web analytics

Steve Bruce Reveals What He Said To Striker When He Came Back To Newcastle

Andy Carroll is in line to make his return for Newcastle United in the next match against Liverpool. He has two big weeks ahead of him as we assume he will begin full training with his teammates soon.

Carroll has shown a renewed enthusiasm since joining his hometown club. He seems absolutely determined to have an impact this time around. Andy left on a high eight and a half years ago as a budding English number 9.

He returns as a more mature presence and a player who has experienced the up and downs of being a professional footballer. He also carries with him the same passion for the club that he left with.

Steve Bruce and Andy Carroll– the coach and the elder statesman

Steve Bruce has spoken to the Chronicle about what it means to have Andy’s passion for the club as well as his experience back at Newcastle:

“He is the local hero, and he knows what it means to play for the club.

“You can already see players attracted to him. They all want to be around him.

“When I brought him here I asked him: ‘You aren’t the young Andy anymore, can you be the elder statesman for me?’

“It’s horrible for a player to think that. But can you help me with the strikers?

“We had a striker meeting, and he was right in there giving his opinion.”

Steve is going to look to Andy to bring some leadership to the attackers at the club. The squad is loaded with leaders and big personalities in the other areas of the pitch. We have players like Martin Dubravka, Jamaal Lascelles, Matt Ritchie, and Isaac Hayden who have emerged as the core group of leaders.

There are also local lads like Paul Dummett and Sean Longstaff who exemplify what it means to play for Newcastle United.

In the attack, Andy can provide those dual roles of leader and club ambassador. Players like Joelinton, Miguel Almiron, Yoshinori Muto, and Allan Saint-Maximin can benefit from Andy’s experience with Newcastle and the Premier League.

It is a good sign that he has taken hold of that mantle in his second stint at Newcastle. If he can also stay fit and provide some goals when makes his comeback, his return could turn out to be a very shrewd move by the club.

• Toonboy_84

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Think Joelinton will enjoy playing with big Andy

• geordietom

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM

as if by magic someone steals my post Martoon your not the only one mate …

😀

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM

You’re presuming Carroll will ever get fit of course

• geordietom

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:07 PM

Mindshaft …

i hope like many others no doubt that Big Andy stays free of injuries and gets us a few goals …

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:11 PM

geordietom – we all hope but Carroll already has an injury and even when he’s fit, him staying that way for any amount of time seems a very remote prospect based on the last 9 years – lets just hope he can grab some goals when he’s on the pitch because we’re sure going to need them

• RobLeenio

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Andy will be a big positive influence on the team this season, both directly through his contributions on the field and indirectly by the way he acts around his team mates.

Think about how Sean and Matty Longstaff will look up to him as a player who was in their boat years ago, came through the ranks and ended up playing for England.

He’ll help to tutor Joelinton, add his own traits to those that the lad already possesses. He might even inspire Muto, who knows?

Hopefully he’ll also get a chance to work with the kids in the academy.

Alternatively, he could end up crocked 90% of the time and p!ssed the other 10%. I prefer to think it’ll be the former, but we’ll know by Christmas what kind of AC has rocked back up.

he’ll be desperate to play against West Ham and show them what they’ve lost. Liverpool, too but less so, I think. I reckon West Ham ditching him and not giving him a new contract will have hurt – he’s still only 30, he could have 3 more years at the top of the game yet, if he can get his injuries behind him.

• IrishRob

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:15 PM

He actually said was, I cant pay you the wages you want Andy but if you play well there will be bonuses in your contract such as unlimited chicken kebabs and cheesy chips for a week, for every week you start a match.

• geordietom

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:17 PM

mindshaft…

hope his surgery has sorted his problem out would love to see him and Joelinton playing up top together mate …

• IrishRob

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Did he not say Andy was 4-5 weeks away still like a week ago?? Maybe I’m wrong but the liverpool match seems a stretch going by what he last said.

Also has Gayle ever played in a 3 man attack for Newcastle?? If not maybe just maybe it might suit him more in the premier league playing with extra support around him and enable him to be more effective than he has been in the past.

• IrishRob

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Also am I the only one who genuinely doesmt want to see Almiron up front?? You’re guaranteed zero goals from one of your 3 strikers and lets face it he can do everything hes already doing from midfield.

Unless it’s a composure thing brought on by no goals and a lack of confidence which I highly doubt is the reason for his lack of goals, then youd have to say his best position is probably an AM.

• Jib

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:42 PM

In the his last season in the MLS Miggy was played as an attacking midfielder except
    for 2 occasions he played LW – He scored 12 goals and had 13 assists

• Jib

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:45 PM

In his season in the Argentina Superliga
    He always played CM and got a couple of goals

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:48 PM

The trouble is that it’s not just the ankle injury, here’s his record since moving to West Ham – he scored 34 goals in 142 games or something and I think 3 in last two years!!

