web analytics

Mexican International Talks About Former Teammate’s Desire To Join A “Big Club” Like Newcastle

Marco Fabian is a Mexican international who has 42 caps and 9 goals for his country. He joined MLS club Philadelphia Union this past February from Eintracht Frankfurt. At Frankfurt, Fabian played with Newcastle’s new left-back Jetro Willems for 2 seasons.

The Chronicle have done interviews with some of Jetro’s former teammates. Fabian is one of those interviewed about the 25-year-old.

Fabian spoke a little about his time with Willems at Frankfurt. Fabian had been with the Bundesliga club for just one year when Jetro joined in the summer of 2017 from PSV. He says that he could see that Jetro was a driven individual from the start:

“Jetro can play everywhere. I knew about his time in Holland, and we were talking a little about this because in Holland he played good but, he wanted more.

“Every time he wanted more so when he went to Eintracht, the first year was not the best year for him but after he started playing a lot and he showed his skills. He showed how he played, and everyone loved him.

“Afterwards, he started talking like before. He wanted more – ‘I want to go to a bigger club’ – and I think he has a good future. Right now, he is at a big club like Newcastle, and I think he wanted more for that reason. He worked a lot, and I think he can show how he can play for sure.”

By the end, Jetro was not enjoying the best of times at Frankfurt. In fact, right before his move to Newcastle, Jetro had done some interviews in the German press about his agent trying to secure a move for him.

He had become a back-up defensive midfielder and desperately wanted to find a club where he could play in his favored left-back role. He ultimately got his move to Newcastle, and it was a long time coming for him.

Jetro Willems– signing for a big club

Jetro had been on Newcastle’s radar for some time. He had been linked ever since his good friend, and former PSV teammate, Georginio Wijnaldum joined Newcastle in the summer of 2015. Though at the time Jetro had just sustained a second significant knee injury that would keep him out until the following January.

He had suffered his first major knee injury in April 2014, in addition to two other minor knee problems in 2012 and 2013. Another Mexican international Andres Guardado, who is currently plying his trade at Real Betis, also made some comments in the Chronicle about our Dutch left-back.

This is what Guardado, who played with Jetro at PSV for three seasons, had to say about Jetro’s struggle with his knee injuries:

“He has a strong personality. In fact, that has been the key in his career. In spite of him being young, he always gave his opinion, tried to impose his style, and that made him different.

“Luckily, I only experienced his second injury. I think that every player who has had complicated injuries during their career always come back stronger than before, especially in a mental way. This strong mentality helped him and he became a more mature player. That period maybe helped him to clarify his mind and to keep growing in his career.”

Jetro seems to be past his injury woes for now. With Matt Ritchie sidelined for the next two months, Willems will get a run-out on the left for Newcastle. If he is as determined as his former teammates claim, he may make the position his own for the foreseeable future.

• cyprus

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Rob
    He did have a poor start, TBH. My apologies player of the month is Almiron. Despite the lack of goals he’s hit the ground running.

I suspect he’s still running as we speak 🙂

• cyprus

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Delete apologies.

• DAVE..TOON..9

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:34 PM

could have some decent players in now its up to manager to get the best out of them, biggest and only chance bruce will get

• DAVE..TOON..9

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:36 PM

i agree with miggy i think once he gets a goal he might calm down a bit

• Nufc-83

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Re schar I said yesterday he would be an amazing CDM/CM however I think he would leave a huge hole in our defence if he got moved forward prior to Lejuerne coming back. You really need a CB especially in a 3 who is comfortable in possession and able to ping long passes while also carrying the ball out at times.If we had Dummet, Lascelles and Fernandez we would struggle in that respect but once Lejuerne comes back he can certainly offer the passing element.

