web analytics

“I’m Just Doing My Job” Says Standout Performer Against Watford

We were really impressed with Jetro Willems both on Wednesday evening against Leicester City and yesterday against Watford. That is two starts in a row where he has put in excellent performances.

It couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for both the Dutchman and Newcastle. Jetro will be getting a lot of appearances over the next two months as Matt Ritchie recovers from his ankle injury.

If he can contribute like he did yesterday, then Newcastle should be in decent shape at left-back.

Jetro Willems– looks a very good addition

Jetro bombed down the left flank all day and put in a few lethal crosses. He linked up very well with Christian Atsu, who also has put in another top performance.

Jetro has given an interview to the Newcastle United website about his first Premier League start.

This is some of what he has said:

“I think we should have won it. It’s unlucky, because we had some chances, and they didn’t create something – it was an unlucky goal. It was early in the game, but we tied it.

“And after, I think we showed them that we were better, even on the counter-attack. They were only defending. They only played long balls. We should win this one, and then we are in a great position.

“We have had some progress. I think if you saw the first game, it was a miscommunication and we lost. But in the first half, I think we were better.

“Against Norwich, it was something that can happen. And after, against Tottenham, we were in shape. And now we keep going, and we are in good shape.

“Of course, of course. I am not 100 percent fit yet because my last (full game) was last season, and I want to show more. But for the time, I’m satisfied.

“I’m trying to do my best, that’s the only thing I want. And to give the fans what they deserve, and what they come for. I want to show myself also, but it’s my job. I’m just doing my job.”

The team will take a two-week break as EURO Qualifiers get underway. Jetro will jet back to Frankfurt to collect some items that he has not been able to since joining Newcastle. This is what he said about the timing of the break:

“For me, it’s the right time to get some rest and organize my things, because I’m new here and it was a little bit chaotic!

“I came from the training camp of my old club, then came here and I couldn’t go back. So, for me, it’s a good and right time.”

Unfortunately for Jetro, he is currently not in the plans of The Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman. Though if he continues to put in performances, he can force his way back into the Dutch squad.

Incidentally, The Netherlands face Germany on Friday and feature three former Magpies in their squad in Georginio Wijnaldum, Luuk de Jong, and Patrick van Aanholt.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Draw Against Watford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:38 AM

Go take a look at what Jims Benwell has been posting on FB

Hiya JIB

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:39 AM

Our savior Jabba is a self made man who should be respected, or some rubbish like that
    Go take a look

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:39 AM

Ha well played Trent you have outed me!

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:39 AM

I don’t see it as a victory that fans aren’t turning up and I don’t want the club to fail, what I see with fans not turning up is that they’ve had enough and have drawn THEIR line in the sand, I drew mine years back, others before me and others after me.

I dont want to see a empty stadium for a full season to the detriment of the team, I would like to see all the fans whether they’ve given up or still go unite to tell Ashley enough is enough.

I’d rather see Maximum capacity every game except 2 or 3 where the ground is empty so Ashley and the world get the message, football belongs to the fans, not sky not the players not the billionaires.

The fans own football and the atmosphere in the grounds, the atmosphere is what sky want, we take that away QUESTIONS will be asked.

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:40 AM

toon22 you again demonstrate a real lack of knowledge about Newcastle
    “Design manager John Henry, who has worked on several big stadium projects
    in his career, concocted the idea to turn the pitch and expand into the neighbouring park.”

Any Geordie would know that Leazes Park is at the other end of the ground to Strawberry place

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:42 AM

So just because we had plans drawn up for the expansion of gallowgate that’s the only option? If ever we get into a position to require expansion then it would happen regardless so stop worrying about meaningless things.

• geordietom

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:44 AM

is jim in benwell really the FROG !!! …

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:45 AM

Stop worrying about meaningless things. Asset stripping. Taking money out of the club. Yep don’t worry about that. Are you for real? Again I was dubious about talk of KBA but give over!