Anyway, here’s hoping he can somehow become Lazerus and bag 20 goals this season

2012/13

September 1 2012 to September 30 – hamstring injury. Four games missed

November 28 to January 26 2013 – knee injury. Ten games missed

2013/14

May 20 2013 to September 1 – heel bone injury. Four games missed

September 9 to January 11 2014 – fractured foot. 23 games missed

2014/15

July 24 2014 to November 3 – Torn ligament. 11 games missed

February 12 2015 to September 14 – MCL knee injury. 25 games missed

2015/16

January 12 to February 3 2016 – unknown injury. Five games missed ( Rumoured to be rehab )

2016/17

August 18 to December 2 2016 – knee injury. 17 games missed

February 4 2017 – to March 6 – groin injury. Four games missed

April 15 to September 2017 – groin injury. 11 games missed

2017/18

January 2018 to April 15 – ankle injury. 13 games missed

2018/19

July 2018 to November 2018 – ankle injury. 15 games missed

February 2019 to present – ankle surgery

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:49 PM

Not sure what he can tell Joe Linton that coaches can’t , maybe bars / clubs and drugs 🙂

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:52 PM

Agreed that miggy might be better off in midfield although if we’re playing 5 – 4 – 1 I’m not sure he should take Longstaffs or Haydens place which basically puts him on the wing

• martoon

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:05 PM

I’m sure with Miggy there is a very good player in there – it’s just a question of finding his best position and some good coaching. Can Steve Bruce bring out the best in – I’m not sure?

• Nufc-83

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:06 PM

We won’t be changing formation and miggy will stay as one of the wide attacking players in the 3421 formation which we play. The question will be does he keep his place when ASM is fit as you can’t drop Atsu in current form.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:07 PM

Happy Birthday Joey Barton

• martoon

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:08 PM

I also feel that Carroll & Gayle would make a very good big man, small man combination but it’s hard to imagine they’ll both ever be fit at the same time!

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Trent1211
    Sep 2, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    I’m no accountant but we reportedly have a c£6m net expenditure on players across Ashley’s tenure. Even with suppressed commercial income, that + gate money + TV money should massively dwarf our wage bill. No capital expenditure on ground and/or training facilities but we owe him money! I salute the competence of his creative accounting sickening though it is. No wonder we’re an also ran. We need to rise up and purge him from the club like Hong Kong!
    ***************************

Aye, Trent. You’ve finally got something right. You are no accountant.

Rise up and purge him from the club like Hong Kong. You’ve never done anything like that. All you ever do is twitter and social media.
    Those young people are risking their lives and liberty. To secure their basic rights and future.

Extinction Rebellion – now there is a way to protest if you are up for it.

I don’t think you will be super gluing yourself to the front doors of Shirebrook any time soon.

You’ll probably settle for giving match goers stick on this blog.

• lochinvar

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Does Miggy work as an out and out winger ?

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Trent – you had a decent argument but don’t think we can liken it to the Hong Kong situation.
    posada – haven’t done it myself as I’ll be dead before the planet – think extinction rebellion is a good cause though, something has to change and global warming will definitely impact more people than fatty owning the toon ( even if it does seem painful at the mo, he’ll be dead of old age before long )

• posada

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:18 PM

#BoycottAshley ( OP)
    Sep 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    In my time on here I’ve seen 4 different posters write posts aimed at themselves, answering points they’ve made.
    Could be a mistake but it’s quite fishy that each has done it on more than one occasion.
    If the posts weren’t answering questions THEY asked I’d think nothing of it.
    Theres atleast 4 people who’ve done this, whether it’s the same person is anybody’s guess.
    ****************************************************************
    It’s called being objective you idiot.
    Being able to appreciate two arguments and balance one against the other.

F.Scott Fitzgerald
    The test of a first rate intelligence.
    Is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

Be careful the first time you try it.

• Mindshaft

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:23 PM

there’s very little objectivity on this blog as you’ve just proved yourself 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:32 PM

After trawling for the past hour through what is always and continues to be a fascinating and interesting blog, two things stand out that need commenting on.

Firstly, Robleenio, it’s not the Flat Earth Society who are delusional, it’s the idiots who think the world is globular.

Also what a fantastic opportunity for Aarons by going to Wycombe, he will get to play with the greatest CF in the country which should help his game enormously. Look forward to his return to us as a much improved player.

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:34 PM

Posada I’ve already said several times I walked around all the bars handing out thousands of pro-boycott materials and participated in all of the demonstrations/boycotts/walk-ins. I attended Magpie Group meetings as well until for personal reasons I had to step away. You really are obnoxious. I don’t have a Twitter account and took real world actions.

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:36 PM

Obvious there is no comparison to NUFC and Hong Kong in terms of severity of the situation but they have stuck together and made a stand unlike the bury your head in the sand merchants on here.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:37 PM

And now I’ll leap into the nearest phone box and change to my alter ego, oh b*gger there are no phone boxes anymore!!

Guess I have to stay in my EGB form.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:41 PM

I am now going to lend myself £10 so that I now owe myself £10, hope I’ll get it back at some point!

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:41 PM

I also gave up match going / Season Ticket and sitting with friends I’ve known since I was 12. It’s not human rights level stuff obviously but it was a sacrifice, on principle. Rafa was something to believe in.

• Just a fan

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:53 PM

There’s a lot of martyrs on here.
    For what .
    A game of football.

• Trent1211

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Can’t win Just a fan. Was told I did nothing but post online. Prove I don’t and told I’m playing the martyr. It’s not just a game of football. The club means a great deal to a lot of people.

• IrishRob

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:16 PM

Jib scoring goals in the MLS means nothing. He clearly isn’t able to score goals in thr premier league. So I dont get why youd bring that up. Well I do, you’re touched!!