentally, The Netherlands face Germany on Friday and feature three former Magpies in their squad in Georginio Wijnaldum, Luuk de Jong, and Patrick van Aanholt.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Draw Against Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mag :P

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:14 AM

A word on Joelinton.

He’s going to be more of a team player then a goal scorer.

He’s already contributing to chances created which in turn will give more opportunities to our other attacking players. If Miggy could find his shooting boots then we would be in an even healthier position on the table.

With Saint max to come back aswell as Ritchie I don’t actually think we are going to struggle as much as first feared.

Just look at Joelinton performance yesterday, not one sniff of a chance yet he was instrumental in the build up of the goal, the chance for Muto, the chance for Willems to cross at the end and the chance for Almiron when he set Atsu running down the left after a good touch.

He’s going to be a big player for us, I just hope our other forwards can get some confidence on there own finishing abilities because when Joelinton does get his chances it wouldn’t surprise me if he finishes them.

Also, Willems is showing what a natural wing back can provide. Some beautiful touches by him.

Where would Ritchie fit now? Competition for Almiron at RW?

• posada

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Trent1211
    Sep 1, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    Posada you really are a one eyed poisonous presence on this blog. 44k there yesterday – officially – including season ticket holders not taking their seats which was visually evident. Even at 44k that’s 15% down in the real world. Not on Twitter. In the ground, now stripped of those seemingly primarily responsible for creating the atmosphere. If we banded together and stepped away temporarily it would be unsustainable to Ashley to stay. Did you see the England game played behind closed doors. It was horrific. TV would not want that. Let’s face it it’s the only thing within our gift to do. I would say it’s a question of personal pride. I don’t like somebody urinating on me which is what our supreme leader is doing. As I’ve said before the absolutely disgusting sale of Strawberry Place to his son-in-law shining a bright light on what is asset stripping of the club limiting our future should be enough for anybody to say enough.
    ***********************************************************************************

1) If we banded together and stepped away temporarily it would be unsustainable to Ashley to stay. WRONG. We have put him in a strong position. Rafa, me all that have gone over the last 3 years. 175M a year x 3 = 525M plus parachute payments.

2) The ground is now stripped of those who created atmosphere. Not sure about that. The flags are gone. Flags should never be the main source of atmosphere. Many were still singing in the SE corner. Season ticket sales there are still sound. The atmosphere in other parts of the ground has been as it is for years.

3) If you create an empty stadium ok eventually something gives. Almost impossible to get the consensus for that. Don’t confuse supporters staying away due to the poor performance with all staying away on principal. Different thing. If you could get it, the consensus that is great. Thing is you would take us probably into league 1 before he went. Look down the road. Fine if that is what it takes. However, why now ? Why not 3 years ago. Why not 12 years ago.
    This is the conundrum we have all thought about and can never find an answer to.

4) My opinion. The Strawberry Place car park has no strategic value to NUFC. You can’t use it to expand. It’s too far from the pitch. It was bought by the previous owners just 15 odd years ago as the site for a super casino. It’s a piece of real estate worth a few million. Folks use it to wind folks up. Get wound up about all sorts, but not that.

5) Is he asset stripping. Revenues of 175M and a wage bill of about 60-70M. I don’t know. Time will tell. It would appear he is not doing an Ellis Short. He would not have spent money on players if he was. In terms of football he is an idiot, but it would appear he is not doing an Ellis Short.
    It could be he is slowing taking money out rather than a quick asset strip.
    Think that will be clear in the not too distant future. Sooner or later he has to explain where the money has gone.

• hibbit

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Lesh believe me mate it’s Jib !!!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Bills Son is Back,
    I haven’t seen anyone diss him, stop stirring the pot. He may be defensively solid but we needed an upgrade on Yedlin and he’s not.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Posada

Hiya JIB

Were sick of the PR rubbish

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:17 AM

JIB

“My opinion. The Strawberry Place car park has no strategic value to NUFC.”

BOLLIX

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:18 AM

all the best bills son

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:18 AM

Hiya JIMS

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Who would have guessed you need to use another email

LMFAO

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Jail
    as an out and out full back , Krafth is a huge upgrade on Yedlin.

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Bills Son, Posada and Jib on deck of the Titanic as it sinks. “Look at the Doomsters leaving” Laugh and clink glasses together. “Beautiful view!” Although if I believe Toon22 it may well be just one bloke talking to his own fabricated friends. Sounds about right!

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM

JIB

Wheres the money gone ?
    Were at about 6 million net per season, if you believe we spent 40 on Joe that is

Why are we scraping around for bargain buys ?

