web analytics

Newcastle Need To Quickly Decide Who Stays And Who Goes

Newcastle have eight first-team players whose contracts run out in just two years. Some of these players are core members of the squad like Fabian Schar, Isaac Hayden, Jonjo Shelvey, and Matt Ritchie. The other four are Ciaran Clark, Christian Atsu, Dwight Gayle, and DeAndre Yedlin.

Newcastle will obviously want to sign Schar and Hayden to new contracts. That should be a top priority for the club at the moment. However, what about the other six.

There is a report in the Mirror that claims Isaac Hayden, Jonjo Shelvey, DeAndre Yedlin and Matt Ritchie are in line for contract talks.

However, the report goes on to say that cashing in on Shelvey and Ritchie is also an option.

The bottom line is that Newcastle have a lot of work to do with contracts. Like their work in the transfer market, Newcastle have not shown any urgency in getting the contract situation sorted. They run the risk of losing compensation on players if they don’t get their act together soon.

The following players have less than a year on their deals; Federico Fernandez, Ki Sung-yueng, Javier Manquillo, Karl Darlow, and Rob Elliot. Andy Carroll also is signed on for just one year, but his is a different situation altogether.

The club need to decide who they want to keep and get them signed up quickly. They also need to offload any players they have no intention of holding onto. This winter there will be funds available for transfers. So if Newcastle do bring any players in, they will have to offload some players.

Fabian Schar– top priority to get him signed long-term

We would like to see Fabian Schar, Isaac Hayden, Matt Ritchie, Javier Manquillo, Christian Atsu, Karl Darlow, and Federico Fernandez all given new deals. While we really like Jonjo Shelvey, he just doesn’t fit into this team.

If Newcastle can recoup some fees for Ciaran Clark, Dwight Gayle, DeAndre Yedlin, as well as Shelvey that could add nicely to the reported £50m Bruce will have next summer according to the Mirror. The one stipulation being that Newcastle stay up.

We would expect that Rob Elliot and Ki Sung-yueng would just run down their current deals this summer. That would give Newcastle six squad places to really overhaul the club this summer for the better.

• IrishRob

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:49 PM

I’m back

• IrishRob

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:49 PM

Hi Munster!!

• DubaiMicky

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:51 PM

What does Charmless actually do?

Answers on a post card to….

• Anglo Saxon

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Well this bus is moving at breakneck speed definitely breaking up the conversation.

• Anglo Saxon

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:54 PM

DM postage stamp would do.

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:56 PM

As Jib is allowed to continue against all the odds and even converse soon after with the Harrison family I am starting to wonder about Tsunki’s theory and Trents comments re Jib and who he represents . Mmm

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:58 PM

Jib

I’m wondering just how you can be banned from this site , what do you have to do ?

I think even you would say you deserved a week off for your seriously bad attack on a fellow writer.

I have not seen you apologise in an unreserved fashion as yet .

You dragged the site down to a low level with your wicked comment.

• RobLeenio

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:58 PM

Charnley provides a reliable bridge between the owner and the coaching team.

No, that’s not quite right.

Charnley represents the club in the best possible way to the fans and the media.

Erm, nope, that doesn’t work either.

Charnley is a vocal and public supporter of all things NUFC

Hmm, not even that

Charnley is responsible for enacting club decisions swiftly and decisively.

No, again, not quite there.

Charnley sits around and acts as a buffer for any and all criticism directed at Ashley. A big jelly-like sponge for opprobrium.

Yep, that’ll do. But he’s actually not even very effective at that.

Maybe he makes good cuppas?

• Just a fan

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM

Ruddy
    Your very wrong re multiple.
    I won’t expect an apology.

• IrishRob

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:00 PM

Even if Jib is the Harrison family, so what, they are only doing it to drum up more discussion which drums up more traffic, which generates more revenue for them, it’s their livelyhood, and business. Who cares just sit and laugh

• Just a fan

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:00 PM

Lesh
    I actually voted to remain.
    But the vote was to leave so I stand by that.

• IrishRob

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:01 PM

What did he say now?? Lol

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Jib

Jib calling Trent a Knob now

Ed…how long is this going to continue ? Jib is a law unto himself on your site .

He’s abusive and gets away with it time after time .

Are you going to let him ride roughshod each day over decent people here , decent writers like Trent? It will drive people away if it’s allowed to continue.

• hibbit

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM

hibbit

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:13 PM

RobLeenio
    i’m sorry mate but Eds out of touch with the ground swell of public opinion,
    i have no objections to anyone attending games that is most definitely there choice, just as fans who choose not to go that is most definitely there choice.
    if he’s so concerned at the lack of atmosphere and crowd numbers maybe he should put his own hand in his pocket and send neil and his wife to a couple of games in stead of telling the rest of us how and when to spend our hard earn money

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM

Irish Rob

Just sit and laugh ?

While the blog is dragged down to a place it’s no longer decent to frequent because of the lowest form of abuse to others ? No thanks.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM

I maybe wrong but I guess Ed is more worried about losing coverage of Nufc when/if they drop into the championship.

I know they dont show as many games in the championship.

The blogs suffered before when we’ve been in championship

My advice, steal a stream and join the protests.

