web analytics

Michael Owen Gives Exact Moment When He Stopped ‘Trying To Ingratiate’ Himself With Newcastle Fans

In another Michael Owen article written in theMirror,he details how his biggest regret in his career was joining Newcastle United in August of 2005.

The article details the entire process of how he ended up, begrudgingly in his words, at Newcastle United. There is however, one part of the article that we find quite astonishing. It is when Michael reveals the exact moment that he gave up on the fans of Newcastle United.

This is what Owen writes of the incident that soured him against the fans:

The irony of all of this is that, once I actually arrived in Newcastle for the first time, all the excitement that came with being a record signing at a club with such a passionate fan base started counter-balancing my earlier reservations.

The day after signing, the club flew me up to be greeted by twenty thousand delighted fans at St. James’ Park. Instantly, I felt like a hero…

The fans never knew anything about any of the behind-the-scenes goings on which occurred during my time there but my relationship with them was damaged beyond repair when I was knocked out against Watford.

When I got home, I switched on Match Of The Day to watch the game and I could hear Newcastle fans, my fans, singing ‘what a waste of money!’ as I’m being stretchered off.

I can’t deny their actions that day changed things for me. No longer was I even going to attempt to ingratiate myself with the fans. Instead, I flipped it in a slightly more resentful way thinking, I don’t need to justify myself to f ****** Newcastle fans.

The game Michael is referencing was the final game of the 2006/07 season. It was a 1-1 draw at Watford in which Michael Owen was stretchered off in the 67th minute after colliding with teammate Matty Pattison (who went on to play for Gateshead, Blyth Spartans, and South Shields). He had suffered a mild concussion.

This moment was two years into Micheal Owen’s Newcastle career and was just his 14th appearance for the club. He had missed almost that entire season due to his cruciate ligament injury suffered during the World Cup. He had made his comeback just two weeks prior.

This was after he had only 11 appearances in his inaugural campaign. A season where his only appearance in the final 19 games was for 29 minutes against Birmingham. Those were the only minutes he played for Newcastle for the entirety of 2006.

So he has taken a few fans away at Watford to give up on the entire fan base. This is after our record signing on £120k a week has played only 14 games in two seasons. Yeah, that’s pretty much a waste of money. And that’s not meant to be a slight on Owen as he couldn’t control his injuries. But Newcastle did not get a good return on their investment.

• Genjikai

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM

Lilo
    He inserted a clause that is very vague and up for interpretation. Even the judge admitted that.
    That is the clause that has them locked in.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Genji,
    From the article

‘In doing, he so relied upon the wording of paragraph 5.9 (set out above), which he declared constituted an “express recognition that there can be multiple matching rights”, and further noted that nothing in the Agreement excluded Rangers’ duty to provide SDI Retail with notice of a third party’s offer where SDI Retail had matched an earlier offer’

Thqt certainly isn’t him sayong that the wording was vague or up for interpretation.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:19 AM

Anyway, I’m off for the night. All the best, and hope all our bloggers in the States are safe and sound.

• bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:19 AM

Genjikai,

So ignore it and let it continue through the courts year after year. I’m sure the courts in Scotland will be more favourable to Rangers than the parasite.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:21 AM

What clause has he inserted with us is just to frightening to contemplate, surely that’s why there’s no one wanting to buy us. We’ll be locked into SD for many years to come.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:23 AM

Bill if the judge’s are Celtic fans, just saying .

• bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:23 AM

If an offer has to be made, I’m sure it’s not beyond the wit of those at Rangers to come up with a terrific offer from a third party that the parasite will have to match.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:24 AM

toon22

Just a bit curious about your gaming past, were you a computer gaming person or did you also venture into RPG and board games.

I ask cos I was very much an RPG and table top wargamer and wondered if we might have some common ground beyond our minor spats on the blog.

I still am involved in games RPG and board even at my advanced years.

• bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:25 AM

Carltoon,

Rangers or Celtic v London. What do you think the outcome would be?

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:25 AM

Joking! Only it’s not a laughing matter. That’s what we have to look forward to, when we try to get rid. He’ll have us tied up in knots.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:27 AM

Ooh! Not the southern softies.

• bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Most people outside of London hate the capital for good reason. I don’t hate Londoner’s per se, just what it stands for.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:29 AM

carltoon

The apparent fact that the buyers we’ve had never seem to complete a deal suggest to me that there are complexities in the structure of Ashlies companies that cannot be untangled without compromising them in some way well into any future dealings.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:32 AM

EGB it’s got be that surely, otherwise we must be a fantastic proposition for investors.