• carltoon

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:46 AM

Trent do you not want match going fans to post on the blog?
    Would be nice if you stopped calling people poison. It wouldn’t be much of a blog if it was just people shouting about staying away.

• AncientC

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:49 AM

Jib, nobody quite ‘demonstrates’ knowledge like you do. It’s rather coincidental that you shared with the blog your use of the Newcastle manager as a background pic (screensaver).

I recall ‘Jeff from Benwell’ telling the blog he used Newcastle managers as his screensaver, and once had Allardyce on his home screen. Never fret, Robleenio still believes in you… although… I think he is starting to see through the facade.

• carltoon

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:49 AM

Just wish Bruce had subbed Longstaff at half time. The game was crying out for a bit creativity. Can’t believe we’re 14 th. Hope Caroll can score a few goals. Can’t see any goals from the forwards at the moment.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Trent ok so how much is the land worth? How much has Ashley sold it for? Who is Ashley son in law?

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:51 AM

I don’t think any true supporter wants toon to be relegated nor to play in a half empty stadium , Bruce is correct that a few wins and creating a feel good factor will bring fans back … Hard to see where the wins will come from in next few games given yesterday’s and Norwich performance – think we play better against the big teams simply because we just defend for our lives and rely on the odd breakaway – against teams below top 6/8 we have to actually attack and try to play football – something we haven’t managed to grasp yet

• AncientC

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:51 AM

Btw, “don’t spit the dummy out”. Proper “geet lush”. I am erudite, me.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:51 AM

I’m not at all sure we actually really did need a right back, with Yedlin now back in training and two weeks before the next game. Krafth does look a decent conventional right back though, certainly we got him at a good price, although perhaps less suited to wing back, while Manquillo and Yedlin are decent wing backs.

Why did we buy Krafth and slot him straight into the side at wing back, dropping an improving young player to do so, is more the question.

Manquillo should be starting, Krafth in competition with him, and Yedlin moved on, in my opinion.

• NezzaNUFC

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:53 AM

So we get players who play a 4231, 4411 style and we get a traitor head coach who favours a 532?

Yeah I can see Almiron and ASM and other wingers being sold early on (Almiron will be sold in January no doubt) ASM though could be placed up top with Joelinton.

Only at Newcastle!

• posada

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:53 AM

I think Trent might be an Alt of Boycott Ashley OP.

Boycott Ashley OP needs a an Alt whenever he needs to put a certain point of view.
    A point of view not compatible with the fact he has not been to a game for 8 years.
    He let that slip a couple of weeks back.
    They do seem to be on together a lot.

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Bills – happy birthday mate

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:56 AM

I’m talking specifically about Posada who is actively seeking to derail any attempt by fans to excerpt influence through non-attendance even going so far as to lie about sears sold to make people think it’s not worth staying away. He is acting very much like an agent of Ashley trying to subvert and silence any dissent. He is poison and I double down on it. Happily get the ball out if it wasn’t for posters like Posada trying to sway opinion towards just accepting the state of the club and using match conversation to divert attention away from the real issue. Basically what happens to the quality of the blog matters less to me than the club. The nearer to empty the ground is the better. That’s what I’m pushing for others have their own opinion. Everybody free to have their say but calling out posters with very dubious agendas is fair game.

• geordietom

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:57 AM

Carltoon …

as the song says things can only get better pet , you go to the match because you enjoy it . you go because your black and white through and through . you go for your love of NEWCASTLE UNITED …

• Jib

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:57 AM

geordietom

is jim in benwell really the FROG !!! …Nah that Jim Horner is a Geordie

• cyprus

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:57 AM

It looks like Willems and Atsu will not only feature but will also be standouts this year. Maybe Atsu needed the pressure from the Saint, who knows.

This doesn’t mean Ritchie gets the bench. For me, he’s first on my starting list. I’d play him in goal 🙂

On Almiron, can’t criticize. He must set mileage records every game and he doesn’t lose the ball often. Disagree with headless chicken label. He’s first on my list 😉 Once he gets his goal, he’ll hit a bunch.

