web analytics

Star Gets The Call For His Nation And Tells Why He’s Happy At Newcastle

Martin Dubravka has been selected to start tonight for Slovakia at home against Croatia in their EURO qualifier.

We see that Marek Hamsik is in the side. Hamsik is currently playing for Rafa Benitez at Dalian Yifang. He also played for Rafa at Napoli. We wonder if Martin and Marek have swapped some Rafa stories while preparing for their two international fixtures.

Dubravka recently spoke about his former manager as well as his current one while on international duty. Tribal Football has published some of his comments. This is what he had to say:

“It would be difficult for any coach coming after Benitez because he has a name. People loved him there. Bruce was given the opportunity. It is challenging and he strives to motivate us a lot in matches and in training.”

Martin joined Newcastle on loan in January 2018. He was on the bench in his first game at Burnley but made his wonderful debut a week later against Manchester United at St James Park.

That game was Martin’s first of 54 straight starts for Newcastle United. It was also the first of his 16 clean sheets. It was quite a first impression.

Rafa Benitez was the coach who gave him his first taste of Premier League football. That has continued under Steve Bruce as Martin is easily the best keeper at the club.

Despite interest in Dubravka over the summer, he seems very happy at Newcastle as long as he is getting on the pitch. This is what he said about his current status as Newcastle’s number one keeper:

“It is important to me that my position has not changed.

“I’m continuing (to play) and I’m happy about it.

Dubravka has turned out to be some buy for Newcastle. He was bought for just £4.0M from Sparta Prague last summer. His current deal runs until 2022 but he may be in line for a raise. Dubravka has certainly proven his worth to this club.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Has the rugby started yet?

They’re making some noise, can hear them in Heaton in the house.

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:53 PM

Yeah, 7 minutes ago and England have a penalty on the board as well.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:17 PM

I’m watching Scotland Russis but flicking between Belgium San Marino and Germany Holland

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:22 PM

Haha, I’m flickibg between rugby, scotland and wales. Both Scotland and Wales got huge slices of luck for their goals!!

I hate international football 90% of the time, most of the games are awful, or one way. Scotland Russia is juat so slow paced and lacking any real intensity. Wales at least have a fair bit of attacking intent.

• Moonraker15

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Munster
    From previous post #4

Bellamy comes close, although a very good player apparently he is an arrogant pr*ck and recently sacked for bullying!

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Why weren’t the u21’s on? That looks to have been a cracker!

• jane

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:24 PM

San Marino holding Belgium!

• jane

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:29 PM

couldn’t last

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:29 PM

Moonraker,
    I’ve met Craig a few times and spoken quite a bit with people that ran the football academy he set up in Sierra Leone. I’m not sure I’d describe him as a bully from what I’ve seen and been told (obviously there is something that has happened at Cardiff which suggests the opposite), and he is definitely no more arrogant prick than most footballers.

What I would say is he has a very short temper, and can’t really control it. With his reputation, and a face that looks like a rat chewing wasps, he gets himself into trouble.

Not saying he is a great guy aside from that, but more that he isn’t much worse than many others.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:31 PM

Just turned over to see dubs concede

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:31 PM

Struggling to think of someone worse than Owen to be fair, at least in my life time. Distin hardly endeared himself to fans, and Jenas mouthed off a bit. Bowyer was an arsehole, and Dyer was stupid and easily led.

• jane

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:33 PM

you are thinking of players the fans disliked the most?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:34 PM

Jane

Belgium were awarded a free kick that was never a free kick, from the free kick ball to hand the defender couldn’t get out the way of PEN.

It was like watching the refs against Nufc.

San Marino unlucky to be behind.

• jane

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:36 PM

or biggest character flaws?

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:36 PM

Jane,
    Munster asked if there was a bigger prick than Owen to play for the club. Until this book, I doubt I’d have gone for Owen, he had drifted off into my sub conciousness as a non entity.

But, I guess he knew that releasing bits on Shearer would be explosive and get him the promo that he needed, and it certainly has done that.

• jane

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM

spoil sport ref should be helping underdogs.

• jane

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:38 PM

i’ll have to google the definition of prick 😐

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:43 PM

Looking ahead (probably over ambitiously) to January, it will be interesting to see what happens with Loftus Cheek. Mount has come in, done really well, and is clearly very trusted by Lampard following last season. You start to question where Cheek slots in, and whether he would be prepared to stay having been over taken by Mount.

He would be an excellent addition to our midfield and has the game and ability to slot in as competition for both Hayden and Longstaff.

Clearly huge question marks about whether he would want to join, and it would depend where we are in the league, but as a platform to kickstart his career again, we offer a stage and opportunity to prove he can handle pressure and perform.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Jane,
    Haha, sorry, I just didn’t want to misrepresent the original question. Shall we go with despicable individual?

• Moonraker15

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:46 PM

Lilongwe
    If you’ve met Bellers then you’re probably in a better position to judge but his career is full of incidents like the famous golf club incident etc. Have to say he’s a lot more interesting than Owen who’s a boring fart apart from being arrogant; and dishonestly greedy.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:47 PM

Ampadu comes back to Chelsea next summer as well, and I think he will be in the first team next season. Frank splashes a bit of cash when the ban ends. Both Chelsea and the player may be tempted by a bid.

Probably talking £20-30million though, so i should probably give up on trying to make a case for it in my head….

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:51 PM

I hated Owen before he came to us and knew it would be a mistake.

At the time I was telling mates we should be going for Anelka and Yakubu who went for the same price as Owen combined.

I’m sure I remember a story at the time that we didn’t shell out much for Owen because Real still hadn’t paid us for Woodgate. Read it somewhere.

Arrogant tool, more interested in the horses, probably dreamed of being a jockey.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:52 PM

Moonraker,
    You’ll find a lot of incidents involving Bellamy start with some sort of comment, or several comments and he just snaps and kicks off. He shouldn’t, and his is by no means excusing his behaviour. Because he is who he is, all focus goes on him, and he is the person who gets the reputation.

This then just encourages others to wind him up etc, etc. He should have learned to deal with it all, but didn’t.

On the bullying at Cardiff, don’t know much on that, but I’d imagine he has got himself frustrated and worked up over something and gone to far. Not bullying neccessarily, but certainly not acceptable, and definitely something that he had to lose his job for.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:53 PM

I remember the story of Bellamy in the papers attacking Carver with a table in the players lounge at the airport.

Some boy Craig, tables are bolted to the floor.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:56 PM

OP,
    Ha, Anelka?? I’m not sure he is overly popular anywhere he played either!

Not sure I’d have wanted any of those 3, but to be honest I can’t remember who I would have wanted from that time.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:58 PM

Have to say, I loved Bellers at Newcastle, he gave Shearer a new lease of life by doing the running and pressing off the ball for both of them.

• Pain in the Blog

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:59 PM

Ron #37 a few threads ago about 7pm,

‘Has meekly (anag). But where’s the letter “i” in the clue?”

The clue was ‘Has meekly compromised over current British businessman’ (4,6)

The SI unit for current is the amp or ampere. Its unit is ‘i’, which is a common crossword clue. ‘Over’ implies included in. Simples.

• Pain in the Blog

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:04 PM

Simples, that is, if you have a twisted enough mind.