web analytics

Hatem Ben Arfa Fails To Find Club On Deadline Day – What Are His Options?

Hatem Ben Arfa failed in his quest to find a new club yesterday. He remains an unsigned free agent with limited options for a move.

He was heavily linked with moves to both Fiorentina in Italy and Fenerbahce in Turkey yesterday.  However, none of those moves have happened.

Hatem was released from Rennes this summer when his contract ran out. He had been with the Ligue 1 club for just the one season after leaving PSG last summer on a free transfer as well. Hatem spent two tumultuous seasons in Paris, whom he joined in 2016 from Nice.

Since leaving Newcastle United in 2015 on a, you guessed it, free transfer; he has seen out his contract three times. Hatem has had trouble finding a club this summer and the 32-year-old has few windows still open for him.

It seems that wages may have been the stumbling block for him.  He’s not likely to find many takers in the leagues that are still open. However, if he can find a club with an open squad place, he can sign for them.

These are the transfer windows that are still open:

• UAE Pro League is open until September 30th.
  • Portuguese Premeira Liga is open until September 21st.
  • Russian Premier League is open until Friday.
  • The Bulgarian and Romanian windows are open until Sunday.
  • The Australian A-League starts play in October and their window closes on October 15th.

These options are also what remain for Newcastle’s Jack Colback, Jamie Sterry, and Henri Saivet; as well as former Magpie Vurnon Anita, who was released from his contract with Leeds yesterday.

Hatem remains a very popular figure for Newcastle fans. He made 86 appearances for Newcastle with 14 goals and 16 assists.

*This article has been updated to reflect that Hatem Ben Arfa is a free agent and can still sign with a club that has an open squad place.

• Trent1211

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:28 PM

What a waste. I’d pay to watch Hatem warm up. So much talent. So little consistency. But so much talent.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM

Martoon
    Micheal Owen and Paul Ferris
    Paul was quite mild in his comments on Micheal Owen
    If you go to one of his talk ins or speak to him about Micheal Owen
    He lays into him no holds barred
    And what he had to tell the manager at the time including Shearer what was ‘What his injury was’
    Have not seen Paul for awhile but last I knew his book was going to made into a film

• RobLeenio

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:43 PM

Looks like he’ll have to go to Australia or New Zealand or somewhere along those lines, or if he wants a big payday then he can get himself to one of the Middle Eastern leagues.

I think clubs just don’t trust him, honestly. Can’t say I blame them.

There’s a big disparity between the beauty of Hatem’s football and the ugly nature of his soul.

• RobLeenio

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:45 PM

I like the player of the month article, great idea. I went for Isaac Hayden for his consistency last month. He stepped onto the pitch vs Arsenal and it was like he’d just carried on from where he left off last season. His level didn’t drop from that point all month.

I hope that next month I’ll be giving my vote to Joelinton or Almiron for scoring a few goals, including the winner vs Liverpool.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:49 PM

Jib

My first or second post aimed at Nufc 83 which you replied to mentioned JD.

I’d be careful who you call a liar, especially when you blamed me as part of the reason you snapped on Sunday, I wasnt involved or posting the evening in question.

I’ll leave it now as you’re well beaten, I can tell by the name calling and insults, the usual tactic of your masterdebater tactics.

I’d hate for you to go off in a racist homophobic tangent because I’ve upset you.

Take warning lads it’s your fault when Jib spouts bile racism and homophobia.

• lochinvar

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:50 PM

Hatem Ben Arfa – what should have been

Michael Owen – has been

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:51 PM

OP

I’ll try my best

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:54 PM

Rob
    Surely a fairer way would be to aggregate all the votes a player got
    for different games in a month.
    If you have a separate vote at the end of the month it will invariably be
    that player who is freshest in the mind.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Jib

No apology for calling me a liar?

The proof is only a few threads back, you’re more than welcome to check.

Maybe you should concentrate on reading the post before trying to debunk it.