• hibbit

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:07 PM

it’s always been one T ask your mate posda,
    and my labs look fine on my laptop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• lesh

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:08 PM

Just a Fan – you’re standing by the vote? If you’ve got young kids or grand kids, think of them

Geordietom – why no deal? They call it falling into line with Trump and the resurgesnt right. It’s frightening

Oldgit – as the name suggests!

Online – Jib’s the new blog polis – he’s got a nerve!.

• IrishRob

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Online guy seriously take that stick out of your Arse! I dont much care for Jibblets myself either, but seriously you’re embarrassing yourself here.

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Irish Rob

I know your level ..first !

And it’s much more satisfying if one uses a Sheleighly.

• Just a fan

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:15 PM

Lesh
    So if we have a vote. Lose. We just ignore it ?
    I have kids grandchildren and there future no one knows as no one knew ours.

• IrishRob

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:17 PM

Know, the funny thing is, you really really have no clue of my level. Now calm down and stop getting worked up over stupid things and go pray or something.

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:18 PM

Shillelagh.

• dougie

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:22 PM

lesh,piss off with your far left bollocks,you momentum muppet

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:22 PM

Irish Rob

Behave yerself yi wee Leprechaun you .

I see your still able to book up for the Leprechaun hunt over der. Join the Aos Sì it’s a rewarding experience.

• IrishRob

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:23 PM

Silly simpleton!!

• Just a fan

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:23 PM

Online guy.
    You just seem to want people banned.
    Why don’t you just calm down and put on your u tube videos of crappy musicians we have never heard of playing music we never wanted to hear

• geordietom

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:29 PM

lesh …

if we do leave the EU would it not be better to leave with a deal ? i never said leave with out a deal , as i said it would be better if we left with a deal …

i dont gen up on it wor lass is the one who scours the net looking at news articles . i’m worried for my grandbairns i’ve got 21 of them all different ages and four great grandbairns . so yeah thats my main worry …

• geordietom

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:31 PM

just a fan …#21…

agree totally with you on that mate …

• Oldgit1

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:31 PM

Lesh, if you want to talk politics expect a reaction, everyone has there reasons, but this is not the site to spout your crap. Try the daily mail, or express, the have a suitable comments system so you can converse with the other illiterates.

Respect Ed’s site please. The rules are quite clear. No politics.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM

Mag52

I’ve read the blog since 2009, I’ve been a contributor since 2011 and stopped posting regularly about 3 years ago but have been a long-time reader.

I was actively involved in fan action and grass roots movements against Ashley a few years back and was consistently frustrated by Ed’s desire to not cover fan action.

The public opinion against Ashley has moved considerably from general apathy in 2013 to pretty universal contempt for him in 2019 and Ed has only (i.e in the past year or so) joined that bandwagon so forgive me for not thinking Ed is sincerely “anti-Ashley”

The facts speak for themselves.

Online

As another Irish person on the blog can you wind your neck in with the xenophobic shite.

• Oldgit1

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM

That goes to you geordietom. For the second time.

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:34 PM

C’mon Jib

Where’s yer firm then eh ?

• geordietom

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:35 PM

oldgit …

so you want me to just sit here and be a good boy …

do me a favour will you, send the Harrisons a e-mail and moan to them …

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Ruddy

My reference to the fairies is one of good tidings and good wishes to my Irish brethren.

I have Some Irish blood in me.

Stitch that.

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:39 PM

Ruddy

Xenophobic because I mentioned the little green fellas ?

Don’t be a George.

• Online Guy

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:43 PM

Ruddy

Can I not say Leprachuan ? If it offends you I wont mention Leprachauns again ..

Why only yesterday one knocked on me door granting me 3 wishes if I made him a cup o’ tea .

Canny little fella .

• Trent1211

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:44 PM

I really can’t get into Brexit. Possibly the only thing I’m more passionate about than NUFC.

Ah go on then! Staunch remainer. I do respect the vote and reluctantly accept some form of orderly withdrawal but no deal is self-harm and is widely misunderstood.

It is true to say that legislatively Parliament did delegate responsibility to the people and are reversing that now. I consider that ok though as it was reckless to defer to us. Cameron should be shot for what he unleashed. It just wasn’t broken enough to warrant what has happened since, however you voted.

Show me 100 people who voted either way and I’ll show you 99 or more likely 100 people who didn’t understand fully what they were voting for. Ask specifically about what aspect of their own life, not some nebulous global argument, they were seeking to protect or change and many can’t answer.

EU seems like a force for good to me. Safety and quality of food but particularly on seeking to safeguard workers rights and no sweetheart tax deals (Apple in Ireland) so a fair rate is paid. Those who don’t like that want the freedom to be get up to no good to me. Also ensured peace across Europe which is not to be underestimated.

I can’t morally make the case for a confirmatory referendum although I live in hope of revoke despite accepting the vote.

Johnson is a despicable human being in it for himself who I wouldn’t trust as far as I could spit on the ground. Corbyn not much better. Come back David Miliband.

Ashley Out! EU In!

• geordietom

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM

oldgit …

you a bit of a bully ( or a school teacher ) in the real world …

• Posh_Geordie

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:47 PM

I started posting a while ago after reading the blog since its inception. Since the summer you mostly now you have to wade through pages of non football bile I’ve given up posting and barely feel motivated to read the comments at all.

I’m sure I’m not the only one. It would be great if we get back to being a Newcastle United football blog.