Here are our individual player ratings for the win at Tottenham on Sunday.
Martin Dubravka – 7
- Another solid performance from our goalkeeper. Could do nothing about the early goal. He again made the saves to keep Newcastle in the game.
Paul Dummett – 6
- Another very good performance from Paul. He and Lascelles maybe could have been better prepared for the initial goal as Will Hughes was left unmarked. Though it was an unlucky deflection that landed perfectly for Hughes. Was solid defensively and played the ball decently from the back.
Jamaal Lascelles – 6
- A little lapse of concentration on the early goal along with Paul Dummett. Had a superb run down the left flank in the second half that led to a chance for Atsu. Was very good defensively and battled at the back. A signature performance from the captain with a bloodied nose to show for it.
Fabian Schar – 8
- Excellent performance from Schar. The first game in which we saw consistent runs from the back this season. Took his goal very well at a crucial point in the match. Had another clear chance from a Sean Longstaff free kick in the second half but fluffed the header. Schar was again calm and collected defensively.
Emil Krafth – 6
- Played solidly and seems to be clear first-choice on the right. He is the best defender of our three right-backs. Emil is savvy and positions himself well. Did not offer much of a threat going forward down the right until his cross that led to Schar’s goal. Is only going to get better and has been a good addition to the squad.
Jetro Willems – 8
- Jetro was excellent down the left flank. He was strong in possession and bombed down the right on numerous occasions. Linked up well with Atsu and Joelinton. He is better at beating his man than Matt Ritchie and can put in some quality crosses. If he can keep putting in some performances like this and Leicester City, it will be interesting when Ritchie returns. He’s not the leader Ritchie is as he doesn’t seem to have that type of personality but looks like a very good addition.
Isaac Hayden – 7
- Another battling performance by Isaac in the middle of the pitch. Put in some crunching tackles and his shot was a terrific effort just saved by Foster.
Sean Longstaff – 6
- He again started slowly but had a much better second half. Had an excellent free kick that Schar couldn’t quite get on target. Still coming back to his best from the injury. Has struggled a little with consistency this season but has grown into each game which is a good sign.
Christian Atsu – 8
- What a performance from Christian Atsu. He was a threat down the left and played well with Willems. The fact that those two have had limited time together in practice and the game wasn’t noticeable in the least. Held on to the ball very well and made some great moves to maintain possession. Also seems to have added some flair to his game this season. Created two great chances for Almiron. One of his best performances for Newcastle. In fact, his last three league games have been some of his best for the club – last year’s finale at Fulham, last week at Tottenham, and this match.
Miguel Almiron – 6
- He again ran himself ragged but his very poor finishing cost Newcastle. Had a golden chance right after the Watford goal but his first touch was poor. He played well but he just seems to panic at times in the box. The adage is that once he gets the first one, the goals will flow. We don’t think that is going to be the case with Miguel. He is just not a goal scorer. However, he should be creating more and we think he will do that soon enough.
Joelinton – 7
- Was excellent in his build-up play. Rarely lost possession and laid the ball off expertly to lead attacks. However, did not run into the channels enough and offered little threat on goal. His hold-up play was so good that he still gets a high score despite the lack of a presence in front of goal. His improvement from Norwich has been astronomical. The change of formation has really helped Joelinton. The fact that he is so strong when on the ball this early in his Newcastle career is a very good sign.
Javier Manquillo – 6
- Came on late for Emil Krafth and played decently. Not much time on the pitch to make an influence. It’s hard on Javier as he has played well but seems to have lost his place to Krafth.
Yoshinori Muto – 6
- Came on earlier than usual for Atsu and had a couple of chances. Was straight through on goal from a Joelinton pass but ran in a straight line and was forced wide. His shot didn’t threaten Foster. His pace is an asset and it’s tough to judge him too harshly in these late appearances. His movement in space is excellent and we would love to see him on the pitch for a full game with Joelinton.
Federico Fernandez – 7
- Second straight league game where he came on late and you could not tell the difference. A model professional who needs to get a contract extension.