web analytics

This Player Can Be Reborn In His Natural Position At Newcastle

Jetro Willems made his first start for Newcastle against Leicester in the Carabao cup. That match featured both Matt Ritchie and Willems from the start. Matt was deployed in a more attacking role for the game while Willems handled duties on the left flank.

This was the second time the both of them played together as Willems came on in the Arsenal game and, eventually, found his way to left-back while Ritchie move into an attacking midfield role.

With the arrival of a new formation against Tottenham, we wondered if Steve Bruce would consider playing both Willems and Ritchie on the left. Either of them would be interchangeable in a 5-4-1 on the left flank. The Leicester City match didn’t afford Bruce that option as available bodies up front were so limited.

Unfortunately, the Leicester match would put any possibility of a Willems-Ritchie left-sided partnership on ice. Due to Matt Ritchie’s ankle injury at the hands of a rash Hamza Choudhury tackle, Steve Bruce’s options on the left will be limited for the next two months.

Fortunately, though, Willems is more than capable of making the left wing-back role his own. Jetro showed what he is all about in his first Premier League start against Watford. He bombed down the left and was able to beat his man on occasion to whip in a few enticing crosses.

Jetro Willems– starting to find his place at Newcastle

Jetro has made some comments about where he is fitness-wise, and from what he says, we may see a lot more from the Dutchman after the international break.

This is what Willems has said in the Chronicle:

“I am training normally now. Everything was OK to play against Watford, it was right to play, and I’m fit to play. I’d say it was not perfect, but I created some chances and did my job, so that’s important for me and to keep playing.

“I played last Wednesday against Leicester in the cup and then against Watford. It’s quite tough. My last game was I think last season when I played the whole game in Germany. So, I’m going the right way. So, it’s a great time for me to have some rest.”

Jetro’s last full ninety minutes was at Schalke on April 9th, but that was as a midfielder. It’s important to remember that at Frankfurt last season, Willems was a back-up defensive midfielder. He started only 14 games in all competitions with only 7 starts in the Bundesliga. Of those 14 starts, the only one that was at left-back was in August against Papiss Cisse’s old club SC Freiburg.

We have only seen glimpses of what Willems can bring to Newcastle. He will get a string of games on the left for the first time in over 14 months, and we may witness a player reborn in his natural position. That would be perfectly fine with us.

Who Was Newcastle's Player Of The Month For August?

• Fabian Schar (29%, 251 )
  • Isaac Hayden (29%, 249 )
  • Paul Dummett (21%, 182 )
  • Christian Atsu (10%, 87 )
  • Joelinton (5%, 45 )
  • Martin Dubravka (3%, 29 )
  • Miguel Almiron (2%, 19 )

Total Voters: 862

Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:22 PM

He looked pretty good against Watford, could be another bargain buy. (If we do buy him)

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:31 PM

You can’t expect people to keep blindly turning up when the owner is seemingly trying his hardest to drive people away.

• Bobbybee

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:40 PM

EGB, I think we’ve pretty much got the defence sorted now when everybody’s fit.
    We still need Shelvey big time though. Longstaff will be good, you can see that already, but just breaking through he’s inconsistent. We need both right now.
    Attacking wise, I’m confident that Miggy will come good once he gets that first goal. Atsu a different players this season and two battering ram strikers when required. I don’t see relegation… but I am an eternal optimist. 🙂

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:46 PM

The previous post from Ed on Ashley was fantastic and one of the best I have read in a long time. Clap clap

• posada

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:48 PM

How do we get rid of Mike Ashley.
    I can’t give that puzzle any more thought.
    In a few weeks we might know how much trouble he is or is not in.

Remember. Hicks and Gillette only sold as they had to.
    Likewise that Frank Sinatra fella who sold up at Man City.

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:48 PM

Bobby you can’t have Shelvey in our current formation unless we are playing seriously poor opposition which doesn’t happen in the Prem. Even when Longstaff is not playing too great in possession he is covering more ground than anyone on the pitch.

