web analytics

Steve Bruce Reveals Plan For Next Two Weeks

Steve Bruce has two weeks to plan for Newcastle’s next game on September 14th at Liverpool. The corresponding fixture last season ended 4-0 which was the worst defeat of the season.

So we expect that he’ll want plenty of time with the players to prepare for this tough fixture.

However, it has been a hectic couple of months for the coach and new signings since joining Newcastle.

Jetro Willems mentioned after the Watford match how he had to go back to Frankfurt this week to collect some of his belongings. This is what Jetro said about the timing of the international break:

“For me, it’s the right time to get some rest and organize my things, because I’m new here and it was a little bit chaotic.

“I came from the training camp of my old club, then came here and I couldn’t go back. So, for me, it’s a good and right time.”

Steve Bruce has also commented on the international break and how he will find some time to relax after a busy few months. Here is what his plans are for the next two weeks as published in the Chronicle.

“For all the nonsense, it’s a great club, I’m delighted, and I’ve really enjoyed it. You have got to take the stuff, but I’ve been around a long time, and I’ve enjoyed the last seven-and-a-half weeks.

“I don’t think I’ve even been home yet. I might take a couple of days back home.

“We’ll watch the internationals and all the rest of it, but I think it’s a time where you can just reflect.

“We’ve given them a couple of days off, and then they’ll have the weekend off, and we’ll prepare all week, and you hope the internationals don’t get injured.”

It will be a little bit of a respite for Bruce and the players this week. However, they’ll be back at it next week in preparation for the Liverpool match.

With some of the squad carrying knocks, this break has come at a beneficial moment. The players not on international duty can take some time to recover.

International breaks, though, have not always been kind to Newcastle as we often seem to have players return with fitness problems. So hopefully that will be avoided that this time around.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:08 AM

When Rafa was leaving he said ” well they can get someone who just wants to be happy finishing 15th.”
    The tragedy is that Bruce would be delirious to finish 15th.

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:10 AM

Seeing as new article up I’ll repeat post (Sorry):

When 3 posters in a row quickly post the same really outlandish/unusual take on the asset stripping at Strawberry Place being nothing at all to be bothered about something is up.

I’m not a conspiracy theory type and always thought alts was a stretch tbh but I’m sold after Strawberry-gate.

Last thing as well and about the same dubious character at the centre of all of this – if casually and falsely accusing another poster of being a paedophile doesn’t get you slung out and banished I don’t know what does??

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:12 AM

Trent
    You still did not answer the question.
    What would you use the Strawberry land for.
    The base for a stand ? Too far from the pitch. It would be even higher than the Milburn, which is pushing it. Also, further away.

So, why is it so important.

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Getting the ball out, Paul Dummett has been outstanding for a prolonged period.

Deceptively quick over a few yards, never seems to get done for pace, routinely blocks the cross and I (half) joke that I’ve never seen him lose an aerial battle.

Given his vocal detractors at one point he’s an outstanding character. Brilliant. Shining light in dark times.

• TomaKaThor

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Dummett is good aslong as he stops trying long balls, it aint in his locker atall

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM

It’s important Posada (Jib with a mask on?) because it is blatant asset stripping and I will take NUST’s word that a feasibility study allowed for ground extension utilising the land.

Even if I were to accept it couldn’t be used for that or wasn’t necessary, if any/all of the land is to be sold for development the profit and any future revenue stream should be Newcastle United’s not the greedy slugs via a holding company where his son-in-law is the sole director. Clear enough?

Why would anybody other than the regime itself not take issue with this? Your turn to answer.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:22 AM

martoon – slight difference in taking the mickey with Jib – he dishes it out and I am happy enough to respond in kind.
    Big difference is that it is directed at HIM – not his family – and I would never stoop so low as to suggest that he or anyone else on here interferes with children.

Recently he has made references to my granddaughter – with the innuendo plain to see.

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:25 AM

In terms of what I would do with the land? Personally, a pre-match outdoor but largely covered venue with food and drinks + heaters and a big screen to bring in revenue for the club outside the ground like they have at the Etihad.

• Bills Son Is Back

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Trent,

So three people having the same opinion about Strawberry Place makes them alts?

But umpteen posters slamming fans for going to SJP aren’t?