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM

Trent1211

😉

Funny how JIB had to change his email isnt it

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM

Jail that’s a completely relevant example as Liverpool have improved their squad as have we with Krafth. To answer your question yes Yedlin is a good player and will fit our current formation perfectly. Not sure if your trying to insinuate Yedlin is championship quality? If so that’s rubbish he is better defensively than he gets credit for (mainly due to him getting forward so much) and causes no end issues for defenders with his pace. Will be great to see him back.

• one fine day

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:24 AM

Jib your fb page ..jeezus man what’s with the Ashley pic ?

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:24 AM

Jesus wept. If Jim of Benwell aka Jib believes Strawberry Place has “no strategic value to NUFC” and is ok with Ashley asset stripping this land by selling to his son-in-law to sell on for a huge mark-up then we’re talking either mental inadequacy, on the club’s payroll or both.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:25 AM

Why do you think “these” people have these bizarre views ?
    Not a Mackem, knows too much about the club
    Might be a WUM , personally doubt it

All seem to have the kind of views exactly how KBA would have us believe things are, usually follow the same pattern as them in other media

Hiya KBA

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Who gives one about who owns Strawberry place?

• posada

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:26 AM

See St Hibbit is back.
    He’ll be delighted ticket sales are down.
    He’s been bricking it for weeks in case they continued to do well.

Was I bigging up ticket sales. No, I was hoping more would be there. That’s because I’m a supporter. Yes, was fed up of the Doomsters hoping they would be down.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Jib,
    We play with wing backs though. Nufc-83, he is better than Championship but should not be first choice at a club with aspirations to better itself. So therein lies the answer.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:27 AM

one fine day

It seems to be a fake FB page
    If its not its more bizarre than i thought lol

Jim in Benwell (JIB)
    Jeff in Benwell

Go take a look lol

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Nufc-83,
    Strawberry place, Jeesus H Christos you really are an Ashley man aren’t you. That’s the last chance the club had to expand the ground.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Nufc-83

Its juts another way Jabba has asset stripped us
    That used to belong to the club

According to JIBs alt , whos now an architect , it cant be used by the club
    Utter nonsense

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM

Wasnt there plans draw up with the road going under the stand ?

• posada

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM

If you think the Strawberry Car Park is so important to NUFC would you please tell me what you would do with it.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM

Jail I often challenge the external opinion that Newcastle fans are deluded as I feel as a consensus it’s not the case anymore. It’s a struggle with people like you around tbh.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM

JIB

We arnt stupid FFS

• one fine day

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM

Toon 22 yep had a look
    Bewildered at what is on there

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Nufc-83

So your saying we are wrong about what ?

Please enlighten us thick Geordies

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:31 AM

I see that’s how you try and win any debates by stating the opposition is a stern supporter of Ashley. Lol well done.

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:31 AM

NUFC-83 are you joking. It rules out the scope for expansion of the ground + if it is going to be sold (which I disagree with) it should be at maximum value with profit to NUFC not handed off at low price to Ashley’s son-in-law to cream off the profit and steal from the club. If you don’t care about asset stripping from NUFC you don’t care about the club.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:31 AM

Toon22 sorry I’m lost come again?

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:33 AM

toon22 says I’ve never even been to the Toon
    then posts a face book page of some geezer who
    clearly lives in Benwell and claims it’s me !!!!
    WTF ?

• cockneymafiaout

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Anybody still think Ritchie is Premier League class?

Not saying for definite this kid is either, but after one game he already looks like he offers so much more than Ritchie other than work rate.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Trent so you think the only possibility of expansion lies with that piece of land? Do we need to expand? If we suddenly become a super club that needed an 80k stadium the owners in that scenario would find a way to do so (we are a long way from that scenario lol)

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Go google the Gallowgate End Expansion

The only room for realistic expansion of St James Park is at the Gallowgate End, with plans drawn up when John Hall and Freddy Shepherd were in charge, showing the stadium could be expanded to around sixty thousand.

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:36 AM

So Posada, NUFC-83 and Jib all utterly bizarrely pro-asset stripping and limiting the ground expansion. That is so ludicrous that I refuse to accept isn’t the same person. I was dubious about ‘alts’ but that is just too ridiculous a position for 3 people to arrive upon independently. How sad have you got to be to invent accounts on a blog to agree with yourself? Very.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:36 AM

JIB

Its more likely thats a fake FB profile you use to spout your PR there

If you are actually him thats more bizarre than i could have imagined

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:37 AM

JIB

Have your architect alt rake a look at the plans that were drawn up to expand the ground, he might find them interesting