• NY Mag

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:36 AM

EGB,

I have to be honest……The apparent fact that the buyers we’ve had never seem to complete a deal suggest to me that they never had the money available to buy the club in the first place.

Of course it’s Ashley’s own fault, by saying he would accept staged payments, there was always going to be opportunists crawling out of the woodwork.

• bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:41 AM

I don’t believe buyers are not in a position to buy. The parasite doesn’t want to sell so long as it is making a profit. It needs to start losing money, then he will sell.

• NY Mag

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Bill,

Then why has none of the alleged buyers ever come out and said this?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:53 AM

I don’t think Ashley would tolerate the club losing money. He’d simply cut the clubs cloth accordingly.

I don’t see why he’d be more likely to sell if we became a smaller club. Self sufficiency, that’s his mantra, no matter the league. He has x amount invested, he will want x amount return, and he knows how to wait.

To have any chance, you want to leverage him out at a high point of a sales cycle, and we are in one now.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:56 AM

NYmag hope your not affected by the terrible weather. My daughter’s at the Burning Man festival in Nevada. She won’t be affected will she. Never thought to check the map.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:58 AM

Oh just thought it’s in a desert so it won’t be!!! Never heard from her for over a week!!!

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:59 AM

I think that Amanda Stavely said her offer was still on the table.

• NY Mag

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:01 AM

Carltoon,

No, I won’t be affected by it

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:02 AM

Nicky how we going to leverage him out now?

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:04 AM

NYmag ah that’s good to know. She said there would be no signal, but I can’t help but worry! She should be back in Reno tomorrow. You couldn’t pop over and check she’s ok.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:06 AM

Oh you won’t be affected will Nevada!! It is a desert isn’t it.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:10 AM

To have any chance of leveraging him out we’d need to continue to show our unhappiness with him Carltoon I think, in a variety of different ways, coinciding with a time the club can attract a sizable and legit offer. Low attendances, arranged boycotts, protests, etc. This is our only real way forward I think, but ultimately, he’ll only sell at a price he’s happy with, I think that’s quite apparent, if he is indeed even willing to sell. We can only pressure him into to being a more willing seller by being less compliant, in my view.

• NY Mag

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:12 AM

Carltoon,

That’s kids for you….they don’t realize what they put us through 🙂

Mind you, we used to do the same

• NY Mag

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:21 AM

Nicky,

I agree with that, there needs to be a two-pronged approach.

You can’t sell without a buyer and you can’t buy without a seller.

The NUST should continue the legitimate and peaceful approach of canvassing potential buyers and TMG (the paramilitary wing if you like) should continue with the pressure to ‘encourage’ him to sell.

It requires cooperation and collaboration that has, so far, been beyond us as supporters.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:26 AM

NY Mag

Some of these supposedly potential buyers had the wealth of Croesus behind them so funds shouldn’t have been a problem.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:28 AM

Ha ha I never caused a minute of anxiety. Unfortunately she doesn’t take after me, and she’s so beautiful I just wish she would settle down. She went to matches untill she was 16 she was a good footballer herself, won a tournament at Rocker Park.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:28 AM

NY Mag/Carltoon

Me and the Missus are off to a festival at the weekend but i doubt if the kids 47 and 51 will be worrying about us. 🙂

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:30 AM

Nicky can we not try the goerdie kiss. Not that I’m prompting violence. But we are desperate!!

• toon22

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:31 AM

Ahh

Essex

I’ve told the blog and linked the clan I was in with actually footage

But you want to use some twisted view to discredit me

Tell me again how your not PR
    Working for Jabba

Hahahahaha

Cheers for the heads up
    I used to think you we an actual fan lol

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:31 AM

Oh Bill that’s exciting. I’ve never been to a one.

• toon22

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:34 AM

Jabba is trying to ensnare as much of football he can
    To create as many legal hostages as he can

He needs to be stopped

But some would rather he just kept on with exploiting football

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:34 AM

Bill

Love London or hate it but it’s where a large proportion of our wealth is generated and will be even after Brexit.

So it will always be important to the country.

To think that it was only a very unimportant minor town once upon a time, even up to Saxon times.

• NY Mag

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:35 AM

Bill,

Re: worrying

You never know mate…..as they say what goes around comes around 🙂

• toon22

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:36 AM

Essex would like to tar me with role playing
    I know exactly what he means if the rest of the blog don’t

Hiya Essex

• toon22

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:37 AM

Essex

It’s never Jabbas fault

Hahahahaha

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:38 AM

toon22

No my enquiry was a genuine question, no attempts at putting you down or discrediting you, however if you want to think that then fair enough, I understand why you would think that.