• Bobbybee

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:56 PM

83, it’s about creating chances mate. Longstaff’s had a couple of bad games, if he carries on you can destroy him by keep playing him. His times coming, without question, but if he’s off form Shelvey has to play. That’s why you have competition for places, to get the best out of every player available. Shelvey can still do it, that’s not in question surely? It’s a form and confidence game, the one on form always gets the shirt.

• Plodding Pudding Bruce

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:57 PM

Bobbybee
    I don’t know if you have heard…. but there is a certain valley for men like you…. optimists

• Bobbybee

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:03 PM

PPB, you think we’ll get relegated? All about opinions mate. All entitled to that much. I suspect we’ll stay up. I want us to stay up. Only time will tell…. 😀

• RobLeenio

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Ed re your previous post, very well written and researched meticulously, but I’m afraid you miss the point to an extent.

Any boycotts are not designed to hurt Ashley’s pocket, they’re designed to register our dissatisfaction with the state of the club. It’s the only opportunity to do it in a place we can guarantee there will be cameras

We can’t hurt a billionaire financially, but we can embarrass an owner of a football club. We can damage the sports direct brand which is so heavily associated with our club and which is Ashley’s first love.

Will it work? Who knows? But what if it could and we didn’t try? What if this is our one chance to persuade him to sell? I’d rather risk damaging a club to try to shock it back to life than see it slowly die due to neglect.

It’s a horrible situation, I can’t blame any fans for disagreeing completely and continuing to go. It’s not like there’s been a boycott called for every home game either, people are making their own minds up and crowds are falling naturally.

We just need a sale, sooner rather than later, and we can all get back to unconditional support of the club we love.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:07 PM

Bobby but shelvey doesn’t have the hardworking attitude along with the defensive awareness to play in that middle 2. He will let runners go past him time and time again and get free in the box.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:08 PM

Rob how does not attending a game damage the sports direct brand? I don’t think anyone who goes to SD watches the tv and thinks look at that a stadium with empty seats I think I will head to JD today.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:09 PM

Has the club been in profit year after year with Ashley?

Did he take out 40m over the last 3 years?

If he can manage that and rinse our other revenue streams the club afford that hit.

It’s up to Ashley who foots the bill.

• RobLeenio

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:10 PM

Sad to see Fab Flournoy is leaving the Eagles. The city of Newcastle loses its second World class coach this year, sad day for regional sport.

That said, what a fantastic opportunity for him to be an assistant coach at the Toronto Raptors. Good luck to him.

I bet Paul Blake shows a bit more ambition in appointing his replacement than Ashley did with Schteve.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:12 PM

Posada

With likely up coming elections and Bury and Bolton in the News, who knows who could become our allies.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:13 PM

OP can you show me the financials detailing Ashley removing 40m from the club? I don’t think I’ve seen that article/figures so would be good if you can share please.

• RobLeenio

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:15 PM

Nufc-83 if Ashley is using SJP as an advertising hoarding, one of the main attributes of the ground is the atmosphere.

Remove the fans, remove the atmosphere, devalue the brand and Sports Direct with it.

This is the idea at least. We won’t know if it works or not until we try.

As I say, I respect those, especially Bobbybee and Dr Ed, who disagree.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:16 PM

Does Kieth Bishop have anything to do with Micheal Owens new book?!!

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:17 PM

Its war on SD and fatty for me, Ashley isn’t a fit and proper owner.

It’s up to other fans to do what they want and thinks right.

Fans not turning up is their choice no one is asking them not to turn up, it’s a symptom of Ashley’s tenure.

The ones who do go I’d like you to wear JD plastic bags instead of strips, let’s piss him off by advertising one of his rivals, see how the board of SD likes that

Hopefully theres mayhem and questions asked at the SD agm next Weds.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:18 PM

Nufc 83

Get the accounts up

• RobLeenio

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:22 PM

OP, from what I remember mate the last shorts direct AGM, Ashley turned up in those crap jeans, read a pre prepared statement and then walked off stage.