Give over man.

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Trent
    The question was not about asset stripping.
    The question was – what would you put on it. Clearly not the base for a stand.

On asset stripping. The club have a debt to Ashley of over 100M.
    If he so wished he could take money out at any time.

One thing I would say. Ashley should explain his logic to the supporters.
    On that and many other things.

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Bill’s son, 3 Newcastle supporters defending the indefensible with a pro-Ashley stance all piling in within quick succession yes but I’ll let others judge.

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:29 AM

Morning Bills.
    Nice to see a match goer on the blog.

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Actually Trent I’d like to see that, could show screens showing tunnel cams, pre match interviews with players / staff from training ground game highlights ( could be a bit short at the moment 🙂 ) , things to get the fans feel more involved before the match whilst having some food and a pint or two – toon do a terrible job at this compared to some other teams and it wouldn’t cost that much money – might even get some fans to go back… (touchy subject I know )

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:36 AM

I’ve been to a City Champions League game with work Mindshaft. Really works.

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:38 AM

Ah well done Trent.
    You’ve answered the question. Only took a couple of days.
    Don’t think much of the idea, but won’t take that any further.

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:39 AM

posada – not having a go…

Trent answered the question
    Ashley could take the money but it’s not in his interests to do so – club would have to take out a bank loan and pay 6 – 10% interest , given that the Sky money allegedly only covers club operating costs then the only other revenue is matchday and commercial revenue (merchandise money mostly goes to SD) – given that we’re pretty poor at the commercial side of things we would have to sell before buying. We also pay cash upfront yet for some reason allow buying clubs to pay over x number of years and are still receiving installments on Sissoko ffs, clearly this means we could rarely buy anybody – relegation upon relegation would beckon – value of club would be zero as it would be loaded with debt.

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:41 AM

Trent, never been but I know a few fans who have and they reckon it’s really good – Brighton do a similar thing so you don’t need a rich arab to be able to do it

• Australian Pie

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM

For a bit of football discussion: next 5 fixture points predictions

Liverpool (Away) – 0
    Brighton (Home) – 3
    Leicester (Away) – 0
    Man U (Home) – 1
    Chelsea (away) – 1

Bruce the top 6 taker!

• Australian Pie

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:49 AM

Groundhog day on here as usual

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:49 AM

It’s like our social media side of things – piss poor, our youtube channel consists of nothing other than brief highlights of previous game – twitter basically says nothing and nufctv is also pretty crap – how not to build a global brand and get young people to take an interest seems to be our social media teams motto. Us oldies will die out and toon will end up with about 10k a week crowds …. hold on , maybe thats why crowds are down… was there a flu epidemic recently 😀

• lesh

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Posada

Whether the Strawberry land could be used to enhance SJP or not isn’t the major point.

Ashley bought NUFC and that land was owned by the club. I may be wrong, but hasn’t it been suggested that Ashley’s sold the land to a development company to build a property on his or a relative’s behalf. When that happens, the land and development’ll be worth a lot of money.

As alternatives to what he seems to have done, could’ve done one of four things with the land:

Sell it and have the proceeds go to the club;

Keep the land in the club and build on it – leasing the property with all income going to the club:

Enhance SJP if practicable and financially sensible or

Do nowt.

As it stands, he appears to have sold the land for his own gain with the club losing out on what could’ve been a lot of money.

Is that the sort of behaviour you support? I don’t and I’m confident many thousands won’t.

• beefman13

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Here’s a plan Steve, get out of our club, take your money which is coming to you sooner or later and get out. Toon are gone to me till the hiarchy and manager snide go.

• lesh

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:53 AM

Mindshaft

Why would have any interest in developing a club image that’s commensurate with its growth? All he’s concerned about is projecting SD.

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:54 AM

Australian: Id go with that other than I don’t think we’ll get owt at Chelsea and possible nowt from ManU but might squeeze a point from Leicester ( I think there’s only one top six in that run this year ). ManU ( depending how quickly they sack Ole) and Chelski will be 7th/8th – my top 6
    Man C
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Everton
    West Ham

• Australian Pie

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:58 AM

Nice predictions mindshaft

Fair play, Chelsea squad in particular does not intimidate at all

• mactoon

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:01 PM

“For all the nonsense, it’s a great club”

I’m confused, do you consider it ‘nonsense’ that fans are angry because a world class manager who wanted to improve the club on every aspect has been discarded due to the owner not matching that ambition?