• one fine day

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM

Carltoon
    One fine day. Koh Samui. Fishers Village we stayed there for a few nights, while she was working amazing loved every minute. She took us back packing ha ha. The oldest back packets in the world. Railly beach! Don’t think she’ll ever come back to live here. HWTL.
    It’s a stunning island .love the Thais too easily the friendliest people I have ever met ( bit like Geordies:) )
    We even had our honeymoon there
    Loved the walking markets and being able to wander down the street with a pad Thai in one hand and a dodgy monito in the other
    All that alcohol on sale and I never saw one person getting out of hand or kicking off .
    Did you get your feet in the fish tanks 🙂 ?

• one fine day

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:45 PM

Miggy still my favourite player
    Goals will come .dont want him to chill as some recommend here .
    Closest we have had since HBA ..a player who gets the ball and runs at a defence and you just lift out hour seat and you just feel something might happen .
    But I think like HBA Bruce isn’t quite sure how to use him ..time will tell .

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:49 PM

Just wanted to pitch in with my thought of Schar. That goal came from proper build up play. Not something we have done alot over last few years.

But just imagine how good he would be in a team that is comfortable knocking the ball around. He’s not the best defender on the PL. But He easily has the best feet of all the defenders.

Right foot last night, left foot finish against Watford

• RobLeenio

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:59 PM

It would be a massive gamble to put Schaer in at CM. He’s currently one of our most effective players, putting him into midfield could make him one of our least effective. That could have a knock-on effect on his confidence and ruin the rest of his time with us.

We’ve seen managers playing square pegs in round holes before. Look at Florian Thauvin, one of the better European second strikers / wingers of the last few years, played as a traditional number 9 by us and looked poor.

If we had a problem or a shortage in midfield, that would maybe justify Schaer stepping in, but otherwise I doubt it’s a good idea.

• Trent1211

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:18 PM

On support for Joelinton as a no.10 we need a spearhead in CM. A Maddison, Mount type who can link the middle of the pitch and the last third. Needs legs but more importantly guile. Craft and graft. Almiron has the latter I’m not sure on the former. Misplaced passes and bad decisions too frequently. Rapid from A to B and goes at a man like HBA but Hatem has way more quality. A goal will do him wonders and v early days/acclimatising to the league but not sold. Was love at first sight on initial outing but my ardour has cooled a lot. Maybe it’s not him it’s me as they say.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:24 PM

Simon

Not getting excited but it did put a smile on my face.

• RobLeenio

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:35 PM

Op, interesting you mention the SD signs coming down at SJP. I think you’re right and it’s just for the rugby, but I saw the fan zone for that this morning on my way into work.

Big fenced off area outside the ground, big screens, bars, stage, food concessions. Looks great and I’m sure that anyone in it will have a great time tonight before, during and after the England match.

Where was it? Strawberry place. Probably would have made a fair amount of cash for the club, had NUFC still owned the land. As the club is owned by some random property developers, they’ll get the rents and corkage from the concessions. I bet it’s the club events staff who have organised the entire thing, though….

Funny how some on here don’t get that at all.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Rob

I’m unsure where it is today but its usually Strawberry pl and the SJP metro car park.

The SD shop might make a few quid, cheap trainers and boots.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Rob

Every penny that can be made by Nufc staff that is out sourced is money from the clubs profits.

All these caters etc wouldn’t be doing it if there was no profit

Why would any club want to only take a percentage of the money that it should and could be generating?

Unless Ashley has shares in the caterers etc then the only conclusion is that Ashley doesn’t want the club to grow improve and move foward.

Greed or spite?

• cyprus

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:05 PM

For a moment I thought this entire thread would’ve been about football!

• c-dog

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:12 PM

On Schars performance last night
    He is the best goal scoring center half around
    However he was abysmal defensively
    Skint by McGoldrick and Hendricks and directly at fault for two of the republics biggest chances
    McGoldrick and Hendricks do not skin many defenders. But easily got the better of Schar

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Cyprus

It’s about the football club, which passes Ed and the blogs criteria.