Overall, happy with the team. Work in progress, sure, but they’re doing alright. Already, better point haul than last year after ten.

• one fine day

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM

The whole expansion thing to me comes back to a lack of planning in the early days of Sjh
    Why they hung on to to an outdated est stand ( although it was the newest part of the stadia back then ) showed a complete lack of foresight .
    Had they moved the ground west 100 m over bath lane and took the breweries site then we would now have had 70 k stadium without worrying about the halls of residence .

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:59 AM

And whoever said this blog doesn’t reflect match going fan, I have to beg to differ – views are the same but most people aren’t as vocal in real life especially when in others company and actually have to debate their opinion
    Internet gives enough anonymity to spout complete shite or truth that is ignored by others who don’t agree .
    Just the way it is , I’m sure 90% of people on here are probably decent fans when you meet them in a bar or the match

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:00 PM

Posada claiming I’m an alt. Jesus wept. You know people who have affairs often suspect their partner of cheating. Projection because it’s what they’re doing. You’re just trying to muddy the waters. Three accounts – Jib, Posada and NUFC-83 all saying that asset stripping Strawberry Place is no problem. Let other people draw their own conclusion. I gave my season ticket up this summer.

• posada

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:01 PM

Kraftwork
    He looked solid defensively yesterday.
    Going forward. Not an attacking fullback it would seem.
    Either an attacking FB in a 4/4/2 or a wing back.

Remember we got rid of Simpson as he could not do the extra in the final third.

I think Kraftwork could play in Schar’s position. Right side of 3 at the back.
    Remember Stuart Pearce saying of that position. It’s not that different to playing FB.

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:01 PM

One fine day – probably just as well, 40k in a 70k stadium would look pretty bad 😀

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:02 PM

I did my bit last year walking the streets and bars for hours handing out fliers for the boycott. In the real world. Not on a blog. What did I get? Booed into the ground by our own fans during the walk in. Still can’t get over that.

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:04 PM

Posada – you were at the match yesterday ?
    At Spuds lascelles and schar were constantly shouting at him about position and at times krafth looked a bit lost , was he the same yesterday ?

To be honest I’m not sure why he’s been thrown into the team so quickly and at rwb …clearly he’s not a wingback and he’s relatively slow so unlikely to become one

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Posada – schar or krafth ?? Think I’d be taking Schar every day of the week

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Match conversation – Almiron is Sissoko MkII. Transporter. Has it’s uses. Occupies opposition but he is lacking in quality of technique and decision making. Krafth is bang average. Joelinton could be the real deal but needs a legit 10 dropped but closer to him. Perez and him might have made a great pair. Shame our fans applauded him being subbed and generally griefed one of our own. Pretty sure he decided to go from that point on.

• toon22

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Yep

That lands worthless

We are stupid enough to believe that lol

• Trent1211

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:08 PM

T22 Strawberry Place stuff on here has really opened my eyes. Orchestrated posting to dampen down dissent. Whether one demented individual or strings being pulled its worrying either way.

• Mindshaft

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:09 PM

Trent1211, tend to agree – almiron needs to improve his decision making – often holds on to the ball to long

• one fine day

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:10 PM

Mineshaft
    Aye fair point
    Maybe sir John saw these days coming 🙂

• cyprus

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:10 PM

On comments:

Disagree about moving Yedlin on. Like someone else mentioned above, we have difficulty playing sides at our level, as we’ve learned to defend for our lives.

That’s where players like Yedlin will come in. We need attacking WBs and he’s the best in that role. I think he’s improving defensively too.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:11 PM

Trent how ironic that you are blasting Jib about Alts then do the same thing yourself.

Getting booed by our fans what does that tell you. Take a look at yourself I think.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:12 PM

I’m waiting for a response on my questions re strawberry place as well if you want to have a solid debate let’s get the facts on the table.

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:12 PM

Jeez you have me sounding like OLG!!

• Nufc-83

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Regarding Almiron he definitely needs to improve and with Atsu in current form depending on how ASM fairs when he plays he could be dropped.