web analytics

Former Newcastle Defender Talks About New Signing Who “Gives You Everything”

Warren Barton joined Newcastle in 1995 from Wimbledon for £4m in what was then a record fee for a defender. The right-back spent 7 seasons on Tyneside before leaving to join Derby on a free in 2002. He made 189 appearances for Newcastle.

Warren is currently an excellent pundit for Fox Sports in the states. Whenever we watch him and Newcastle United come up, Warren is filled with praise for his time at the club. Over the past few seasons, though, he has not been too pleased with our plight, and the mistakes made by the current owner. However, he always seems to have time to talk about the club.

The Chronicle spoke to Barton last December, and this is what he had to say about the club and city:

“Newcastle are a big club. They always have been with this fan base.

“Ignore what the pundits say, it shows their ignorance to the area and the people. It’s a vibrant city.

“It still gives me goosebumps when you come in the train station, and the stadium is the first thing you see – it takes my breath away. It might not be everybody’s cup of tea, but it is mine.”

The Chronicle have reached out to Barton again to talk about Newcastle this season.

One of the topics of conversation is one that Barton knows all too well. That is evaluating the game of our new right-back Emil Krafth. Having made so many appearances at right-back at Newcastle, Warren is the perfect person to ask about how Emil is faring so far in his Newcastle career:

“He looks like a player who maybe needs to refine his game a little bit, but there have been signs.

“It was difficult against Norwich. I’m sitting there thinking this was Norwich, and we’re playing five at the back.

“But I’ve seen a willingness from Krafth to get forward, but against Norwich, he wasn’t the only one who was left wanting a little bit, but from what I’ve seen him of him I like.

“He gives you everything, trying his hardest and sometimes I think that is all you can ask for.

“Is it enough? Maybe not, but let’s support everyone and give him a chance because he does look like a player who wants to wear his heart on his sleeve.”

We think Emil has had a steady start to his career thus far. The Norwich debacle saw practically the entire team have a poor outing. It was a hard debut for Krafth, but he gave his all. We remember Pukki’s final goal and watching Krafth fall to the pitch in exasperation. It was a reaction that showed he cared.

He has shown a lot more since then but certainly needs refinement. However, he is a player who has impressed us so far. With it being just about a month since his arrival, we have every reason to believe the best is yet to come from the 25-year-old.

• Ron Knee

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM

So Rashford is preferred over Jadon Sancho!

• Trent1211

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:17 PM

Jesus shed a tear I am not popular with the bus driver. I go to get on the bus and he pulls away, repeatedly!

• Trent1211

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM

Shame Ron I really wanted to see Sancho again. Fantastic talent.

• Ron Knee

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:23 PM

A conservative selection, Trent.

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM

Trent I completely agree with you not sure why you think any different? Do you think I am saying Ashley is investing in the club as I have said many times now he is not? I just don’t agree that he is taking money out the club like many would have you believe. It’s all to see in the accounts see this link for a clear picture:

• geordietom

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM

posh …

sorry mate did’nt know there was any posh geordie’s not where i come from anyway …

😀

• Trent1211

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:26 PM

It is Ron. Particularly at full back. Surely you go TAA at RB. I like Rose but I’m a bigger fan of Chilwell. Had also hoped to see one of Mount or Maddison. Concede I am guilty of wanting to see the new lads ahead of familiar faces as a general rule.

• geordietom

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:27 PM

MINDSHAFT …

your comment from previous made me laugh mate …

• Trent1211

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:32 PM

No 83 not accusing you of that but there seemed to be rumblings of fiscal propriety by Ashley and him being above board. I think he’s draining the club at best and a crook at worst with us just waiting to understand the extent of the corruption at the club. Agents fees in particular. Speculation though to be fair.

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Genj I can’t believe I am having to explain this to a toon fan as it’s obvious. Commercial has not grown because when he took over us we were considered a huge club and living on the entertainers image.we had been playing in Europe the season prior with shearer as top scorer. We had many fans across the globe and revenues were higher than most such as Everton and West Ham as you state. Since then he has invested nothing and made some of the worst decisions I have seen made in football. We have been relegated twice for Christ sake do you expect us to start selling more shirts than the era mentioned?

• toon22

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Nufc83

If Jabba is so above board with the accounts why is he currently under multiple investigations by the HMRC ?
    Why has the clubs debt gone up when it’s reviving more income and spending less of it ?
    Why are we only reviving about iirc 80 grand a year from SD for all the adverts ?

The list is as long as your arm

Maybe you can point out where all the money went

• toon22

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Reviving— receiving

• toon22

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Billed as our saviour
    In reality he’s been the worst nightmare imaginable
    There’s not much he could have done worse if he tried

Claiming the accounts are all above board is insulting, you think that paint they used was about 2 million a tin ?

• IrishRob

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM

No.1 Baby, and I dont mean myself, the England match was only a slip up or a sympathy game to lull the rival teams into a false sense of security. IRELAND for the Rugby WC.

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Open the article you can see it as clear as day. I am not saying Ashley is fully above board in all aspects of his business dealings however I couldn’t care less about what happens with SD etc. I just don’t believe he is taking mass amounts of money out of Newcastle United for his own purposes. I think he is using it s a massive advertising vehicle and thinks (or is) just keeping the club ticking over on what it earns without investing into it to make it better.

I can tell you nothing will be done with HRMC that is significant regarding Newcastle.

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:52 PM

Tell me a specific year you think he pulled large amounts of money out and we can review the accounts for that year in detail? Tell me what year has very suspicious revenue?

• toon22

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Nufc83

If he falls foul of the HMRC he is likely to fall foul of the Prems fit and proper rules
    They are different to the rest of the league

It’s plausible his shenanigans with other companies will leave him unable to own any prem club

• toon22

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:00 PM

As for dates 2007 / 2019
    6 million net in 12 years

• toon22

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:00 PM

It’s odd you arnt happy at even the slightest chance of it happening

• toon22

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Oh that 6 million also depends on believing we spent 40 on Joe
    Something that’s not as straightforward as it should be

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:03 PM

I’m not sure what would happen? Have to sell up cheaply?? I would be very happy I just don’t see it.

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:05 PM

See you have to quote lies to try and get your argument over. The figures are there for everyone to see in that article does that would put at 6m/year from 2007?? I can see why I’m having trouble lol.

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Wow phone stalled.

• Nufc-83

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Does that work out at*

• NY Mag

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:11 PM

toon22,

I have to congratulate you on post #18
    I literally laughed out loud at that…..brilliant