That he has been replaced with a manager who most fans consider greatly inferior and despite being ‘a local lad’ thinks fans are protesting because of results and will return ‘if we win a few games’ ?

That the appointment of this new ‘head coach’ indicated a return to the old transfer policy which has proven to be disastrous in the past?

That yet another sale of the club has just disappeared despite the positive updates from the BZG

Or is it just nonsense that the fans are exercising their right to protest about an owner who has no intention of taking the club forwards?

Is it the fans reaction over the last few months you find nonsense? great way to get them on board.

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:02 PM

Mindshaft
    I think you will find that the Sky money covers more than the operating costs.
    Ritchie apparently is on 2.25M a year. If you took that as an average for the first team squad you would have a wage bill of about 60M.
    Yes they have other expenses, but the main expense of a football club will always be it’s wage bill.
    If they are spending 125M. Well all I can say is the groundsmen must be on a hell of a wage.
    And the ticket office staff.

Think we both know that’s not the case. Last accounts they had income of 175M.

The only hold we have/did have on Ashley is the competitive nature of the game.
    Don’t spend we go down and loose our main revenue stream.

That did not stop Ellis Short.

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM

posada – I’m only repeating what is often said on here by the ‘Ashley defenders’ when the ‘agitators’ ask where the money has gone… anyway , regardless it’s not in Ashleys interests as we both agree

• Jib

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:08 PM

lesh
    The proceeds of the sale of Strawberry Place were
    paid into MashHoldings the umbrella company
    (that’s how we know it was £9M – doh)
    You me and everyone else has no idea whether
    the money ended up with NUFC or not.

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Lesh
    Your right it’s not the major point.
    However, it was the question I asked. What would you use it for.
    Personally I would have kept it.
    Even if it was never used whats the point of selling it for the cost of a fairly average player.

I think you will find it’s not that important. I’ll accept though you never know what the future holds.

Important point. We should not have to speculate. Mike Ashley should state his logic and communicate it to the supporters. If he said – I don’t think we can use it. I’ve sold it and put the funds back into the club – we might not agree, but somebody has to decide and he is the owner.

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:09 PM

official figures – operating expenses 119,6 million, guess those groundmen are doing quite well after all 🙂

• lochinvar

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Allegedly Ashley’s son in law is paid enough despite a lack of experience to move into a £10m London property.Is that true ?
    The Strawberry land was apparently sold for £9m.

Where has the money gone ?

• Jib

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:15 PM

If you look at year 2015 – Season Ending Operating Profit £19.1M compared with
    Season Ending Profit After Tax £32.5M

Some money has appeared in NUFC’s coffers from somewhere

• martoon

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Tuff @7 – Yes the interfering with children comment was out of order for which he quite quickly apologised and I can’t quite remember exactly the granddaughter reference but remember thinking at the time it was quite an innocuous comment that you took exception to. However you have also said things which crossed the line that you refused to apologise for despite a few posters agreeing you were out of order – so you’re both at fault!

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Mindshaft
    Yeah, that is the issue.
    He said – every last penny.
    Does it still apply.

If Mike Ashley committed to every last penny this would be sorted. Most would not believe him sure.
    However, it would be a case of don’t tell me show me.
    Proper CEO, director of football. Proper folks empowered to act. Club accounts made public.

Not mystery folks making decisions.

• Jib

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:22 PM

martoon
    Sir sir
    Mr Tuff is more out of order than me !
    😛

• Anglo Saxon

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Mindshaft re the previous post pensioners. Wisdom comes after you been a dick-head most of your life mate.

• Jib

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:24 PM

No greater love hath a man
    than he shall post articles on
    a blog on Labor Day

Ezekiel

• Anglo Saxon

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:25 PM

Jib 33 back payments for players SOLD.

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:29 PM

I don’t want to kick the arse out of those accounts. Like doing a jig saw with just 40% of the bits.
    178M in turn over. Wage bill at 52.4% of that = 93M ish.
    That would imply an average wage of 70K a week for the first team squad.

Don’t think so.