He treats the SD shareholders with the same respect he shows to NUFC fans.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Rob I honestly don’t think that a stadium with 5k fans in would make a difference to the SD brand. OP I think that is an amazing idea about wearing JD at the ground. That’s the first sensible idea I’ve seen on this for a while and would definitely piss off fatman. Imagine 40k+ people all wearing JD jumpers!! It would get more advertisement than the SD signs!!

• Bobbybee

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:36 PM

83, you move the wingbacks forward and play 352. That gives you two grafters and Shelvey.
    Anyway, I’m away for the night. Good football craic tonight lads, always a pleasure.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:36 PM

OP I am looking through the accounts information and I can see we owed MA 144m split over two loans (basically from when we were in the champ). I can see that we have paid 33m back in the last year so maybe that was what you were referring to when you said he is taking money out the club???

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:39 PM

Hi Bobby we did try that as that’s how Bruce wanted to set up and it didn’t seem to work. Maybe that was due to not having 2 strikers on the pitch instead Almiron was dropping deep leaving Joelinton isolated. You would have to drop Almiron and atsu to make that work in my opinion.

• posada

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:40 PM

Robleenio
    The other shareholders of SD don’t like him one bit.
    Pays no dividend. Does not involve them in decisions.
    They are not people without resources. They are investment Co’s etc who own shares worth 100’s of millions or more.
    It’s the oldest trick in the book. Sell half of your company. Buy a few shares back so you have a majority and then treat it as if you own it completely if that makes sense. Under company rules you are not supposed to do that. You are supposed to run the company for the benefit of all shareholders large or small.
    Trouble is it is very difficult to prove that you have not acted in the interests of all shareholders and demonstrated the required level of professional competence. Even loosing money over Debs and H of F. You can put that down to just a bad decision or markets working against you.

On the other hand if you are the first company of that size that can’t file accounts.
    Because the accounts can’t be audited.
    Different ball game potentially. If that happens they may well be after him.

Like I say Hicks and Gillette.

• posada

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Can you get those carrier bags in 2 Ex L.

• jane

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:52 PM

” I’d like you to wear JD plastic bags instead of strips”

aren’t plastic bags bad for the environment?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:54 PM

Nufc

Yes that’s the money, there should be another, still money out of the club.

In his last interview (lol) with Samuel’s he said he didn’t want or would he take money back from the club referring to the loan. Already has.

JD bags you can put in your pocket, what’s he going to do, search every fan.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:56 PM

Jane thats why there should be jumpers made. How much did I read it costs to join one of the fan groups protesting against Ashley £10 for a life membership was it?? If you had 5k members then you would probably cover the costs of 50k jumpers made in China and still have change. Get big JD logos on them and hand them out to everyone in the ground. Would bring fatty to tears that one.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:58 PM

Jane

They are, we could get paper ones

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:58 PM

OP he had a long term loan and a short term loan. The short term loan was paid back however he is stating he will not pull money out covering the long term (even though it does mention something about paying it back in the accounts but cant be bothered to read through again). I personally want to see him cover the long term loan off quickly and then we would absolutely know for sure if he was to pull any money out when the club didn’t owe him anything.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:59 PM

Nufc 83

Made in China.

I’ll get my mates gran on it, nae slave labour like Ashley

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:00 PM

OP I bet most things in your house are made from China lmao (just for jail that one).

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:00 PM

Nufc

I’d just like him to funk off

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:01 PM

Has everyone seen Luke Charman’s Goal from last night. Wow some strike that like.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:01 PM

Nufc

Of course, I’m a card carrying commi.

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:02 PM

OP well if its that simple of a choice I would join you!

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:07 PM

I believe we should have about 30m in transfer fees left to spend in Jan and then we will see another 50-60m+ player sales provided if we stay in the prem for the summer.

• Jib

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:11 PM

If you let JD sports know what was planned
    They’d probably give you the jumpers