Football wise though I’d pick Dummet as player of the season so far, immense against spurs and has been decent in the other games.

Some excellent last ditch challenges and all round play.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:19 PM

C Dog

I’ve said before Scharr is great driving foward and on the ball but he’s suspect in his defending.

Lapses in concentration is his main problem.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Is there any decent rumours flying about?

Sheiks on a plane?

Sales to Billionaire tyre kickers?

Players we have no chance of signing?

The arrival of a new paddling pool?

Anything?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:44 PM

OP…Does SD sell paddling pools? May be able to get a decent price if they do.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:45 PM

Mind, I’m not sure an actual paddling pool is required. Surely use a gigantic SD carrier bag and fill that with water?

• Munster Mag

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:58 PM

Olg, you have some cheek. You come on here taking the mickey out of the irish. I give you some more salient examples of what this country is about. So you call me anti english. Oddball.

• Munster Mag

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Greetings Ibiza

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM

Munster…Hope all’s well with you and yours.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Ibiza

How you doing buddy?

Hows the weather?

🙂

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Its looks like the blog consists of myself Ibiza and Munster.

Everyone else must be Jib

• Ibizatoon

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:11 PM

OP…Not too shabby, thanks. Weather is a little stormy at present…but it’s welcomed after a hot summer. How’s things your end?

Tbh, I had started to wonder whether I existed or whether I was just one of Jib’s accounts.

• RobLeenio

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:12 PM

Lol, I’m not Jib, I can assure you.

As for rumours, I’m hearing of some vague possibility of competence by men dressed in white in Manchester.

Surely unfounded.

• Online Guy

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:12 PM

Schars goal was superb..well worked on, a training ground Goal against the slow Irish

• Online Guy

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:17 PM

Munster

my great great Grandfather .. Irish .

Love Ireland Love the Irish.

• Online Guy

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:19 PM

#29..slow Irish defence.

• Online Guy

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:22 PM

Jib will be off getting his in-growing toenails sorted .. he’ll be a new man when he comes back .

Posada .

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:27 PM

Ibiza

The only thing here that changes is the weather.

I rescued a dog and called him five O.

• AncientC

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:31 PM

I was reading in The Chronicle that the club were trying to sign Roberto Baggio during the Keegan era. You really could not fault the ambition under John Hall. That is almost the equivalent of Charnley flying to Paris to try and sign Neymar—only Baggio was much better than Neymar is. How the times have changed…

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Schar in midfield why not
    You could play the defences central pairing of Lascalles and Fernandez (who in my opinion was it best defender until getting injured last season)
    Why not give it a go at Liverpool
    Dubravka
    Manquilla, Fernandez, Lascalles, Dummett
    Longstaffe, Hayden, Schar, Willems
    Almiron, JoeLinton
    I know I have dropped Atsu who had a excellent game alongside Willems, Schar and Almiron bringing the ball out of defence might work
    Whatever line up going to be tough against the dippers.

• carltoon

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:56 PM

OP Dummet should have player of the month purely for his game against Spurs. He was Magnificent.

• jane

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:05 PM

cyprus bad start for Cyprus.

• hibbit

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:06 PM

carltoon total agree the lad was outstanding and doesn’t get the respect he deserves on here

• Ron Knee

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:19 PM

A sports bookshop in Newcastle upon Tyne has announced that it will not stock Michael Owen’s new memoir Reboot, after early extracts revealed the footballer’s reluctance to move from Real Madrid to Newcastle United in 2005, writing: “I don’t need to justify myself to f**king Newcastle fans.”

Newcastle-based The Back Page, which describes itself as the largest stockist of sports books in the world, said that Reboot is “the first book we have ever totally refused to stock”. (Grauniad)

• Munster Mag

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:41 PM

OLG, well if you love the Irish , you will know a bit about us. And in general we dont like having the p*ss taken out of us by the English. Anyway, forget about it, leave it at that, no hard feelings fella.