• martoon

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Charlie @2 – I must admit I haven’t read the whole book – just extracts that my wife pointed out when she was reading it. The bits I read he lays into Owen in the book so if that’s mild I can’t imagine what he must be like in a talk in! 😀

• TomaKaThor

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM

People will say i am biased because i am a Newcastle fan, but this is true i never ever wanted to sign Owen, i am gobsmacked how he managed to not only make it as a footballer but as someone who will be considered a legend to many (shudders).. He was an absolutely woeful footballer, zero technical ability, touch of a donkey, weak as a kitten..it still confuses me to this day how he scored any goals nevermind quite a fair few in his earlier career…was very good at ‘. ‘gambling’ lol ..with his runs and had good anticipation is all i can put it down too……

For a man with such limited ability he did astonishingly well for himself…

P.s i wil never forget seing a program back when he was at Liverpool when him and Carragher where taking the mick calling Shearer boring…..Yes Owen the king of pointing out the obvious when it comes to commentary calling others boring..i feel like slipping into a coma anytime ive heard or seen Owen speak…seems like the kinda person you wouldnt be like to be left alone witth

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:23 PM

George Caulkin
    ?

@GeorgeCaulkin
    2 hours ago

For him (Michael Owen) to throw accusations about loyalty towards @alanshearer – a man who rejected Manchester Utd to sign for #Nufc, their record scorer, a match-winner, match-saver, captain & ambassador – is utterly risible

• martoon

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Also toon22 as much as I despise Ashley and want him gone from NUFC I would never take pleasure if SD went bust. When that happens the people at the top come out smelling of roses – it’s the decent people who work in the shops who would lose their jobs!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Martoon
    Owen was fit half the time should of played
    Many other players like Shearer should not of played but wanted to play

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:26 PM

BTW
    risible = provoking laughter through being ludicrous

Think toon22 and you’ll get the idea

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Risible is from the Spanish btw
    toon22 – rana risible

• martoon

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Also on topic if Ben Arfa and Anita are out of contract surely they can sign for anybody even when the window is closed?

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Charlie was he injured though ? – he always seemed to be unavailable about
    March time.(the start of the flat racing season)

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Jib
    No he was not injured
    All players carry little niggles or bruises but he made the most of it
    I could easy get on and off the horses when he wanted to
    Spent more time at race meetings than on the pitch for the Toon!!!

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:41 PM

I would just like to say this about Michael Owen.

He says when I turned on match of the day he heard us saying what a waste of money when he was knocked out injuried.

I’m sorry Michael, but I have never heard a single word any of the fans has ever said through a television, and you are telling us you put on match of the day and heard us say what a waste of money???

Are we to believe your ears are stronger than the rest of ours??? Or is it more possible you are telling lies to sell more of your book?!?!

The only thing Owen has done here is point out himself that he was a total waste of money. And his new book, like himself is a waste of money.

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:45 PM

I was at Watford that Sunday
    It was their fans singing what a waste of money

• Genjikai

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Lilo
    I mentioned oldham about 4 months ago, another one of ashleys tactics lend them money own the club shop and merch, but its just business so its ok by you.

• Genjikai

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Lilo
    Its not illegal so its ok.

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:57 PM

Clubs can still sign free agents throughout the course of the year, as long as they were not registered to a club at the start of the season, and a host of exciting prospects are still available.

• Jib

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:03 PM

• IrishRob

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:06 PM

Retire??

• TomaKaThor

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Would love us to get Ben Arfa but wont happen

• lesh

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:17 PM

What’s noticeable about Ashley is that he doesn’t seem to conduct his business in good faith, in a reasonable and responsible way. He’ll enter agreements with entities but makes sure that the entity has no way of easily ending said agreement through amicable negotiations.

Ashleh seems to be totally selfish, self serving and wants to get his hooks in and keep them in no matter what. Caring and responsible capitalism? Pfft, not for Ashley.

• hibbit

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:34 PM

Jib
    not sure Oldham fans would class there mere existence as thriving !!!!!!

• neverwin

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:36 PM

re Shearer to Liverpool.
    If menory serves Sir Bobby tried to sanction move.
    Shearer was not best pleased.
    Can anyone else confirm

• hibbit

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:44 PM

• lochinvar

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:47 PM

• Pain in the Blog

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Careful, hibbit. You’re on dangerous ground there. Once bitten…?

• Just a fan

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Never win
    Yes Bobby tried to get rid of shearer
    Shearers adulation of Bobby is just a charade

• hibbit

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Pain in the Blog

very true mate 😉

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:09 PM

neverwin
    Yes rumoured Bobby tried to get rid of Shearer – He wanted three players out who had to much influence over the rest of the team cannot recall who tho !

• Mindshaft